Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,517 members, 7,819,862 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:00 AM

Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens (46026 Views)

Naira Appreciates To N435/$, As CBN Injects $180m. / Naira Appreciates To N455/$ As External Reserves Hit $30bn / Naira Finally Improves At The Interbank Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by tbaba1234: 12:14pm On Jun 20, 2016
ifyalways:

Which bank(s) ?

I called gtb again just now and its still 340.

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/USDNGN:CUR

That is what $ is trading at, right now... The difference will be narrower in the next few days as liquidity improves and the market stabilizes

3 Likes

Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by crazymommy(f): 12:14pm On Jun 20, 2016
bebe2:

Pls , it's not over yet.

Pple will panic buy and panic sell, then rate will start to rise again because there is no enuf fx to satisfy all the want.
The market is now a single market based on supply and demand,so the market will be rising and falling ....unlike before that cbn fixed the rate...making the demand higher but very less supply....now inbound transfer will increase,higher cash flow,low spreads,round tripping will be reduced massively....

5 Likes

Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by tbaba1234: 12:15pm On Jun 20, 2016
ifyalways:

Then stop typing it here!

I had to quickly log in to NLD cos of this obvious fake news.
Seun
Lalasticlala
Dominique

Take down this fake thread abeg. Until its sold for 257, lets stop misinforming people.

It is not fake that is what Naira is trading for....

1 Like

Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by AtlanticBreeze: 12:16pm On Jun 20, 2016
tbaba1234:

You are dumb, mate..

Now who is dumb.. Apologize for misleading the people.. cc lalasticlala

The currency of Africa’s biggest economy fell 24 percent to a record 260.5 versus the dollar, from Friday’s rate of 199, before paring the decline to trade 23 percent weaker at 257.75 by 11:28 a.m. in Lagos, the commercial capital.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-20/emerging-market-assets-rally-as-remain-gathers-momentum-in-u-k
Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by conyema12(m): 12:16pm On Jun 20, 2016
All these are Economic jargons to deceive us.
Aboki still dey sell dollar 330

Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by ifyalways(f): 12:16pm On Jun 20, 2016
Optionalx:
Let's wait for a while appreciate the benefits or otherwise of this new policy b4 we start hailing. Na so people hail China parole finish it turned out to be the more look d less u see

My brother. See people rejoicing and typing 257 everywhere when its NOT obtainable on ground. Is this not propaganda ?

I saw this thread and was confused because I had earlier wanted to make an online payment in usd, called three banks namely :Stanbic, GTB and Access and the cheapest rate was 340.

Fake thread.

3 Likes

Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by bayulll011(m): 12:17pm On Jun 20, 2016
PassingShot:

value?

oh my God what always pains me most is people answeing some olodos here on NL allow the guy to langiuse in his stupidityyyy I beg of u
Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by tbaba1234: 12:17pm On Jun 20, 2016
AtlanticBreeze:

Now who is dumb.. Apologize for misleading the people.. cc lalasticlala

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-20/emerging-market-assets-rally-as-remain-gathers-momentum-in-u-k

You know absolutely nothing about this stuff and keep commenting..

4 Likes

Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by jibga(m): 12:18pm On Jun 20, 2016
PassingShot:

The good quality of our president is he accepts sound advice/argument provided you're able to convince him.

He said he was not convinced that devaluing the Naira was best for Nigeria and he has been proved right.

Imagine what would have happened to our economy if he had devalued the Naira to say N250 to a dollar. I am sure it will have shot up to N500 at the black market.

But his refusal to do that, plus non-working of the two parallel rates (official and black market), have made Emefiele and his team to put on their thinking cap to find an acceptable solution to the problem.

Salute to PMB once more.
you said it all

3 Likes

Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by ifyalways(f): 12:18pm On Jun 20, 2016
conyema12:
All these are Economic jargons to deceive us.
Aboki still dey sell dollar 330
Not just a.boki even banks oo.

How this FAKE thread got to the frontpage beats me. GTB actually sold 330 on friday and this morning its 340 YET nld and its moderators are mis-informing people .
Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by AtlanticBreeze: 12:19pm On Jun 20, 2016
tbaba1234:

You know absolutely nothing about this stuff and keep commenting..
You are fraud.. Hide your face in shame...
Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by berrystunn(m): 12:19pm On Jun 20, 2016
greatiyk4u:
We are gradually approaching the end of the tunnel, a reason we are seeing light small small

They should take us back to where they pick us from....,
Nonsense.
Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by AtlanticBreeze: 12:20pm On Jun 20, 2016
ifyalways:

Not just a.boki even banks oo.

