Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,802 members, 7,837,887 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 12:18 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (611) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (816976 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (608) (609) (610) (611) (612) (613) (614) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by orisebawo(m): 7:44pm On Mar 06, 2008
RoughCut:

Hmnn from a very rough estimate you have made about N1.9M in profits. The sell candidates in your portfolio should be Diamond and UBA but if you do you will actually make a loss after commission and charges and you don't actually have the time. They are medium-long term stocks but you don't have the luxury of time on your side. GTB will do well anyway.

The only stock on that list i can recommend is NB they are doing very well but its got a fairly high nominal value but if you don't mind you fit enter and hopefully they do well again for Q1 in March but don't expect results until May so you can lock in your profits just before then.

Unfortunately there are no CICO stocks in that list and i would be reluctant to recommend you do CICO considering you are using leveraged funds.

The problem with UBA Shareplus loan is that the costs are excessive i'm assuming this is the facility you got and i think it comes with 17% interest i think and then a 5% adm fee or something like that which you have to pay upfront.
Next time don't take a margin facility that restricts your choice of stocks.

Not sure i need to add the usual CAVEAT EMPTY if you don't make money on NB then may be you need to go and do something else

All the best!

Thank you for the advice,It is the shareplus offer and it was meant for FBN PO, i will take you advice and get NB, i have definitely learnt my lesson.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tommyt(m): 7:45pm On Mar 06, 2008
stocknrock:

[sub[b]]I no be first time poster o! I jus change my name so I go fit talk freely[/[/b]sub]
Na stocks and rock be ma best topics nowadays if you know me well, try your luck  grin grin grin grin

bro show your self oo!!! grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by debenzd(f): 7:49pm On Mar 06, 2008
RoughCut:

Hmnn from a very rough estimate you have made about N1.9M in profits. The sell candidates in your portfolio should be Diamond and UBA but if you do you will actually make a loss after commission and charges and you don't actually have the time. They are medium-long term stocks but you don't have the luxury of time on your side. GTB will do well anyway.

The only stock on that list i can recommend is NB they are doing very well but its got a fairly high nominal value but if you don't mind you fit enter and hopefully they do well again for Q1 in March but don't expect results until May so you can lock in your profits just before then.

Unfortunately there are no CICO stocks in that list  and i would be reluctant to recommend you do CICO considering you are using leveraged funds.

The problem with UBA Shareplus loan is that the costs are excessive i'm assuming this is the facility you got and i think it comes with 17% interest i think and then a 5% adm fee or something like that which you have to pay upfront.
Next time don't take a margin facility that restricts your choice of stocks.

Not sure i need to add the usual CAVEAT EMPTY if you don't make money on NB then may be you need to go and do something else

All the best!

@Roughcut, I will disagree with you on one point. UBA Share plus is actually the best in the market so far. I know because i am using it. You do not pay any interest or capital till after 1 year. You also have an option to renew after 1 yr and I intend to. In addition, the mgt fee was only 2%. That was all I paid. Nothing more.

Every other bank I have approached(quite a number) have stupid charges and crazy payback periods. I may have to settle for 1st Bank in the end.

Yes you use their stockbrokers but the charges are fair. 1% commission plus all the other charges as specified by SEC.

@Orisebawo, is this the original list you were given in July? The list I had at that time which I still use has CCNN(bought at 19.50), Vitafoam(bought at 9.99) and some others. It even has Unic insurance, Royal exchange Assurance. The one stock they don't have is Dangote Sugar. This is because it was just newly listed then.

When taking a facility like this, you eed to speak with a very experienced broker. They can give you insights on what to buy. NBC was a very good candidate in January. Their end of year is this month and I expect results similar to NB sice they are coming out of a loss position.

Speak to the guys over there. I was told that you could buy using the list you were given as at July last year. I know it is revised but was told it applies to any new applicant.

GTB will definitely give you at least 2 million profit considering the volume you have.

Goodluck though
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 7:55pm On Mar 06, 2008
@ orisebawo - The portfolio is definitely healthy since with what you have your capital is secure. I know what you really want to rub minds on is if you have made the right choices.

