Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,973 members, 7,817,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:37 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (813960 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pamit(m): 5:06pm On Mar 09, 2007
Frankiriri thanks a bunch. I have settled for BGL.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by naijafresh: 6:48pm On Mar 10, 2007
@Tmoni
@Loverbwoy

If a stock was sold at N18 weeks or months ago, it can not debut on the market at anything less than N18 (IPO price)

It is market forces and company fundamentals that will determine on its debut whether it will raise or even fall. You are always warned that stock prices can either rise or fall so beware and do not think the only way is up. So do your research before you buy or leave it to professionals

Just out of interest, how many people who purchased Dunlop shares know that dunlop has not posted a profit for 5 years running? catch my drift?

Happy Investing

Oz
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 12:45am On Mar 11, 2007
I personally did not invest in dunlop because It did not meet my set criteria for investment. Moreover there were better alternatives as at that time. But part of the reason for the offer is to reduce their debt obligations which had been eating deep into their profit.
The ban on tokunbo tyres and the closure of michellin factory has made Dunlop somewhat of a monopoly and expanded their market. Thus their prospects are better.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 2:07am On Mar 11, 2007
The ban on tokunbo tyres and the closure of michellin factory has made Dunlop somewhat of a monopoly and expanded their market. Thus their prospects are better.
i bought dunlop cos of the above reason and though the price is on the downward for now,am sure that it will go up with time .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 3:14am On Mar 11, 2007
Hey guess what?

I am a FAN, are you?

in wrong thread angry angry angry
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 8:28am On Mar 11, 2007
For those of you interested in borrowing to buy shares this article is a must read
http://businessdayonline.com/?c=49&a=11803
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by naijafresh: 12:59pm On Mar 11, 2007
@Frankiriri
@eGoldman

I am pleased to see you did your research before investing. Some people think the cheaper the shares the better the value etc

Dunlop is for now a long term investment. I didn't have spare cash to salt away when the IPO was open but i will continue to follow this stock. At least you can access their accounts etc to follow their progress

Lets hope the Government does not scupper their plans by lifting the ban on importation of tyres etc

Oz
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 2:34pm On Mar 11, 2007
will follow suit,
any other "bull stock"
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nkc(m): 12:47pm On Mar 12, 2007
frank,pls pls, can u tell me what u understand in kakawa income fund, and what u think there prospects could be,is a worthwhile short or long term investment.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pamit(m): 1:17pm On Mar 12, 2007
Kakawa Income Fund in my own opinion, is good for an investor gunning for capital preservation. You may not experience a drastic increase in your investment, but their is an assurance that your money will be preserved. So the question here is whether to play safe or take greater risks for more capital appreciation.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nkc(m): 1:25pm On Mar 12, 2007
pamit, thanks for replying, say they come out on the market at 1naira, what do u think will be there increase in a yrs time, say eveything is in order considering there prospectus plans
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by naijafresh: 2:30pm On Mar 12, 2007
@nkc
The opening price of the KGIF is N1.
This means there is room for growth, the price may fluctuate but it generally continue to grow as they accumulate assets, profits etc

Look at similar investment funds like the IBTC equity fund, the price also fluctuates depending on what the stock market is doing but the intrinsic value rises as the stock marlet rises and also dividends are paid in.

The KGIF maintains base value as they are geared towards the money market IE treasury bills and bonds which always repay the original investment at maturity. The fund will increase in value as interest and other sundry payments from dealing in the money market accumulate

a guaranteed 14% is a good return for the cautious investor or aging investor who wants to limit wild fluctuations in their asset base

I am personally subscribing to the fund but i aim to reinvest my profits until i need the cash.
Hope this helps

