Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

My Problem With Modern Feminism - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / My Problem With Modern Feminism (928 Views)

My Problem With The Yoruba Muslims / Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? / Coining New Igbo Terminology For The Modern Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Problem With Modern Feminism by kaybams1(m): 2:30am On Jun 19, 2016
Feminism of recent has evolved into an aggressive movement with a simple message: Equality of genders. I equally agree that no gender is superior to the other in the literal sense of it. We are all meant to complement each other. Humanity itself cannot survive without the presence of both genders in it. Women has their special roles while men have theirs'. So there is no such thing as a superior gender or role here.

However, where most feminists get it wrong is in their advocacy itself: EQUALITY. Equality implies Sameness. Being allowed to do the same thing a man does. Its a misguided advocacy that neglects the fact that nature isn't stupid. A man is a man, a woman is a woman. We are designed in ways that makes some roles gender specific. A man cannot be pregnant or solve problems that requires a feminine ability. Likewise a woman cannot be allowed to engage in roles that require physical exertions or manly traits. Imagine the disaster to live in a community where its vigilantes are women while men snore in their rooms. Or a case where men are made to be strapping babies behind their backs,breastfeeding and doing roles known for mothers. We are simply different and that's what makes it awesome. We should appreciate the differences and not attach unnecessary hierarchy to it. Its in this same world men will be tagged irresponsible for allowing women stand in a BRT bus while men are sitting down. But if predicaments are switched, a woman won't necessarily stand up for a man with serious sores in his feet because 'afterall he is a man'. A situation that exposes the hypocrisy of the equality message of feminists. Don't get the intents of my analogies wrong, the idea is to buttress the fact that humanity will not survive if we are the same. Because it will then mean no man will care for that woman standing since 'we are the same afterall'. And no one will also make much noise about a husband beating his wife since it is expected for her to pound him also since 'afterall they are the same'.

If something isn't broke, don't fix it. Advocate equity not equality. The fair treatment of everyone based on the uniqueness of the gender. That makes more sense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Problem With Modern Feminism by alandro4love: 8:57am On Jan 08, 2017
Well worded bro.. God bless the part of your brain that wrote this piece. You've said it all.

1 Like

Re: My Problem With Modern Feminism by jayriginal: 4:01am On Jan 09, 2017
Op summed up my thoughts and put them into writing. Equal but different. That's the bottom line. The best way to live in harmony is to recognize, accept and work with our differences and strengths.

(1) (Reply)

Ooni Given Special Recognition By Members Of Black Caucus,USA House Of Rep(pics) / Nigerians Reacts As Oba Of Lagos Snub Ooni Of Ife (video) / The 14th Aare Ona Kakanfo ( Bashorun M.k.o Abiola)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.