Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper (9705 Views)

Daniel Akpeyi And Wife, Emmanuella Welcome Son (Photos) / Super Eagles Players Donate N1m To Akpeyi, Echiejile Weddings / Rohr Replaces Injured Carl Ikeme With Daniel Akpeyi (2) (3) (4)

Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by robosky02(m): 7:52am On Jun 17, 2016
South Africa-based Daniel Akpeyi will be on Nigeria’s squad to the Rio Olympics as one of the over-aged players and he will be the top-choice goalkeeper ahead of Emmanuel Daniel in Brazil.

Akpeyi, who plays for Chippa United in South Africa’s Premier Soccer League, is a late inclusion to Nigeria’s provisional list as one of several over-aged players and he is now set to be selected as one of the three over-aged players in the squad, Africanfootball.com reported.

The 29-year-old was initially not in contention for a place in the squad, as Nigeria U23 coach Samson Siasia had listed only outfield players as possible over-aged for the Games, but appears to have had a change of heart.

“Dan (Akpeyi) was not on the list but coach (Siasia) realises he needs an experienced goalkeeper in the squad especially after the Korea tournament,” an official of the Nigeria Football Federation said.

“He (Akpeyi) is not new to coach and that’s why he has been selected and I can tell you that he will make the team except any last minute change like his club refusing to release him, which we don’t think will happen,” the source informed further.

Akpeyi is expected to resume for pre-season on July 6 with his club while he will not be with the Nigeria U23 all through a training camp in US later this month. The goalkeeper is however expected to join them in time for the Games in Brazil.

The goalkeeper has previously worked with Siasia and was a member of the silver-winning FIFA U20 World Cup team in 2005 and was also part of Nigeria’s Olympic squad in 2008.

The latest being the ill-fated 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers against Egypt, of which Siasia was the Super Eagles coach on an interim capacity and Akpeyi was in goal in the return leg in Alexandria.

But contrary to general reports that Victor Moses may be dropped from the team, The PUNCH has confirmed from the NFF that the Chelsea player never made the list.

“From the list available to me, Victor’s name is not there. I have a copy of the provisional list the coach is working with and his name was not even in the original list drawn up,” the NFF top official said on Wednesday.

http://www.punchng.com/akpeyi-listed-nigeria-olympics-goalkeeper/

Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by seyema(m): 7:57am On Jun 17, 2016
Nice one

Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by Nobody: 8:00am On Jun 17, 2016
nice inclusion
Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by robosky02(m): 8:06am On Jun 17, 2016
the Picture is getting clearer
by the time we call up the other 2 over aged players

and the likes of Iwobi, Iheanacho etc...

it will surely be

LETS GO THERE.... cheesy

Lalasticlala

Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by veekid(m): 11:57am On Jun 17, 2016
good news
Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by Smellymouth: 11:58am On Jun 17, 2016
Nice one ..::

Naso we go dey celebrate goals for Olympics ::

I believe in TeamNaija# cool

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by Mpeace(m): 12:00pm On Jun 17, 2016
Since am not one of the overage, na to go do age declaration be dat. Rio must not pass me by.
We really need his experience especially against Sweden(the fear of Ibrahimovic).

Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by stobery(m): 12:01pm On Jun 17, 2016
Patience
He has been with Siasia since 2005
Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by Daslim180(m): 12:01pm On Jun 17, 2016
I wish him good luck
Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jun 17, 2016
Nice one, come add mikel and victor moses to fill the remaining 2spot for over age players
Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by Lovexme(m): 12:03pm On Jun 17, 2016
It probably won't be a wise decision if he won't be starting. Nice inclusion nonetheless. cool

My 7th birthday on here. cool
Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by dacovajnr: 12:03pm On Jun 17, 2016
Smellymouth:

Gif Master grin Wetin dey for us today?

Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by Bartwale(m): 12:03pm On Jun 17, 2016
OK
Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by androsurf: 12:04pm On Jun 17, 2016
Congrats!

Are you looking for a way to promote your product/service/company/business/website/blog?
Worry no more, have got the solution just for , Unique Video Marketing.

This is a video advert I made for DEEDEESBLOG (A lifestyle website...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvItAkrbE9s

You can check some of my work and clients testimony by following this thread >>>https://www.nairaland.com/3093128/nairalanders-video-advert-nairaland-order

This method of advertisement will market your businesses both online and offline till kingdom come...