Oz
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nkc(m): 3:01pm On Mar 12, 2007
thanks oz, so r u saying that some one should acquire as much as he can say putting 500,000 into it is it too much.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nkc(m): 3:10pm On Mar 12, 2007
mr oz, say u invest 500k, what do u think will be your interest in a yrs, time using ibtc's fund as a measure.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pamit(m): 6:52pm On Mar 12, 2007
@nkc
I think it depends on your plan for investing in the first place. If you want to keep your 500K and later come back to meet it intact, the fund can guarantee that, considering that the fund is directed more (I think 70%) at the money market (@naijafresh has done good justice to that). However, you can not totally compare this with IBTC equity, because the investment focus of IBTC equity is in stocks. If I have 500K, I would rather buy some oceanic and put some in the KGIF, But still it depends on one's choice!.
Hope this also helps.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by naijafresh: 9:03pm On Mar 12, 2007
@nkc
Further to our detailed discussion, for the benefit of others i recommend young investors should have at least 25% of their investment portfolio in the money market eg KGIF, bonds etc, 50% in blue chip stocks and 25% or more depending on your attitude to risk in high risk growth stocks

For the older investor (thinking of retirement in the next 5-10yrs) your exposure should be at least 50-75% money market and 25% stocks. That way you won't have a heart attack if there's a sudden downturn in the market just before your retirement party

The Bottomline is that in the money market your capital is guaranteed but the appreciation is less
I dont expect the KGIF to appraciate more than 20% a year unless the fund manager is very shrewd and aggressive

Oz
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 7:52pm On Mar 13, 2007
@ Naijafresh
I agree with your analysis.
Just want to to point out that these are general guidelines which should be adjusted after taking into situation each investor's peculiar situation. What is good asset allocation for a single 25 year old is not necessarily good for a married 25 year old with 2 kids to cater for. The latter should, ceteris paribus, take less risk
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 8:32pm On Mar 13, 2007
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by arizona(m): 4:47am On Mar 14, 2007
i need an opinion on this, is it good to operate account with two different stock brokers. i have one already but i am not ok with their performance although they are reputable. i decided for the past 4months not to put in more money into my account with them rather i decided buying when there is an offer from a company.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by naijafresh: 9:26am On Mar 14, 2007
@arizona

I have the same predicament. Supposedly good reputation but very slow customer services.
It takes at least 2 days to get a reply to any email.
The online trading facility is a farce and non functional
Any instructions to buy shares take at least 2 days
My instructions not followed strictly to the letter
Funds not credited to my account several days after i know for sure they have left my account
I hold my hands up!

I am seriously contemplating setting up another account with another firm but then it starts to get messy with account numbers, CSCS numbers etc

Does anyone out there use multiple brokers?
Do you use the same CSCS account numbers for both or different ones
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 9:37am On Mar 14, 2007
i was told using another broker is like getting a second bank account so it shld not be too tedious or iterative in setting up and using cheesy

i am inviting to use my broker, Wall Street Trust Company (WSTC Financial Services Ltd.)
@ least, i have personal interaction my broker which me thinks cuts across all customers

all the best wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by arizona(m): 3:01pm On Mar 14, 2007
@naijafresh

if your broker use two days to reply your mail, then they are even better than mine. up till today i have not gotten any email from mine as regard my instruction to sell some of my shares and buy new ones.
if operating two account is ok with cscs, i will open new one with either IBTC or BGL any time i am in the country . my problem with IBTC is whether they have time to interaction personally with their customer as regard buying and selling shares. for BGL i noticed that most people in this room like their services.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 5:10pm On Mar 14, 2007
You can operate as many CSCS accounts as you like as long as they are all different brokers.
Big time investors sometimes place orders through as many as 10-20 brokers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wizup(m): 12:47pm On Mar 15, 2007
@ Seun

goodday bro, can you kindly tell me how i can start up new topics on this forum. i simply cannot find the start a new topic icon.

thanks

wizup
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SavvyLanre: 5:18pm On Mar 15, 2007
@ Frankiri

Oga Frank & Other gurus - what are your impressions about Afrinvest - i am based abroad, and still looking for a reputable stockbroker,  that would have a good capability and support for international traders.
I haven't open an account yet, and already noticed that response time is slow - but, when they do respond - they show great professionalism.

