Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,267 members, 7,818,924 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 (48850 Views)

UCL: Benfica Vs Barcelona (0 - 2) On Tuesday October-2-2012 / UCL: Benfica Vs Chelsea (0 - 1) On 27th March 2012 / UCL: Benfica Vs Man Utd (1 - 1) On 14th September 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Havilah93(m): 10:11pm On May 12, 2013

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Havilah93(m): 10:13pm On May 12, 2013
Disaster Or Triumph?

Benfica will hope to turn the tide on a recent slide when they take on Chelsea in the Europa League final. The Lisbon giants have enjoyed a phenomenal campaign, losing only four times thus far in all competitions and playing some superb football along the way. However, a surprising home draw to Estoril and a last-gasp defeat to bitter rivals FC Porto at the weekend has seen them relinquish their lead in the Portuguese SuperLiga. With only one match remaining, Jorge Jesus’ side now need Porto to drop points on the final day if they are to overtake them for the title.

After topping the league table for a majority of the season losing the title at this stage will be especially heartbreaking for Benfica and their supporters. They will need to focus on their quest for two other trophies as well, the Portuguese Cup and the Europa League. If losing the title would be considered heartbreaking, walking away from these final two weeks of the season with no trophies to show would an absolute disaster.

This is certainly a side with character however as evidenced by their progression to the final of the Europa League. Specifically, the 3-1 win over Fenerbahce in the semi-final second leg showed the sort of spirit necessary to win silverware. After falling in Turkey 1-0, the Eagles needed a big performance in the return leg to advance to the final.

Dirk Kuyt’s first half penalty gave the Turkish side a precious away goal, but two Oscar Cardozo goals in each half added to Nicolas Gaitan’s opener gave Benfica a famous victory. The stage is set for a classic final against Chelsea and an opportunity to make things right by claiming a European title.

Finishing Strong

There is a lengthy list of all the titles Chelsea have missed out on this season; however the final stretch of the season has provided the Londoners a chance to salvage something from a season that began so promisingly. The Blues have finished their Premier League campaign in strong fashion and have all but mathematically clinched a spot in the Champions League for next season. This has been the team’s overriding goal in the last few months and while it was deemed the least of what should be achieved, qualification for world football’s elite club tournament has been met with real relief.

Clinching a spot in the Champions League has eased the pressure on Rafael Benitez. Though he is a lame duck manager who will be replaced and his appointment was greeted with vitriolic abuse by supporters, the Spaniard has begun to win plaudits for his work. Even the club’s fans have eased their stance toward the former Liverpool boss, perhaps aware that getting behind the team in the final crucial matches has been the more helpful route.

Now the challenge is for Benitez and the players to end the season on a high by lifting the Europa League trophy. While the Blues have not been a model of consistency, they have enjoyed a steady run-in which has put them in a position to close out the campaign with a bang. It may be a different feeling for much of this squad as last year at this time they were preparing for the final of the Champions League. While it may be viewed as a step backwards by some, certainly all involved with Chelsea would like nothing more than to win another European title.

Recent form

Benfica:
Benfica 3-1 Fenerbahce (02/05; Europa League)
Benfica 1-1 Estoril (06/05; Portuguese SuperLiga)
Porto 2-1 Benfica (11/05; Portuguese SuperLiga)

Chelsea:
Manchester United 0-1 Chelsea (05/05; Premier League)
Chelsea 2-2 Tottenham (08/05; Premier League)
Aston Villa 1-2 Chelsea (11/05; Premier League)

Key absences

Benfica: None

Chelsea: Eden Hazard (doubt); John Terry (doubt); Demba Ba (Cup-Tied)

Players to watch

Benfica – Lima: The 29-year-old journeyman may have been a late bloomer, but Benfica are reaping the rewards of a player snapped up from Braga last year. The Brazilian striker has been downright superb this season with 27 goals in 46 matches, a fantastic return for a player who has replaced Oscar Cardozo as the main choice up front for the Eagles. After a fine spell with Braga, Lima has enjoyed a seamless transition to Benfica and the hope for the Portuguese is that he can light up the final with the goals needed to secure the trophy.

Chelsea – Frank Lampard: His brace against Aston Villa at the weekend not only gave Chelsea a vitally important 2-1 victory in their fight for a Champions League place, but also made Lampard the top scorer in Chelsea history surpassing the old record set by Bobby Tambling with his 203rd goal for the club. This has been a season of redemption for the 34-year-old, who initially had been left out in the cold by former manager Roberto Di Matteo. Since taking over the reins at Chelsea, Benitez has shown trust in the veteran and has been rewarded with a series of good displays and vital goals. After endless speculation about Lampard going abroad earlier in the campaign, the talk now is focused on retaining the services of the well-respected midfielder.

It remains to be seen whether Benfica will be affected by their poor finish to the domestic season which sees them on the brink of losing the Portuguese SuperLiga. But can a tired Chelsea, who have already played 67 matches this season, capitalise, especially after already missing out on so many cups and finals this season?

Kick Off: 7.45pm

Referee: Bjorn Kuipers

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2013/05/13/europa-league-final-benfica-vs-chelsea-match-preview/86037/

1 Like

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 10:14pm On May 12, 2013
Benfica(Sport Lisboa e Benfica) for life.

2 Likes

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by wilxz(m): 11:25pm On May 12, 2013
Pls chelsea, win this cup for us, this season. Make Man u, no talk plenty, since Man city don lose there own cup.
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Nobody: 9:49am On May 13, 2013
Havilah93: . . .

