Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:31 AM

Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? (2765 Views)

5 Languages Die In Nigeria, Teach Your Child Your Language. / Can you translate this Colours In Your Language? / Do You Teach Your Child To Speak Your Native Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by LadyB(f): 5:18am On Mar 07, 2007
Irrespective of where you are-Will u consider your children learning or the ability to speak your  native language something that is worth it and valuable?
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by LoverBwoy(m): 3:05am On Mar 08, 2007
Yes as long as they don't ask me to teach them, i'll probably take them to granma' there they can learn respect,helping the elderly, how to cook and the language  grin
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by LadyB(f): 4:34am On Mar 09, 2007
grin grin grin @loverbwoy

u dont want to go thru the stess of teaching them urself .
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by LoverBwoy(m): 5:32am On Mar 09, 2007
Nah its too much hassle plus i dont understand every bit of the language myself plus they'll be getting Value Added lessons grin
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by Creamish(f): 5:42pm On Mar 12, 2007
I never teach myself finish!! grin
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by Seun(m): 5:48pm On Mar 12, 2007
English, the language of science and the Internet, is what they need to learn. Any other language is just a bonus.
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by jaybaby(f): 6:11pm On Mar 12, 2007
My 1st son speak my Lang & his Fathers so well
2nd tries
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by agnesoseka: 1:56pm On Mar 17, 2007
Yep, My fiance is Yoruba n Im not,so I'll teach dem my lang,since I speak fluently,while their dad can speak what he pleases to them, Gbam.
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by whiteNkem(f): 10:57pm On Mar 26, 2007
Hmm, yep, thought about this so many times! Of course I'd love my children to learn my language but timing is everything. You can't confuse a baby with 3 languages (my own, my husband's and English) so I'd first teach them English, then, as they grow up a little, start speaking Romanian to them, their daddy will be speaking igbo to them so fortunately they'll catch it all tongue

but first it's me and my hubby that'd learn the other one's language! oups tongue cheesy
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by jaybaby(f): 4:56pm On Mar 27, 2007
Nkem & Who Told U--Ugo is Going 2 Marry U? tongue
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by whiteNkem(f): 5:32pm On Mar 27, 2007
jaybaby:

Now you just take a wild guess my dear! wink
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by sisimose(f): 5:34pm On Mar 27, 2007
jaybaby

lmao , thank you
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by jaybaby(f): 8:34pm On Mar 27, 2007
Sisimose Y r u Thanking Me

Abi na U b NKEM?
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by lalaboi(m): 8:36pm On Mar 27, 2007
hw u no go teach ur pikin language plus cilture?/ u av to
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by jaybaby(f): 8:56pm On Mar 27, 2007
Ki lon so?
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by sisimose(f): 8:57pm On Mar 27, 2007
jaybaby:

jay baby
the above is why i said thank you, keep up girly , ah abi u never chop?
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by lalaboi(m): 8:57pm On Mar 27, 2007
ki lo ri? jaybaby!
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by whiteNkem(f): 9:20pm On Mar 27, 2007
@jaybaby & sisimose

how does my relationship with Daniel concern you? please, stick to the topic and mind your own!
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by sisimose(f): 9:22pm On Mar 27, 2007
lol lmao abeg no vex oh the thing no concern me at all , but e still funny to me, abi make i no laff again? shooo!! grin
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by jaybaby(f): 9:25pm On Mar 27, 2007
Nkem Darlny na waoh--Na So d tin dey Pepper U grin grin grin grin

lalaboi lo sun cheesy cheesy
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by omogenaija(f): 11:22pm On Apr 17, 2007
i teach them my language only b/c i know some stupid ass yoruba ppl will want to talk shit to my kid and my child must defend themselves
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by Ezinwannem: 3:15pm On Apr 19, 2007
ofcourse, datz one of da reasons i aint leaving ma tribe, lol
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by laudate: 5:28pm On Apr 19, 2007
What a question!

I am most definitely going to teach my child how to speak, read and write my own Naija language. I will teach him or her as much as I can of my culture, and that of the person I end up getting married to, eventually. It is compulsory and mandatory.
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by naijadiva2(f): 7:59pm On Apr 19, 2007
i'll teach them pidgin besides english because, that is all i know. however i'll let my parents teach them igbo. i refuse to let my child go about life without learning his african heritage.
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by iice(f): 12:52pm On Apr 20, 2007
Yes, and any other language i know, he shall learn
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by Seun(m): 12:40am On Apr 21, 2007
I guess I'll teach him Yoruba because it's required in the WASSCE exams. That's really a sad waste of their lives.
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by balleriina(f): 1:58am On Apr 21, 2007
i grew up in nigeria and i never got taught how to speak my native tounge, it kinda gets me down when people speak around me knowing full when i dont understand a word their saying, i mean what use is it speakin french and german without my own native tongue, i'll be taking my kids to family members to learn it, cuz they're not gonna get nothing from me lol cheesy
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by cuteass1(f): 2:36am On Apr 21, 2007
@ topic

actually, kids learn very fast, faster than 10 adults put together, yes ooh!

when a kid is small, don't bother about him learning 5languages at the same time, he's capable. And you don't even have to sit him down and teach him, he just takes it in wink

pls allow me tell two stories:

no.1
i have some cousins that were born here in Norway, and have lived here all their lives. Been on vaccation in naija like twice. The first girl is 18.
all the three kids understand everything in igbo, and not that they were thought, but their parents spoke the language wihile they grew up,and authomatically they picked it up wink

no. 2
i have a friend here. The sister is a Camerounian, married to a Nigerian. and they have two kids. The first girl, is 2,5 yrs old. Most of the people that come around her are from the mum's family, so she speaks very good camerounian. The dad tells her things in igbo, and believe it or not, she understands almost everything in igbo (though she can't speak)

in a nut shell what i'm trying to say is, don't worry about teaching your kid your language, speak it to him/her during growth, she'll grow up speaking it wink
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by YOUNGDICEs(m): 2:55pm On Apr 29, 2007
one thing with you parents's yall gotta send your children to naija evry summer.
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by laudate: 8:05pm On May 02, 2007
Seun:

I guess I'll teach him Yoruba because it's required in the WASSCE exams. That's really a sad waste of their lives.

omogenaija:

i teach them my language only b/c i know some stupid ass yoruba people will want to talk shit to my kid and my child must defend themselves

Ehn? Why this resentment towards the language? Had to learn it in high school and even though it wasn't by choice, it was well worth the hassle. We all ended up discovering that it is a rich, lyrical, rhythmic, poetic language with a lot of loaded wisdom and depth. The student who won the first prize in Yoruba, in my final year in school was an Igbo girl, who grew up in the South-west just like I did. For a lot of non-Yoruba speakers, it was a good education. We learnt about the customs, mode of greeting, lifestyle, cosmology, proverbs, idioms, world-view, oriki, philosophical thoughts etc. of the culture.

Wouldn't trade it for anything. Looking back now, it was time well-spent!
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by bluehorizo(m): 1:33pm On Apr 25, 2008
Definitely YES
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Apr 25, 2008
mine speaks my language well well,cos i tot them

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is Your Reason When Choosing The Type Of Food You Eat. / Blogs In Yoruba / 15 Common Misconceptions About Yoruba People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.