Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:55 AM

Move Back To Nigeria Club - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Move Back To Nigeria Club (10923 Views)

A Thread For People Who Wants To Leave Nigeria (move Out Of Nigeria Club) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by DisGuy: 12:26am On Jun 07, 2011
"Stay put," said Paul Heng, managing director of Next Career Consulting Group Asia in Singapore. "I don't think there is a refuge anywhere in this world."

There's always a refuge at 'Home'

Taking advantage of their lil savings, CV, and contact- there are increasing opportunities to explore if you stay long or work hard enough to start something, might not be as shiny as other options but the benefits will follow

Nigeria is another option just like Dubai, UAE, Singapore, etc are to others - Indians, British trained iraqi, egyptians and even British doctors move to work as consultants in Hospitals in Iraq, Egpyt, Libya, same as oil workers move from Russia, Scotland to work in Algeria, Libya, Angola etc
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by lucabrasi(m): 1:44am On Jun 07, 2011
AjanleKoko:

'Moving back to Nigeria' is beginning to sound cliche, and looks more like some sort of fad these days.
I'd like to hear what the reasons are for moving back to Nigeria, really. Can any of you guys say specifically?
there are several reasons for moving back to nigeria,speaking for myself and people i have been opportuned to discuss with like i said in one other thread here.
nigeria is ready to have a middle class and we diasporeans are the ones that can stimulate the economy and start the drive towards a middle class
nigeria is an emerging economy while the western world are at a plateau economy wise while they are hovering just above bankruptcy we have not even tapped into our real potentials yet not oil and gas but the people,the market economy.
i want a better quality of life,met a couple of people in nigeria earnng less than i do yet had housemaids,drivers and more disposable income
most of all i want to be part of the drive for change and economic revolution
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by candylips(m): 9:35am On Jun 07, 2011
^^ before u make the leap . make sure u are ready for the dog eat dog mentality prevalent over there.

I know a lot of people who took the plunge but moved back within 6 months.
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by mbulela: 10:52am On Jun 07, 2011
lucabrasi:

i want a better quality of life,met a couple of people in nigeria earnng less than i do yet had housemaids,drivers and more disposable income
i don't even know where to start with this quote.
unfortunately,i am unable to comment extensively on this thread
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by AjanleKoko: 11:03am On Jun 07, 2011
mbulela:

i don't even know where to start with this quote.
unfortunately,i am unable to comment extensively on this thread

You see my challenge here.

lucabrasi:

nigeria is ready to have a middle class and we diasporeans are the ones that can stimulate the economy and start the drive towards a middle class
nigeria is an emerging economy while the western world are at a plateau economy wise while they are hovering just above bankruptcy we have not even tapped into our real potentials yet not oil and gas but the people,the market economy.

How will you do that if you're not bringing investment, but rather looking for jobs? There are not even enough jobs for the Nigerians who never left home. How will you stimulate the economy?

It would make sense if you're coming back home to start a business, and inject funds into the system. But if you're coming back to join the job market . . . it might be better if you stayed back.
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by lucabrasi(m): 5:15pm On Jun 07, 2011
candylips:

^^ before u make the leap . make sure u are ready for the dog eat dog mentality prevalent over there.

I know a lot of people who took the plunge but moved back within 6 months.
you r right even one of my brothers had to return back to the uk after a year plus,apart from my plans i have been coming to nigeria every year since 2008 and last year i stayed in lagos for almost 6 months just to aclimatise myself
AjanleKoko:

How will you do that if you're not bringing investment, but rather looking for jobs? There are not even enough jobs for the Nigerians who never left home. How will you stimulate the economy?
maybe you didnt read all my comments,apart from the job search i am actually investing in a couple of businesses the job is just for me not to spend out of my savings and to get into the general day to day lifestyle,meet new people e.t.c
there are lots of business with an assured and guaranteed returns
AjanleKoko:

It would make sense if you're coming back home to start a business, and inject funds into the system. But if you're coming back to join the job market . . . it might be better if you stayed back.

true and thats what i though as well for me my plan is to invest in a medium sized business that will fetch me a daily/weekly means of livelihood
then look for a job while doing my research into the main business i will be investing the bulk of my savings into.
from my research most people that have not suceeded have either had an unrealistic expectation or have been dissappointed by broken promises from friends and families back home.
the issue here i that i asked myself what quality of life i wanted and if i had any hope of achieving it here and the answer is yes its possible but highly unlikely.
i really dont want to make cups of tea,cook,shop my self when im in my 50s and 60s
i dont want to have rheumatism at the age of 50s because of the excessive cycle of cold weather
i dont want to live most of my life in a semi detached with a small garden when i could live in a roomy,spacious bungalow or duplex besides i will always be a second class citizen in this country and achieving my full potential will always be a struggle.
i dont want to be a nigerian in name only,i want to experience it going round all the states we have on a road trip,experiencing all the diverse cultures contibuting my quota to making the country great.
my dad schooled in trinity university in dublin which was and still a prestigious institution,he rejected a job with opportunities to go back to nigeria after his studies and almost 50 yrs later he is not regretting it one bit.
look at the children in this country,especially the negative influence on african children ?
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by AjanleKoko: 5:28pm On Jun 07, 2011
^^
That sounds like purpose.
Some of your reasons make sense to me, and some I don't agree with. Like the issue of second class citizen. Truth be told, the vast majority of Nigerians in Nigeria are living 3rd class lives in their own country. You don't need to become a minister to regard yourself as a first class citizen.

My own is, if you want to move back home, it has to be for a specific reason, not for pies in the sky. Makes no sense to me when people act like they didn't know that Nigeria doesn't have good roads or 24 X 7 power. I really do not see the point of trying to compare Nigeria with the West. It's kind of like getting to your village and complaining that it doesn't look like Lagos, or Abuja, or PH.

Also, if you happen to have the status to live in those countries, you probably stand a better chance over there in a recession. Nigeria's economy is kind of on permanent recession.
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by mimi234: 7:24pm On Jun 07, 2011
There are several reasons why people move back and this is best known to the individual, to be totally honest i think its a brilliant idea because the people who have lived abroad will bring back wealth of knowledge and so overall may aid the economy! The so-called 'brain gain' in action!

Yes more people entering the labour market makes it even difficult for people to obtain jobs however just because one is applying for jobs doesn't mean they don't have investments on the side, for an example my dad does all that trading shares stuff (in the UK - because obv my family resides here) my point is that some people in Nigeria may also do that sort of thing on the side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5iRmdOnne8&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbJPZcOCA98
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by Ladapo(m): 10:27pm On Jul 26, 2013
Thanks Justwise,i didn't realise there was such...ok.
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by Ugosample(m): 12:15pm On Aug 25, 2016
With the current state of the country, how many diaspora Nigerians will share this sentiment?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Write A Letter Of Introduction For Visa Application / South Africa Or Stay Back In Nigeria, Which Is Better / Lagos Port Gridlock: Business Owners Narrate Impact On Investments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.