Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:34 AM

Who Is The Best Traditional Ruler In The South East? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Is The Best Traditional Ruler In The South East? (2756 Views)

Picture Of Traditional Ruler In Nigeria / Alake Is A Junior Traditional Ruler In Yorubaland – AWUJALE / Masquerade At Burial Of Traditional Ruler. Nnewi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is The Best Traditional Ruler In The South East? by academics1: 4:09am On Jun 09, 2016
The Ooni of I've is such a man with a great vision. He has initiated some great projects within a few months in office such as his cocoa and cashew projects. Many generations to come r going to reap the fruit of these initiatives.

Is there any traditional ruler in the south is that is doing great? Pls share with me.

Thanks
Re: Who Is The Best Traditional Ruler In The South East? by chriskosherbal(m): 4:12am On Jun 09, 2016
He has done well.
Re: Who Is The Best Traditional Ruler In The South East? by DrRasheed: 5:17am On Jun 09, 2016
Ooni of ife land. Always at public discussion circle
Re: Who Is The Best Traditional Ruler In The South East? by SamuelAnyawu(m): 5:27am On Jun 09, 2016
We don't have kings in igbo land. We are all Kings cool

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Best Traditional Ruler In The South East? by WhoRUDeceiving: 5:34am On Jun 09, 2016
SamuelAnyawu:

LOL....and neither do we in the East need to praise anyone for mediocre projects anymore

5 Likes

Re: Who Is The Best Traditional Ruler In The South East? by Nobody: 6:51am On Jun 09, 2016
Similar thread opened days ago....

Some people enjoy creating disparity among tribes

ALL IGBOS ARE EQUAL, be it from the scanty section of that igbo group or the largest..

ALL IGBOS ARE EQUAL and can aspire to be the best of all IGBOS..

They dont neccessirily need to have obas or kings, you can have that in small clans which the IGBOS generally call elders..

A group of elders can take collective decision in reapect of those clans, but for a superior head... IGBO's dont have it and dont even want to because it brings about inequality.

Any ways i love their culture. If not for any reason for EQUALITY. No matter where you are or what you do, or how poor your parents are, you can be likened with any igbo in the world.

That is why they are the rulers of the middle class, you would rather see 100 millionaires than a single billionaire in the Igbo structure.

There is no discrimination, once you show ability to strive for the best.

Their strength is in their equality.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Best Traditional Ruler In The South East? by academics1: 7:53am On Jun 09, 2016
SamuelAnyawu:

Who r the Ezes and what roles do they performe. ?
Re: Who Is The Best Traditional Ruler In The South East? by JahJaa(m): 8:57am On Jun 09, 2016
academics1:

Who r the Ezes and what roles do they performe. ?
They are just ceremonial #Dontknow if my spellings are correct though. They have no special job. Every man is a king on its own. Those Ezes or kings was never our thing.... We respect those that deserve it no matter how Rich you are. Even our Politicians are not Excluded
Re: Who Is The Best Traditional Ruler In The South East? by academics1: 9:12am On Jun 09, 2016
JahJaa:
They are just ceremonial #Dontknow if my spellings are correct though. They have no special job. Every man is a king on its own. Those Ezes or kings was never our thing.... We respect those that deserve it no matter how Rich you are. Even our Politicians are not Excluded

is it the best for a nation or a people not to have a leader?

every man for himself?
Re: Who Is The Best Traditional Ruler In The South East? by AjaanaOka(m): 9:47am On Jun 09, 2016
academics1:

every man for himself?

Who told you the Igbo don't have leaders? Does a leader have to be a king?

5 Likes

Re: Who Is The Best Traditional Ruler In The South East? by olaitoro(m): 1:00pm On Jun 09, 2016
academics1:
The Ooni of I've is such a man with a great vision. He has initiated some great projects within a few months in office such as his cocoa and cashew projects. Many generations to come r going to reap the fruit of these initiatives.

Is there any traditional ruler in the south is that is doing great? Pls share with me.

Thanks

And I. Think Ooni is inferior to Alafin of oyo. The ooni is only a stooge to Yoruba politicians like Bode George and Bola Tinunu.

Alagin is the greatest of the royalties in Yoruba land
Re: Who Is The Best Traditional Ruler In The South East? by JahJaa(m): 1:17pm On Jun 09, 2016
academics1:

every man for himself?
it has been working for us years ago before the coming of white men. We dont look up to one man, we are our own leaders, do your thing while i do my thing but dont stand in my way. Thats the life igbos live. Simple n straight forward

4 Likes

Re: Who Is The Best Traditional Ruler In The South East? by JahJaa(m): 1:22pm On Jun 09, 2016
AjaanaOka:

Nice reply, a leader can come in different form. Thanks for letting him know

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Best Traditional Ruler In The South East? by academics1: 4:27am On Jun 10, 2016
AjaanaOka:

The same way u don't have respect for a king, u won't have for respect for a leaders. Every man would think he knows better than others.

