Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,723 members, 7,824,053 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:22 PM

Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! - Adverts (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Adverts / Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! (16004 Views)

Get Uninterrupted power supply this festive season, 5% discount. / Want To Sell Your Used Inverter batteries/UPS Batteries? / Discover How To Generate 6 To 7 Figure Income From Rental Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by Caveatemptor(m): 7:52pm On Jun 20, 2016
Interesting and educative thread.
Thank you OP.
Should this kind of thread not be featured on the front page. Lovely innovation.

1 Like

Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by Airborne02(m): 7:54pm On Jun 20, 2016
CharlesPhc:

Port Harcourt Sir
op pls i will like gt d ba3 charger my inverter not charging well.. Were in ph i am also in ph
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by phoenixy(m): 7:55pm On Jun 20, 2016
[quote author=CharlesPhc post=46759907]

Very good observation on the beeping sound. I pulled mine off completely so i dont hear the sound of the ups beeping.

I didnt mention fridge as part the appliances to connect

Then i also mentioned a 1200VA ups for connecting more devices

Great!!! Thanks a lot for this piece, waiting for the follow up thread on the webcam DIY series, I will give you a call when I get back to PH, currently out of town.
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by CharlesPhc: 9:01pm On Jun 20, 2016
Watch out for the next topic

'Security Concern, How to Convert an Old Web Cam and PC into a powerful CCTV that can record and play back feeds.

You can monitor movements in and around your home or office in real time.

One good thing about the Web Cam is that it's not easily noticed (hidden). Intruders may not notice you are watching their movements until they are caught or you call the Police. If the intruder denies, you can replay the video clip as proof.
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by hahn(m): 9:15pm On Jun 20, 2016
CharlesPhc:

Thanks for the compliments first of all....!!!

You are right. My neighbors use to think I had a 'Powerful Inverter' and always come to charge phones, Ipads and laptops until i told few of them the secret and even showed some doubting Thomas.

I had to install for them too

Those PHED guys use to also think my prepaid metre was either faulty or I did a bypass until I had to explain my secret.

Bro, abeg next time mention me on threads like this. This is beautiful. Not only do I have a perfect way of generating electricity for myself but I can also install for people and make some extra cash. grin

Can we chat on whatsapp? +234-8092960741

1 Like

Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by hahn(m): 9:26pm On Jun 20, 2016
CharlesPhc:
Here's my contact 08059985262

Whatsapp?
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by CharlesPhc: 9:47pm On Jun 20, 2016
hahn:

Whatsapp?

Not on this line. I have a personal line which i also chat via whatsapp. i do not wish to display it here for now. Meanwhile, if we talk on this line as alot of people have already called, i could send the other contact privately.
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by hahn(m): 9:51pm On Jun 20, 2016
CharlesPhc:

Not on this line. I have a personal line which i also chat via whatsapp. i do not wish to display it here for now. Meanwhile, if we talk on this line as alot of people have already called, i could send the other contact privately.

You can send me a whatsapp message on +234-8092960741
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by Freegift75: 12:48am On Jun 21, 2016
Necessity is the mother of invention
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by 1231awa(m): 12:03pm On Jun 21, 2016
CharlesPhc:
Pic
How much does the Silver calcium batteries you have cost? Can one get a 100ah deep sealed for 20k?

Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by CharlesPhc: 1:23pm On Jun 21, 2016
1231awa:

How much does the Silver calcium batteries you have cost? Can one get a 100ah deep sealed for 20k?

Not exactly. 100Ah deep Sealed in Port Harcourt goes for about N40k.
I also recommended a 38Ah (keke battery which is readily available anywhere you find a keke shop) x 2 = 76Ah for N20k (N10k each)
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by omejeo: 1:42pm On Jun 21, 2016
TESTIMONY TIME HOWFAR GUYS.PLS SIR WHERE WILL I GET THE CHARGER THE MAKER PLS
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by mkbessman(m): 3:12pm On Jun 21, 2016
CharlesPhc:

Not exactly. 100Ah deep Sealed in Port Harcourt goes for about N40k.
I also recommended a 38Ah (keke battery which is readily available anywhere you find a keke shop) x 2 = 76Ah for N20k (N10k each)

Sir. I love what ur doing. pls if I eventually get one for myself how long can I charge it with a generator set? ( I have I pass my neighbor o! Lolz). I saw 5 mins in ur write up and I was like let me confirm
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by CharlesPhc: 3:13pm On Jun 21, 2016
omejeo:
TESTIMONY TIME HOWFAR GUYS.PLS SIR WHERE WILL I GET THE CHARGER THE MAKER PLS

