Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,189 members, 7,818,615 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:54 PM

Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! (1993 Views)

Manchester United Vs Everton (0 - 1) On 4th December 2013 / Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 / Arsenal Vs Everton (0 - 0) On 16th April, 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by dayokanu(m): 5:10am On Aug 28, 2009
Is EPL really the best league?
They have the strongest top 4 and very few people would argue about this but the overall strenght of a league goes beyond the top teams.

To me the UEFA cup offers a better datum to measure leagues because clubs involved are of similar financial strenght unlike the way top teams are so far from the reality of the league.

Like I always say to measure the standard of living of Nigerians using the worth of Adenuga, Dangote, Otedola and IBB
would always give you a wrong picture.

When Aston Villa who finished 6th in the EPL last season could lose to Rapid Vienna

Mid table teams in other leagues do well in the UEFA cup, we had Sevilla and Espanyol play the UEFA cup finals with Osasuna in the semis,

Should a league be rated based on the strenght of its top 4 alone?

When would we have a Aston Villa vs Everton UEFA cup finals
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by chic2pimp(m): 5:52am On Aug 28, 2009
dayokanu:

They have the strongest top 4 and very few people would argue about this but the overall strenght of a league goes beyond the top teams.

To me the UEFA cup offers a better datum to measure leagues because clubs involved are of similar financial strenght unlike the way top teams are so far from the reality of the league.

Like I always say to measure the standard of living of Nigerians using the worth of Adenuga, Dangote, Otedola and IBB

When Aston Villa who finished 6th in the EPL last season could lose to Rapid Vienna

Mid table teams in other leagues do well in the UEFA cup, we had Sevilla and Espanyol play the UEFA cup finals with Osasuna in the semis,

I rate la liga slightly above the epl or at least tied with the epl. As u said, judging a league's strenghth and depth based solely on the performance of the big 4 clubs can be misleading.You have got to look beyond those top clubs. However man city and spurs are coming to the fore this season and I predict they would give these teams a good run for their money. I find la liga far and away the most skilful league in europe while Epl is certainly the most entertaining cuz the fans add to the games atmosphere.
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by dayokanu(m): 6:57am On Aug 28, 2009
The argument of EPL being the best league is hinged on the top 4 performance

In both the CL and Europa cup playoffs, only England lost a team as all teams from Italy, Spain Germany and even France made it.

Aston villa couldnt scale the preliminary round of Europa cup shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by HNIC(m): 8:44am On Aug 28, 2009
dayokanu:

Aston villa couldnt scale the preliminary round of Europa cup shocked shocked shocked shocked
You always like to jump first before running
Fulham and everton are thru
Who says there can't be an Everton vs Fulham finals?
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by dayokanu(m): 8:54am On Aug 28, 2009
Unless ass-anal would drop out of CL to join the Europa cup

Tell me which big league's club lost in qualifying round of CL or Europa cup Itally, Spain, germany, even France!!
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by Krayola2(m): 8:57am On Aug 28, 2009
HNIC:

Who says there can't be an Everton vs Fulham finals?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by HNIC(m): 9:06am On Aug 28, 2009
@dayo
So what if A.Villa dropped out early
Did u see the match?
They won on away goals rule, which means it was rather close

Meanwhile, like i said, why not wait till the competition reaches the crucial stages before judging the English teams?
Too early
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by dayokanu(m): 9:17am On Aug 28, 2009
22 Bradley Guzan
7 Ashley Young
8 James Milner
10 John Carew
15 Curtis Davies
16 Fabian Delph
18 Emile Heskey
19 Stiliyan Petrov
21 Nicky Shorey
23 Habib Beye

24 Carlos Cuéllar

Substitutes
1 Brad Friedel
4 Steve Sidwell
11 Gabriel Agbonlahor
12 Marc Albrighton
20 Nigel Reo-Coker
26 Craig Gardner
45 Shane Lowry

This was the line up and tell me where are the weakened team. Ashley Young, Milner, Carew or heskey?

