Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,518 members, 7,816,253 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:19 AM

Do I Go Back Home? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do I Go Back Home? (3121 Views)

A Nairalander's Grandma Needs Her Way Back Home - Help Her / My Parent Wants Me To Move Back Home At 30. Please Advise / Guy Brought His Oyinbo Wife Back Home & His Family Members Were Astonished -pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do I Go Back Home? by chyjio(m): 7:38pm On Jun 20, 2016
Hello, Nairaland family.

I've been thinking alone on this issue for a while, but decided to bring it here so I can get a more rounded solution.

I'm in my mid 20s, and very fortunate to have gotten a good education and a good, loving family. I happen to be this kind of highly-motivated, self-inspired, risk taker who loves to bask in the freedom of walking the journey alone. And this has greatly influenced the kind of life I lead.

After my university education, I decided to move away from my family(living in lagos). I had generated some cash through my several online gigs and tech projects, so in january this year I moved to a small self-contain apartment on the mainland. I will gladly say that I loved this decision and it has helped me achieve some of my new year goals.

Now the problem is, my feeding has been very poor, not because I don't have the money, but for my poor culinary skills, and I can't afford to eat out everytime. I don't have the time either to acquire a girlfriend and I can easily get deeply engrossed in my projects that I forget to feed.

The second problem is, since I left home, my parents especially my mum has been on my neck. Finding every opportunity to call my phone, visit me and bring me food like I'm on hospital admission. This is becoming very intrusive and starting to affect my focus. But the worst was yet to come.

Last weekend, my parents visited me again, and this time they had to drop the bomb. They wanted me to come back home after my rent expires, citing reasons that my 3 older siblings(in their 30s) are still sticking with them. I didn't want to oppose them or make arguments so I told them I would think about it.

Now, I seem to be confused. I love this independence and I feel I'm building something great for myself. But then, the easy choice of going back home to mummy's great food and care is really tempting.

So, I need your candid advice on what you think is the best step to take. Am I tredding the wrong path? Do I need to stand firm on my decision? Please say

1 Like

Re: Do I Go Back Home? by MRBrownJ: 8:00pm On Jun 20, 2016
FEEDING ISSUE
when i 1st moved out i was just like you but my issue was that i "missed" my mum's cooking, so she would make soup, jollof rice, fried rice and i woull keep it in the freezer in daily portions, and all i had to do was take it out the freezer and defrost. problem solved!
in your case, you could also get a maid, if you can afford it, or buy frozen food from any proper supermarket (frozen pizzas etc) but it aint cheap... ultimately, get a gf to help in that dept (she doesnt even have to live with you), or LEARN TO COOK!

MOVING BACK HOME ISSUE

imho, dont do it! LIVE YOUR LIFE FULLY and if your brothas aint got your balls/opportunity then that is their problems. why should you have to pay for that? you have already tasted freedom/responsibility etc and you like it, there should be no turning back. sit your parents down and explain to them that as much as you love them, you are a MAN now, and need to live your damn life!

3 Likes

Re: Do I Go Back Home? by awennie(f): 9:47pm On Jun 20, 2016
You do not need to go back home. Staying alone will make you focus and achieve all your desires speedily. Note, your parents wants the best for you also. But you know what makes you happy and what drives the happiness. The food issue... get a girlfriend, I'm sure she will help with the cooking... All the best.

3 Likes

Re: Do I Go Back Home? by BuddhaPalm(m): 9:55pm On Jun 20, 2016
With a fridge and microwave you are set.

You could then pay someone to cook for just ONCE in a week...soup and stew.

In the beginning, I too, took soup from my mum weekly, and also went back every afternoon for Sunday rice.

Moving back should never be an option you should consider. You would lose the tons of personal growth & development that comes from independence.

You're a man now...your siblings have their own independent "races" to run.

2 Likes

Re: Do I Go Back Home? by benedictac(f): 10:08pm On Jun 20, 2016
I support the posters above, I don't support you going back home if you did, hey bro, it will take the very special Grace of God for you to be independent.

1 Like

Re: Do I Go Back Home? by chyjio(m): 10:57pm On Jun 20, 2016
MRBrownJ:
FEEDING ISSUE
when i 1st moved out i was just like you but my issue was that i "missed" my mum's cooking, so she would make soup, jollof rice, fried rice and i woull keep it in the freezer in daily portions, and all i had to do was take it out the freezer and defrost. problem solved!
in your case, you could also get a maid, if you can afford it, or buy frozen food from any proper supermarket (frozen pizzas etc) but it aint cheap... ultimately, get a gf to help in that dept (she doesnt even have to live with you), or LEARN TO COOK!

