Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,670 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:49 PM

How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business (45966 Views)

Why Cereal Maker Kellogg Plans To Invest $420m In Nigeria / Cecilia Ibru Pictured At Techpoint Inspired Event In Lagos / See The Torn N1000 Note I Got From An ATM (2) (3) (4)

How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by investigator007: 12:27pm On Apr 16, 2016
I have been seeing on Nairaland how people start up their own fish farming or snail farming to inspire others.

So here is mine

It`s no longer news that we have been encouraged to diversify and look away from oil, and with the scarcity of jobs and even the way those who have a job are being laid off, I decided to give myself and others job. What did I eventually come up with? A breakfast cereal used for making porridge (pap or ogi or akamu)

I'm going to explain how I started mine.

First I learnt how to make the cereal (composition And the process). Then I proceeded to go into the different markets to purchase the different cereals.

unlike the normal cereal we have in the market (I won't call names) that is made up of only maize or some who are kind enough would add soya to the maize and sometimes sugar.

this cereal is made up of highly nutritious components and is rich in iron and fiber contents. Namely:

wheat, millet, Groundnut, Fonio, Tiger nut, E.coracana (Finger millet), Guinea corn, Special white rice & ginger etc.

It is very good for everyone from babies, to children to adults even up to the elderly.

instead of buying pap in the market that has been open and house flies most times perching on it and doing parade, I decided to bring something that is very hygienic and well covered.

It is good for everyone.

I am not saying it cures diabetes or arthritis or ulcer patients, (cause it has not been proven to do that) but it is very good for people suffering from arthritis, ulcer, HBP etc especially when you take the cereal while taking your drugs as prescribed.

it also helps to burn fat and also add weight..

Contradicting right?? Nah!!!!

What I mean is it helps to burn fat for those who are overweight and adds body weight to those who are underweight... Strange but true.

For children and babies, they'll love it very well cos the taste and aroma is second to none.

And for those who need fresh skin? Hmmmm!!! You need to take a look at my skin to confirm it. Those who have met me in person can attest to that

Follow me as I show the process how I packaged it and how to prepare it.

Find below pics of the various components.

Millet
Guinea corn
Tiger nut
Ginger

20 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by investigator007: 12:28pm On Apr 16, 2016
For how to prepare it and subsequently how to make different fruit purees, visit the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/RiettFood

Or call me on 08035138401

Modified (For those asking how to prepare it):

HOW TO PREPARE
1. Dissolve RIETT BREAKFAST CEREAL in cold water to form a thick paste

2. Pour little quantity of boiling water and stir briskly.

3. Send back to fire and let it boil until desired thickness or cooking is achieved. (also stir while it boils)

4. Transfer cooked meal to a dish.

5. Add sugar and milk or any fruit puree to taste.

Fonio
Groundnut
Wheat

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by investigator007: 12:29pm On Apr 16, 2016
So let me explain how I packaged it.

I went to the market to buy the cereals, then washed then properly cos of dust, dirt and stones.

Then proceeded to dry them

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by investigator007: 12:31pm On Apr 16, 2016
Next is to go for grinding and processing it.

After that its time for sieving as in pix 1

Then I got a sealing machine pix 2 which I used in sealing the product pix3.

However I was not satisfied with the packaging as it wasn't very presentable. Cos Nafdac would need something better before they give approval.

So I decided to go for a better packaging pix 4

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by Acidosis(m): 12:32pm On Apr 16, 2016
oga where did you get these photos?

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by investigator007: 12:33pm On Apr 16, 2016
wasn't still satisfied with it the way it was so I got the help of a good graphics designer and printer who could help me design and print a label.
I wasn't really expecting much from him cos his price was cheaper than others I contacted. But I was wrong

We negotiated and settled for a price.

In no time he delivered it beyond my expectations pix 1 & 2

Then I filled the plastic containers, weighed them to be sure they were accurate then I sealed them to be sure they won't be tampered with. pix 3&4

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by investigator007: 12:33pm On Apr 16, 2016
Acidosis:
oga where did you get these photos?

I`m explaining. My main photos are coming.

Last Pix is prepared one without milk

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by Acidosis(m): 12:35pm On Apr 16, 2016
investigator007:

I`m explaining. My main photos are coming
Oh okay
*following*
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by Nobody: 1:22pm On Apr 16, 2016
investigator007:

if nafdac catch you!
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by investigator007: 1:30pm On Apr 16, 2016
omoteamac:
if nafdac catch you!