By the way , @jaja is saying a different thing.
Re: Who Is The Best Traditional Ruler In The South East? by OdenigboAroli(m): 11:03am On Jun 10, 2016
academics1:

The same way u don't have respect for a king, u won't have for respect for a leaders. Every man would think he knows better than others.

By the way , @jaja is saying a different thing.

Where did he say we don't have respect for a king? He said "does a leader have to be a king"?
And why do you expect the Igbo to replicate the same structure present in your land? Beside the royal stool we have development unions who is saddled with the responsibility of town development.

3 Likes

Re: Who Is The Best Traditional Ruler In The South East? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:28pm On Jun 12, 2016
Academics1, your handle is "academics". Might as well put that to use and learn about Igbo traditional systems of governance.

Most "traditional rulers" in the southeast are not even actual "traditional rulers", as such an office did not exist in most communities. These "traditional rulers" are remnants of the warrant chief system which southeastern communities (I mean geographic southeast and not that political bs) have tried to legitimize in some way.

Despite efforts to legitimize the former warrant chief system, these "traditional rulers" remain mostly ignored. Actual traditional governance (the Ohna system in most communities) is done by councils of ofo holders (Ojiofo) and representative congress (amaala). The Ojiofo are the actual leaders. "Traditional rulers" are figureheads.

4 Likes

Re: Who Is The Best Traditional Ruler In The South East? by macof(m): 1:56am On Jun 14, 2016
olaitoro:

And I. Think Ooni is inferior to Alafin of oyo. The ooni is only a stooge to Yoruba politicians like Bode George and Bola Tinunu.

Alagin is the greatest of the royalties in Yoruba land

undecided but where did you get this from?
Re: Who Is The Best Traditional Ruler In The South East? by Stillfire: 2:56pm On Jun 14, 2016
ChinenyeN:
Academics1, your handle is "academics". Might as well put that to use and learn about Igbo traditional systems of governance.

Most "traditional rulers" in the southeast are not even actual "traditional rulers", as such an office did not exist in most communities. These "traditional rulers" are remnants of the warrant chief system which southeastern communities (I mean geographic southeast and not that political bs) have tried to legitimize in some way.

Despite efforts to legitimize the former warrant chief system, these "traditional rulers" remain mostly ignored. Actual traditional governance (the Ohna system in most communities) is done by councils of ofo holders (Ojiofo) and representative congress (amaala). The Ojiofo are the actual leaders. "Traditional rulers" are figureheads.

My great grandfather was one of the Igbo 'royal' personalities recognized by Queen Victoria during colonial rule and introduced this kingship thing. The British often reiterates how they did not 'impose' royal families on the Igbo, but that these royal families already existed. I believe the better word here should be 'prominent' not royal...prominent or accomplished families most likely Ozo titled men. Anyway, on my great grandfather's death bed, he warned all his children not to continue the tradition of kingship, that it was not the Igbo way. He told them not to fight for it, and according to my dad there are some curses associated with his kin fighting for it (my dad may have just exaggerated the curse part for emphasis). That is why in Awka today, it is not my family name that comes up under this pseudo-monarchy.

I remember Radoillo putting up a thread on the history of Awka, and he said concerning the traditional Political Structure of Modern Awka:

The Current monarch of the town, Obi Gibson Nwosu, the Eze Ụzụ II of Awka is only the third monarch in the town’s history – after Ichie Obuora Nnebe, the Ichie of Awka (he rejected the title of ‘Eze’ and chose ‘Ichie’ instead), and Obi Alfred Chikwukadibie Ndigwe, the Eze Ụzụ I. Before the adoption of the monarchy in the twentieth Century, Awka was governed by elders and ọzọ titled men.

It's embarrassing how these personalities want to legitimize this monarchy thing. I hope these people understand, they are just representatives of the people at social functions and mediators. That's all! I hope they are not there giving orders. I only have respect for Ichie Obuora Nnebe who rejected the title of Eze and chose Ichie instead. I think at the end of it all, we have ourselves to blame. Charlatans and illiterates are the ones mostly interested in traditional politics. Most of us are not even at home. Also Nollywood has helped in propagating this lie that Igboland was a Monarchical government.