Thanks for your input.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 6:49pm On Mar 15, 2007
Dont know much about Afiinvest.
Have you tried IBTC or Zenith Securities
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 10:57pm On Mar 16, 2007
Hello Guys , Some questions , I understand that it takes several months b4 certificates actualy gets to someone that bought shares during the IPOs,i heard it could take even up to a year sometimes .
now here is my question, the IPO of Dangote Sugar closed on dec 22 2006, so here is my question, if the certificates takes several months or even over a year as to be sent to those that buy shares during the IPOs ,how come that dangote sugar shares is being traded on the exchange today which is less than 3 months from the closing date of the their IPOs ? As we know that its not possible to trade your shares until you receive the certificates for them and also submit it for verification, these also take sometime to happen .
Does this mean that those who are trading their shares have already received their certificates already ?could it be that these are those that asked that their certificates be credited to their cscs account, as i understand it might make things faster ? if any of the above questions is true,so it would mean that they got their certificates in less than 3 months .
i ask this cos i am being discouraged from buying shares during the IPOs cos of the delay that comes with the posting of the certificates . would like some stock gurus to give some info about this matter .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by LoverBwoy(m): 5:38am On Mar 17, 2007
I think if you are buying with a stockbroker, they can sell your shares without a certificate, they jsut do an exchange probably with your cscs account

not too sure but the whole system is way too slow!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 8:16am On Mar 17, 2007
LoverBwoy:

I think if you are buying with a stockbroker, they can sell your shares without a certificate, they jsut do an exchange probably with your cscs account

not too sure but the whole system is way too slow!

i don't know if thats is very correct as i understand you cant sell shares that u don't possess the certificate yet ,i may be wrong though ,wish someone with better info would help here .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 8:18am On Mar 17, 2007
i realy wish i could have better info about this so that i would know if i should go for UBA and Oceanic IPOs .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by LondonCool(m): 8:56pm On Mar 17, 2007
SavvyLanre:

@ Frankiri

Oga Frank & Other gurus - what are your impressions about Afrinvest - i am based abroad, and still looking for a reputable stockbroker, that would have a good capability and support for international traders.
I haven't open an account yet, and already noticed that response time is slow - but, when they do respond - they show great professionalism.

Thanks for your input.

I use Afrinvest as my Stock brokers and I have recently sent them all of my Share certificates for CSCS registration/verification. They used to be known as SECTRUST Ltd before they were bought over by AFRINVEST which has lots of International Branches around Africa. When I went to Nigeria last year I went to their plush 12th Floor Office at Ikoyi to fraternise with the Stock Trading staff/manager and sign Transfer forms. I have been allocated a personal Stock Trading account manager and have developed a personal rapport with him albeit I only transact on an Execution only basis.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 6:11am On Mar 19, 2007
egoldman:

Hello Guys , Some questions , I understand that it takes several months before certificates actualy gets to someone that bought shares during the IPOs,i heard it could take even up to a year sometimes .
now here is my question, the IPO of Dangote Sugar closed on dec 22 2006, so here is my question, if the certificates takes several months or even over a year as to be sent to those that buy shares during the IPOs ,how come that dangote sugar shares is being traded on the exchange today which is less than 3 months from the closing date of the their IPOs ? As we know that its not possible to trade your shares until you receive the certificates for them and also submit it for verification, these also take sometime to happen .
Does this mean that those who are trading their shares have already received their certificates already ?could it be that these are those that asked that their certificates be credited to their cscs account, as i understand it might make things faster ? if any of the above questions is true,so it would mean that they got their certificates in less than 3 months .
i ask this because i am being discouraged from buying shares during the IPOs because of the delay that comes with the posting of the certificates . would like some stock gurus to give some info about this matter .

See my comment on this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-29613.128.html#msg972315

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.