Thanks for your concern. I'm already working on the Nafdac number

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by Nobody: 1:34pm On Apr 16, 2016
investigator007:

Thanks for your concern. I'm already working on the Nafdac number
you should have finished work on it before coming up with the topic... Those their official fit use you chop with this kind of post
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by Pavore9: 2:02pm On Apr 16, 2016
investigator007:

I can relate to your product because it is very common in stores here in Kenya. It is locally called uji porridge. It is different mix but l have a preference for Farm Uji Wimbi which is mix of Finger millet, Sorghum, Soyabeans and groundnut. There are those with rice, sweet potatoes, wheat, banana, barley in their mix.

A kilo pack of it sells for 80ksh-100ksh (N160-N200 CBN rate). Kenyans prepares it as thus: water is boiled in a pot while a paste is made mixing the combined flour with lukewarm water, then add the paste to the boiling water and keep stirring till it thickens and brown. It is cooked for 10mins under moderate heat until thickens, then add water to lighten it and leave to boil for an extra minute but since l have the intention of it coming out as pap, l don't add water, it end ups like pap for me but Kenyans make theirs light and some do squeeze lemon into theirs and served in mugs with sugar provided.

My own ends up thick and brown as if l added Bournvita or Milo cheesy, I then add sugar and fresh milk and eat it with beans or fried sweet potatoes.

A kilo stays in my kitchen for months because of its long shelf life and I make about 12 "pap" servings from one kilo. I have thought of this as an enterprise that can be introduce into the Nigerian market as this is very hygienic and "pap" only when you want.

Pictures (not mine) of how it turns out.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by Nobody: 3:13pm On Apr 16, 2016
investigator007:

Nice one. I like your packaging and the label too. More grease to your venture. A word of advice though; do register your brand with CAC and nafdac to avoid stories that touch. And don't forget to update us on the progress.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by Ginaz(f): 3:15pm On Apr 16, 2016
wow keep it up and may this business prosper in jesus name

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by bughead: 3:15pm On Apr 16, 2016
investigator007:

you put sugar?
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by coaco(m): 3:16pm On Apr 16, 2016
I love u 4 dat.
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by miqos02(m): 3:16pm On Apr 16, 2016
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by baby124: 3:17pm On Apr 16, 2016
Make sure you put the ingredients on the package as some people have deadly allergies to wheat and groundnut

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by amtaken(f): 3:17pm On Apr 16, 2016
I love this. Keep it up.

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by Akosxxx(m): 3:20pm On Apr 16, 2016
Wow.. This is beautiful !
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by itstpia8: 3:20pm On Apr 16, 2016
Nice, but is it cereal though?

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by ZinoFego: 3:21pm On Apr 16, 2016
Congrats!!!

investigator007:

Wheat
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by Bugatie(m): 3:24pm On Apr 16, 2016
investigator007:

Great work,

Well done

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by Pavore9: 3:25pm On Apr 16, 2016
Also look into Amaranth.

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by Ad0rable: 3:26pm On Apr 16, 2016
Kudos !!! But y not wait for the Op to finish before some unnecessary comments? Smh for some people

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by adedam007(m): 3:27pm On Apr 16, 2016
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by SKIPCY(m): 3:27pm On Apr 16, 2016
dont be discouraged. mega brands of today started small like u doing now. God bless ur hussle.

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by Helena6(f): 3:28pm On Apr 16, 2016
Well done OP. You should consider having 2 types of packaging - the nylon/satchet/pillow pack (depending on the word you are familiar with) and then the PET cup. The satchet will be more affordable and can drive penetration for you. Whereas, the PET can drive revenue but not volume for you.
My first instinct is that you may not be targeting same market segment as NESTLÉ. Focus on the low end market, your margin may be low but volume will be high.
In my opinion, you should consider changing your label soon,the colours are dull and this brand will/may be lost in the market (the clutter in our markets is increasing)

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by ikanason(m): 3:28pm On Apr 16, 2016
loving this.....
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by aieromon(m): 3:29pm On Apr 16, 2016
More power to your hustle. Think outside the box and you will rise up higher than your expectations.
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by sukkot: 3:36pm On Apr 16, 2016
bros na you be the real MVP

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by Mintayo(m): 3:44pm On Apr 16, 2016
Good job op.

Usman Dantata And Rukky Indimi At Fatima Dangote's Lagos Wedding / Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens / Buy Instagram Followers In Nigeria - Bugva.com