Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,909 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:55 PM

Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm (53888 Views)

My Watermelon Farm Turn Cassava Farm / The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) / Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by God2man(m): 7:22am On Jun 09, 2016
This is very good.
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by Adet5(m): 7:27am On Jun 09, 2016
SuperSuave:
Week 7- you can see nylon underneath the fruits, I was trying to prevent rot grin

Week 8- The nylon was retaining water so opted for banana leaves
..,........-I made a small tomatoes bed beside the watermelon farm as tomato don turn gold for market grin

Week 10- Those two are almost ready for harvest
.....you can see the maize I planted in between the watermelons

Pls which month of the year can we plant watermelon? Feb, march or April?
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by mapet: 7:39am On Jun 09, 2016
SuperSuave:

MrKong: :
I'm planning to establish one in Ilorin too when I'm back

But it looks like the productivity isn't great at that your pics
It's just a small farm sir and at the rate northerners bring in watermelon to this place I don't think it will be marketable

Even at that rate, we do not have enough water melon in the market according to ministry of Agric's stat

1 Like

Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by SuperSuave(m): 8:02am On Jun 09, 2016
mapet:

Even at that rate, we do not have enough water melon in the market according to ministry of Agric's stat
I dunno how the ministry do their thing but there are more than enough watermelons in Ilorin begging for consumers/buyers

1 Like

Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by SuperSuave(m): 8:04am On Jun 09, 2016
Adet5:

Pls which month of the year can we plant watermelon? Feb, march or April?
the very first heavy rain of the year irrespective of the month, and when the rain is about to stop just before winter. Mine was planted late march
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by mapet: 8:12am On Jun 09, 2016
SuperSuave:
I dunno how the ministry do their thing but there are more than enough watermelons in Ilorin begging for consumers/buyers

Bros,

I think there are many problems. few of the tip of my fingers are

1. We do not have defined and proper channels to move water melon as case in point. Beyond trucks dumping them in the market and malo barrows taking them into the streets.....many would have lost value before getting into our homes
2. We do not have enough for export
3. We have wack storage capacity and most get spoilt in storage and transport
4. We do not add value to it. Imagine if we start bottling fruit drinks in large scale quantity.......

Trust when we get our groove together in agric, we will see how demand will swell
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by SuperSuave(m): 8:59am On Jun 09, 2016
mapet:

Bros,

I think there are many problems. few of the tip of my fingers are

1. We do not have defined and proper channels to move water melon as case in point. Beyond trucks dumping them in the market and malo barrows taking them into the streets.....many would have lost value before getting into our homes
2. We do not have enough for export
3. We have wack storage capacity and most get spoilt in storage and transport
4. We do not add value to it. Imagine if we start bottling fruit drinks in large scale quantity.......

Trust when we get our groove together in agric, we will see how demand will swell
I agree with all your points bro, I love the 4th one and will experiment on it
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by cruz419(m): 9:12am On Jun 09, 2016
Pls,, if u don't mind am interested in knowing how to plant dis water Mellon,, can u pls give me a few details on how to go about it,, and den I stay in ilorin too hope it's not too late to start planting now...
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by toprealman: 9:13am On Jun 09, 2016
vicky3:
Nice one bro i love the spirit same thing here but my farm manager harvested and could not drop any fund wish if we could do something together i have 3 arces of land in oke odan
ur farm make sense. why not go into tomato biz....very profitable
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by SuperSuave(m): 9:27am On Jun 09, 2016
vicky3:
Nice one bro i love the spirit same thing here but my farm manager harvested and could not drop any fund wish if we could do something together i have 3 arces of land in oke odan
sorry about that bro, I'm a busy engineering student maybe sometimes later
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by gebest: 9:34am On Jun 09, 2016
SuperSuave:
I harvested 2 ripe ones yesterday, the pictures I posted were made 2weeks ago. There were 10 good ones aside those 2, remaining 8 now. Its just a small experimental farm brother smiley
ok, i tot it was only two so how u com do d ebola pest?
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by Nobody: 9:38am On Jun 09, 2016
felifeli:

How did you get rid of the pests ? I started a small farm like yours and the plants are invaded by small snails and later by those caterpillars. I abandoned the farm. Do you use pesticides. If you do, which one do you suggest?

I am a 400l student of Agriculture.Pm me if you need advice on pest control and organic pesticides to use.
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by gebest: 9:40am On Jun 09, 2016
tosyne2much:
Haba !!! Baba, no dey hate now
habaa uncle i no hate anybody na, infact more oil to his elbow.
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by felifeli: 9:44am On Jun 09, 2016
reminiscing:

I am a 400l student of Agriculture.Pm me if you need advice on pest control and organic pesticides to use.

