Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,510 members, 7,819,841 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (407) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (814386 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (404) (405) (406) (407) (408) (409) (410) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 5:15pm On Jan 30, 2008
Any one got today's market view
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by orisebawo(m): 5:21pm On Jan 30, 2008
I would be
kpineo:

To contribute my 2kobo. Why not if you don't already have an account with a Naija bank. Open an account with one of the Nigerian banks (not Domicilliary) and transfer funds to that account. Either using friends who want to send money to Nigeria or withdraw money from Nigeria. E.g a friend needs £5k, he transfers the Naira into your Nigerian account and you give him £5k in England and vice-versa. You have just successfully moved the funds to your Naija account without Capital Importation Cert or anything. Also you move funds to your broker from your Nigerian account and whenever you want funds from your brokerage account they move it into your Nigerian account. I do this all the time with friends and believe me there is always someone out there trying to get funds either here or in Lag, just cast your net into the field.

hope this helps.

I would be carefull about moving money (cash) around in the UK, you can be charged  for money laundering, every cash that enters your account should have an audit trail to back it up it is better to use western union or moneygram. my colleague was almost sent to jail last year for such transactions
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bigjay01(m): 5:21pm On Jan 30, 2008
come on guys has anyone rcvd trade alert 2day?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 5:21pm On Jan 30, 2008
Surprises:

OFFER ALLOTMENT

I hear that with SPECIAL arrangement, one can get all its allotment in some public offers.  A friend did it, and he got all 5,000,000 units.  Is this practice ok by SEC?  With all these returned money, should one be surprised?  Have you heard something similar?  Japaul and Int. Breweries are a case in point.

Forget it!!! Even those that went under preferentiall allotment did not get all they wanted. Just check out Access Bank for example. While it is advantageous, it is not full proof.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tboy1(m): 5:23pm On Jan 30, 2008
@dollyp1cute /wanaj0

I've got a couple of shares last yr and so far the profits looks good for now. Now i'm thinking of getting skyebank shares- do u think its a good buy, because i bought some bank shares last yr and some r not doin well at all.

Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 5:23pm On Jan 30, 2008
@Pumping 777,

God bless you . You are the true son of your father.

Keep on Pumping.

Peace.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kpineo: 5:27pm On Jan 30, 2008
orisebawo:

I would be
I would be carefull about moving money (cash) around in the UK, you can be charged  for money laundering, every cash that enters your account should have an audit trail to back it up it is better to use western union or moneygram. my colleague was almost sent to jail last year for such transactions
bros are you telling me if i owe you £10K, i can't pay it into your account in the UK. It's not like you are going to be moving £100K weekly. As a matter of fact your bank will kill you with letters in the post, pre-approved things.
I see you want to add to western unions profit margin. As for me and my house no tax and no transfer fees. Remember profit was not made in UK, so y should i pay tax to the UK government again[b].---"double taxation"[/b]
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hbrednic: 5:27pm On Jan 30, 2008
@hbrednic
I asked my bank and this is strange to them. they only send confirmation of transmital of funds
[quote][/quote]

what bank is that?
stop asking the cashiers,just move to the foreign exchange section.they will do the trick once the money came in through them.
for me, money wey reach home don reach home be that,no going back. CIC or see i see na tori
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by carolope(f): 5:30pm On Jan 30, 2008
@All,

Anyone seen the update for today? I don't seem to find any. How did the market go?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by JeromeK: 5:33pm On Jan 30, 2008
Gallic greetings to the peeps on NL,

Obviously my infamy precedes me so I won't bother introducing myself. So that everyone knows exactly where they stand, let me just point out that it's someway behind me, JK "the original "Rogue Trader", or at least the latest and biggest.

If the incumbent "Guru's", "Suicide Bombers" and "Fundamentalists" feel aggrieved by this and take it as an insult, please understand that I am French and possess more hubris than all 100 odd Nigerian tribes put together.

Being in custody at the moment, I have a lot of free time, so while i was surfing - free WiFi and laptops in our superior French Penitentiaries - I happened across this petit site.

Now mon amis, could someone kindly confirm the Dangote Flour IPO allotment, I'm hearing conflicting figures and need to verify.

Answer quickly les Nigerians or I may unleash my particualr brand of derivative trading on the puny NSE, making the distinction between suicide bomber and fundamentalist totally existential.

