Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,994 members, 7,817,944 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:35 PM

Hip-hop Culture - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Hip-hop Culture (990 Views)

The Tragedy Of Whitewashing Hip Hop / Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? / The Infusion Of Hip Hop Culture Into Nigerian Society (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hip-hop Culture by Magz(m): 6:09am On Aug 28, 2009
Hip-hop culture helped me excel growing up. It helped shape me into a creative, competitive, and intelligent individual with confidence. Hip-hop literature and art magazines gave me an extra incentive to read. Congregating in the local hip-hop shops at B-Boy breakdance competitions and Emcee battles kept me off the streets and out of trouble. Listening to and studying the music expanded my vocabulary tremendously and gave me philosophies on life that were relatable to my way of living.

Hip-hop culture is such a huge part of who I am, and I am appreciative of this. I can't even adequately express how tremendously it affected my life.

Hip-hop culture is not dead! Nor is the spirit of the freedom fighters and rebels who planted the first seeds that would later blossom into the hip-hop eras, or the Ancient African griots who were rapping centuries and centuries ago to keep the knowledge and wisdom of the ancestors alive.

I keep Hip-hop in my heart!

I embrace and celebrate Hip-hop Culture!

cool wink
Re: Hip-hop Culture by 3spade3(m): 12:06pm On Aug 29, 2009
Re: Hip-hop Culture by africhika(f): 4:01pm On Aug 29, 2009
wow, those youtube videos were powerful.

hip hop started out with good intentions. i think rappers used to be the African American griots of contemporary society.
as griots are the preservers of culture, the speakers of truth, and the advocates for justice.

but now, hip hop is ridiculous. blacks have the power to do sooo much more.
Re: Hip-hop Culture by 3spade3(m): 11:50pm On Aug 29, 2009
africhika:

wow, those youtube videos were powerful.
hip hop started out with good intentions. i think rappers used to be the African American griots of contemporary society.
as griots are the preservers of culture, the speakers of truth, and the advocates for justice.
but now, hip hop is ridiculous. blacks have the power to do sooo much more.

I agree.
Re: Hip-hop Culture by Magz(m): 1:34am On Aug 30, 2009
Don't confuse hip-hop with the Devil-rap people are into nowadays. THAT'S NOT HIP-HOP; It is mind control! shocked
Re: Hip-hop Culture by Magz(m): 1:46am On Aug 30, 2009
@ 3Spade3, thanks for the vid links!!
Re: Hip-hop Culture by 3spade3(m): 2:05am On Aug 30, 2009
Magz:

@ 3Spade3, thanks for the vid links!!

You're welcome.
Re: Hip-hop Culture by Ogaga4Luv(m): 8:42pm On Sep 16, 2009
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Hip-hop Culture by Nobody: 1:33am On Sep 17, 2009
the Ancient African griots who were rapping centuries and centuries ago

ancient African griots were rapping?

ok!

seriously though, the wiki entry on breakdancing has a footnote about an Arab street dancer in the 18th century, indicating some kind of link.

(1) (Reply)

Would You Come Back As A Nigerian In Your Next Life? / How Is Beauty Viewed Among The Various Nigerian Tribes? / The importance of August 15th.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.