Based on the options that you have, I think you've done as well as possible. It is only a pity that you only have this July this year. Leaving what you have now till July next year should see you double your portfolio without too much hassle.

Good luck.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by orisebawo(m): 7:57pm On Mar 06, 2008
debenzd:

@Roughcut, I will disagree with you on one point. UBA Share plus is actually the best in the market so far. I know because i am using it. You do not pay any interest or capital till after 1 year. You also have an option to renew after 1 yr and I intend to. In addition, the mgt fee was only 2%. That was all I paid. Nothing more.

Every other bank I have approached(quite a number) have stupid charges and crazy payback periods. I may have to settle for 1st Bank in the end.

Yes you use their stockbrokers but the charges are fair. 1% commission plus all the other charges as specified by SEC.

@Orisebawo, is this the original list you were given in July? The list I had at that time which I still use has CCNN(bought at 19.50), Vitafoam(bought at 9.99) and some others. It even has Unic insurance, Royal exchange Assurance. The one stock they don't have is Dangote Sugar. This is because it was just newly listed then.

When taking a facility like this, you eed to speak with a very experienced broker. They can give you insights on what to buy. NBC was a very good candidate in January. Their end of year is this month and I expect results similar to NB sice they are coming out of a loss position.

Speak to the guys over there. I was told that you could buy using the list you were given as at July last year. I know it is revised but was told it applies to any new applicant.

GTB will definitely give you at least 2 million profit considering the volume you have.

Goodluck though

@ DEBENZD

Thanks for the information that is really an eye opener, i wasnt given a list when i applied for the share plus in July as i was only interested in Firstbank, it was when money was returned that i was sent the list 2 months ago.

I will speak to my broker first thing tomorrow morning and ask for the list that was in operation when i took out the facility.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 8:02pm On Mar 06, 2008
debenzd:

Now that you mentioned it i would say something about First bank. I was reluctant to mention it as i don't feel comfortable recommending margin facility. FBN margin facility is a lot better than the UBA Shareplus and i think someone mentioned it a couple of weeks ago on this thread and from what i read it sounded a lot better than the UBA Shareplus facility. Correct me if i'm wrong you are not restricted as to the choice of stocks you can buy right?

That alone will make you millions even if the interest charged by FBN is higher and i don't even believe this is the case actually. Cant remember what it was again but definitely not 17%.

By the way if you had a margin facility to trade for a year Haba if you buy only 4 stocks i think your returns should more than 50% innit? The issue with that portfolio is that there's not much time to do a quick 'aim and fire' don't ask me what that is grin grin because your turn-around time is squeezed by the time limit of the margin facility.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 8:05pm On Mar 06, 2008
i just noticed that Beta glass lost as much as 2.79 today. this is far above the daily allowed 5% drop or rise for any stock, what might be the cause of this, or will this be a mistake?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 8:25pm On Mar 06, 2008
dunlop. All caveats apply. i read it as the charts say it thats all

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 8:28pm On Mar 06, 2008
its not only in beta glass that i noticed these mistakes, also look at Cappa and d'alberto, gaining 10.65, from 90 somethingnaira yesterday, or even Union homes losing 0.37k and still closing at 9.00, with a high of 9.10and a low of 8.95? what is happening here.

Let me state here that NSE may have passed a law authorising a bigger close or gain, like 10% without telling the rest of us. Yes it could happen na! Madam Ndi has pulled worse stunts before? Look at transcorp and you might start to see how reckless these peeps could be.

These mistakes is bad for stock picks as these prices are not reliable anymore. Imagine using wrong prices to make decisions and the same prices changes overnight? how una dey see am for una spreadsheets?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Belewu: 8:28pm On Mar 06, 2008
invisible!:

i just noticed that Beta glass lost as much as 2.79 today. this is far above the daily allowed 5% drop or rise for any stock, what might be the cause of this, or will this be a mistake?