Online on konga.com or Computer Village in Lagos. I heard there is a WisperPower Battery Charger
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by CharlesPhc: 3:19pm On Jun 21, 2016
mkbessman:

Sir. I love what ur doing. pls if I eventually get one for myself how long can I charge it with a generator set? ( I have I pass my neighbor o! Lolz). I saw 5 mins in ur write up and I was like let me confirm

While setting up the device, i wanted to know how long it would take to charge the batteries with just the UPS. i discovered with a digital metre that it might take several days before a 38Ah battery would be fully charge so i had to introduce an external battery charge and when i did, it took just 5mins to hit maximum charge. Although this could be depending on the drain level so you could charge for more time after complete drain.
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by mkbessman(m): 3:42pm On Jun 21, 2016
CharlesPhc:

While setting up the device, i wanted to know how long it would take to charge the batteries with just the UPS. i discovered with a digital metre that it might take several days before a 38Ah battery would be fully charge so i had to introduce an external battery charge and when i did, it took just 5mins to hit maximum charge. Although this could be depending on the drain level so you could charge for more time after complete drain.

tnk u so much. so I go with the 5mins with the introduction of the external battery charge. kudos!
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by omejeo: 4:15pm On Jun 21, 2016
CharlesPhc:

Online on konga.com or Computer Village in Lagos. I heard there is a WisperPower Battery Charger
THANKS BOSS WHAT OF UPS BRAND NAME THAT WIL LAST.
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by CharlesPhc: 4:21pm On Jun 21, 2016
omejeo:
THANKS BOSS WHAT OF UPS BRAND NAME THAT WIL LAST.

Any UPS brand will work only ensure its still working but has battery issue.
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by ajishomo: 5:08pm On Jun 21, 2016
1231awa:

The batteries in this pic were connected in series....I read in a similar thread that the batteries must be connected in parallel pls clarify....
Thanks
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by CharlesPhc: 5:39pm On Jun 21, 2016
To everyone who have visited this thread and read this post, I appeal to you for just one thing, try it out carefully on your own, its a DIY (Do-It-Yourself) project. If you have any question, call me on my contact +2348059985262 (as many have done already) and after you succeed, come back here to testify if it worked or not so others can learn.

If it works, then we can all help each other in reducing excessive reliance on PHCN and PMS to power our generators 24/7.

Secondly, as someone rightly said, “Necessity is the mother of all inventions” this could lead to a more refined and sophisticated invention that could provide an alternative and sustainable means to fuel/power conservation/ utilization in Nigeria. I hereby challenge anyone who is more experienced in alternative power backup to first try it out and then come here to trash or approve its workability and or improvement.

If young people in other climes are helping to make things work better, we in Nigeria can do much more if we try.

Finally, let me use this opportunity to thank everyone who complimented the idea here on NL and from those who called and to also emphasis in all clarity that I posted the thread (and will continue to post more threads) with no intention of selling a product or making extra money for myself but to sell an idea to anyone who would dare to take up the challenge and do something different. We all need to help one another from the current power and security situation in the country.

Thank you.

7 Likes

Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jun 21, 2016
You are an awesome human being, Charles... blessings on you and your generation.
CharlesPhc:
To everyone who have visited this thread and read this post, I appeal to you for just one thing, try it out carefully on your own, its a DIY (Do-It-Yourself) project. If you have any question, call me on my contact +2348059985262 (as many have done already) and after you succeed, come back here to testify if it worked or not so others can learn.

If it works, then we can all help each other in reducing excessive reliance on PHCN and PMS to power our generators 24/7.

Secondly, as someone rightly said, “Necessity is the mother of all inventions” this could lead to a more refined and sophisticated invention that could provide an alternative and sustainable means to fuel/power conservation/ utilization in Nigeria. I hereby challenge anyone who is more experienced in alternative power backup to first try it out and then come here to trash or approve its workability and or improvement.

If young people in other climes are helping to make things work better, we in Nigeria can do much more if we try.

Finally, let me use this opportunity to thank everyone who complimented the idea here on NL and from those who called and to also emphasis in all clarity that I posted the thread (and will continue to post more threads) with no intention of selling a product or making extra money for myself but to sell an idea to anyone who would dare to take up the challenge and do something different. We all need to help one another from the current power and security situation in the country.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by 1231awa(m): 4:05pm On Jun 27, 2016
CharlesPhc:

650VA or better still 1200VA if you intend to connect more appliances.

The Computer UPS alone may not charge the batteries to full capacity that was why I added an external battery charger
Can this external charger comfortably charge a 100ah battery and above? From it's specifications it says the maximum charging amperage is 7a. Pls clarify us on that sir...
Thanks.

Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by CharlesPhc: 12:31pm On Jun 28, 2016
1231awa:

Can this external charger comfortably charge a 100ah battery and above? From it's specifications it says the maximum charging amperage is 7a. Pls clarify us on that sir...
Thanks.

Yes, it can charge any amperage of battery. If you check the pic of the one I'm currently using, it says 10amp on the surface but I have used it to charge 100ah and it worked perfectly.
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by CharlesPhc: 5:51pm On Jun 28, 2016
Thanks to everyone who have called to share their feedback on the work-ability of this DIY project.

I wish you can also share on this thread so others can learn from your experiences and what different idea we can also add to make power generation in the country affordable and less dependent on PMS.
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by CharlesPhc: 5:58pm On Jun 28, 2016
Meanwhile, watch out for the next DIY thread on Security Situation in the country and how to convert an old Web Cam and your PC into a CCTV Surveillance system that can play back, zoom in and out to capture faces of intruders, tilt Camera for proper ,otion detection etc.

Its a very simple project and all you need are your PC (desktop/laptop), Web Cam, and Cables.

You can connect the Camera even to distances up to 150ft away from your PC and monitor movements around your vicinity that far.
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by bizz(m): 7:41pm On Jun 30, 2016
Hello sir...Thanks for the lessons
I have an inverter(500w) that i use with my keke size battery(INEC battery) but intend to get 2 car batteries and connect to the inverter...is that possible?
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by hahn(m): 1:07pm On Jul 01, 2016
PUSIDRILA:
Do you know this power set up thingy, you could put the setup together,put them in custom made box preferably fibre glass, then brand it and sell offcourse with your margin added. You could start from house to house before you know it the CHARLTECK POWER PACK will be a household name and you, a pot- bellied Billionaire.

I love the way you think grin
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jul 01, 2016
Oga mi na so we see am o cool
hahn:

I love the way you think grin
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by uvalued(m): 4:44pm On Jul 03, 2016
CharlesPhc:
This simple 'How To do it yourself article' explains an interesting topic, how to convert your computer UPS into home Inverter.

If you own a desktop computer, you may have a UPS that can power your computer for 10-15 minutes after power failure.

The purpose of the UPS is to save your work and shutdown your computer properly to avoid potential data loss and hardware loss such as Hard disk of your computer.

Most of us always underestimate the potential of the computer UPS that sits beside your computer. The average computer UPS can deliver around 600VA, which is enough to power your low power appliances such as fan, tube light, computer, television, etc.

If you own more powerful UPS such as 1KVA you can power your home appliances more.

So how much can my computer UPS provide? 600VA means the apparent power, but the real power is 60% of specified value. In other words it provides 60% of the VA rating.

For example:

If you have 600VA UPS then 600VA x 0.6 = 360W maximum output.

If you have a 1KVA UPS then 1000VA x 0.6 = 600W maximum output.

If my computer UPS can provide this much power, then why does computer UPS only power 10-15 min?

This is because most of the computer UPS is only powered by 12V 7AH battery which is sitting inside the UPS.

To increase its backup time we need to connect a higher AH battery. The purpose of this article is to make a cost effective home Inverter from a computer UPS.

It works perfectly and I and a few friends have been using this for the past three years and still running...!!!

wow beautiful sunday discovery
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by hahn(m): 1:19pm On Aug 14, 2016
CharlesPhc:
Pic

What type of batteries are these in the pic?
Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by JayJustus(m): 2:20pm On Sep 09, 2016
thanks alot...I was able to generate power supply and boom...now people ask me to setup for them... I feel you've been able to empower me in my own lil way and God bless you fam...

here's my setup...it worked we charged two laptops, eight phones, , powered two printers and stuff

Re: Poor Power Supply: How To Generate Your Own Power from an Old UPS...!! by ajishomo: 7:35pm On Sep 09, 2016
JayJustus:
thanks alot...I was able to generate power supply and boom...now people ask me to setup for them... I feel you've been able to empower me in my own lil way and God bless you fam...

here's my setup...it worked we charged two laptopins, eight phones, , powered two printers and stuff
Please do you charge with the UPS or a seperate battery charger? And how long does it take to charge the battery to full capacity?
I really need to set one up asap....I will also appreciate if you could post a clearer picture showing details of the connection. Thanks so much

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

REGISTER Your BUSINESS, CHURCH and COMPANY With EASE / Sell&buy Your Itunes, Amazon, Walmart And Visa Gift Card. / Personalized Magic Mugs Supply In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.