Au revoir
JK
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 5:34pm On Jan 30, 2008
hbrednic:

@hbrednic
I asked my bank and this is strange to them. they only send confirmation of transmital of funds

what bank is that?
stop asking the cashiers,just move to the foreign exchange section.they will do the trick once the money came in through them.
for me, money wey reach home don reach home be that,no going back. CIC or see i see na tori

You need a CIC if you intend to repatriate the money. If not you will have hassles explaining the source of the money. Yes  a bank transfer it but what is the source. The CIC basically showed that you brought money in, invest it and now repatriating it 'home'. If you don't have the mind of repatriating don't worry. However if you do, get CIC or you may have a money laundering charge upon your head especially if you have an Osama Bin Laden type of name or look.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 5:34pm On Jan 30, 2008
tboy1:

@dollyp1cute /wanaj0

I've got a couple of shares last yr and so far the profits looks good for now. Now i'm thinking of getting skyebank shares- do u think its a good buy, because i bought some bank shares last yr and some r not doin well at all.

Thanks

Of course Skyebank is a good buy, whether you can get them is another matter. If your broker can get you some let me know.

Which banks do you have in your portfolio.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by orisebawo(m): 5:35pm On Jan 30, 2008
kpineo:

bros are you telling me if i owe you £10K, i can't pay it into your account in the UK. It's not like you are going to be moving £100K weekly. As a matter of fact your bank will kill you with letters in the post, pre-approved things.
I see you want to add to western unions profit margin. As for me and my house no tax and no transfer fees. Remember profit was not made in UK, so y should i pay tax to the UK government again[b].---"double taxation"[/b]

My brother money laundering is not about the amount of money oh, i wont allow you to pay £10k into my account without a receipt to back it up,i am into the Money services business and i know if you want to send £1k and above to nigeria through me you would need to provide a copy of your driver's licence or passport, I know smoe people cut corners but it isnt worth it because once you are charged with money laundering the police will try to proof everything you own are proceeds of money laundering, please use the proper channel and have peace of mind
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bigjay01(m): 5:36pm On Jan 30, 2008
kpineo:

not that i am aware of. If you earned the money legitly, u can withdraw and do whatever u want with it. I do anyway, at least not the small amount i deal with anyway. when u withdraw money across the counter they'll always issue u with a till receipt. I thinks its enough proof of the source
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ManJiro(m): 5:43pm On Jan 30, 2008
carolope:

@All,

Anyone seen the update for today? I don't seem to find any. How did the market go?

You can see the losers and gainers from

http://www.cscsnigerialtd.com/modules.php?name=Loosers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tboy1(m): 5:45pm On Jan 30, 2008
dollyp1cute:

Of course Skyebank is a good buy, whether you can get them is another matter. If your broker can get you some let me know.

Which banks do you have in your portfolio.

Thanks 4 your reply,here's what i've got so far:

ECOBANK
INTERCONT
STERLNBANK
OCEANIC
FIRST BANK
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kc08: 5:48pm On Jan 30, 2008
what is a better buy between NEM and the banks; UBA OCEANIC AND FBN, recieved 500k from dangote fl wants to put it it urgently
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by K2: 5:48pm On Jan 30, 2008
@Iconbull, Where did you buy the UBN Property PP from? I'm interested. Thanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 5:50pm On Jan 30, 2008
Elephant enter market. Gained 4.99% today to close at 42.52.

Windywendy, you are still on Aluminium Extrusion and Aluminium manufacturing

No wahala
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by orisebawo(m): 5:52pm On Jan 30, 2008
bigjay01:

not that i am aware of. If you earned the money legitly, u can withdraw and do whatever u want with it. I do anyway, at least not the small amount i deal with anyway. when u withdraw money across the counter they'll always issue u with a till receipt. I thinks its enough proof of the source
You dont have to pay tax twiceif you can proof you had already paid interest on the initial investment, although you might pay tax on the profit if you are domiciled in the UK (confirm from a tax  expert).

The receipt from the counter is not a proof of the source of funds. it will either be your payslip, rent income slip,receipts from invoices you,dividends slip, loans etc
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 5:55pm On Jan 30, 2008
brokers just informed me that they have all been having problems trading on the floor - computer issues, and haven't received any feedback themselves on the buy and sell orders they put in today

@frankriri
i am so sorry to hear about ur loss, may God give u the grace to bear this loss. its painful but know that it is well.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by orisebawo(m): 5:56pm On Jan 30, 2008
eniyanman:

@orisebawo, @wanaj0 (patron-saint of long-termers),
that is a new dimension o. the problem is I don't know where to get the certificate. it is unlikely that the customs here will issue one (since no goods are involved and they only deal with imports into the UK). My bank can't also issue one (except maybe an export certificate). That leaves either the receiving bank or the stockbrokers themselves. I no one face money laundering charges. I want this fuds to be tracable with the banking system. I don't want to be held at Her Majesty's pleasure cry

How easy is it to transfer money from a Nigerian bank account to a foreign account.

