Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,270 members, 7,811,795 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:47 PM

June 19th: World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / June 19th: World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day (997 Views)

2018 World Sickle Cell Day / Kebbi Sickle Cell Association (KESCA) Marks World Sickle Cell Day (Photos) / World Sickle Cell Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

June 19th: World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day by rosiem(f): 6:44pm On Jun 19, 2016
Its a pity that on a day like this, no one remembered to make a post about the world sickle cell anaemia day.
This is a day that is supposedly set aside by UNESCO to create more awareness about sickle cell anaemia as a lot of people are still in the dark regarding sickle cell anaemia. Not many people know or understand the ordeals of sickle cell patients and not many people understand what this disease entails but I believe sickle cell anaemia is a huge health concern especially to those involved.

Sickle cell anaemia is an hereditary disease which is passed on when both or one parent(s) has the sickle cell trait.
For instance, two people who are both of the AS genotype. If they decide to have kids, the chances of having a sickle cell child is about 98%. They could sometimes get lucky and the first child will come out with AA genotype or AS.

I believe in today's world, considering the fast rising of technology, people shouldn't make the mistake of having a sickle cell child. Two individuals with the AS genotype must not come together and of they must get married then they should not dare have kids. Somtimes, I feel the reason why people still ignorantly decide to have kids is cos they don't know what it feels like to have sickle cell crisis. They have no idea how excruciating the pains could be, they have no idea about the helpless feeling or heartache which sickle cell patients guardians or loved ones go through. If only they knew, am sure by now we would have achieved a sickle cell free generation.

The symptoms of sickle cell anaemia varies from person to person but the most common ones include; yellow eyes, small stature, stunted growth, delayed growth, crisis(I believe this is the only symptom every sickle cell patient experiences. This is when the blood vessels become blocked as a result of the sickle shaped RBCs getting stuck in together), leg ulcers, heart and chest pains, swollen hands and feet, pains in the joints, back pains, etc

Living with sickle cell anaemia involves a lot of things, from the medications, no stress, keeping warm, living with the criticism of people, etc. People even believe that sickle cell patients can't lead normal lives. I want to say that's a huge lie, we have our lives, we still lead normal lives, still achieve our goals and still stay healthy, it might be difficult and we might even have to struggle but I always believe the only difference between me and someone with normal RBCs (red blood cells) is the fact that I am stronger.

June 19th is also a day set aside to celebrate sickle cell warriors for every won battle with sickle cell anemia, its also a day set aside to acknowledge our guardians and our loved ones whom despite not knowing much about the pains still support, care and love us during those dark nights when the crisis come. If you have never seen a sickle cell patient in crisis then most of what I have written will make little or no sense to you.

Please, let's join hands together to create the awareness, with our hands joined together, a sickle cell free generation is possible. Spread this news today in the best way you can, make the voices of warriors heard.

To every warrior out there, Happy World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day, we are indeed warriors.

Re: June 19th: World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day by zoedicus: 10:44am On Aug 24, 2017
I think this might help....Sickle Cell Foundation of Nigeria is a cool place.
They've got labs and offer clinical services there too. You can run tests, treat leg ulcer, and get genetic advice from them.
Check out the facebook page here -

https://www.facebook.com/sicklecellfoundation/

(1) (Reply)

Kedi Revive | Product Introduction / Buy Nature's Bounty St. John's Wort, 300mg, From Micostarmall / Must Read: Bulging Bellies Due To Fibroid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.