Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,774 members, 7,851,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 02:42 AM

Is Christianity All About Prosperity? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Christianity All About Prosperity? (647 Views)

Why Is Christianity Diminishing In Europe And America? / Is Christianity True? The Greatest Conspiracy Ever / Why Is Christianity So Hated And Persecuted Is It Because It's "conversion Theory" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Christianity All About Prosperity? by RICHIEBOI1(m): 11:53pm On Aug 30, 2009
In my own opinion I would say Pastor's preach prosperity this days because to me it seems they have lost the essence of their calling. To an extent I will say how many of them are really called to be a pastor? Many of them are their for self glorification and self gratification. When you look closely, You will notice that apart from politics in Nigeria, another lucrative business is the church business and if you are good at telling the people what they want to hear and not what they must hear, then be sure they will continue to sow a seed in the pastor, bless the pastor while the pastor continue to progress and the church member wallow in abject poverty.(Some). With some exception among the Nigerian Pastor, I will tell you that most are fraudulent. Pastors don't want to loose their members therefore they seldom talk about salvation rather they preach about the need to amass wealth simply because they know it will flow back to them via the members. Any way I will like to say people should be vigilant cos we are in the endtime.
Re: Is Christianity All About Prosperity? by KunleOshob(m): 8:33am On Aug 31, 2009
The prosperity preachers are the false prophets we were warned about in the bible, neither Jesus nor the aposltes ever preached about prosperity.
Re: Is Christianity All About Prosperity? by MrCrackles(m): 8:41am On Aug 31, 2009
KunleOshob:

The prosperity preachers are the false prophets we were warned about in the bible, neither Jesus nor the aposltes ever preached about prosperity.
Really?
shocked
Re: Is Christianity All About Prosperity? by Nezan(m): 12:20pm On Aug 31, 2009
As Christians, whether rich or poor, the onus is on us to continue worshipping God in truth and in the spirit.
Re: Is Christianity All About Prosperity? by Nobody: 3:44am On Sep 01, 2009
RICHIE BOI:

In my own opinion I would say Pastor's preach prosperity this days because to me it seems they have lost the essence of their calling. To an extent I will say how many of them are really called to be a pastor? Many of them are their for self glorification and self gratification. When you look closely, You will notice that apart from politics in Nigeria, another lucrative business is the church business and if you are good at telling the people what they want to hear and not what they must hear, then be sure they will continue to sow a seed in the pastor, bless the pastor while the pastor continue to progress and the church member wallow in abject poverty.(Some). With some exception among the Nigerian Pastor, I will tell you that most are fraudulent. Pastors don't want to loose their members therefore they seldom talk about salvation rather they preach about the need to amass wealth simply because they know it will flow back to them via the members. Any way I will like to say people should be vigilant cos we are in the endtime.

Where most of them "called" in the first place?
Re: Is Christianity All About Prosperity? by Nobody: 7:03am On Sep 01, 2009
@david
They called themselves.some were even personally annointed by Jesus in their dreams.
Re: Is Christianity All About Prosperity? by banom(m): 10:56am On Sep 01, 2009
To me, i believe it is very good for someone to prosper , prosperity is not about religion.
Re: Is Christianity All About Prosperity? by Nobody: 11:18am On Sep 01, 2009
@banom
I agree with you, but many folks are too deluded and brain washed to think otherwise.
Re: Is Christianity All About Prosperity? by alimat2(f): 11:47am On Sep 01, 2009
Pastors no go chop? grin grin grin
Re: Is Christianity All About Prosperity? by petres007(m): 8:08pm On Sep 01, 2009
Hmm, Nice thread grin grin grin

@Poster, my simple answer to you question is NO, christianity is not about prosperity.

In fact, Jesus and his apostles NEVER preached prospertiy. Their message was even clearly against desiring and running after material wealth, unlike what our self-appointed "men of gawds" preach today. But there's this one thing I'll give to them sha - they coined their own gospel, THE PROSPERITY GOSPEL"! wink cheesy grin grin

I'm sure it's not deliberate sha. But I also believe it sure helps point out that what they preach is not the gospel of Jesus Jesus Christ, the gospel that saves. It's left for those who have any ounce of discerning left to figure it out and avoid it.