You can send money from anywhere your bank manager should be able to help you
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RichDad1(m): 5:57pm On Jan 30, 2008
Any Info on when First Bank Shares Cert will be out ??
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 6:00pm On Jan 30, 2008
eniyanman:

@orisebawo, @wanaj0 (patron-saint of long-termers),
that is a new dimension o. the problem is I don't know where to get the certificate. it is unlikely that the customs here will issue one (since no goods are involved and they only deal with imports into the UK). My bank can't also issue one (except maybe an export certificate). That leaves either the receiving bank or the stockbrokers themselves. I no one face money laundering charges. I want this fuds to be tracable with the banking system. I don't want to be held at Her Majesty's pleasure cry

How easy is it to transfer money from a Nigerian bank account to a foreign account.

I think the problem you have is because you have domiciliary account in Nigeria which means you can transact business on the account in foreign currency so if you need to repatriate the money back to UK you will need the CIC but i'm not sure though this type of account is meant for expatriates who are classified as non-domiciliary and therefore they are not taxed in Nigeria for example.

On the other hand you can open a current account in Nigeria and transfer money anywhere from the world by all means not a problem. I wanted to open a domiciliary account with UBA and they told me if i'm going to be trading stocks on the NSE i have to have a current. i transfer money between my swiss account and UK accounts and also to Nigeria. I only pax taxes in Switzerland because i'm  what they classify as 'non-dom' short for non-domiciliary so regardless of what funds i transfer to the UK i don't pay taxes because i'm taxed on my income in Switzerland (a lot better than in UK by the way if you ask me!)

I 'm non-domiciled in the UK even though i have lived in the UK for yonks because i spend less than 183 days in UK during any calendar year so that is the requirement and therefore i don't pay taxes on my income in UK i prefer to pay in Switzerland since you CANNOT be taxed twice for the same income because there is what is called a 'double taxation treaty' between all these european countries.

I sell properties in UK for example and i pay zilch (CGT) in UK as long as i declare the income in Switzerland no 'wahala'( i beg get an accountant to advise you if u r in the UK) I move money around between my UK and swiss accounts at least wifey and my son go chop now grin grin grin grin grin grin without any ' aggro' just make sure you do it through your bank. How many CIC will i need to collect if i keep moving money around all the bank accounts i operate?

Going back to your question open a current account in Nigeria and do your normal transfer infact UBA have  an online facility that allows you to transfer your dosh but i think the rate is crap but it means any money transferred to your account will be exchanged at the prevailing 'official' rate and credited to your account hope all the 'tory' answers your question!

And if you live in Nigeria it works exactly the reverse way. You pay the naira equivalent into your account in Naira and it is credited into your overseas account using the prevailing official rate of the destination country in which the bank account is
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 6:03pm On Jan 30, 2008
tboy1:

Thanks 4 your reply,here's what i've got so far:

ECOBANK
STERLNBANK
INTERCONT
OCEANIC
FIRST BANK

ECOBANK -
STERLNBANK -
It is a tough market to prove their worth, don't know what the banks above have been up to or if they can step up game.

INTERCONT - Just not a bank I will buy

OCEANIC - Ok if you are a long termer
FIRST BANK - Ok if you are a long termer

P.S - I am more a long termer, sure the likes of pumping & easimoni can supply numbers and stuff
While Wendy & Wanjao will give you the inside gist of what goes on behind the bedroom
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bigjay01(m): 6:05pm On Jan 30, 2008
orisebawo:

You don't have to pay tax twiceif you can proof you had already paid interest on the initial investment, although you might pay tax on the profit if you are domiciled in the UK (confirm from a tax  expert).

The receipt from the counter is not a proof of the source of funds. it will either be your payslip, rent income slip,receipts from invoices you,dividends slip, loans etc

bros what r u on about, if ojo stop u an d u produce the receipt, they can always run a check on your incoming funds from the a/c and verify if any is questionable. I do it all the time. In 2006 I gave a friend 10k to take home 4 me, he was stopped at LHR and the guy produced the till receipt, the customs guys just query am small pass am.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by midastouch: 6:08pm On Jan 30, 2008
This is for the Large Hearted Gurus here: easimoni; pumping77, windywendy, dollyp1cute, wanaj0, fatherof2, Frankriri

I am new to trading so please can you explain how one can carry out the following trading styles:

RORO - roll on roll off
CICO - cycle in cycle out
GIGO - get in get out

Secondly, is FSDH Securities Limited a reliable broker (do they have a reliable and efficient online based service) ?. If not which ones can I get for about 1m.

