Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,983 members, 7,817,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:21 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (813962 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gbengaijot(m): 1:35pm On Feb 21, 2007
@ guys, i spoke to my stockbroker on fone yesterday. I was going to buy a share worth about 50K naira, and he told me that i'll need to sign something. WHich means that i cant do it over the telephone or something.

Does anyone knows any stockbroker that i can actually register with, and i can actually ring up/send email to at anytime to trade shares for me?.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by McDreamy: 1:08am On Feb 22, 2007
There appears to be a deluge of IPOs, Rights Offers and Shares placements about to hit the market,

UBA

Oceanic

Diamond Bank

Bank PHB

Does anyone know any more? Any advice about this rush for investors' cash? Please give us the 411!

Also heard First Bank might be coming out soon,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by edatika(m): 9:59am On Feb 22, 2007
pls could anybody recommend that i invest in Eternal OIl and gas

do u foresee them appreciating in value?

pls i will appreciate ur comments on this??
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 1:32pm On Feb 22, 2007
In a rush right now, but its a good buy. turnover has grown from N200million to N3billion in 2006. That's a good sign since they changed mannagment and have undergone restructuring.

There lowest price this yr is N3.00 and as yessterday N10.90. Returns over a 12 month period is 316.03% and over a 3yr period is 500.58%.

As far as I can see this is a good buy.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by madeonline(m): 5:35pm On Feb 22, 2007
For those interested in daily market price and related materials in their inbox kindly send an email to nseinfo-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Find attached todays market price.

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 8:28pm On Feb 22, 2007
gbengaijot,

You can try www.cashcraft.com. You set up the account without travelling to naija. You will need access to a scanner, b'cos you will need to scan some documents and send to them via email. All the info you would require to set up is on their website.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gbengaijot(m): 1:55pm On Feb 24, 2007
thanks omoba, i have contacted them. Doing the necessary details in progress
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 4:16am On Feb 25, 2007
Hello Guys,
My broker said she had been trying to buy me Dunlop and Firstbank shares since last Monday and have not been able to get them ,is this normal or should i be concerned ? angry angry angry
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by LoverBwoy(m): 11:46pm On Feb 25, 2007
there's nothing to be concerned about, its nigeria the abnormal always seem normal smiley
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gbengaijot(m): 9:29am On Feb 26, 2007
Ok, with all you are saying here egoldman, i am having a doubting mind with signing up with cashcraft,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by omooba72(m): 2:44pm On Feb 26, 2007
To every one , Hurray U.B.A Hybrid offer will be out this thursday good news to those eagerly waiting to buy from a good offer!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by omooba72(m): 4:22pm On Feb 26, 2007
@Frankiriri , good day could you please explain this terms on shares , while uba and oceanic banks are having public offer on their forth coming ipo Diamond bank is having ( private placement). cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gbengaijot(m): 5:10pm On Feb 26, 2007
where did you get that info from?

any links
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kauskey(m): 7:47pm On Feb 26, 2007
gbengaijot:

where did you get that info from?

any links
Check out this link, http://www.businessdayonline.com/?c=132&a=11525.
Cheers!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 8:16pm On Feb 26, 2007
gbengaijot:

Ok, with all you are saying here egoldman, i am having a doubting mind with signing up with cashcraft,

well gbenga what exactly do u mean ,i just want to know if i should be concerned ,would give more details with your reply .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gbengaijot(m): 10:19pm On Feb 26, 2007
The reason is that, i am looking for a stockbroker who i can sign up with and communicate to by phone. How can u request to buy a share at a price of 25 naira/unit on the day and your broker tells u that u cant buy until 4 days later when the price would have appreciate or depreciate. That is not really effective is it?,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 10:55pm On Feb 26, 2007
i have not yet said that they cant be trusted ,cos i dont have no proves ,i have also confirmed from some experienced people that sometimes some shares might be a little scarce ,like from 1 days to 3 weeks b4 u could be able to get them,and when that becomes the case then there is no guarantee that you would get it at a particular price or do u think that the shares u want to buy at 25 naira would always be waiting for u at that rate even if it takes 48hrs .
well am new to the stocks thing ,am sure i might make some mistakes b4 i come to learn it well,cos am damn serious to get as much info as i can and improve on it .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 1:17am On Feb 27, 2007
@ omooba72
A public offer means that the shares are being offered to the general public, While a private placement means that the shares can only be offered to specifically identified individuals without the intention that they would ultimately be held by the general public.
The Diamond Bank shares are being placed with ACTIS, a venture capital firm that has similar investments in UAC, Starccomms and The Palms shopping mall.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 1:25am On Feb 27, 2007
@ egoldman
join me on yahoo msgr
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 1:32am On Feb 27, 2007
Here's another link on Oceanic's impending IPO
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200702270295862
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 1:39am On Feb 27, 2007
@gbengaijot
There's really no cause for alarm.
The stock market is basically about demand and supplier.
First Bank is scarce in the market because it is on bid, that is the demand is greater than the supply. This is due to the stocks status as a leader in the banking sector and the fact that their year end is around the corner. However it is expected that they will soon come out with a rights issue and so anyone that cant buy then can buy through the rights issue.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 1:47am On Feb 27, 2007
It appears IBTC is loosing its edge in investment banking. Of all the offers that have been brought to the market in recent times not even one has been packaged by them unlike the situation in the first phase of the banking consolidation when almost all the offers were done by them.
I sure hope this does not impact on their fundamentals.
I really look forward to the point in time when the banks would have all done at least one full year post consolidation so that their accounts can make more sense.
Right now the figure most of them show as comparative is the figure for the lead bank e.g the figure for IBTC chartered is that of IBTC alone pre merger/
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gbolex(m): 10:40am On Feb 27, 2007
Oceanic Bank’s public offer begins on Monday

In realisation of its vision of becoming the most dominant financial institution in Nigeria, the board and management of Oceanic Bank International Plc. has finalized arrangements to offer a total of 3.4 billion ordinary shares of 50 kobo each to investors at N16.50 kobo per share.