I wink you o, see how you collect space for the pre-match briefing. Hmmmmmm

1 Like

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by fredoooooo: 11:25am On May 13, 2013
Afam4eva is a confirm chelsea supporter ( fan ) grin grin grin

No shaking , we dey house grin
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by fredoooooo: 11:26am On May 13, 2013
torres2:

I wink you o, see how you collect space for the pre-match briefing. Hmmmmmm

Chop d space grin
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by jhydebaba(m): 2:18pm On May 13, 2013
blue is the colour
chelsea for life

Alex sef go fit testify say...
CHELSEA is the greatest cheesy

13 Likes

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by luvola(m): 2:23pm On May 13, 2013
...... And my support goes to benfica.... I am beginning to hate chelsea as a club.. Up benficaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaa
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by figment232(m): 2:34pm On May 13, 2013
luvola: ...... And my support goes to benfica.... I am beginning to hate chelsea as a club.. Up benficaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaa
ebe like say u don smoke again

3 Likes

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Nobody: 2:38pm On May 13, 2013
Yes!!! Chelsea must Lose!!!!
Up Benfica!! #TeamManUtd. grin

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Marcelinho(m): 2:46pm On May 13, 2013
[quote author=Judinho59]Yes!!! Chelsea must Lose today!!!!
Up Benfica!! N wat wil b ur gain, man city fan na u b

1 Like

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Odunharry(m): 2:46pm On May 13, 2013
Judinho59: Yes!!! Chelsea must Lose today!!!!
guy na wednesday nt today...united 4 life...
I want Benfica to take this one
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by henrychubayo: 2:57pm On May 13, 2013
Judinho59: Yes!!! Chelsea must Lose today!!!!

Guy u no follow. how come ur don't know wen they play the match. United indeed.
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by hotwax: 3:00pm On May 13, 2013
luvola: ...... And my support goes to benfica.... I am beginning to hate chelsea as a club.. Up benficaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Beginning ? LOL. WHo cares?

1 Like

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by henrychubayo: 3:01pm On May 13, 2013
jhydebaba: blue is the colour
chelsea for life

Alex sef go fit testify say...
CHELSEA is the greatest cheesy

You too much. i never check this thing reach like these. He don confirm already say Chelsea runs him very well. I probably felt he resigned because of Jose morinho.

2 Likes

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Nobody: 3:02pm On May 13, 2013
henrychubayo:

Guy u no follow. how come ur don't know wen they play the match. United indeed.

Watever!! #ManUtd Rules!!
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by daddynasa: 3:10pm On May 13, 2013
Join your football club and battle the rest
Get latest news and livescores
WWW.FANSNONI.COM
WWW.FANSNONI.COM
WWW.FANSNONI.COM

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Nobody: 3:25pm On May 13, 2013
Havilah93:

A must watch!
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by ukpaku: 3:45pm On May 13, 2013
bllluuueeesss all de way, the DEVIL will not succeed!the DEVIL is a liar ijn.

1 Like

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Nobody: 3:45pm On May 13, 2013
Booked space!
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Nobody: 3:50pm On May 13, 2013
Chelsea all the way*

1 Like

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Xb4Real: 4:08pm On May 13, 2013
God will gv us dis one. Chelsea r not gud in going tru a season witout a trophy. We are not ASSSSSNAL and can neva be. I REST MA CASE.

1 Like

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by boron10(m): 4:12pm On May 13, 2013
henrychubayo:

You too much. i never check this thing reach like these. He don confirm already say Chelsea runs him very well. I probably felt he resigned because of Jose morinho.
He resigned because EPL is becoming very much competitive and Howard webb is now less effective. Eyes don open. I see Man utd doing "an Arsenal" in the next 9 seasons.
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by TeenageMoney(m): 4:12pm On May 13, 2013
We d greatest!!! Blues Nooni...

Sir Alex Ferguson's 26 Years In Manchester United:::

Last Home Defeat - Chelsea
Last FA Cup Defeat - Chelsea
Last league Cup Defeat - Chelsea
Last Charity Cup Defeat - Chelsea
Last Champions League Defeat - Jose Mourinho
Holds a winning Record against every other Team In England Except - Chelsea
Has A Supreme Goal Differential Against every Team In The World Except One Team - Chelsea - Chelsea - Chelsea

Record Speaking!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Godwin978(m): 4:15pm On May 13, 2013
Up blues d deveil is lier we gona do them what we did to munich

if u belive we gona beat benfica clik like dont be scared

1 Like

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by boron10(m): 4:17pm On May 13, 2013
Benfica are never and will never be a threat to chelsea. We dealt with them last season, this season won't be an exception.

I'm glad my dear football club has so many haters. A good indication that we're making progress.

Blue is the colour

2 Likes

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by leboss6(m): 5:08pm On May 13, 2013
[color=#000099][/color] Blue is the color,football is da game.........we bringing the cup home...........#KTBFFH

1 Like

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by oscarpad(m): 5:22pm On May 13, 2013
We aren't arsenal......we don't go trophyless

1 Like

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by figment232(m): 5:30pm On May 13, 2013
boron10: Benfica are never and will never be a threat to chelsea. We dealt with them last season, this season won't be an exception.

I'm glad my dear football club has so many haters. A good indication that we're making progress.

Blue is the colour
Pls Pls Pls no underrating ooooo.
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by julioralph(m): 5:41pm On May 13, 2013
Chelsea will emerge champions.
Moses, Lamps and Fernando to score.

1 Like

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Chimerase(m): 5:51pm On May 13, 2013
Choi I can't wait 2 collect ma second trophy since last xmas.... 1. As a player I lifted de village FA cup nw 2. As a fan am abt 2 collect de europa cup...guys abeg dis dude here neva try ni!!!!!! cool

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (37) (Reply)

West Ham Vs Chelsea (2 - 1) On 24th October 2015 / Arsenal Vs Manchester United: FA Cup (1 - 3) On 25th January 2019 / Chelsea Vs PSG: UCL (1 - 2) On 9th March 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.