Sorry I can't receive PM. I am not very good at these internet things. Can you just post a bit of advice here, such as best brands and their efficacy. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by Analee(f): 10:05am On Jun 09, 2016
Gm,pls am reli interestd n ds watermelon farmin,pls wil it do wel n portharcourt?if yes,pls wer can i get d seed n guide on hw 2 plant.tnx
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by SuperSuave(m): 10:34am On Jun 09, 2016
gebest:
ok, i tot it was only two so how u com do d ebola pest?
they were omly able to successfully attack the smaller ones which had been destroyed by the time I noticed them. I just crushed the ones(pests) I could with anger
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by SuperSuave(m): 10:38am On Jun 09, 2016
cruz419:
Pls,, if u don't mind am interested in knowing how to plant dis water Mellon,, can u pls give me a few details on how to go about it,, and den I stay in ilorin too hope it's not too late to start planting now...
I made small ridges first(necessary so you can easily clear growing weeds without touching the plant), then inserted the seedlings(2 to 3 in a hole) into the ridges with a depth of about 2-3cm and spacing of about 30-45cm(its important to give them space so they don't get overcrowded when spreading out).

The major post planting operations are weeding and pest control(melons do not require much water hence no need for watering)

Its biannual, you can plant early in the year with the first heavy rain or towards the end of the year with lesser rainfall before winter

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by gebest: 10:49am On Jun 09, 2016
SuperSuave:
they were omly able to successfully attack the smaller ones which had been destroyed by the time I noticed them. I just crushed the ones(pests) I could with anger
i tot watermelon does nt do well on our soil southern region, dat is only in d northern region.
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by horllamy(m): 10:56am On Jun 09, 2016
SuperSuave:
I'll consider this a success viewing the second picture wink

The second harvest was about 4days after the first, I noticed it cracked beneath so I harvested it immediately
Bro can you put me through on how to start at first place ...this is my Email: isholalukmon@gmail.com
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by tibaonnet: 11:34am On Jun 09, 2016
SuperSuave:
kindly mention me when you post them.
This is not the first time I'm getting to hear/know that melons do not require much water. in fact the smaller fruits in my own farm remained stagnant while some had only little increase in size compared to those first two and one other one that sprung before the rain was coming everyday. The tiny little one didn't survive when the rain came in heavily(it rained almost everyday for about 3weeks)
These are the pictures of my water lemon farm.
The last one is my first harvest which I had today.
Reporting from Akure.

1 Like

Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by holythug(m): 11:56am On Jun 09, 2016
dgysoft:
A beg wetin una de talk about

Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by vicky3(m): 12:14pm On Jun 09, 2016
toprealman:
ur farm make sense. why not go into tomato biz....very profitable
That a nice idea have that in mind thinking of getting another manager next month to start afresh
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by toprealman: 1:41pm On Jun 09, 2016
vicky3:

That a nice idea have that in mind thinking of getting another manager next month to start afresh
u seem to be the busy type......look for a decent smart young lad...so much money to be made man. If you were around would have shared some ideas with u.
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by placeofallure(f): 2:00pm On Jun 09, 2016
SuperSuave:
I'll consider this a success viewing the second picture wink

The second harvest was about 4days after the first, I noticed it cracked beneath so I harvested it immediately

Dunno bout agriculture not my thing. Am always afraid of scorpion, snake, ants and all. Did anyone tell you you're handsome?
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by vicky3(m): 4:15pm On Jun 09, 2016
toprealman:
u seem to be the busy type......look for a decent smart young lad...so much money to be made man. If you were around would have shared some ideas with u.
That true wai do you stay would love to hear feom you
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by vicky3(m): 4:15pm On Jun 09, 2016
toprealman:
That true wai do you stay would love to hear form you
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by toprealman: 4:35pm On Jun 09, 2016
vicky3:
That true wai do you stay would love to hear form you
down south.....
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by vicky3(m): 5:08pm On Jun 09, 2016
toprealman:
down south.....
Down south while am in abk ww could talk on 07014993831
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by SuperSuave(m): 8:09pm On Jun 09, 2016
placeofallure:

Dunno bout agriculture not my thing. Am always afraid of scorpion, snake, ants and all. Did anyone tell you you're handsome?
ants too? shocked you're such a wimpcheesy grin can we survive without the proceeds from agriculture? Mosdef NO! To your question, no cry
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by SuperSuave(m): 8:11pm On Jun 09, 2016
tibaonnet:

These are the pictures of my water lemon farm.
The last one is my first harvest which I had today.
Reporting from Akure.
wow! Your farm is quite big, I like it smiley. What other things do you grow?
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by tibaonnet: 8:38pm On Jun 09, 2016
SuperSuave:
wow! Your farm is quite big, I like it smiley. What other things do you grow?
Yam, tomatoes, pepper & maize. It's beside the heaps made for the yams that I planted the water melon.
One thing I noticed about the water melon is that it's a no nonsense crop. It does not tolerate stampede, else it withered.

1 Like

Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by SuperSuave(m): 9:34pm On Jun 09, 2016
gebest:
i tot watermelon does nt do well on our soil southern region, dat is only in d northern region.
I'm in Kwara state, never knew it would yield well over here too just decided to give it a try. I read a post from someone saying a family in Imo state grows watermelon, cucumber and sorts for a living, I don't know about the southern region but you can always try it out even if its just with 3 seedlings, there's no harm in trial.
Someone said its doing well in Edo too

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. / 50 metres diameters Rain Guns For Sale! / How To Get Best Hybrid Plantain Sucker/ Plantain Farm Management in Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.