The offer, which is being offered at a discount rate of N3.03 kobo per share, is expected to fetch the bank a total of N55.4 billion, pushing the bank’s shareholders fund to the threshold of N100 billion.

The public offer, according to the bank, is being undertaken to give investors opportunity of being part of the bank, increase its capital base and also increase its branch network locally and offshore.

The funds accruable from the offer would enable the bank invest heavily on information technology and also be used as a working capital.

UBA Global Markets and FBN Capital are the lead issuing houses to the offer.

While assuring investors of a bumper returns on their investment in the bank, the bank’s Chief Executive, Dr. (Mrs.) Cecilia Ibru, projected a profit of N18.9 billion for the bank in 2007, N24.9 billion in 2008 and N28.6 billion in 2009.

The bank also projected a dividend of 56 kobo in 2007, 58 kobo in 2008 and 67 kobo in 2009.

Capital market analysts are of the view that since the bank went to the capital market in 2004 to raise funds, the bank’s story and that of its investors have changed for good.

Aside an enhanced financial performance that made it close 2006 as the fourth most profitable financial institution and the fifth largest bank in Nigeria, the bank’s high rate of returns on investment has been tremendous.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/27022007/news/news14.html
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gbengaijot(m): 12:38pm On Feb 27, 2007
Ok so its now UBA and Oceanic out soon right,

I think UBA is about 35 naira/share innit?.

Thanks frankiriri, you've been a really incredible source of information here.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nkc(m): 12:42pm On Feb 27, 2007
hi, everyone,
please why is uba shares , so high. is it worth investing into. thanks

also does anyone know anything about kakawa guaranteed income fund, being managed by 6 banks,1st bank(been highest shareholder)
u can check there website at www.kakawa.com,
is it a wise choice to invest in there ipo, which is going for 1 naira per share, minimum of 50,000units.
is it worth investing into,or should i dabble elsewhere,.
pls all u pros, shld input on this.thaks again in return
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 6:11am On Feb 28, 2007
i checked the kakawa website and it looks good ,the people behind it seems to be some big names in the nigerian banking sector,would be nice to have inputs from the pros though grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nkc(m): 8:31am On Feb 28, 2007
thanks egoldman, the site looks re-assuring and the prospectus, seems like it would be wise to invest and grow with the company and see where they are heading, what about the uba shares,are they a good buy and what do they mean by hybrid shares.
also oceanic will soon sell there own shares, i think there's makes much sense.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by LoverBwoy(m): 4:52am On Mar 03, 2007
IBTC is now owned by a south african bank! i wanted to buy ibtc shares sad i missed out

UBA is coming with N54b offer, it would be interesting to know what theri futures plans are aprt from expanding their branches ofcourse. 216% growth in six months very impressive!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 6:34am On Mar 03, 2007
Hello guys , i just bought 4,000 shares of First bank and i now read from here http://www.businessdayonline.com/?c=132&a=11604 that they are about to go to the capital market to raise 100 billion naira ,now what would this mean to those of us that have shares of first bank ,it seems that the price of their stocks might go down considerably as they would be offering it at discount to the capital market ,i could be wrong on this and would like someone to comment on it .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 11:46am On Mar 04, 2007
@ Egoldman - All that happens is the stock is put on technical suspension (the price frozen at the last trading day b4 tech susp.) The stock is then offered to the public at a slight discount i.e. normal price N40, offer price N37.

Upon conclusion of the offer the price will resume normal price of N40. There after the price should normally continue to rise, all things being equal. Except in the event that the offer was not totally subscribed, the issuing houses/stockbrokers will buy up whatever is left and then flood the market with it which will then push prices down, since there are surplus shares and few buyers.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 7:38pm On Mar 04, 2007
thanks man ,we need of things like this ,future looks bright for niger grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 12:04am On Mar 06, 2007
frankiriri:

You can hold the same stock for short term and long term purpose.
To use this I adopt a principle called arbitraging. It involves taking advantage of a differences in the price of a security in two different markets.
I used this principle recently and reaped a handsome reward.
I had intercontinental shares which I bought at the 2004 PO. When they came out with their 2006 offer the price on the floor was N16.13 while the PO price was N13.5 So I placed my shares on the market and simultaneusly bought an equivalent number of units at the primary market locking in a handsome profit. At the end of the day the shares were sold for N16.94 resulting in a profit of over N3.44 per unit on that transaction alone. When my dividends and bonus are taken into considertion , the figure goes higher.

Frank, can you expain further how this arbitrage thing works? becos from my experience, it is often difficult to sell shares of a company on the floor once the company is doing a public offer, esp. since most offers are at a discounted price.

Also, ever heard of margin trading? I'm about venturing into that and was wondering if I could hear from someone who's done it or is doing it currently.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.