How this FAKE thread got to the frontpage beats me. GTB actually sold 330 on friday and this morning its 340 YET nld and its moderators are mis-informing people .

Lalasticlala will be quick to send fake news to FP while ignoring my threads.. Nairaland is now a forum of misinformation.. cc seun

1 Like

Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jun 20, 2016
Too many dumb fellow here on NL.

Tbaba you dont have to answer every dog that barks at you.

1 Like

Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by tbaba1234: 12:21pm On Jun 20, 2016

3 Likes

Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by crazymommy(f): 12:21pm On Jun 20, 2016
ifyalways:

Then stop typing it here!

I had to quickly log in to NLD cos of this obvious fake news.
Seun
Lalasticlala
Dominique

Take down this fake thread abeg. Until its sold for 257, lets stop misinforming people.

5 Likes

Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by teemy(m): 12:21pm On Jun 20, 2016
tbaba1234:
Nigeria's naira was quoted at 253 against the U.S. dollar as a new interbank market opened on Monday but no trades were yet to be agreed, dealers said.

Nigeria's central bank said last week it would scrap its fixed exchange system which has seen the currency pegged at 197 to the U.S. dollar for the past 16 months. (Reporting by Chijioke Ohuocha; Writing by Joe Brock; Editing by Andrew Heavens)

http://www.reuters.com/article/nigeria-currency-quote-idUSL8N19C13U?feedType=RSS&feedName=usDollarRpt
Important to note is that the listed amount of N253/$ is the opening price for the day. Within hours or even minutes that amount would find its level. Wait till day's end to gauge a more accuarate range.
Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by idupaul: 12:22pm On Jun 20, 2016
PassingShot:
Happy days are ahead of us.

With the news, the worst of our economic woes are behind us.

Kudos to the government for floating the Naira rather than devaluing it. A first in the history of Nigeria.

*Modified*

Some ignorant mourning wailers are saying floating the naira is same as devaluing it. Hell NO!

If you devalue the Naira, you fix an official exchange rate to it. E.g N250 to a dollar. With that approach, the black market rate will jump to beyond N400 to a dollar.

But with floating, many traders with high volume of dollars come in and trade dollars based on demand. In this approach, there is no official dollar rate set by the government. The rate is purely determined by how much dollars are demanded and how much dollars are available. This way, the Naira finds its true value.

Utter gibberish. .this type of gibberish is getting to common in Nigeria . Call it want you want but any economist worth his salt knows the naira has been deregulated meaning for a country that imports more than it exports it value will drop meaning the naira is devalued at the inter bank state..

1 Like

Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by Businessideas: 12:22pm On Jun 20, 2016
Baylam:
Dude you're sick, The bolded got me trolling.hahahhhaha grin grin grin
Abi na grin
Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by idupaul: 12:23pm On Jun 20, 2016
tbaba1234:

That is what $ is trading at, right now... The difference will be narrower in the next few days as liquidity improves and the market stabilizes

Please keep deceiving yourself
Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by ifyalways(f): 12:23pm On Jun 20, 2016
tbaba1234:

It is not fake that is what Naira is trading for....
Trading where ?

Simple question:
Which bank(s) is selling usd for 257 or even 300 today ?

2 Likes

Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by tbaba1234: 12:26pm On Jun 20, 2016
ifyalways:

Trading where ?

Simple question:
Which bank(s) is selling usd for 257 or even 300 today ?

On the interbank market...

Once there is stability, it will not be much different from how much you buy? Read the title of the thread...

7 Likes

Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by deflover(m): 12:26pm On Jun 20, 2016
wayodude:

What did your PhD friend suggest as a superior alternative?
the guy wants us to pray I laughed so hard that tears came out
I couldn't believe there are zombies with PhD
Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by chucksbadt(m): 12:26pm On Jun 20, 2016
PassingShot:
Happy days are ahead of us.

With the news, the worst of our economic woes are behind us.

Kudos to the government for floating the Naira rather than devaluing it. A first in the history of Nigeria.

