Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,732 members, 7,817,014 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

What Are Things To Check When Buying A Nigerian Used Car? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Are Things To Check When Buying A Nigerian Used Car? (4582 Views)

Do You Know 5 Must-check Parts When Buying A Used Car? / Top 10 Most Problematic Cars To Avoid When Buying A Car / How To Inspect A Used Car Before Buying (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are Things To Check When Buying A Nigerian Used Car? by Lovelynature(m): 1:04pm On Jun 13, 2016
I'll be going inspect a Nigerian used car ( golf 3 precisely), for the first time. Please car gurus in the house what are major things I should look out for, regarding papers and other things when buying a Nigerian used car?

cc GAZZUZZ, Siena and other car gurus, help a brother
Re: What Are Things To Check When Buying A Nigerian Used Car? by Mullberry: 1:08pm On Jun 13, 2016
Send us pictures of the vehicle when you get there.
Re: What Are Things To Check When Buying A Nigerian Used Car? by Lovelynature(m): 3:27pm On Jun 13, 2016
Mullberry:
here are is it sir

Re: What Are Things To Check When Buying A Nigerian Used Car? by Lovelynature(m): 3:31pm On Jun 13, 2016
Mullberry:
more
Re: What Are Things To Check When Buying A Nigerian Used Car? by Lovelynature(m): 3:41pm On Jun 13, 2016
More

please don't mind the poor camera. I didn't go with my main phone

Re: What Are Things To Check When Buying A Nigerian Used Car? by Lovelynature(m): 3:42pm On Jun 13, 2016
More

Re: What Are Things To Check When Buying A Nigerian Used Car? by Lovelynature(m): 3:44pm On Jun 13, 2016

Re: What Are Things To Check When Buying A Nigerian Used Car? by Mullberry: 4:03pm On Jun 13, 2016
What is the mileage record on the instrumental panel?

1 Like

Re: What Are Things To Check When Buying A Nigerian Used Car? by Mullberry: 4:21pm On Jun 13, 2016
Lovelynature:
I'll be going inspect a Nigerian used car ( golf 3 precisely), for the first time. Please car gurus in the house what are major things I should look out for, regarding papers and other things when buying a Nigerian used car?

okay so a couple of major things to examine:

Better lighting system.

Effective brakes

Smooth pick up of drive of the transmission

Ask of the engine's age and it's service history.

Examine engine for leaks, overheating and cracks in hoses, pipes and plastics.

Check for interior leaks, if possible test drive the car in the rain.

Now, one major thing-the suspension and steering. How would you rate the shock absorbers and vehicle alignment from your driving judgement?

Wheels. Check the tyres for thread wear and cracks

I'll add up more later
Re: What Are Things To Check When Buying A Nigerian Used Car? by AutoJoshNG: 4:27pm On Jun 13, 2016
Lovelynature:

Hello Lovelynature,

These are some of the checks you need to carry out:

1) Why are they selling as well as the history of the vehicle? So you don't buy another man's problem.
2) What issues does the car have at the moment and what major repair work has been carried out on the vehicle in the past? e.g change or overhaul of engine, change of transmission, major body work etc.
3) Allow the car to run for some minutes on idle without pressing anything and study the engine's performance for stability.
4) Study the engine's performance while the throttle is slightly pressed.
5) Take the car on a test drive on a rough road (to check the suspension) as well as the highway (to check the handling).
6) Make a left and a right U-Turn while accelerating to check the shaft.
7) Verify the actual owner of the vehicle by checking the vehicle papers against his or her valid ID card.
cool You can double check the vehicle papers presented to you at any licensing office to ensure they are genuine.
9) You can check the custom papers if available to ensure due process was followed in clearing the car through customs. This is not necessary in this particular case as the Golf has been in Nigeria for a reasonable time.
10) Make sure you only use a trustworthy mechanic for inspection if ever really need one.
11) You can get the contact of the seller's mechanic.

The more questions you ask, the easier for you to discover contradictions if any.

AutoJoshNG

4 Likes

Re: What Are Things To Check When Buying A Nigerian Used Car? by ogawisdom(m): 6:32pm On Jun 13, 2016
Op jst get a competent mechanic n pay him to examine d state of d car for u b4 purchase. Whatever u do keep at least 100k to take care of repairs dt may come up within d first 3months of usage.