If 6th position EPL team couldnt succesfully navigate through Europa cup qualifiers against Rapid Wien
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by MrCrackles(m): 9:19am On Aug 28, 2009
Dayo is here bleating like a diseased donkey again?
Villa got knocked out by Rapid Vienna, who are no pushovers? So what?
You are right up there on the nuisance scale! cool
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by galatico(m): 9:21am On Aug 28, 2009
Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal are the only clubs in England the rest are just making up the numbers!!!
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by rockyfela(m): 9:28am On Aug 28, 2009
Best league entails different aspect of the game not just performances of the top 4 or top 6. Things like the number of fans across the globe, popularity, Financial constraints, press, packaging and all.
There is a difference between best league and most competitive league. That out of the 3 teams from england 1 crashed out of the qualifiers doesnt make epl a lesser league than wat it is cos if u look at it that way, why dont we start 4rm the top. For the past 4 years The top 4 epl teams have been in the quaterfinals but yet Realmadrid a Top 2 team in laliga has been crashing out of the 1st round for the past 5 years. In essenc,e it depends on the yardstick for measuring best teams.

I still think EPL is the best leagus in the world, La liga is most entertaining, italian is most physically demanding.
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by MrCrackles(m): 9:29am On Aug 28, 2009
rockyfela:

Best league entails different aspect of the game not just performances of the top 4 or top 6. Things like the number of fans across the globe, popularity, Financial constraints, press, packaging and all.
There is a difference between best league and most competitive league. That out of the 3 teams from england 1 crashed out of the qualifiers doesnt make epl a lesser league than wat it is cos if u look at it that way, why dont we start 4rm the top. For the past 4 years The top 4 epl teams have been in the quaterfinals but yet Realmadrid a Top 2 team in laliga has been crashing out of the 1st round for the past 5 years. In essenc,e it depends on the yardstick for measuring best teams.
I still think EPL is the best leagus in the world, La liga is most entertaining, italian is most physically demanding.
Thank you. . . Please school the poster more, i mean DonkeyKanu! grin
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by dayokanu(m): 9:36am On Aug 28, 2009
Can we call them a big league when only 4 teams can represent the league succesfully.

Braga disgrace Portsmouth last season 3-0

Hamburg pummeled both Man City and Aston Villa

Larisa eliminated Blackburn some years back

Udinese raped Tottenham last season

Aint this teams from the Best league
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by HNIC(m): 9:39am On Aug 28, 2009
dayokanu:

22 Bradley Guzan
7 Ashley Young
8 James Milner
10 John Carew
15 Curtis Davies
16 Fabian Delph
18 Emile Heskey
19 Stiliyan Petrov
21 Nicky Shorey
23 Habib Beye

24 Carlos Cuéllar

Substitutes
1 Brad Friedel
4 Steve Sidwell
11 Gabriel Agbonlahor
12 Marc Albrighton
20 Nigel Reo-Coker
26 Craig Gardner
45 Shane Lowry

This was the line up and tell me where are the weakened team. Ashley Young, Milner, Carew or heskey?

If 6th position EPL team couldnt succesfully navigate through Europa cup qualifiers against Rapid Wien

Whoever talked about a weakened side shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by dayokanu(m): 9:45am On Aug 28, 2009
HNIC,

Forgery!!!!! You are a crook. Adding that to trophylessness
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by biina: 10:05am On Aug 28, 2009
dayokanu:

Can we call them a big league when only 4 teams can represent the league succesfully.

Braga disgrace Portsmouth last season 3-0

Hamburg pummeled both Man City and Aston Villa

Larisa eliminated Blackburn some years back

Udinese raped Tottenham last season

Aint this teams from the Best league
You and your selective comparism and opata yarns. Somebody needs to set u straight angry

How did Schalke04 end up in the UEFA cup when their mates were in the UCL? Was it not Atletico Madrid that sent them packing 4-1 in the qualifying rounds? undecided
Bremen that got to the UEFA cup finals only got into the tournament after they failed in the champions league. They were beaten 3-0 at home by panathinaikos. undecided
Dortmund was eliminated at their first hurdle by udinese undecided
Schalke finished bottom of their group after being beaten 2 -0 in germany by Man City shocked
Hertha Berlin could not manage a single win in 4 games and failed to qualify finishing 4th in a group of 5 teams shocked
Wolfsburg were disgraced home and away 5-1 by PSG shocked
Stuttgart was also disgraced home and away 4-2 by zenit shocked
The only 2 german clubs to make substantial progress were Hamburg and Bremen, and Bremen had no biz in the uefa cup in the first place. They were supposed to be with their mates in the CL but were kicked out disgracefully. undecided

The bundesliga is a sorry excuse of league, and you are in no position to question the quality of superior leagues.

