Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,615 members, 7,809,257 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:53 AM

Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! - Adverts (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Adverts / Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! (15941 Views)

Get Uninterrupted power supply this festive season, 5% discount. / Want To Sell Your Used Inverter batteries/UPS Batteries? / Discover How To Generate 6 To 7 Figure Income From Rental Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by CharlesPhc: 4:16pm On Jun 20, 2016
redcap:
Insightful write-up, I can't find where you connected the cooling fan on ur diagram. Pls clarify. I really want to try this ASAP. THX

The space that would be created after you remove the 7Ah battery inside the UPS, position a cooling fan there.

Why you need a cooling fan.
Because a UPS was not made to run for a long time without AC power, the transformer may get hot so you need the fan to keep it running under normal temperature
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by redcap: 4:21pm On Jun 20, 2016
CharlesPhc:

The space that would be created after you remove the 7Ah battery inside the UPS, position a cooling fan there.

Why you need a cooling fan.
Because a UPS was not made to run for a long time with power, the transformer may get hot so you need the fan to keep it running under normal temperature

Thx but where should I connect the fan wires, should it be linked to the bath. terminal. Can u plz sketch a circuit diagram /schematics displaying connection of all components. Thx again.
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by CharlesPhc: 4:24pm On Jun 20, 2016
Dymaco:

send me the picture of thé complète set up.
that is the external charger, battery and ups connected together so as to enable me construct mine

and how long will it take to charge the battery 100%

I just opened up a unit in my study to show you a sample of the setup. Don't mind the wires, had to pieces the UPS for you to see the fan inside.

Pics uploading soon...!!!!

1 Like

Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by Dymaco(m): 4:26pm On Jun 20, 2016
CharlesPhc:

I just opened up a unit in my study to show you a sample of the setup. Don't mind the wires, had to pieces the UPS for you to see the fan inside.

Pics uploading soon...!!!!
OK waiting
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by CharlesPhc: 4:39pm On Jun 20, 2016
Like i said, don't mind the wires, it was tired neatly but had to untie to show you. had to open the 650VA UPS also to show the fan inside. Meanwhile this was the working unit when i was just building the device like 3 years ago but still working till date. The main ones are at home and in the office.

You would notice i used a motherboard processor cooling fan back then cos everything was built form my workshop as a 'Computer Engineer' back then.

Notice my Cat5 Cables as well as the cable from UPS to battery terminals
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by happen2: 4:51pm On Jun 20, 2016
Can it be used to power freezers or fridge. Please I don't see any fan in the picture, pardon me please.
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by Monsieurshow(m): 4:55pm On Jun 20, 2016
I love this! Very interesting
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by CharlesPhc: 4:57pm On Jun 20, 2016
happen2:
Can it be used to power freezers or fridge. Please I don't see any fan in the picture, pardon me please.

Haven't tried it with a fridge or freezer. Only TVs, PC's, Fans light bulbs, home Theater etc

Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by happen2: 4:59pm On Jun 20, 2016
Thanks
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by viyon02: 5:04pm On Jun 20, 2016
Just like what i do say: in any bad situation there is also good side of it, the shortage of electric current is really making us to crack our brains: good job o.p.
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by jellyfish86: 5:20pm On Jun 20, 2016
CharlesPhc:

I can show you what to do online. Its very simple and easy to setup...!!

Ok, i will share a number to call just a moment...!!!
OK no problem, but a pics or a YouTube video will help too with construction. Thsnkx
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by CharlesPhc: 5:21pm On Jun 20, 2016
Here's my contact 08059985262
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by CharlesPhc: 5:22pm On Jun 20, 2016
JAMESM1:
pls drop your number so i can reach you

Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by JayJustus(m): 5:23pm On Jun 20, 2016
CharlesPhc:
Things you would need:
1. An old but working UPS (650VA or 1200VA) - Free from any computer shop or technician
2. A Deep Cycle Battery from 38AH (Keke Nape Battery N9,000) to 100AH (Truck Battery N20k)
3. A battery Charger N6,000
4. System Fan for cooling of Unit N200

Total N15,200 or N26,200

That is all you need...!!!

give me your contact bro...wanna speak with you
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by CharlesPhc: 5:27pm On Jun 20, 2016
JayJustus:

give me your contact bro...wanna speak with you

Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by guy1234: 6:02pm On Jun 20, 2016
I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it a d.c fan or a.c ?

2. Car batteries are starting batteries not deep cycle ? How long will car batteries last in this setup.
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by richyfunky(m): 6:32pm On Jun 20, 2016
CharlesPhc:
Connect the Battery Cables from UPS to Battery Terminals (Red to +ve and black to -ve).
Connect External Battery Charger to Battery Terminals same (Red to +ve and Black to -ve) When the battery charger is powered on, it would charge your battery.
Connect a Power extension socket from your UPS outlet (the back of your UPS) to your TV, Radio, Computer etc.

