Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

I’ve Lost A Father – Odartey Lamptey Mourns Keshi. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / I’ve Lost A Father – Odartey Lamptey Mourns Keshi. (876 Views)

Portion Of Stephen Keshi Stadium Collapses In Asaba,Cars Destroyed. Photos / Odartey Lamptey Discovers 3 Of His Kids Are Not His / Stephen Keshi Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I’ve Lost A Father – Odartey Lamptey Mourns Keshi. by naptu2: 11:50am On Jun 08, 2016
Here's a little background for people who don't know who Nii Odartey Lamptey is.

Odartey Lamptey was the star of the ghanaian team that won the 1991 under 17 World Cup in Italy. He was so good that many people (including me) predicted that he would be a greater star than Abedi Pele.

The Ghanaian authorities felt that it would be better to have the core of the Black Stars playing in Ghana, so that they can blend easily, so they refused to allow Lamptey join a foreign club (they also raised money to ensure that Edward Ansah returned to Ghana from Iwuanyanwu Nationale).

Stephen Keshi smuggled Lamptey from Ghana to Nigeria and got him a nigerian passport. He then took Lamptey to Belgium and got him a contract at Anderlecht. Lamptey lived with Keshi for the first 6 months that he was in Belgium. Here is his reaction to the news of Keshi's death.

[size=14pt]I’ve lost a father – Odartey mourns Keshi.[/size]
Sports News of Wednesday, 8 June 2016

Former member of Ghana’s Senior National Team (Black Stars) Nii Odartey Lamptey says he’s saddened by the death of Nigerian football legend Stephen Keshie, who gave him a life as a young man while growing up.

Odartey mourning the one who adopted him as a son while making earnest bid to enter international football on Anopa Kasapa on Kasapa 102.5 FM Wednesday, said beyond the football life he also had very intimate relationship with the deceased- presumably like a father.

“I stayed with him for a minimum of six months and he fed me on daily basis, encouraged me and all that,” he said, adding that Keshie will forever remain in his heart for the support he gave him in life.

“He did a lot for me. My first contract I signed in Europe- Belgium he went with me and signed the contract for me. What he’s done for me I can’t pay him back. I appreciate him a lot,” Odartey mourned the soccer legend.

Keshi died in the early hours of Wednesday in his home state of Benin City at the age of 54.

This shocking news comes just one year after the former international defender who has the envious record of winning the Africa Cup of Nations as player and then a coach, lost his wife Kate after a prolonged battle with cancer.

Many people mourning Keshi’s death say this comes as a shock because there were no signs of illness and has been only recently linked with South African side Orlando Pirates.

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/soccer/I-ve-lost-a-father-Odartey-mourns-Keshie-445769

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’ve Lost A Father – Odartey Lamptey Mourns Keshi. by naptu2: 11:52am On Jun 08, 2016
Nii Odartey Lamptey played for Anderlecht, PSV Eindhoven and Aston Villa. His career was cut short by personal problems. Some people believe that too much pressure was put on him (he was just 16 when he signed for Anderlecht).

Odartey Lamptey won the U17 World Cup and Olympic bronze medal with Ghana.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I’ve Lost A Father – Odartey Lamptey Mourns Keshi. by fctguy: 1:18pm On Jun 08, 2016
the people you help will remain your legacy after your departure not the riches you amass

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Amputee Footballer Finally Laid To Rest (pics) / Leicester Willing To Smash Their Transfer Record On Ahmed Musa / Manchester United Fans React To Romelu Lukaku’s First Touch V Valerenga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.