MOVING BACK HOME ISSUE

imho, dont do it! LIVE YOUR LIFE FULLY and if your brothas aint got your balls/opportunity then that is their problems. why should you have to pay for that? you have already tasted freedom/responsibility etc and you like it, there should be no turning back. sit your parents down and explain to them that as much as you love them, you are a MAN now, and need to live your damn life!

I've tried hiring someone to cook, but it's either too expensive or me being wary of the person's personal hygiene. I also don't have a freezer yet because the room is quite small plus poor power supply. Seriously, it's a difficult thing. Maybe I'll just stick with my cereals and canned foods while eating out once in a while. I'll keep your advice though. Thanks.
Re: Do I Go Back Home? by chyjio(m): 11:00pm On Jun 20, 2016
awennie:
You do not need to go back home. Staying alone will make you focus and achieve all your desires speedily. Note, your parents wants the best for you also. But you know what makes you happy and what drives the happiness. The food issue... get a girlfriend, I'm sure she will help with the cooking... All the best.

Thank you. Hmm..girlfriend? I don't think that option is best for me at this time.

4 Likes

Re: Do I Go Back Home? by chyjio(m): 11:12pm On Jun 20, 2016
BuddhaPalm:
With a fridge and microwave you are set.

You could then pay someone to cook for just ONCE in a week...soup and stew.

In the beginning, I too, took soup from my mum weekly, and also went back every afternoon for Sunday rice.

Moving back should never be an option you should consider. You would lose the tons of personal growth & development that comes from independence.

You're a man now...your siblings have their own independent "races" to run.

That's a good idea. Maybe I go home once a week to get a flask of food,soup or stew. At least this will stop my mum from visiting me impromptu with food(I really want her to stop this). The only problem will then be to preserve the food(maybe I'll use my neighbour's freezer). Thanks man.

1 Like

Re: Do I Go Back Home? by Sparkles003(f): 12:32am On Jun 21, 2016
if you go back home you lose your
self respect
independence
freedom
your will to make decisions that favour you or take positive risks
Re: Do I Go Back Home? by mysticgal(f): 6:24am On Jun 21, 2016
Op, if you'd pay me,I will cook for you..... For absolutely free!!
. Oops
. sorry, I don't stay in lagos. Sorry but please, never... I mean, never move. You might be sent to buy vegetable oil down the road one day like a baby. So stay kaput where you are cheesy

1 Like

Re: Do I Go Back Home? by Nobody: 6:31am On Jun 21, 2016
awennie:

You as a woman are advising someone to get a girlfriend for the sole purpose of cooking?. Would you like someone who ordinarily doesn't really want a girlfriend to date your own little sister just so he has someone to cook for him?.

9 Likes

Re: Do I Go Back Home? by Nobody: 6:35am On Jun 21, 2016
chyjio:

Thank you. Hmm..girlfriend? I don't think that option is best for me at this time.

Kudos OP. Please do not listen to advice to get a girlfriend just so you will have someone to cook for the you!. Only get a girlfriend when you are ready for love.

Maybe you should compromise with your parents by moving much closer to them so that you can visit them more and they can keep an eye on you. When you have your own kids, you will understand.

2 Likes

Re: Do I Go Back Home? by frozenSun(m): 6:45am On Jun 21, 2016
I have a great loving family with our own house full of food and food experts but i left my father's house, moved to my apartment b4 the age of 25 and i burned my boat so i would never think of going back home. my parents knew where I lived but were not allowed to come around there for almost 2 years.
I had money with me but i shrunk so bad that i had to change my clothes and even my belts cos i was no longer in a house where I could open the pot and eat free food every time. I now had to cook my own food. babes come around but i no allow any woman to light stove in my kitchen that time for over a year. i learnt how to cook by force.

now is the time for u to learn those things u did not learn in school and time for u to put your survival skills to the test. now is the time to learn how to discipline and mould yourself and work with your own time table and program.
I believe a young man should make this move and aspire to go further, go harder, go stronger, go wiser. if not, why bother ?

if you are thinking about going back home especially to a house where 3 of ur elders @ 30+ are still living, then you don't know why you came out in the first place. going back there will be like when you return from boarding school like a kid. you will be very welcome and pampered with food but then, all those ur elders will mock and taunt you till you faint. you start having distractions running errands with the time you should have been ussing to grow up on your own.

your decision to make.

as for me, frog no dey go back. I go further, go harder, go stronger, go wiser. if not, then why bother ?

