Stats: 3,155,526 members, 7,826,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

Why Do Babies Smile In Their Sleep? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Babies Smile In Their Sleep? (1389 Views)

Husband Wakes His Wife Up With Breakfast In Bed, Her Smile Is Priceless (Photos) / Family Of Four Die In Their Sleep After Inhaling Generator Fumes In Kogi (Photo) / Why Do Babies Cry When They Are Just Born? (2) (3) (4)

Why Do Babies Smile In Their Sleep? by mojysiola(f): 9:43am On Jun 15, 2016
I was breastfeeding my one month old baby this morning and while doing that He slept off. And the next minute I noticed He was smiling. I have also noticed same in other babies too I mean smiling for few minutes while still asleep. So I began to wonder what makes babies smile in their sleep?.
Re: Why Do Babies Smile In Their Sleep? by Onegai(f): 11:19am On Jun 15, 2016
Involuntary Reflex action or passing gas, is what doctors will say.

But you and I both know the truth! They are doing it to mock us parents!! Babies are smiling happily, thinking to themselves "hoo boy, ah kept mama awake for 3 hours dis nite an' she cried in tayadness an' dada kept mumbling 'I need to sleep, work is tomorrow', ah defeat both of dem! Ah will do worse tamarru, muahahahaa!!"

Or the baby could be like "hoo boy, mama tried tu put me in da crib sayin nansense like 'you're too old to be sleeping with us, baby'. Buh ah shock her by standin' in da crib an' dancin' tirelessly till mama vex an' carry me back to big bed. Muahhaaha, her bweast izz mine foreva! Dada put pillow ova his head an' say 'Oh God, in my next life, I am NEVER having kids!' Ah win dem! So now lemme slep an' smile an' plan for dem tumarru".

Something like that.

Re: Why Do Babies Smile In Their Sleep? by NL1960: 12:05pm On Jun 15, 2016
Onegai:

But you and I both know the truth! They are doing it to mock us parents!! Babies are smiling happily, thinking to themselves "hoo boy, ah kept mama awake for 3 hours dis nite an' she cried in tayadness an' dada kept mumbling 'I need to sleep, work is tomorrow', ah defeat both of dem! Ah will do worse tamarru, muahahahaa!!"

Or the baby could be like "hoo boy, mama tried tu put me in da crib sayin nansense like 'you're too old to be sleeping with us, baby'. Buh ah shock her by standin' in da crib an' dancin' tirelessly till mama vex an' carry me back to big bed. Muahhaaha, her bweast izz mine foreva! Dada put pillow ova his head an' say 'Oh God, in my next life, I am NEVER having kids!' Ah win dem! So now lemme slep an' smile an' plan for dem tumarru".

Something like that.

Chai, iam sure you really worry your parents when you be small pikin. cheesy
Re: Why Do Babies Smile In Their Sleep? by Onegai(f): 12:26pm On Jun 15, 2016
NL1960:

Chai, iam sure you really worry your parents when you be small pikin. cheesy

I was a saint. It wasn't my fault that they were annoying me by not giving me what I wanted at that time and I had to punish them by crying a lot.

Meanwhile, Sers Seun and RoyalRoy of Nairaland, my reply required a "Whatever/eye-rolling-indifference" emoticon and your website doesn't have it.

And that is unacceptable.

Fix it. Or. Heads. Will. Roll.

(Sinister music fades away)

Re: Why Do Babies Smile In Their Sleep? by thorpido(m): 1:14pm On Jun 15, 2016
Onegai:

Something like that.
Lol.
@Op,it's an involuntary reflex action.The facial muscles move and it happens that the ones used for smiling are the ones active then.

Re: Why Do Babies Smile In Their Sleep? by crackhaus: 1:47pm On Jun 15, 2016
Anytime I see that smile, the first thing that goes through my mind is "darn, this little nigga doesn't yet know what life holds in store for em'."

Re: Why Do Babies Smile In Their Sleep? by Bolade005: 5:15pm On Jun 15, 2016
crackhaus:
Anytime I see that smile, the first thing that goes through my mind is "darn, this little nigga doesn't yet know what life holds in store for em'."
Or maybe the little nigga knows exactly what life has in store for "em. He damn sure it's a good life so the cheeky and/or cocky smile.
Re: Why Do Babies Smile In Their Sleep? by crackhaus: 5:22pm On Jun 15, 2016
Bolade005:

Or maybe the little nigga knows exactly what life has in store for "em. He damn sure it's a good life so the cheeky and/or cocky smile.
That's another way to look at it, yea maybe... grin
Re: Why Do Babies Smile In Their Sleep? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jun 15, 2016
Child development and psychology is one of the course I did in the university.
Babies smile in their sleep as a result of what is called Neonatal smiling, as babies mature, their smiles reduces. Neonatal smiling occurs from birth of the child to 1
month of age and it doesn't show any emotional
content,smiles usually happens while the baby is drowsy .

Re: Why Do Babies Smile In Their Sleep? by netotse(m): 3:33pm On Jun 18, 2016
Vickyydera:
Child development and psychology is one of the course I did in the university.
Babies smile in their sleep as a result of what is called Neonatal smiling, as babies mature, their smiles reduces. Neonatal smiling occurs from birth of the child to 1
month of age and it doesn't show any emotional
content,smiles usually happens while the baby is drowsy .
Hi...The act is called neonatal smiling...OP is asking for the cause.

Only In Africa!!! "SWAGGALICIOUS" Mum Pose With Son For Photo / Child Naming: Will Your Child Bear Your Name, Dad's Name Or Family Name? / CLOSED- 1 Left! A Few Low Rent Rooms And Flat To Let In Lekki