Beta glass lost 1.39 today (4.96%) and closed at 26.61
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nkc(m): 8:31pm On Mar 06, 2008
@aktopgun,
so u and aunt wendy is saying we should sell tomorrow, b4 hanging and spining man, descend on us, all caveats though
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 8:37pm On Mar 06, 2008
Belewu:

Beta glass lost 1.39 today (4.96%) and closed at 26.61

@belewu, I dont think you see what am seeing, check your prices again, look at cashcraft and nigesec. it clearly lost about 2.79. or which site you dey view sef?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nkc(m): 8:48pm On Mar 06, 2008
@invinsible, belewu is correct, i use nigerian securities
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by loma(m): 8:54pm On Mar 06, 2008
Some heads up!

On CAPOIL; be careful so you don't buy what will burn your hands. NO fundamentals for that stock yet. The turnaround you see was done by a friend who bought 3 million units some days ago, and then the herd folowed. Now he has sold off the units. He is a broker so does not need to pay commision.

On Niwicable; they planned to do an offer, but have now stopped it,as one BIG man don buy in (Ot, o). So if you never buy your own, sorry!

BigTreat and First alum climbing up, ,

All Caveats Observed!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 9:20pm On Mar 06, 2008
@ Roughcut and Pumping

Which stock are you talking about here:

Infact the current PE is 25 not even 41 and forward PE at current price is ~15 this is because i have been conservative with the expected PAT growth rate.

FYE '07 PAT was N439M and 800M shares listed. They actually increased FY PAT by 128% so i have assumed a PAT growth rate of 60% if i had used 100% that would been a PE of ~12. All of a sudden its looking good in my spreadsheet.

Not sure about bonus sha!They didn't actually give a bonus they doled out a 25K dividend

Samstone4 cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by 4wheel: 9:33pm On Mar 06, 2008
IS TRANSCORP STILL TRADING?? shocked shocked

@All, I was going through today's listing and saw Transcorp shedding 19k (FSDH site).
I thought the stock is on suspension,
Whazapening Was there a quiet lift of the suspension or what?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 9:42pm On Mar 06, 2008
loma:

Some heads up!

On CAPOIL; be careful so you don't buy what will burn your hands. NO fundamentals for that stock yet. The turnaround you see was done by a friend who bought 3 million units some days ago, and then the herd folowed. Now he has sold off the units. He is a broker so does not need to pay commision.

On Niwicable; they planned to do an offer, but have now stopped it,as one BIG man don buy in (Ot, o). So if you never buy your own, sorry!

BigTreat and First alum climbing up, ,

All Caveats Observed!

I'm not too sure i'll be quick to believe the niwicable news. Truebond just invested like N1.3b into the company and currently holds 62%. So anyone that wants to buy into the company will certainly be needing their approval. Truebond hasn't even began to reap any significant returns on their investment yet as they just invested last year. If those guys (truebond) are what I think they are and invested for the reasons they said they did, they'll definitely not be selling out to anyone just yet. Odu'a investments owns like 25% or so of the company, and I don't see them selling yet either -- at least not until they've realized some sensible ROI.  So that leaves about 13% which is held by various Nigerians. Who's the big man that has bought into the company? And who is he buying from?

Assuming it's true that a big man has bought into the company, that means more shares will have to be issued to accommodate the additional investment, and truebond's shareholding will be diluted. I don't see them allowing that to happen either. Loma abeg make you confirm your source(s).
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 9:43pm On Mar 06, 2008
4wheel:

IS TRANSCORP STILL TRADING?? shocked shocked

@All, I was going through today's listing and saw Transcorp shedding 19k (FSDH site).
I thought the stock is on suspension,
Whazapening Was there a quiet lift of the suspension or what?

yes transcorp was lifted some time back
see  http://www.proshareng.com/myproshare/portal_news.php?id=3722
Happy investing
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jonyjoscom(m): 9:45pm On Mar 06, 2008
All
If sombodi collect this UBA-SHAREPLUS and tekam buy the pre-listed/approved stocks, she him fit de trade with dem? Like sei him go tell the broker to sell and buy another one from the same list?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by loma(m): 9:59pm On Mar 06, 2008
windywendy:

I'm not too sure i'll be quick to believe the niwicable news. Truebond just invested like N1.3b into the company and currently holds 62%. So anyone that wants to buy into the company will certainly be needing their approval. Truebond hasn't even began to reap any significant returns on their investment yet as they just invested last year. If those guys (truebond) are what I think they are and invested for the reasons they said they did, they'll definitely not be selling out to anyone just yet. Odu'a investments owns like 25% or so of the company, and I don't see them selling yet either -- at least not until they've realized some sensible ROI.  So that leaves about 13% which is held by various Nigerians. Who's the big man that has bought into the company? And who is he buying from?