If you ever need me to help you make a video advert for your products/services/blogs/companies/websites e.t.c, just for a token, contact me ===> Myvideoadverts at gmail.com
Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by mallaudavid: 12:04pm On Jun 17, 2016
This golly is he sure he is good enough for us[i][/i][i][/i]
Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by bqlekan(m): 12:07pm On Jun 17, 2016
You sure your decision was not influenced by anyone in the glass house? He even said Akpeyi will surely make the team...
Is this healthy enough for the team?
Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by SureRides4u(m): 12:08pm On Jun 17, 2016
Nice one... Thumbs up

If you need a clean car to buy just check my signature link. Thanks
Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by inme: 12:08pm On Jun 17, 2016

Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by Emmatdayo(m): 12:13pm On Jun 17, 2016
Smellymouth:

lol, u dun start again today abi? grin grin grin grin

Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by gift01: 12:15pm On Jun 17, 2016
Vincent Enyeama would've been better but he's gone

Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by neolboy(m): 12:17pm On Jun 17, 2016
Pls is Mikel Obi part of the over age players going to Rio 2016
Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by giles14(m): 12:29pm On Jun 17, 2016
robosky02:

South Africa-based Daniel Akpeyi will be on Nigeria’s squad to the Rio Olympics as one of the over-aged players and he will be the top-choice goalkeeper ahead of Emmanuel Daniel in Brazil.

Akpeyi, who plays for Chippa United in South Africa’s Premier Soccer League, is a late inclusion to Nigeria’s provisional list as one of several over-aged players and he is now set to be selected as one of the three over-aged players in the squad, Africanfootball.com reported.

The 29-year-old was initially not in contention for a place in the squad, as Nigeria U23 coach Samson Siasia had listed only outfield players as possible over-aged for the Games, but appears to have had a change of heart.

“Dan (Akpeyi) was not on the list but coach (Siasia) realises he needs an experienced goalkeeper in the squad especially after the Korea tournament,” an official of the Nigeria Football Federation said.

“He (Akpeyi) is not new to coach and that’s why he has been selected and I can tell you that he will make the team except any last minute change like his club refusing to release him, which we don’t think will happen,” the source informed further.

Akpeyi is expected to resume for pre-season on July 6 with his club while he will not be with the Nigeria U23 all through a training camp in US later this month. The goalkeeper is however expected to join them in time for the Games in Brazil.

The goalkeeper has previously worked with Siasia and was a member of the silver-winning FIFA U20 World Cup team in 2005 and was also part of Nigeria’s Olympic squad in 2008.

The latest being the ill-fated 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers against Egypt, of which Siasia was the Super Eagles coach on an interim capacity and Akpeyi was in goal in the return leg in Alexandria.

But contrary to general reports that Victor Moses may be dropped from the team, The PUNCH has confirmed from the NFF that the Chelsea player never made the list.

“From the list available to me, Victor’s name is not there. I have a copy of the provisional list the coach is working with and his name was not even in the original list drawn up,” the NFF top official said on Wednesday.

http://www.punchng.com/akpeyi-listed-nigeria-olympics-goalkeeper/
Na dem knw,all I know let siasia jst make sure that iwobi N kelechi is in dat term
Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by walesmurphy: 12:43pm On Jun 17, 2016
With all this shoddy preparation, not even 11 overaged players will get naija any medal.
Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by nuesmann(m): 12:45pm On Jun 17, 2016
Guseh:
Nice one, come add mikel and victor moses to fill the remaining 2spot for over age players
CARRY CHELSEA FC GO REPRESENT US NAH
Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by Kenechi1: 6:26pm On Jun 17, 2016
Why is the full list
Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by Reference(m): 7:40pm On Jun 17, 2016
neolboy:
Pls is Mikel Obi part of the over age players going to Rio 2016

Hope not. Aren't you tired of seeing his face. Like we can't move forward in this country. Stuck on the same spot in perpetuity. We have seen Mikel's game over the years, through and through. He has nothing new or better to offer. Let us build a new team for the future, an entirely new team.
Re: Akpeyi Listed As Nigeria Olympics Goalkeeper by faraday1998: 8:32pm On Jun 17, 2016
I am going to Heaven! Not because I am a Baptist
preacher. Not because I attend church. Not because
I have been baptized. Not because I pay my tithes.
Not because I try to live right. All of those things are
good and every saved person ought to do them,
but those things cannot save the soul. No, I am going to heaven because one day, May 23, 1983, I
came to the place where I looked to no one or no
thing but to Jesus Christ alone. I am going because
I know Jesus. One thing and one thing alone was
required for me to be saved and I did that thing. I
looked to Jesus and He saved my soul! Have you come to the source of salvation? Or, are
you still trying to get it some other way? Listen, stop
trying to do what has already been done, and look
to Jesus Christ by faith, and He will save you from
your sins and from Hell. There is but one way to
Heaven, to God and to salvation and His Name is Jesus. He is the sole source of salvation!

Dangote Donates ₦50M To Super Falcons For AWCON Win (photos) / List Of Nigerian Footballers Who Have Died On The Field. / NFF On Condolence Visit To Solomon Dalung (Photos)