Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,091 members, 7,849,412 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 08:57 PM

North Invokes Child Support Law - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / North Invokes Child Support Law (750 Views)

Not The Father BUT Must Pay Child Support / "Why Should I Pay Child Support For A Child I Didn't Want?" / Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

North Invokes Child Support Law by AloyEmeka6: 9:24pm On Aug 26, 2009
States in the North West to introduce new marriage law
By Abubakar Sharada, Reporter, Dutse

States in Nigeria's North West geopolitical zone are to promulgate a law for new couples to register their marriage with certain terms and conditions to be agreed upon.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/aug/26/404.html

This was part of the resolution reached at the end of a validation meeting in Dutse for the Islamic Family Law project organised by WRAPA and Jigawa State government.

"Marriage should be registered to include certain agreements between spouses, but no terms that violate the Sharia should be included in the agreement," said the communiquÈ, which was jointly signed by chief judges of Katsina and Jigawa states, Justices Sadiq Mahuta and Tijjani Abubakar, as well as the Qadi of Kaduna State, respectively.

The meeting advised state governments from the region to legislate to make provision for the registration of marriages, which it argued, would go along way in protecting the rights of women.

Also, the meeting resolved that couples be encouraged to undergo HIV/AIDS test before the marriage is contracted.

This, according to it, is aimed at reducing the scourge of the dreaded disease among the Muslim Ummah.

Other resolutions reached included the provision of at least one room, a toilet and kitchen by the husband to his wife before the marriage as well as ensuring the buying of at least three sets of clothing every year for the wife.

In the same vein, the meeting has endorsed that custody of children should be under the care of mother after divorce and that husband should provide a minimum of N2,000 per child per month for the maintenance of the children.

He should also provide the divorced woman with an accommodation and clothe the children at least three times a year.

It commended the Jigawa State Government for its support and assistance for the successful hosting of the meeting.
Re: North Invokes Child Support Law by AloyEmeka6: 11:04pm On Aug 26, 2009
This law should be implemented in every section of Nigeria. Minimum of N15K per child every month. N2K is too small.
Re: North Invokes Child Support Law by Sissy3(f): 1:34am On Aug 27, 2009
good thing the law is introduced but methinks the amount is too small at least they should increase for those making more. what can that amount actually do for lets say a family of 5 or more? is it even more to buy the school uniforms and books? or pay school fees? or pay medical expense?
Re: North Invokes Child Support Law by AloyEmeka6: 7:08pm On Aug 27, 2009
You should be praying for them to uphold the 2000 sef because some men will still not pay shishi. If the man has up to 10 kids, it will be about 20k a month and what if he is a gate man who earns 22K a month?
Re: North Invokes Child Support Law by Fhemmmy: 9:02pm On Aug 27, 2009
I have always known that this Sharia has potentials, however, will it be implemented?
Finally some group of people are using their heads to think, if they can overhaul this Sharia law, i wont mind being used all over Nigeria, if they make it to be applicable to both rich and poor.
Re: North Invokes Child Support Law by Outstrip(f): 5:45am On Aug 28, 2009
It is still a good thing. Maybe that will stop all these idiots from having seven children when they know they can not feed one. I don't know why the south never comes up with stuff like this. We are usually too busy pulling each other down
Re: North Invokes Child Support Law by Sissy3(f): 5:46am On Aug 28, 2009
but will the law be enforced if any of them refuse to pay?
Re: North Invokes Child Support Law by Fhemmmy: 1:49pm On Aug 28, 2009
Outstrip:

It is still a good thing. Maybe that will stop all these idiots from having seven children when they know they can not feed one. I don't know why the south never comes up with stuff like this. We are usually too busy pulling each other down

I think it shd be a national law and not a state law.
~Sissy~:

but will the law be enforced if any of them refuse to pay?

If they refused to pay, they shd be jailed, shikena
Re: North Invokes Child Support Law by SisiKill1: 3:53pm On Aug 28, 2009
Yet they call us uneducated cry cry
Re: North Invokes Child Support Law by olanajim(m): 7:47pm On Aug 28, 2009
The Shariah law I know is very kind to women. There is nothing in the resolution that will surprise enlightened muslims. That they come up with the law indicated they admit many people are abusing polygamy.

I have seen the resolutions in practice among few muslims even before it come out.

The implication of the law, if implemented, will be that divorce, which is permitted under sharia, will be discouraged, just as people will think twice before turning their wives to baby factories. What is more, the time of divorcing a wife to marry another, will be checked.

Great resolution!

For those who want it in the South, I just laugh. Human Rights will fight it to the end.
Re: North Invokes Child Support Law by AloyEmeka3: 5:03pm On Oct 08, 2009
If this is one benefit of Sharia law, I would careless about it. We don't need sharia law in the south to tell us how to take care of our offspring.
Re: North Invokes Child Support Law by Fhemmmy: 5:05pm On Oct 08, 2009
Aloy`Emeka:

If this is one benefit of Sharia law, I would careless about it. We don't need sharia law in the south to tell us how to take care of our offspring.

I think there is a need to look for a way to take care of the kids in the North, I am not in support of Sharia, cos it is barbaric and not fair to women, nor poor people.
Re: North Invokes Child Support Law by citizenY(m): 5:19pm On Oct 08, 2009
@posters

Change may come in trickles but surely it will. This development is just institutionalization of already existing
principles regulating marriages. I am really amused when I see people making rather halfhearted endorsements.
Blowing hot and cold.
Re: North Invokes Child Support Law by AloyEmeka3: 5:30pm On Oct 08, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I think there is a need to look for a way to take care of the kids in the North, I am not in support of Sharia, cos it is barbaric and not fair to women, nor poor people.

Don't mind olanaJI that has turned this into a weapon of yabbing the south. What good comes out from sharia?
Re: North Invokes Child Support Law by AloyEmeka3: 5:32pm On Oct 08, 2009
Sisi_Kill:

Yet they call us uneducated  cry cry

It doesn't mean the few educated in the north are not functional. As a matter of fact, they will be more functional there because majority of their citizens are illiterates and will take whatever they say hook, line and sinker.
Re: North Invokes Child Support Law by Fhemmmy: 6:32pm On Oct 08, 2009
Lol
Re: North Invokes Child Support Law by mamagee6(f): 6:44pm On Oct 08, 2009
Child Support ni, Child support ko. undecided
Re: North Invokes Child Support Law by Fhemmmy: 7:27pm On Oct 08, 2009
,mama-gee:

Child Support ni, Child support ko. undecided

Why is that?
Re: North Invokes Child Support Law by AloyEmeka3: 4:32am On Oct 09, 2009
That is Nigerians for you. Do something for them, they complain; stop doing anything. they still complain.

(1) (Reply)

... / Dependence After Grad: Why are so many young people taking so long to grow up? / My Wife's Elder Bother And Mother Decides What Happens In My Home, Pls Advise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.