Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,833 members, 7,813,780 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:10 PM

”I Would Rather Quit Singing Than Going Into Secular Music” – Ryta Ritche - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / ”I Would Rather Quit Singing Than Going Into Secular Music” – Ryta Ritche (582 Views)

I Would Rather Quit Music Than Accept Wizkid Is More Talented Than Me – Davido S / Frank Edwards Message To Nigerian Secular Artistes / 7 Nigerian Musicians Who Made It In Secular Music After Leaving The Church Choir (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

”I Would Rather Quit Singing Than Going Into Secular Music” – Ryta Ritche by Triton1996(m): 12:24pm On Jun 08, 2016
Ryta Ritche, a gospel singer based in Lagos, comes from a strong Christian home and is following her passion. In this interview, she talks about offers in secular music she has had to turn down, and about a track she has that is prominent on You Tube, radio and television stations. She also talks about another track which will be out very soon, and much more

Q: Why did you choose gospel music?

R- It has always been a passion, right from childhood. I come from a very strong Christian home and I have five brothers, four of which are pastors, and a sister who is a pastor, too. That is not the point actually. The point is, this race is a personal thing. It’s a calling on its own. I’ve had so many offers to do secular, clubbing etc , but it has never been me. Even one of the days I was like I should do it. The voice I heard from God was, ‘If you try it, I will take away that voice from you.’ So from there I become so scared. But the truth of the matter is this: where God has called me to and I’m holding onto it, nothing can take it. It’s better for me to stop singing than leaving the line I’m in now.

A lot of people believe gospel singers are not well compensated. What’s your take on that?

Yes, I agree, but one thing I’ll say is this: If a church invites you, you can’t compare Gospel and secular, because secular artistes do their thing the way they like but this one has to do with God

R- When I was little. That song titled ‘Kpami’ has been in my mind. The meaning is praise & the lyrics say, ‘wherever you are, in whatever situation, always remember it will get better’. I was passing by somewhere in delta &I saw beggars begging & I saw another who was crippled but wasn’t begging, he was praising God in church when I saw that I was like these are others on the other side & they don’t really have a serious defect but a crippled man is praising God. That song came to me that wherever you are, whatever you do, give him praise because he deserves it & whatever he has decided to give to you, no man can take it.

What have been the challenges so far?

Sometimes I get frustrated but the frustrating part of it is the challenge. The challenge is, most people look down on me like what do I have to offer them in the area of sponsorship. You can’t do things on your own. Even the ministry has its own business aspect. The challenging aspect is sponsorship, publicity; those are the important things that need to come up. There are many out there but no one to pick them up.

There are several gospel artists, what stands you out?

In Christ, we are one but we are different people in traditions, vocals, looks, e.t.c. What makes me different is God. There are people out there who do more than me. I’m not perfect, I’m doing it the way God wants me to. I’m not limited to just praise. I’m a worshipper and my next single is going to be mind-blowing because it’s worship and I can’t wait to have it.

A lot of people have been expecting you to come out with an album. When should they be expecting?

I’ll say soon, because I still need sponsorship, publicity and all of that. I wouldn’t say because of sponsorship, my album will come out very soon and I know it’s going to go viral. I’m not limited.

You are a great worshipper. Where did you get the talent from; was it inborn?

Worship is a spirit. The bible says those that worship God must worship in spirit him in truth. When it comes to worship, I don’t need to tell you to raise your hands or open your mouth before you worship. If truly you are a worshipper, you don’t need anybody to tell you except you don’t do it in your privacy. There are people who go into spirit even before the minister comes up; those are worshippers. It’s a spirit, it’s something I developed, I love worship. I came from a family full of church things and my mum was a very good singer. I took after her but mine is beyond hers. God gave me hers and added to it.

Everybody has someone he or she looks up to; who do you look up to?

I had a mentor but now she’s deceased. I wept when she died. She’s a secular artiste but I’m not in for her secular songs, I’m in for her songs. She is Whitney Houston. I love her so much. Then when I was in Winners’ Chapel, on Saturday after rehearsals, I’d tell others that we should hold hands to pray for her; that’s the level of my love for her. In Nigeria, I love local music ’cos this is Africa. I loved Akanchanwa, e.t.c. ‘cos I’m into both the local & international. They even used to call me ‘Akanchanwa & Whitney Houston in church then. I like Sinach too.

In the next five years, where do you want to be; how do you want to see your band?

It all belongs to God. The dream is very high. I would have said the same thing if someone asked me five years ago. God knows better. Yes, you have a dream but sometimes what you intend doing doesn’t work out. If you had asked me five years ago, I would say my music would have gone far, I’ll be travelling everywhere but sometimes things don’t come the way you expect them to come. Though I’m not where I used to be, I know in the next five years, I won’t be here.

If you were offered N50 million to sing secular music in the club, what will you do?

I won’t sell my soul for the things of the world. I’m not judging anyone. Five or six years ago, a programme came up: they had this upcoming secular artist and I was called and even did rehearsal. On the day of the programme, I hid myself from the camera because I didn’t want anyone to see me on air. But while I was there, in my heart I was seriously bitter because that was not my line. God hadn’t called me to do secular song. I’ve had so many offers but that’s not me. In fact, someone told me he wanted to link me to D’banj but I said I didn’t want. y.

Finally, are you into Gospel fully or you have something else to offer?

I’m into gospel fully but I still have something else doing, because even with the money you get from churches, you still pay your band members. I’m a business person and a beautician. I’m into salon work – spa. I love handwork a lot. I have so many handworks.

What’s the greatest advice someone has ever given to you?

‘Don’t give up.’ I hear the voice, like, ‘Hello, you didn’t give this to yourself, you are going nowhere.’

http://www.saharaweeklyng.com/i-would-rather-quit-singing-than-going-into-secular-music-gospel-artiste-ryta-ritche/

1 Share

Re: ”I Would Rather Quit Singing Than Going Into Secular Music” – Ryta Ritche by opeyemiieblog(m): 2:16pm On Jun 08, 2016
nice decision

(1) (Reply)

Nollywood Stars Flood Henrietta Kosoko’s Wake Keep[photos] / Blackface Rants Again On Instagram, Says He Will Meet Tuface In Court Soon / Actor, Kalu Ikeagwu Set To Wed His Make-up Artist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.