Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,971 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:38 AM

New Forex Regime To Kick Off At N260/$1 - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / New Forex Regime To Kick Off At N260/$1 (1035 Views)

CBN Introduces New FOREX Rates, Dollar Now N360 For "Invisibles" / Benefits Of CBN's New FOREX Policy / CBN Amends New Forex Policy Over Controversy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Forex Regime To Kick Off At N260/$1 by 989900: 6:58am On Jun 16, 2016
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) is suggesting that the new band for the naira, pending the direction of market forces, will be between 260 and 270 to the dollar.

Godwin Emefiele, the CBN governor, had said the position of the naira will be driven by market forces, but in a new document uploaded by the apex bank, it was further explained that the new regime would kick off at the the OTC foreign exchange futures contract rate of N260 to a dollar.

“The market shall operate as a single market structure through the inter-bank/autonomous window; the Exchange Rate would be purely market driven using the Thomson-Reuters Order Matching System as well as the Conversational Dealing Book,” Emefiele said while unveiling the new policy.

“The CBN would participate in the Market through periodic interventions to either buy or sell FX as the need arises,” he adds.

In the document, ‘how the naira-settled OTC FX futures market will work on FMDQ OTC securities exchange (FMDQ), it was explained that dealers (banks) will buy “Naira-settled OTC FX Futures are Non-Deliverable Forwards” of $1,000,000 at N270 to the dollar — N10 higher than OTC FX rate.

“It is assumed that Bank A would have transacted (bought USD in the Spot FX market) at $/₦270 which is higher than the OTC FX Futures contract rate of $/N260.

“The Clearing House, NIBSS, will pay Bank A N10,000,000 (i.e. N10 [N270-N260] per USD) thereby bringing Bank A’s effective rate to $/N260 (N270 assumed paid in buying USD less N10.00 received on the OTC FX Futures) which is the OTC FX Futures rate.

“CBN is assumed to have transacted (sold USD in the Spot FX market) at $/N270 which is higher than the OTC FX Futures contract rate of $/N260.

“The Clearing House, NIBSS, will take N10,000,000 (i.e. N10 per USD) from the Margin Account of the CBN thereby bringing CBN’s effective rate to $/N260 (N270 assumed received in selling USD less N10 paid out on the OTC FX Futures) which is the OTC FX Futures rate.

“If NIFEX had been $/N250 on maturity date, Bank A would pay CBN N10 per USD.”
Re: New Forex Regime To Kick Off At N260/$1 by lifezone247(m): 7:01am On Jun 16, 2016
Op this your moniker sef na wa.
Re: New Forex Regime To Kick Off At N260/$1 by 989900: 7:13am On Jun 16, 2016
lifezone247:
Op this your moniker sef na wa.

What about it? cheesy
Re: New Forex Regime To Kick Off At N260/$1 by pointstores(m): 7:20am On Jun 16, 2016
how dollar go come be
Re: New Forex Regime To Kick Off At N260/$1 by Boss13: 7:21am On Jun 16, 2016
@OP I find your information very confusing and unbelievable. The association of Fx marketers are yet to meet to discuss on the rate and spread/margin. Whilst I may agree with the rate you indicated, I do not understand how clearing house in Marina responsible for locally dominated transactions be responsible in buying FX.

Please note the CBN has said there will be primary and non-primary Fx dealers. The primary dealers will comprises mainly of 10 financial institutions based on liquidity, capital, amount of Fx transactions it has undertaken in the past.

Hence, it is unwise to spread and distort information, especially when the main players are yet to decided.

Be guided!

1 Like

Re: New Forex Regime To Kick Off At N260/$1 by MadamExcellency: 7:25am On Jun 16, 2016
A Government on auto pilot, driven by media pressure and talk-show economists.

Empty brains, implementing the obvious when the sick is six feet beneath the ground.
Re: New Forex Regime To Kick Off At N260/$1 by cckris: 7:32am On Jun 16, 2016
Forex at 300 naira to the dollar, especially higher will DAMAGE the APC in Nigeria. The only solution is for Buhari, Tinubu, Amaechi, & other APshits is to patriotically return the monies they stole from Nigerians, & hidden away in foreign accounts, & put these monies back into PRODUCTIVE CIRCULATION.

Acting as if they are still opposition activists will only worsen things for the APshits.

1 Like

Re: New Forex Regime To Kick Off At N260/$1 by Boss13: 7:41am On Jun 16, 2016
MadamExcellency:
A Government on auto pilot, driven by media pressure and talk-show economists.

Empty brains, implementing the obvious when the sick is six feet beneath the ground.

If a government is driven by media pressure it depicts that the government is a listening one. The media is the conscience of the people. Hence, I don't get your point. The CBN is trying to solve a problem, the least you can do is support.

I don't know who you are referring to as empty brains, but certainly not the CBN. However, I can deduce your brain cells are filled more with water based on this comment you just posted. Please prove me otherwise by posting something more meaningful and intelligent.

4 Likes

Re: New Forex Regime To Kick Off At N260/$1 by 989900: 7:44am On Jun 16, 2016
Boss13:
@OP I find your information very confusing and unbelievable. The association of Fx marketers are yet to meet to discuss on the rate and spread/margin. Whilst I may agree with the rate you indicated, I do not understand how clearing house in Marina responsible for locally dominated transactions be responsible in buying FX.

Please note the CBN has said there will be primary and non-primary Fx dealers. The primary dealers will comprises mainly of 10 financial institutions based on liquidity, capital, amount of Fx transactions it has undertaken in the past.

Hence, it is unwise to spread and distort information, especially when the main players are yet to decided.

Be guided!

This was an adjunct from the CBN later last night.

It is from the Cable; I can't post the link, because each time I post any link on NL since some 3 days now, I automatically get a 1 day ban.

You can search about it too.

However, what this article is essentially saying is, trading would probably kickoff from the N260-N270 band, from whence it could either go south or north from there, dependent on demand and supply.

3 Likes

Re: New Forex Regime To Kick Off At N260/$1 by janvier27(m): 8:44am On Jun 16, 2016
989900:

It is from the Cable; I can't post the link, because each time I post any link on NL since some 3 days now, I automatically get a 1 day ban.

However, what this article is essentially saying is, trading would probably kickoff from the N260-N270 band, from whence it could either go south or north from there, dependent on demand and supply.

We all know which direction it will go. A very nice way of dressing devaluation, which of course was inevitable.

1 Like

Re: New Forex Regime To Kick Off At N260/$1 by 989900: 8:47am On Jun 16, 2016
janvier27:

We all know which direction it will go. A very nice way of dressing devaluation, which of course was inevitable.

It all depends . . . I wrote an article about that too.

1 Like

Re: New Forex Regime To Kick Off At N260/$1 by solid3(m): 9:27am On Jun 16, 2016
This is a nice one. I hope our importers will bring down the cost of their items.
Re: New Forex Regime To Kick Off At N260/$1 by Boss13: 9:38am On Jun 16, 2016
989900:

Thanks for the clarification. I will contact insider source to confirm. On the other hand, if you cannot get the link, you can type the source. This will add credibility to your information.

Thanks again.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Forex Regime To Kick Off At N260/$1 by 989900: 10:06am On Jun 16, 2016
Boss13:

Thanks for the clarification. I will contact insider source to confirm. On the other hand, if you cannot get the link, you can type the source. This will add credibility to your information.

Thanks again.

Source: The cable

(1) (Reply)

Earn 30% On Your Extra Money / I Need A Loan Of 100k Without Collateral / What Nigeria's Calls This Type Of Fruits Or Is It In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.