Assuming it's true that a big man has bought into the company, that means more shares will have to be issued to accommodate the additional investment, and truebond's shareholding will be diluted. I don't see them allowing that to happen either. Loma abeg make you confirm your source(s).

I reconfirmed from my source. Otu----o just bought into the company. Check it out!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 10:04pm On Mar 06, 2008
loma:

I reconfirmed from my source. Otudeko just bought into the company. Check it out!

Lets assume this is correct - abeg windy wendy confirm sha.

This means - this a good party to join no be so!

The problem be say at current prices I no know ooo .

I wanted to buy at N11 - na analysis paralysis kill me and the thing don turn around now hen? ogaju.

Windy whats your fair valuation of the price.?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by mastermove: 10:04pm On Mar 06, 2008
anyone know the £ exchange rate for naira
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nkc(m): 10:06pm On Mar 06, 2008
@mastermove

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 10:12pm On Mar 06, 2008
deleted
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 10:13pm On Mar 06, 2008
loma:

I reconfirmed from my source. Otudeko just bought into the company. Check it out!

OK no problem. Otudeko son na my good friend. Na one phone call go confirm am one time. I dey go come. Until tomorrow then.

Chei, but if this the case, na im be say I don hammmmeeerrrrr  grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by stocknrock: 10:15pm On Mar 06, 2008
Is the story about Livestock feed true?

That their PBT and PAT dipped by about 1000% especially after their share price rose by about 100%

Any marginal explanation anyone?

Wonders of the NSE
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 10:15pm On Mar 06, 2008
windywendy:

OK no problem. Otudeko son na my good friend. Na one phone call go confirm am one time. I dey go come. Until tomorrow then.

Chei, but if this the case, na im be say I don hammmmeeerrrrr  grin grin

You sure say I no know you as that him son dey audit us before before  long time like this? Abi you dey the big 4 that time?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 10:17pm On Mar 06, 2008
yodiyokun:

Lets assume this is correct - abeg windy wendy confirm sha.

This means - this a good party to join no be so!

The problem be say at current prices I no know ooo .

I wanted to buy at N11 - na analysis paralysis kill me and the thing don turn around now hen? ogaju.

Windy whats your fair valuation of the price.?

My fair valuation was N8. But that didn't factor in any market sentiments o. Me bought loads at 7.2 sold less than 20% at 14 and still have the rest. I was actually planning to buy more tomorrow as I didn't get the other stock that I wanted to buy today.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nkc(m): 10:17pm On Mar 06, 2008
@windy

so simply put, sell all dunlop tomorrow, and wait for a lower price,

or take d profit and leave d rest to accumulate,

what would u do, if it were u, caveats, i dont have wahala with them.

thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 10:18pm On Mar 06, 2008
una well done ooo!!!!!!!!!!! constant work has made ma pretty silent. will check up from time to time sha.
roughcut, if u base ur love for vitafoam on their yet to come interim results then also watch MAY AND BAKER and NGC. their interims should hit the roof, o and DANG SUGAR.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 10:20pm On Mar 06, 2008
nkc:

@windy

so simply put, sell all dunlop tomorrow, and wait for a lower price,

or take d profit and leave d rest to accumulate,

what would u do, if it were u, caveats, i don't have wahala with them.

thanks

I would sell all, unless I don't see it falling more than 10%. That way you can get back in with more units. However i see dunlop falling by more than 10% if it starts to fall. So sell all and buy back if you still like the stock. Caveat well well o. I may be completely wrong -- you know say NSE get im own mind  cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 10:21pm On Mar 06, 2008
yodiyokun:

You sure say I no know you as that him son dey audit us before before long time like this? Abi you dey the big 4 that time?

You no know me o! my name na windywendy and i'm anonymous to the core grin grin

What company did you work for?

(1) (2) (3) ... (608) (609) (610) (611) (612) (613) (614) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.