Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,844 members, 7,820,935 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

World Sickle Cell Day - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / World Sickle Cell Day (6441 Views)

June 19, World Sickle Cell Day / See Photos Of US Embassy Commemoration Of World Sickle Cell Day / Kebbi Sickle Cell Association (KESCA) Marks World Sickle Cell Day (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Sickle Cell Day by Abali1(m): 7:03am On Jun 19, 2017
Today, June 19, is a day set aside by WHO as World Sickle Day.
I am here today, because I have survived. Battles have been fought, casualties recorded, and comrades lost(in this fight against Sickle Cell).
We will soldier on. We will keep lending our voices to the fight against Sickle Cell. No matter how obstinate or nonchalant the rest are about the scourge, we owe a duty to ourselves to make our voices heard.
No matter, how much others disdain us, we owe a duty to ourselves to make our voices heard.
No matter how loud and deafening the silence is, by those who are supposed to know better. We owe a duty to ourselves to make our voices heard.
The scars are there.
The pain has not gone away.
The midnight tears, is a constant reminder of the battles we have to fight.
But above all else, I have SURVIVED.
Happy World Sickle Cell Day.

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: World Sickle Cell Day by Abali1(m): 7:19am On Jun 19, 2017
@Dominique and Lalasticlala, it won't be out of order to ask that this thread be pushed to the Front Page.
We remain loyal to NL.

3 Likes

Re: World Sickle Cell Day by Abali1(m): 7:20am On Jun 19, 2017
SICKLE CELL ANAEMIA (WORLD SICKLE CELL DAY)
Legs aching with slightest sickness, Knees quaking with utmost weakness, A moment of leg ulcer, untold trauma, Crying bloody tears in a state of coma.
A moment of sickness, paralyzed health, Writhing in pain, struggling for breath, Rolling on the floor in tearful pains, Bones aching like someone in chains.
Oh why! Oh my! Oh why sickle cell? Crying hot tears in basket of well, Grips of pains seems too much, Miracle seems too far to touch.
Ulcer legs, aching sore-ful bones, Fatigue, fainting, backout prone, A moment of pain makes very ill, Injections taken against one's will.
It strangles health when you least expect, It gift pain without will to object, Ulcer legs, bones sore, Slightest sickness, knocking on heaven's door.
Fatigue, blackout like a man in the coffin Oblivious of what is in the offin; But I'll rise again, I won't be silenced by pain.
Though sickness makes nights dreary I won't allow my soul to be wearied, I will never give up on breathe And I will never give in to death.
My faith won't be smothered by dismay, My strength will be renewed day by day, I won't give up the will to live, My head won't be buried in grieve.
I may stand, faint and fall But I won't give up the will to stand tall, Anxiety and agony won't rest on my soul, I will rise again and be made whole.
I won't give up the ghost, I won't be death's host, I won't yield to the bid of casket, I won't kick the bucket.

All Rights Reserved Osoba Taiwo P. ©PeterPushingPoetrywithPenetratingPen 2017.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World Sickle Cell Day by NwaAmaikpe: 9:31am On Jun 19, 2017
shocked

Happy sickler's day to all the sicklers on NL.

Advice to Sicklers
Live a peace with your neighbors, don't stress your heart, cut down your sex drive, don't marry because you will break your partner's heart eventually.
Take each day as your last.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Sickle Cell Day by idrisolaide(m): 9:32am On Jun 19, 2017
SICKLE CELL ANAEMIA (WORLD SICKLE CELL DAY)
Legs aching with slightest sickness, Knees quaking with utmost weakness, A moment of leg ulcer, untold trauma, Crying bloody tears in a state of coma.
A moment of sickness, paralyzed health, Writhing in pain, struggling for breath, Rolling on the floor in tearful pains, Bones aching like someone in chains.
Oh why! Oh my! Oh why sickle cell? Crying hot tears in basket of well, Grips of pains seems too much, Miracle seems too far to touch.
Ulcer legs, aching sore-ful bones, Fatigue, fainting, backout prone, A moment of pain makes very ill, Injections taken against one's will.
It strangles health when you least expect, It gift pain without will to object, Ulcer legs, bones sore, Slightest sickness, knocking on heaven's door.
Fatigue, blackout like a man in the coffin Oblivious of what is in the offin; But I'll rise again, I won't be silenced by pain.
Though sickness makes nights dreary I won't allow my soul to be wearied, I will never give up on breathe And I will never give in to death.
My faith won't be smothered by dismay, My strength will be renewed day by day, I won't give up the will to live, My head won't be buried in grieve.
I may stand, faint and fall But I won't give up the will to stand tall, Anxiety and agony won't rest on my soul, I will rise again and be made whole.
I won't give up the ghost, I won't be death's host, I won't yield to the bid of casket, I won't kick the bucket.