Many thanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by crazyT(m): 6:08pm On Jan 30, 2008
@ All

I just got this mail from citiinvestcap, it also mentioned the CIC thing. I wanted to open an account with them and I mentioned that I resides outside the country. Here under is a copy of their responce;

I  believe by now you must have received a mail from our helpdesk on the information you required.

You can make payment through the following

1)      NIBBS Transfer: Your bank will make payment to our account through this process converting your currency to naira.

2)      Payment to our dorm account directly: Now this process involves you sending a request for a CAPITAL IMPORTATION CERTIFICATE to us. This will ease the process of payment back to you when you want to withdraw funds from us. Without this we will be hindered to pay you.

Minimum Opening balance is N100,000.00

If you have any more questions please don’t fail to ask.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 6:09pm On Jan 30, 2008
eniyanman:

It depends if you are UK-resident and carry their pali. HMRC go come ask for their share

Not strictly true if you have their 'pali' and and you are non-domiciled which means you dont spend more than 183 days in a year in UK and your main source of income is not in the UK you dont pay taxes in UK. i know because i fall into that category

Do you know how many billionaires are non-domiciled in the UK and they dont pay taxes on their income UK they pay their income taxes elsewhere. There are a lot of American investment bank expats i used to work in the UK and becaue they are classified as non-domiciled they get paid in dollars and dont pay taxes in UK!

Get an accountant to advise you proper by the way.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by grabdaloot(m): 6:12pm On Jan 30, 2008
JeromeK:

Gallic greetings to the peeps on Nairaland,

Obviously my infamy precedes me so I won't bother introducing myself. So that everyone knows exactly where they stand, let me just point out that it's someway behind me, JK "the original "Rogue Trader", or at least the latest and biggest.

If the incumbent "Guru's", "Suicide Bombers" and "Fundamentalists" feel aggrieved by this and take it as an insult, please understand that I am French and possess more hubris than all 100 odd Nigerian tribes put together.

Being in custody at the moment, I have a lot of free time, so while i was surfing - free WiFi and laptops in our superior French Penitentiaries - I happened across this petit site.

Now mon amis, could someone kindly confirm the Dangote Flour IPO allotment, I'm hearing conflicting figures and need to verify.

Answer quickly les Nigerians or I may unleash my particualr brand of derivative trading on the puny NSE, making the distinction between suicide bomber and fundamentalist totally existential.

Au revoir
JK

Why not use the free superior wifi in your bloody possession to search for the information you need on the web. This place is for serious minded individuals and we have a mutual respect for everyone here. If you feel better than my people here then go elsewhere. Personally I will never read anything you post again. Of course you could always register with another name but just bear  in mind that the inferiors have forced you to bend, posses more hubris than a 100 Nigerian tribes and to think that the Germans conquered you by bombing you with leaflets of Nostradamus perdiction.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 6:12pm On Jan 30, 2008
bigjay01:

bros what r u on about, if ojo stop u an d u produce the receipt, they can always run a check on your incoming funds from the a/c and verify if any is questionable. I do it all the time. In 2006 I gave a friend 10k to take home 4 me, he was stopped at LHR and the guy produced the till receipt, the customs guys just query am small pass am.

If you carry cash especially if its above a certain limit through customs i believe you have to declare it by filling in a custom's form at the point of entry
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by orisebawo(m): 6:20pm On Jan 30, 2008
CERTIFICATE OF CAPITAL IMPORT-------------FOR NON-NIGERIANS

Where a foreign national is investing in an enterprise in Nigeria, the bank through which the iinvestment is received shall issue a Certificate of Capital importation within 24hrs of receipt.

BENEFITS

Foreign investors are guaranteed unconditional transfer of dividends,profit and capital relating to their investment in any convertible currency through the Nigerian Banking System

Funds may be sourced officially through the Nigerian Foreign Exchange Market.

Foreign loan repayment includiing supplier credit may be repaid through the Nigerian Banking System on the basis of the CCI.

SOURCE : ACCESS BANK WEBSITE

(1) (2) (3) ... (404) (405) (406) (407) (408) (409) (410) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.