Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,407 members, 7,954,606 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:52 AM

Misconceptions About Yoruba People - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Misconceptions About Yoruba People (1487 Views)

Important Drums Of The Yoruba People / 5 Interesting Things About The Yoruba People / 15 Common Misconceptions About Yoruba People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Misconceptions About Yoruba People by IkpuMmadu: 9:54am On Jun 10, 2016

Almost every one Nigeria either has a Yoruba friend, or went to school with one or lives in the same house or neighbourhood with one or is in a relationship with one or married to one. There is hardly anyone in Nigeria, who has not come in contact with the a Yoruba person. This is due largely to their huge population and also the fact that the Yorubas are scattered in different parts of Nigeria. However, there are certain conceptions or misconceptions about these group of people which many Yoruba person would love to argue aren’t true. INFORMATION NIGERIA brings you 7 of those notions…

Yoruba Men Love Women: People always say Yoruba men love women and can never ever stay with one woman through out their life as they often end up marrying one and having several others as concubines.

Yoruba Women are promiscuous: Yoruba women have been tagged as the most promiscuous women in Nigeria. Some people say it is common practice for a Yoruba woman to be married and still have s*xual affair with other men. Some people even allege that the man to whom they are married, sometimes know the men their wife have extra-marital affair with.

Yorubas are dirty: It is a popular belief that Yoruba people are dirty. Anyone who is Yoruba to other tribes in Nigeria are seen to be very dirty.

Yoruba People from Ijebu are Stingy: It is common for you to hear people say someone who is frugal is an Ijebu man or woman. Yoruba people who are not Ijebus even accuse the Ijebus of being stingy.

Yorubas don’t have guts: It is not uncommon to hear people say an average Yoruba man is just like a toothless bull dog that only barks but can’t bite. Yoruba people are believed to have the ability to start trouble and disappear right in the thick of it.

Yoruba People are very fetish: This should be the first on this list, however since we are not making a ranking, it can come anywhere. A lot of Nigerians have this belief that an average Yoruba person cannot do without consulting a babalawo or Ifa priest.

Yoruba people love parties: There is the saying that a Yoruba person could run into debts just to throw a party. According to popular belief, Yorubas would throw a party for any occasion from naming to wedding, to house-warming to graduation, to accomplishing something to winning a lotto to death etc. A Yoruba person loves party (Owambe) too much. Even the party name, Owambe that every tribe in Nigeria has adopted for party has a Yoruba origin.

I dont know how true these are but I think it can be termed misconception because there are great and cool yoruba that are around.Oh where is Omotola my crush and Tiwa my crush, where is Yemi Alade my sultry goddess?
Re: Misconceptions About Yoruba People by Cutehector(m): 10:01am On Jun 10, 2016
Some of these allegations arent misconceptions please... Yoruba men love women, quote me to the ends of the solar system and back.. I will prove my claims..

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About Yoruba People by Nobody: 10:04am On Jun 10, 2016
Yoruba people are not light skinned

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About Yoruba People by IkpuMmadu: 10:05am On Jun 10, 2016
Cutehector:
Some of these allegations arent misconceptions please... Yoruba men love women, quote me to the ends of the solar system and back.. I will prove my claims..

How ..? Can this be proved
Re: Misconceptions About Yoruba People by youngest85(m): 10:06am On Jun 10, 2016
I concur....
Bt op, jst imagine ur monicker....smh
Re: Misconceptions About Yoruba People by theEYe21(f): 10:24am On Jun 10, 2016
Funny enough, all the misconceptions are all true grin grin grin
Re: Misconceptions About Yoruba People by summerflame(m): 10:31am On Jun 10, 2016
Bigot, when will u get a sense for a penny to respect other tribe?. What u just said is more than what your ancestors and your cowardice Ojukwu could say.

What about igbo known for baby factory, arm robbery and drug dealings?

Igbos have been spoiling and soiling Nigeria's image right from the time of Lord luggard. Fools
Re: Misconceptions About Yoruba People by UrWorstNitemare: 10:55am On Jun 10, 2016
undecided
Well OP watz ur own Opinion abt each of tis. huh!

instead of echoing people's opinion
I tink I wana see u air urz... cool

**I see tiz as; brewing a storm. while, staying at a safe distance**
Re: Misconceptions About Yoruba People by oginga: 4:29am On Jun 12, 2016
2,3,4,5,7 & 8 are all 100% true

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About Yoruba People by nathdim: 4:01pm On Jul 27, 2016
No 3 is 100 percent true

(1) (Reply)

Unidentified Lifeless Body Of A Woman Found At Atai Street,Akwa Ibom(photos) / 9 Things You Must Know Before You Marry An Ijesha Lady / The Tragedy Of Whitewashing Hip Hop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.