Ur major concern shld b engine n transmission once they r in top shape negotiate d purchase price based on other changes dt u observe to b done on d car.

2 Likes

Re: What Are Things To Check When Buying A Nigerian Used Car? by Lovelynature(m): 7:14pm On Jun 13, 2016
Mullberry:
okay so a couple of major things to examine:

Better lighting system.

Effective brakes

Smooth pick up of drive of the transmission

Ask of the engine's age and it's service history.

Examine engine for leaks, overheating and cracks in hoses, pipes and plastics.

Check for interior leaks, if possible test drive the car in the rain.

Now, one major thing-the suspension and steering. How would you rate the shock absorbers and vehicle alignment from your driving judgement?

Wheels. Check the tyres for thread wear and cracks

I'll add up more later
AutoJoshNG:

Hello Lovelynature,
These are some of the checks you need to carry out:
1) Why are they selling as well as the history of the vehicle? So you don't buy another man's problem.
2) What issues does the car have at the moment and what major repair work has been carried out on the vehicle in the past? e.g change or overhaul of engine, change of transmission, major body work etc.
3) Allow the car to run for some minutes on idle without pressing anything and study the engine's performance for stability.
4) Study the engine's performance while the throttle is slightly pressed.
5) Take the car on a test drive on a rough road (to check the suspension) as well as the highway (to check the handling).
6) Make a left and a right U-Turn while accelerating to check the shaft.
7) Verify the actual owner of the vehicle by checking the vehicle papers against his or her valid ID card.
cool You can double check the vehicle papers presented to you at any licensing office to ensure they are genuine.
9) You can check the custom papers if available to ensure due process was followed in clearing the car through customs. This is not necessary in this particular case as the Golf has been in Nigeria for a reasonable time.
10) Make sure you only use a trustworthy mechanic for inspection if ever really need one.
11) You can get the contact of the seller's mechanic.
The more questions you ask, the easier for you to discover contradictions if any.
AutoJoshNG
Wow! Thanks a lot great minds. You guys just presented the exact info I need. I'm so grateful
Re: What Are Things To Check When Buying A Nigerian Used Car? by Lovelynature(m): 7:23pm On Jun 13, 2016
ogawisdom:
Op jst get a competent mechanic n pay him to examine d state of d car for u b4 purchase. Whatever u do keep at least 100k to take care of repairs dt may come up within d first 3months of usage.

Ur major concern shld b engine n transmission once they r in top shape negotiate d purchase price based on other changes dt u observe to b done on d car.
Nice one sir. Thank you so much
Re: What Are Things To Check When Buying A Nigerian Used Car? by vali1000: 8:38pm On Jun 13, 2016
Pls guys can you advise me b/w buying a Nigerian used toyota muscle and a belgin 03-07 corrola. which is your prefrence hence they'll cost almost same. tnx.
Re: What Are Things To Check When Buying A Nigerian Used Car? by AutoJoshNG: 3:52am On Jun 14, 2016
vali1000:
Pls guys can you advise me b/w buying a Nigerian used toyota muscle and a belgin 03-07 corrola. which is your prefrence hence they'll cost almost same. tnx.

Hello Vali1000,

You can only tell after both vehicles have been inspected and test driven. Go for the one with the higher rating based on your inspection.

The fact that a vehicle is tokunbo does not necessary mean it's better than the Nigerian used. However, it usually gives a higher level of comfort.

AutoJoshNG
Re: What Are Things To Check When Buying A Nigerian Used Car? by vali1000: 2:35pm On Jun 15, 2016
AutoJoshNG:

Hello Vali1000,
You can only tell after both vehicles have been inspected and test driven. Go for the one with the higher rating based on your inspection.
The fact that a vehicle is tokunbo does not necessary mean it's better than the Nigerian used. However, it usually gives a higher level of comfort.
AutoJoshNG
Higher level of comfort? dnt get it.
Re: What Are Things To Check When Buying A Nigerian Used Car? by AutoJoshNG: 4:24pm On Jun 15, 2016
vali1000:

Higher level of comfort? dnt get it.

Hello Vali1000,

In this context, higher level of comfort means 'peace of mind' as tokunbo will usually have less issues compared to Nigerian used.

AutoJoshNG

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Is Mileage Of 156,000 Miles Too High For A 1999 (ie 14-Year-Old) Car? / Advice On My Kia Cerato / Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.