All Rights Reserved Osoba Taiwo P. ©PeterPushingPoetrywithPenetratingPen 2017.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: World Sickle Cell Day by HolyCraig: 9:32am On Jun 19, 2017
My 'sickler' freind was not lucky, she died during child birth over the weekend. May her soul rest in peace.

3 Likes

Re: World Sickle Cell Day by geekybabe(f): 9:32am On Jun 19, 2017
Here is saying a prayer.

For these warriors who amidst pain and discomfort find a way to live through life..

For the young innocent kids in dis category who are conceived and birthed into uncertainty by ignorant or just plain selfish parents...

You warriors make it difficult for some of us to give up on living no matter how hard life is.

May you find more strenght for each day and hope for tomorrow.

P.s: And to those foolish AS + AS lovers that are still foolishly thinking of going ahead with that marriage. Its not worth it. The uncertainties and risks are just too many. Let it go abeg.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Sickle Cell Day by brunofarad(m): 9:32am On Jun 19, 2017
That poem is heart touching

Nice one,if you don't have a sickler ,you won't understand

1 Like

Re: World Sickle Cell Day by Oyindidi(f): 9:33am On Jun 19, 2017
OK
Re: World Sickle Cell Day by iykebest1(m): 9:34am On Jun 19, 2017
Buhari get well soon
Re: World Sickle Cell Day by NairalandCS(m): 9:34am On Jun 19, 2017
SS bad gan, wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: World Sickle Cell Day by exlinklodge: 9:34am On Jun 19, 2017
ok

But shouldn't Buhari be more interested in this than me?
Re: World Sickle Cell Day by Leem4: 9:35am On Jun 19, 2017
Re: World Sickle Cell Day by yaqq: 9:37am On Jun 19, 2017
No matter the luv! AS+AS should please abort mission! don't breed what will make you bleed
Re: World Sickle Cell Day by Nobody: 9:39am On Jun 19, 2017
sickle cell has always been killers of innocent kids.
Re: World Sickle Cell Day by Nobody: 9:39am On Jun 19, 2017
This is 2017 and many intending couples still do not know their Genotype and blood group. You guys should create awareness, let people know they can prevent this before having children.

1 Like

Re: World Sickle Cell Day by Leem4: 9:39am On Jun 19, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Advice to Sicklers
Live a peace with your neighbors, don't stress your heart, cut down your sex drive, don't marry because you will break your partner's heart eventually.
don't marry??

Everyone must surely die, something must kill a man. So don't say we shouldn't marry. We have old sicklers

5 Likes

Re: World Sickle Cell Day by Leem4: 9:39am On Jun 19, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Advice to Sicklers
don't marry??

Everyone must surely die, something must kill a man. So don't say we shouldn't marry. We have old sicklers ,

We will continue fighting till we conquer.

1 Like

Re: World Sickle Cell Day by 0b100100111: 9:40am On Jun 19, 2017
HolyCraig:
My 'sickler' freind was not lucky, she died during child birth over the weekend. May her soul rest in peace.

cry

Amen!

1 Like

Re: World Sickle Cell Day by Vindica: 9:43am On Jun 19, 2017
Know Your Genotype

Don't risk marriage because of love....,you will greatly suffer for it

Sleepless nights, unending and hot tears, hospital bills etc.

It doesn't worth it........KNOW YOUR GENOTYPE......the pain is real!!!!!!!!l!
Re: World Sickle Cell Day by sweetrie(f): 9:44am On Jun 19, 2017
HolyCraig:
Sorry for your loss. But it's not a matter of luck, but rather a matter of good quality health management. If she wasn't able to continue with virginal delivery, she should have opted for CS. May her soul rest in peace.