5 Likes

Re: Who Is The Best Traditional Ruler In The South East? by AjaanaOka(m): 11:00pm On Jun 14, 2016
Stillfire, Onwurah Uzoku was your great-grandfather, right? Remarkable man. I learnt that when the British wanted to make him paramount chief of the whole town, he was horrified and immediately declined saying that anyone who dared take the title of 'king' of the whole town would be struck dead by the gods...or other words to that effect.

But no one ever said no to the British, and in the end he consented to share power with a number of other warrant chiefs appointed one for each of the seven quarters of the town.

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Best Traditional Ruler In The South East? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:08am On Jun 15, 2016
Stillfire, your great grandfather sounds like someone who was well-versed in the customs of his people. It was refreshing reading your post.

Often times I make a joke to my parents by calling Igboland the "Land of a Thousand Eze", and they understand the sarcasm and irony in that statement. I believe it is high time Igbo people do away with these Eze.

In Ngwaland, every community remembers its first Eze, most of which are still alive today. As someone who has been versed in my people's transitions and histories, I always cringe within myself each time an Eze or a "His Royal Highness" is mentioned. These Eze get particularly offended when they aren't addressed with "the respect they deserve", though their "office" holds no legitimate, cultural authority. I just wish that Igbo people would finally realize that it is time to do away with this.

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Best Traditional Ruler In The South East? by Stillfire: 3:34pm On Jun 15, 2016
AjaanaOka:
Stillfire, Onwurah Uzoku was your great-grandfather, right? Remarkable man. I learnt that when the British wanted to make him paramount chief of the whole town, he was horrified and immediately declined saying that anyone who dared take the title of 'king' of the whole town would be struck dead by the gods...or other words to that effect.

But no one ever said no to the British, and in the end he consented to share power with a number of other warrant chiefs appointed one for each of the seven quarters of the town.

Yes he was.

ChinenyeN:
Stillfire, your great grandfather sounds like someone who was well-versed in the customs of his people. It was refreshing reading your post.
Often times I make a joke to my parents by calling Igboland the "Land of a Thousand Eze", and they understand the sarcasm and irony in that statement. I believe it is high time Igbo people do away with these Eze.
In Ngwaland, every community remembers its first Eze, most of which are still alive today. As someone who has been versed in my people's transitions and histories, I always cringe within myself each time an Eze or a "His Royal Highness" is mentioned. These Eze get particularly offended when they aren't addressed with "the respect they deserve", though their "office" holds no legitimate, cultural authority. I just wish that Igbo people would finally realize that it is time to do away with this.

Lol, can you imagine?
I think one of the problems is that we are heavily reliant on folklore or word of mouth to propagate our customs. We are in a modern world now. We need like a constitution to write these things down. When there is no written law, anyone can wake up any day and do whatever they like. Village/town meetings don't seem to address these issues. Two years ago or so, my dad dragged us all to the Awka Union meeting, and I was disappointed. Although they were heavily involved in philanthropic ventures, I was expecting to see a thorough discussion of the customs, especially this kingship thing and gender relations (a lot of protections females had have been discarded) and how we can fit them in this modern world. It was more of a get together party. When I read old books on the Igbo, there is this consistent need in the Igbo to participate in discourse of their customs and amend where necessary to fit into an era.

3 Likes

Re: Who Is The Best Traditional Ruler In The South East? by ChinenyeN(m): 6:45pm On Jun 15, 2016
Stillfire:
[...] I think one of the problems is that we are heavily reliant on folklore or word of mouth to propagate our customs. We are in a modern world now. We need like a constitution to write these things down. [...] Two years ago or so, my dad dragged us all to the Awka Union meeting, and I was disappointed. Although they were heavily involved in philanthropic ventures, I was expecting to see a thorough discussion of the customs, especially this kingship thing and gender relations (a lot of protections females had have been discarded) and how we can fit them in this modern world. It was more of a get together party. When I read old books on the Igbo, there is this consistent need in the Igbo to participate in discourse of their customs and amend where necessary to fit into an era.

I understand your feelings of disappointment well. This is the reason why I have started writing literature in/for Ngwa. One of the pieces of literature which I am writing is specifically about this exact topic you've mentioned in this post. The premise is about a modern identity as opposed to an identity situated in the erroneous notion of a static culture and also about recognizing those other aspects of the culture which Ngwa people have been seemingly neglecting (i.e. gender, meritocracy, coming of age etc.). And of course, there isn't any way I am going to finish writing this particular piece of literature without addressing this Eze phenomenon.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Colonial Lies About Igbos: Killing Of Twins. / This Is What Arusi Means In Igbo: Don't Be Deceived / Will You Teach Your Child Your Language?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.