So I beg stop with the misrepresentation of facts
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by Krayola2(m): 10:09am On Aug 28, 2009
rockyfela:

Football, the one that takes place on a pitch over 90 minutes, is a sport. It is not a popularity contest. Real Madrid have crashed out, but Valencia have been decent, and so have Villarreal. Sevilla have won the UEFA cup two times in the last 5 years, we have had an all spanish UEFA cup finals in the last 3 years.  Overall La Liga shits all over the EPL in Europe. Barcelona just ran circles round their champions for 75 of 90 minutes just 3 months ago. . . cut the bullshit, sir!!

galatico:

Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal are the only clubs in England the rest are just making up the numbers!!!

[size=20pt]GBAM!![/size]
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by HNIC(m): 10:14am On Aug 28, 2009
dayokanu:

HNIC,

Forgery!!!!! You are a crook. Adding that to trophylessness

See me see wahala!
You will be hearing from my solicitors very soon for this Slander !

Who mentioned weakened side?

Did you eat fish this morning?
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by chic2pimp(m): 3:17pm On Aug 28, 2009
rockyfela:

wot serie a the most physically demanding? shocked shocked shocked. I laff in swahilli. That title belongs to the premier league with all the gra gra going on in that league. Serie a is the most tactical league in the world and thats why peeps call it boring. The ball does not move from one end of the pitch to another in less than 5seconds. La liga is the most skilful legue in the world while the most entertaining is definitely the prem. The best league is a toss up between la liga and the premier league.
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by Sauron1: 3:30pm On Aug 28, 2009
dayokanu:

Dayokanu and his buffoonery yet again.
Of course, nothing is being mentioned about Fulham and Everton easing past their opponents in Europe.
When you have the all the English clubs playing in the UCL seeded while the other leagues in Europe are struggling then you have to give it to EPL.
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by dayokanu(m): 4:11pm On Aug 28, 2009
How did hamburg end up in the UEFA cup when their mates were in the UCL? Was it not Atletico Madrid that sent them packing 4-1 in the qualifying rounds?

Biina you are an ignoramus and dont know anything about European soccer so SHUT UP!!!!

Hamburg NEVER played the CL qualifying rounds LIAR!!!!

So I beg stop with the misrepresentation of facts

Dayokanu and his buffoonery yet again.
Of course, nothing is being mentioned about Fulham and Everton easing past their opponents in Europe.
When you have the all the English clubs playing in the UCL seeded while the other leagues in Europe are struggling then you have to give it to EPL

They have the strongest top 4 and very few people would argue about this but the overall strenght of a league goes beyond the top teams
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by Ibime(m): 4:49pm On Aug 28, 2009
More empirical evidence for DayoKanu to build his argument around! grin
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by Krayola2(m): 4:55pm On Aug 28, 2009
The EPL is the most overrated league in world. The way they get dealt with in the UEFA cup year after year is an embarrassment. Dem no sabi . . .
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by dayokanu(m): 5:04pm On Aug 28, 2009
Braga 3 Portsmouth 0

IMAGINE Braga!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by chic2pimp(m): 5:11pm On Aug 28, 2009
Krayola2:

The EPL is the most overrated league in world. The way they get dealt with in the UEFA cup year after year is an embarrassment. Dem no sabi . . .
really? The EPL is @ worst the second best league in the world righ now.
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by Krayola2(m): 5:17pm On Aug 28, 2009
chic2pimp:

really? The EPL is @ worst the second best league in the world righ now.

what is "best"? are we talking about what goes on on the pitch, or some aesthetic bullshit that has nothing to do with tappin soccer, like crowd participation?
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by Sauron1: 5:17pm On Aug 28, 2009
dayokanu:

Braga 3 Portsmouth 0

IMAGINE Braga!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pompey are no longer a force to be reckoned with. . . . .How many good players have they sold in recent times?
Letz not get carried away with the results in the UEFA BULLSHIT. . . . .We have trashed this topic time n time again.
UEFA rank leagues in Europe. . . . . .Maybe you anglo-phobes should see this link and stop ranting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient#League_coefficient
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by dayokanu(m): 5:28pm On Aug 28, 2009
You mean Braga is expected to beat Pompey?