5 Likes

Re: World Sickle Cell Day by Mhissgaga(f): 9:45am On Jun 19, 2017
God will help us

1 Like 1 Share

Re: World Sickle Cell Day by Amgreat70(m): 9:48am On Jun 19, 2017
All I can say is
My GOD LIVES
Re: World Sickle Cell Day by Jaydenphoenix: 9:57am On Jun 19, 2017
I am a sickle cell survivor..@ 33. I lost a brother to the menace also

Unfortunately, I have a 2yr old nephew with the condition because his parents were stupidly in love. I feel for him

I am hoping to live longer smiley and probably find someone that wants to marry a sickler

10 Likes

Re: World Sickle Cell Day by Nobody: 9:58am On Jun 19, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Advice to Sicklers
Is your head paining you??

3 Likes

Re: World Sickle Cell Day by Cassie75: 10:02am On Jun 19, 2017
I think there's an option now if your hell bent on marrying.....IVF.....tested and trusted smiley
Re: World Sickle Cell Day by LexngtonSteele: 10:08am On Jun 19, 2017
PLEASE try to marry someone with an AA genotype... though, let's be blunt, the AA person too might not want to be saddled with an SS.

Had a friend, son of a senator who was SS. We stayed on campus together. He would at times use 21 capsules in a single day.

The whole bed and bedsheets would smell of drugs.... I really feel for sicklers.

I pray one day, a true cure is found not all these CICKLAVIT
Re: World Sickle Cell Day by teamsynergy: 10:10am On Jun 19, 2017
the govt shud make it compulsory for every intending couple to do blood test, and if anyone is caught going against it, they should be jailed...

I still have this mumu friend who is an AS and still wanna marry an AS cos they been together for too long. I hope she can bear the stress and the avoidable pains (for the unborn ss).. I served in an area where one deeprlife woman had 2 ss galz.. they are both using some clamp and support to work and always very sick. the woman is usually very stressed out and frustrated ...it brings tears to my eyes when even medical practitioners still choose to marry an as when the y are as. religion and ignorance are very similar ...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: World Sickle Cell Day by fam24(f): 10:12am On Jun 19, 2017
THEMES OF WORLD SICKLE CELL DAY The past Themes of World Sickle Cell Day are listed below 2008: Recognition of sickle-cell anemia as a public health problem. 2009: The Burden of Sickle Cell Disease – a Public Health Approach. 2010: Awareness, Education, and Hope. 2011: Educate and Unite. 2012: Keeping Hope Alive. 2013: Know your sickle cell status. 2014: Break the Silence on Sickle Cell Disorder. 2015: Stop your Silence and Share your Truth. 2016: Exhibit courage and address ineffective areas of support. 2017: Have we lived up to these themes? # WorldSickleCellAwarenessDay # June 19
Re: World Sickle Cell Day by fam24(f): 10:13am On Jun 19, 2017
HISTORY OF WORLD SICKLE CELL DAY In 2008, the United Nations General Assembly created the World Sickle Cell Day to raise the awareness among the peoples about the sickle cell disease and its treatment methods. On 19th June of 2009, the World Sickle Cell Day was first observed. According to the reports, in Africa, nearly 1000 babies are taking birth on every day having Sickle Cell Disease and getting die up to five years of age. In the United States of America, nearly 100,000 peoples get affected with this disease. People in other countries like India, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Arabic peninsula, Brazil, Surinam, Guiana, Southern Italy, Greece, etc., are also get affected with this disease. Hence it is big public health issue which is must to take under control to save our whole nation’s future. Hence World Sickle Cell Day is a perfect day to raise the public awareness about this fatal disease to get sufficient control over the situation. # WORLDSICKLECELLAWARENESSDAY # JUNE19
Re: World Sickle Cell Day by hellohgy(m): 10:14am On Jun 19, 2017
like ......If u what to know the molecular basis of the causes of sickle cell
Waiting

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pains On Teeth After Eating Meat / COVID-19 Update For June 21 2021 In Nigeria / Irregular Period

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.