*Modified*

Some ignorant mourning wailers are saying floating the naira is same as devaluing it. Hell NO!

If you devalue the Naira, you fix an official exchange rate to it. E.g N250 to a dollar. With that approach, the black market rate will jump to beyond N400 to a dollar.

But with floating, many traders with high volume of dollars come in and trade dollars based on demand. In this approach, there is no official dollar rate set by the government. The rate is purely determined by how much dollars are demanded and how much dollars are available. This way, the Naira finds its true value.

Was Pounds Affected by this
New Policy?........Because all what's being talked about
now is the Dollar!
Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by tbaba1234: 12:26pm On Jun 20, 2016
catlova2:
Too many dumb fellow here on NL.

Tbaba you dont have to answer every dog that barks at you.

Thanks..
Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by ifyalways(f): 12:28pm On Jun 20, 2016
tbaba1234:

On the interbank market...

Once there is stability, it will not be much different from how much you buy? Read the title of the thread...
OK.
Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by uncleu(m): 12:32pm On Jun 20, 2016
I think the problem is that a lot of people are so ignorant of how these things work. The amount quoted are not fake. Look at how it works. The banks are bidding on behalf of customers who have already fulfilled certain requirements. This include filling proforma involve and all the rest. The need for the foreign currency must also be for items included in the foreign exchange regimen. Since you haven't gone through that process, the banks are giving you black market rates.
My problem is with the disparity between this rate and the black market rate. We know our immediate problem started with the exclusion of those 14 items from the foreign exchange regimen. They still haven't been included. They still will put undue pressure on the black narket.
ifyalways:

My brother. See people rejoicing and typing 257 everywhere when its NOT obtainable on ground. Is this not propaganda ?

I saw this thread and was confused because I had earlier wanted to make an online payment in usd, called three banks namely :Stanbic, GTB and Access and the cheapest rate was 340.

Fake thread.
Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by deflover(m): 12:32pm On Jun 20, 2016
tbaba1234:

It would stabilize around 250-280, maybe even 300. no way it will rise up to 600... That's just dreams.

let me school you a bit in trading....with the interbank rate at 250 it means the market opened at a gap of 70bp....meaning a spread that huge can signal more bull for the dollar.
now it also means the long standing fixed resistance of 197 has been broken

now market forces will take it higher as the price of crude and other commodities force it on its knees
I am only being nice with 600naira trust me it can go worse..
Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by crazymommy(f): 12:35pm On Jun 20, 2016
uncleu:
I think the problem is that a lot of people are so ignorant of how these things work. The amount quoted are not fake. Look at how it works. The banks are bidding on behalf of customers who have already fulfilled certain requirements. This include filling proforma involve and all the rest. The need for the foreign currency must also be for items included in the foreign exchange regimen. Since you haven't gone through that process, the banks are giving you black market rates.
My problem is with the disparity between this rate and the black market rate. We know our immediate problem started with the exclusion of those 14 items from the foreign exchange regimen. They still haven't been included. They still will put undue pressure on the black narket.
You even get time to answer that one that is jumping into conclusions...
Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by Ufeolorun(m): 12:35pm On Jun 20, 2016
Theres no point kicking off over semantics,really. devaluation or a float, the end game is to ensure the naira is trading at fair value and I believe it's premature for anyone to take whats happening today too seriously - give it a week.And if you need Fx-data for planning reasons, check what the forward rate market quotes

2 Likes

Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by Bollinger(m): 12:35pm On Jun 20, 2016
neocortex:

Aboki currently sells for 340.

Then that is the price you all should be concerned about.
Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by ErasmusCOMP: 12:35pm On Jun 20, 2016
shyling:

Must you? I expect youths like you to posses critical reasoning skills and not just screaming in support of politicians without having an inkling of what is being discussed...
That's why I sometimes don't get angry with wailers when they call some of them zombies. Tomorrow, we may end up with fx of N460/$ and you won't see them here again praising the president.
Why can't these paid ethnic/religious fanatical zombies allow naira/dollar fx to stabilize before shouting their usual sai baba praise?
May God guild president Buhari in the right path.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business / Innoson Vs Gtbank: 30 Key Points To Know About Their Dispute / Beatrice Nkechi Ejere's Burial: Cubana Hotel Manager Buries Mother In Style

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.