This was the line up for the match are you telling me this team is a weak pompey team?

Portsmouth
1 David James
23 Sol Campbell
7 Hermann Hreidarsson
15 Sylvain Distin
16 Noe Pamarot
30 Armand Traore
8 Papa Bouba Diop
30 Osorio Costa Silva Alan 25 Glen Little
28 Sean Davis
9 Peter Crouch
14 Jermain Defoe
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by chic2pimp(m): 5:29pm On Aug 28, 2009
Krayola2:

what is "best"? are we talking about what goes on on the pitch, or some aesthetic bullshit that has nothing to do with tappin soccer, like crowd participation?
the quality of football played in the epl has improved vastly over the last few years. If you think epl is overrated can u name me any better league( la liga excluded)
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by Krayola2(m): 5:55pm On Aug 28, 2009
chic2pimp:

the quality of football played in the epl has improved vastly over the last few years.

What do you mean by "quality"? I know quite a few people that are crazy about the bundesliga and some of the few games I've watched have been quite entertaining. Those are very subjective terms and the best measure in sports is IMO how teams perform in competiton. The rest na story and sour grapes.

chic2pimp:

If you think epl is overrated can u name me any better league(  la liga excluded)

I get your point. That there might be a lot of teams in Europe stronger than the middle table teams in the EPL, but as a league the EPL is still stronger than whatever leagues they are from. Which may just be true. .  To be honest i never thought about it like that and you do have a point.

But you should also consider that if a team, or group of teams, fail to perform well among their peers, can u really say they are better than their peers?

I refuse to believe that teams like Everton, and Aston Villa, Tottenham, portsmouth and Fulham are stronger than Lazio, or Roma, Fiorentina, Udinese, Palermo.  And I doubt that there is any argument u can make that will change my mind about how those teams compare with each other. (Maybe Tottenham on a good day, and Villa on their BEST day but not any of the others)

What do u think, do u think those EPL teams are stronger than their Italian counterparts? I don't watch the German league so I can't really speak for them. .  but let's use Italy.
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by dayokanu(m): 6:11pm On Aug 28, 2009
The top 4 are strong YES but what of when Wolfsburg pummeled Portsmouth, Hamburg screwed Citeh and Villa.

The fact that Bayern beats Madrid everytime ( German best vs Spainish best) does not mean that the Bundesliga is close to the La Liga in any way until Hamburg and Hertha Berlin can dominate UEFA cup like Sevilla, Espanyol or Osasuna does.
Re: Is Epl Really The Best League? Benfica 5 Everton 0 !!!!!! by Sauron1: 6:15pm On Aug 28, 2009
dayokanu:

The top 4 are strong YES but what of when Wolfsburg pummeled Portsmouth, Hamburg screwed Citeh and Villa.

The fact that Bayern beats Madrid everytime ( German best vs Spainish best) does not mean that the Bundesliga is close to the La Liga in any way until Hamburg and Hertha Berlin can dominate UEFA cup like Sevilla, Espanyol or Osasuna does.

UEFA are not blind to the information you keep producing here. . . . .
Even with that, they still feel EPL's coefficient ranking is higher than what La Liga, Bundesliga and Seria A has churned out in the past 5 seasons.
UEFA cup/Europa cup is an inferior competition to the UCL so what the EPL's top 4 are doing in the UCL effectively cover up for the inadequacies of the other 16 clubs. Who are you to argue UEFA coefficient?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Chelsea Fc's Mr & Mrs (mikel & Kalou) / Pep Guadiola Vs Jose Mourinho / UCL: Barcelona Vs Bate Borisov (4 - 0) On 6th December

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.