Or contact an electrician to locate your ceiling fan, power socket and bulb lines from your building distribution box and connect directly to the UPS
op, pls I reside in lagos. If U can make a simple video of d whole process, or give me ur email or gsm.
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by CharlesPhc: 6:34pm On Jun 20, 2016
guy1234:
I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it a d.c fan or a.c ?

2. Car batteries are starting batteries not deep cycle ? How long will car batteries last in this setup.

The fan is connected to the battery with a switch. The cooling unit is required when the AC current is out.
Car batteries have been tested with this and it worked perfectly. on my initial setup, i used a 38Ah (batteries found in keke tricycle) and it worked.
But deep cycle batteries are preferable
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by investnotspend: 6:36pm On Jun 20, 2016
Nice one OP great job and thanks for solving peoples problem I just got your contact ,do you do WhatsApp on this number so we can communicate with ease ?
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by CharlesPhc: 6:38pm On Jun 20, 2016
investnotspend:
Nice one OP great job and thanks for solving peoples problem I just got your contact ,do you do WhatsApp on this number so we can communicate with ease ?

Don't do whatsapp on this contact.
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by redcap: 6:38pm On Jun 20, 2016
OP, if you really want to help make a short how-to video on,we can even pay some token of appreciation.
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by CharlesPhc: 6:43pm On Jun 20, 2016
redcap:
OP, if you really want to help make a short how-to video on,we can even pay some token of appreciation.

Funny enough there are lots of video on youtube for this. I just checked it out and was surprised alot of guys outside this country have been using this.

Check these ones out..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX1OQZ1B6m0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJzv5USS8Yw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE1Hr-2IAT0

1 Like

Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by redcap: 6:58pm On Jun 20, 2016
A million thx will look it up now.
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by guy1234: 7:08pm On Jun 20, 2016
CharlesPhc:

The fan is connected to the battery with a switch. The cooling unit is required when the AC current is out.
Car batteries have been tested with this and it worked perfectly. on my initial setup, i used a 38Ah (batteries found in keke tricycle) and it worked.
But deep cycle batteries are preferable

How long was the lifetime of the car battery or the keke battery ?
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by carblognaija: 7:12pm On Jun 20, 2016
I have a similar setup I have been using for close to 2 years now. Can someone pls point me how to upload pics here so I can share my setup.
OP, I stay in PH too. I'll like to know more about the webcam setup. How can we connect?
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by dayjee: 7:13pm On Jun 20, 2016
Wow...Thanks for the info @OP
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by IRAPADA(m): 7:23pm On Jun 20, 2016
how many hours will the keke or 100a battery last if I use it to power decoder and 32" lcd tv
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by IRAPADA(m): 7:25pm On Jun 20, 2016
how many hours will the keke or 100a battery last if I use it to power decoder and 32" lcd tv,are you sure of those prices of the battery u quoted
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by CharlesPhc: 7:25pm On Jun 20, 2016
carblognaija:
I have a similar setup I have been using for close to 2 years now. Can someone pls point me how to upload pics here so I can share my setup.
OP, I stay in PH too. I'll like to know more about the webcam setup. How can we connect?

Call me on my contact. The web cam is also a very interesting security survellance system. Sure you will like it
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by phoenixy(m): 7:28pm On Jun 20, 2016
Thanks for this wonderful piece op, you didn't mention how to stop the beeping sound on the UPS when using the batteries.

Secondly, how is it possible for the electronics circuit in the UPS to handle so much loads e.g fridge and TVs, when it is designed to be used for low power consuming electronics?

Pls kindly revert.
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by CharlesPhc: 7:36pm On Jun 20, 2016
phoenixy:
Thanks for this wonderful piece op, you didn't mention how to stop the beeping sound on the UPS when using the batteries.

Secondly, how is it possible for the electronics circuit in the UPS to handle so much loads e.g fridge and TVs, when it is designed to be used for low power consuming electronics?

Pls kindly revert.

Very good observation on the beeping sound. I pulled mine off completely so i dont hear the sound of the ups beeping.

I didnt mention fridge as part the appliances to connect

Then i also mentioned a 1200VA ups for connecting more devices
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by phoenixy(m): 7:51pm On Jun 20, 2016
CharlesPhc:

Very good observation on the beeping sound. I pulled mine off completely so i dont hear the sound of the ups beeping.

I didnt mention fridge as part the appliances to connect

Then i also mentioned a 1200VA ups for connecting more devices

Great!!! Thanks a lot for this piece, waiting for the follow up thread on the webcam DIY series, I will give you a call when I get back to PH, currently out of town.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sell&buy Your Itunes, Amazon, Walmart And Visa Gift Card. / Personalized Magic Mugs Supply In Nigeria / Get Grammarly Premium At Giveaway Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.