@david,
I haven't been seeing much of your posts lately. U ok? cheesy
Re: Is Christianity All About Prosperity? by petres007(m): 8:18pm On Sep 01, 2009
alimat 2:

Pastors no go chop? grin grin grin

make hungry kill all of dem jor! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Christianity All About Prosperity? by Mudley313: 6:05am On Sep 02, 2009
make hungry kill all of dem jor!

lai!lai!! too many magas for dat to ever happen. remember, their god is not a poor god but e dey always ask for money from poor people in the name of tithes n seed faiths to help am do e work. smh
Re: Is Christianity All About Prosperity? by bayo1(m): 8:53am On Sep 02, 2009
Prosperity in the bible does not only refer to financial prosperity. It is prosperity all around - Spirit, Soul and Body. 3 John 2. And neither did Jesus come to spread the message of penury. Who among you want to be wished "long life and poverty"
Poverty stinks, the bible says the poverty of the poor is their destruction. Show me where in the bible where Jesus advocates poverty. He came poor so we can be rich. How can the one who own the earth and the fullness thereof gives birth to paupa? Wake Up! You can be as poor as mosque rat and still go to hell, whereas you can be as rich as Abraham and still find a place in heaven. Stop this hypocrisy.
Re: Is Christianity All About Prosperity? by PastorAIO: 1:38pm On Sep 02, 2009
The Gospel is not about prosperity in the financial sense. It is the financial sense that most of these churches mean. Alas you cannot serve God and Mammon, it is either you hate one and love the other or you love the one and hate the other. If these churches love money so much then it follows that they must hate God.

But what exactly is the problem here? What is it about Money that is distracting people away from God and the straight and narrow? It is very important that we understand what money is and it's spiritual and ethical effects are so that we know how we can tackle it.

First and foremost it is important that we understand that Money does not have any Value in and of itself but rather is a REPRESENTATION OF VALUE.

First and foremost it is important that we understand that Money does not have any Value in and of itself but rather is a REPRESENTATION OF VALUE.

Everybody has a value scheme (or a number of value schemes) against which they weigh everything that they encounter and give it rating from Bad/evil/undesirable all the way up to Good/Ideal/desirable. Everybody aspires towards the ideal. When making choices we seek to choose the better over the worse.
Money is merely for representing the different gradations on the value scheme.

Now according to a Christian the Highest value, the Ideal, is the Kingdom of Heaven. It is likened to that most precious pearl that if you find it, you will sell everything else that you have in order to buy it.

So, how is money a problem? Well it so happens that not only is money a representation of value but unfortunately it also distorts value too. And it is this tendency to distort value when one can see beyond the Cash that makes money so dangerous for the well being of human beings.
Re: Is Christianity All About Prosperity? by KunleOshob(m): 9:06am On Sep 03, 2009
bayo1:

Prosperity in the bible does not only refer to financial prosperity. It is prosperity all around - Spirit, Soul and Body. 3 John 2. And neither did Jesus come to spread the message of penury. Who among you want to be wished "long life and poverty"
Poverty stinks, the bible says the poverty of the poor is their destruction. Show me where in the bible where Jesus advocates poverty. He came poor so we can be rich. How can the one who own the earth and the fullness thereof gives birth to paupa? Wake Up! You can be as poor as mosque rat and still go to hell, whereas you can be as rich as Abraham and still find a place in heaven. Stop this hypocrisy.

I thought the phrase was "poor as a church rat" are you saying there are no more poor church rats as they are now all very rivh courtesy of out tights grin and offerings.?
Re: Is Christianity All About Prosperity? by alimat2(f): 10:44am On Sep 03, 2009
bayo1:

Poor as mosque Rat indeed, Why do u like stepping the snake at its tail?

By your speech u say prosperity in the bible does not only refer to financial prosperity, Hav u forgetten that if you are a poor xtain your chair is at the back in the church and u dnt hav any say /contribution and the rich ones so ordained and called elders of the church occupies the front seats.

it has been said that money is the wheel barrow of evangelism
Re: Is Christianity All About Prosperity? by bayo1(m): 11:28am On Sep 03, 2009
Poor as mosque Rat indeed, Why do u like stepping the snake at its tail?

By your speech u say prosperity in the bible does not only refer to financial prosperity, Hav u forgetten that if you are a poor xtain your chair is at the back in the church and u dnt hav any say /contribution and the rich ones so ordained and called elders of the church occupies the front seats.

it has been said that money is the wheel barrow of evangelism

Okay then, as poor as poor rat!

"The rich rules over the poor and the borrower is servant to the lender", so says the word of God. Prosperity is a choice, if you want to be poor you can go for that too. And the bible does not teach us that the poor should seat at the back of the church while the reach has special seat, at least in my own church that does not happen. And no special recognition too. May be u should pay a visit once. Nobody knows who gives what when it comes to offering or tithe, and no record of such.

Yes, i said prosperity in the bible does not refer only to finances. Financial prosperity is just part of the whole picture. "I wish above all things that you prosper even as your soul prospered" It covers your soul, spirit and body. What is the essence of financial prosperity with sickness?

(1) (Reply)

(a Story To Live By). I Give Thank / 72 Virgins? / Tribalism And Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.