Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,776 members, 7,817,200 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:08 AM

Orlando Shooter Omar Mateen Was Actually Gay, Former Classmate Says - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Orlando Shooter Omar Mateen Was Actually Gay, Former Classmate Says (685 Views)

Picture Of Stephen Paddock, Las Vegas Mass Shooter / IIhan Omar Sworn-In In USA As First Female Muslim Lawmaker (Photos) / Orlando Attack: Woman & Her Son Chat Before He Was Shot Dead At Orlando Shooting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Orlando Shooter Omar Mateen Was Actually Gay, Former Classmate Says by Kondomatic(m): 8:13am On Jun 15, 2016
The FBI is investigating reports that Orlando nightclub shooter Omar Mateen used gay dating apps and regularly visited Pulse before he shot more than 100 people inside, killing 49.

At least five people have come forward saying they saw Mateen at gay clubs, painting a complicated portrait of the American-born Muslim whom the FBI believes was radicalized by terrorist groups.

One former classmate of Omar Mateen’s 2006 police academy class told The Palm Beach Post that he believed Mateen was gay, saying Mateen once tried to pick him up at a bar.

The classmate said that he, Mateen and other classmates would hang out, sometimes going to gay nightclubs, after classes at Indian River Community College police academy. One night, he said Mateen asked him if he was gay. He said no, because he wasn’t telling people he was gay at the time.

“We went to a few gay bars with him, and I was not out at the time, so I declined his offer,” said the former classmate, who asked that his name not be used.

Jim Van Horn, 71, told The Associated Press that Mateen was a regular at the club. “He was trying to pick up people. Men,” he said.

While acknowledging he didn’t know Mateen well, Van Horn said:

“I think it’s possible that he was trying to deal with his inner demons, of trying to get rid of his anger of homosexuality.”

At least four regular customers of Pulse, the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender nightclub where the massacre took place, told the Orlando Sentinelon Monday that they believed they had seen Mateen there before.

“Sometimes he would go over in the corner and sit and drink by himself, and other times he would get so drunk he was loud and belligerent,” said Ty Smith, who also uses the name Aries.

He saw Mateen at the club at least a dozen times, he told the Sentinel. “We didn’t really talk to him a lot, but I remember him saying things about his dad at times,” Smith said. “He told us he had a wife and child.”

His first wife, who left after he became abusive to her, told the New York Times that Mateen might have been gay, but chose to hide it because of anger or shame. She also said that he frequented nightclubs before their relationship, but didn’t say they were gay clubs.

“He said, ‘Well if you were gay, you would be my type.’ I said OK and just went on with the night,” said the killers father when newsmen visited him at his home. “It was not anything too crazy, but I take that as a pick-up line.”

He believed Mateen was gay, but not open about it.

“He just wanted to fit in and no one liked him,” he said. “He was always socially awkward.”

Other news outlets talked to people who said they saw Mateen at Pulse years before Sunday’s massacre.
http://m.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/orlando-shooter-omar-mateen-was-gay-former-classma/nrfwW/

cc. lalasticlala
Re: Orlando Shooter Omar Mateen Was Actually Gay, Former Classmate Says by nepapole(m): 8:26am On Jun 15, 2016
Oga oooooo
Re: Orlando Shooter Omar Mateen Was Actually Gay, Former Classmate Says by feldido(m): 8:27am On Jun 15, 2016
“I think it’s possible that he was trying to deal with his inner demons, of trying to get rid of his anger of homosexuality.”

I think this might be the possibility
Re: Orlando Shooter Omar Mateen Was Actually Gay, Former Classmate Says by Kondomatic(m): 8:32am On Jun 15, 2016
nepapole:
Oga oooooo
madam oooo
Re: Orlando Shooter Omar Mateen Was Actually Gay, Former Classmate Says by Kondomatic(m): 8:33am On Jun 15, 2016
feldido:

I think this might be the possibility
could it be that You and I have different understanding of the above statement?

Cause I don't think so gringringrin
Re: Orlando Shooter Omar Mateen Was Actually Gay, Former Classmate Says by Ussyberry(m): 5:00pm On Jun 15, 2016
cheesy Bruhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

(1) (Reply)

See How Much President Obama Has Aged Since His 2008 Address / Is China Colonizing Africa? / Muslim Man Rapes 12 Year Old Girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.