Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,497 members, 7,816,185 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:10 AM

Objectivity Versus Sentiments: Much Ado About The Use Of Hijab - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Objectivity Versus Sentiments: Much Ado About The Use Of Hijab (1014 Views)

How Do I Restart My Battle Over The Use Of Prostitutes After Series Of Relapse? / On Subjectivity And Objectivity / Forget Personal Beliefs And Sentiments, Let Us Discuss The Existence Of God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Objectivity Versus Sentiments: Much Ado About The Use Of Hijab by Toeyoursea(m): 9:29am On Jun 16, 2016
Perhaps the scars of the unholy marriage of 1914 by Lord Lugard, Perhaps the unforgiving 'atrocities' of the Usman Dan Fodio movement in the 1800's, perhaps the ever-fresh bruises of the 1967-1970 civil war, perhaps northern aggressiveness and possessiveness, Perhaps politics, perhaps poverty, perhaps lack of core national values, perhaps ignorance, perhaps; all of the above.

Whatever it is that has killed the objectiveness of Nigerians in reacting to every situation needs to be nipped in the bud. The level of insecurity displayed by Nigerians has eaten deep so much that sincerity and objectivity is hardly a factor in taking stance. The spate of terrorism, cannibalism and shenanigans attributed to Islam is 'good enough as defense' for Islamophobia.

I certainly do not have the power to convince everyone as regards the issue of what hijab stands for to female Muslims. As a matter of fact; there is no single concept or believe that is agreed upon by the entire human race; not even the existence of God. Nonetheless, this shouldn't stop me from voicing my opinion or enlightening those who care to know.

Hijab is part and parcel of the public appearance of a Muslim female as prescribed by the Quran. Nowhere in the Quran is exemption given for her appearance in public places without hijab. Whether in the course of work, education, social or civil participation, expecting Muslim women to put off their hijab is synonymous to expecting them to temporarily put Islam aside. The freedom to worship is expressed in the Nigerian constitution and in every sane human rights yardstick.

There has been recent out-cry against a court ruling in Osun state, which allows the use of hijab. In reaction to this, CAN has taken what I deem to be a popular position among Christians (let the Christians also come to school in church robe). With all due respect, this stance is political, sentimental, somewhat spiteful and irks of intolerance as is the same as the behavior of some ‘Muslim’ elements in the north. In my candid opinion, CAN has been a disappointment to the teachings of the bible and I doubt if it has ever taken actions in defending the brutal killing of innocent Christians in the north or pushed for any meaningful agitation to defend the unity of Christians.

To put this in perspective: Sunday is the Sabbath day for the Christians and it 'luckily' falls on a work-free day. Imagine if the Muslims were to begin agitation for Friday to be made work-free because Sunday is work-free. Any Muslim who agitates for such will be deemed as unserious with sinister plots. Hijab is no religious attire; it's a part and parcel of the appearance of a female Muslim.

The picture painted is that the hijab may Islamize our educational sector, traumatize females putting on, poses health risk, default dress code and so on. In all honesty, all of these points do not hold water. I am sure most people do not know Americans are permitted to wear hijab to school. In the UK, except for Christian schools, it is permissible to wear hijab to school.

Please let us all stand for the truth regardless angry .
God bless Nigeria cool .

Olokodana Bukhari Omotoyosi

Re: Objectivity Versus Sentiments: Much Ado About The Use Of Hijab by eph12(m): 9:50am On Jun 16, 2016
Some people just trying to be mischievous. Don't know how the wearing of hijab is a threat to the existence of some Christians. Religion is a big problem in this country and it will always keep us in bondage unless we take extreme measures. Combine poverty hunger lack with religious fanaticism and the result you get is always disastrous.
On the other hand that court ruling may lead to other court rulings that will be a threat to our belief togetherness compatibility and national unity. I for one will support scrap of school uniforms.
Re: Objectivity Versus Sentiments: Much Ado About The Use Of Hijab by Toeyoursea(m): 10:17am On Jun 16, 2016
eph12:
Some people just trying to be mischievous. Don't know how the wearing of hijab is a threat to the existence of some Christians. Religion is a big problem in this country and it will always keep us in bondage unless we take extreme measures. Combine poverty hunger lack with religious fanaticism and the result you get is always disastrous.
On the other hand that court ruling may lead to other court rulings that will be a threat to our belief togetherness compatibility and national unity. I for one will support scrap of school uniforms .

I think scraping of uniforms will certainly be the best solution, because in fairness to those against the use of hijab on uniform, it distorts the essence of uniforms.

On the other hand, if government were to scrap uniforms, Muslim females will still go to schools in their hijab. The same can not be said with the church robes.
Re: Objectivity Versus Sentiments: Much Ado About The Use Of Hijab by eph12(m): 10:36am On Jun 16, 2016
Toeyoursea:

I think the scrap of uniforms will certainly be the best solution, because in fairness to those against the use of hijab on uniform, the hijab distorts the essence of uniforms.

On the other hand, if government were scrap uniforms, Muslim females will still go to school in their hijab. The same can not be said with the church robes.

Yea true but then there won't be any complaints and we can put our energy to good usr
Re: Objectivity Versus Sentiments: Much Ado About The Use Of Hijab by budaatum: 4:01am On Jul 28, 2018

(1) (Reply)

Young Priests Scared Of Exorcisms Job Following Possessed Pins And Wood Vomiting / Jesus And The Kingdom That Never Existed / Ikilo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.