4 Likes

Re: Do I Go Back Home? by Nobody: 6:48am On Jun 21, 2016
MRBrownJ:
FEEDING ISSUE

MOVING BACK HOME ISSUE

imho, dont do it! LIVE YOUR LIFE FULLY and if your brothas aint got your balls/opportunity then that is their problems. why should you have to pay for that? you have already tasted freedom/responsibility etc and you like it, there should be no turning back. sit your parents down and explain to them that as much as you love them, you
are a MAN now, and need to live your damn life!

The man has spoken, don't move back
Re: Do I Go Back Home? by chyjio(m): 11:59am On Jun 21, 2016
frozenSun:
I have a great loving family with our own house full of food and food experts but i left my father's house, moved to my apartment b4 the age of 25 and i burned my boat so i would never think of going back home. my parents knew where I lived but were not allowed to come around there for almost 2 years.
I had money with me but i shrunk so bad that i had to change my clothes and even my belts cos i was no longer in a house where I could open the pot and eat free food every time. I now had to cook my own food. babes come around but i no allow any woman to light stove in my kitchen that time for over a year. i learnt how to cook by force.

now is the time for u to learn those things u did not learn in school and time for u to put your survival skills to the test. now is the time to learn how to discipline and mould yourself and work with your own time table and program.
I believe a young man should make this move and aspire to go further, go harder, go stronger, go wiser. if not, why bother ?

if you are thinking about going back home especially to a house where 3 of ur elders @ 30+ are still living, then you don't know why you came out in the first place. going back there will be like when you return from boarding school like a kid. you will be very welcome and pampered with food but then, all those ur elders will mock and taunt you till you faint. you start having distractions running errands with the time you should have been ussing to grow up on your own.

your decision to make.

as for me, frog no dey go back. I go further, go harder, go stronger, go wiser. if not, then why bother ?

Hmmm...that's some word man! I will need to re-organize myself and stick to my guns! No going back. Going stronger. Thanks man!
Re: Do I Go Back Home? by SirVintageCock: 12:14pm On Jun 21, 2016
Browse the recipe of any food you want and lit your stove. Men who lacks culinary skills have always found themselves deceived by stomach infrastructure from time immemorial. Do not fall a victim.

2 Likes

Re: Do I Go Back Home? by Amicable24: 12:28pm On Jun 21, 2016
chyjio:

C.J, I wouldn't advise u on the girlfriend thing either, it even looks like u dnt av any at d moment..
You can arrange to go home maybe twice every week(Wednesday/Sunday, Tuesday/Saturday, ur choice..) ur mum could arrange stew nd soup for u that u can take back home.. It's not a big deal warming it with ur stove or gas cooker every morning and evening.. You shud be able to boil rice nd make eba/any swallow of ur choice na..
Your parents want you to come home just because your elder brothers are still with dem, hmmm, I'll advice u follow ur mind on this..
And Chygio, be careful with girls/women/babes ooo, cos many are out there looking for a hustler and single guy like u to devour... Dey won't mind living with u, I guess this shud be another reason ur parents want u home before u go come back tell dem say u don give girl belle grin grin grin Just be very careful around them girls..

That's all frm my end..
Re: Do I Go Back Home? by Amicable24: 12:33pm On Jun 21, 2016
fem29:

You as a woman are advising someone to get a girlfriend for the sole purpose of cooking?. Would you like someone who ordinarily doesn't really want a girlfriend to date your own little sister just so he has someone to cook for him?.
E ba mi beere oo embarassed
Re: Do I Go Back Home? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jun 21, 2016
Amicable24:

E ba mi beere oo embarassed

See me see wahala ooo . reducing the worth of a woman to what she cooks. It is well
Re: Do I Go Back Home? by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jun 21, 2016
Don't do it.

I repeat: Don't do it.

You made a good decision by leaving home and learning to stand on your own two feet. Your 30-something year old siblings who are still living at home with your parents are long overdue for moving out. You're probably much more mature than all three of them combined. The fact that you saved enough to move out in your 20s speaks volume. It's not as if money is an issue but they're probably comfortable at home. Home can be comforting; the longer you remain there the harder it is to leave but you only end up crippling yourself and personal growth. Your parents themselves seem overprotective and I'm sure they mean well but they're just preventing you (or your siblings, rather) from blossoming into your/their own unique selves. I can't blame your parents, however. Your siblings are all adults and old enough to make their own decisions.

The whole idea of getting a girlfriend to be cooking for you is absurd. I hope no female out there would agree to be doing that when she is not your wife and has her own life to live. You have no mental nor physical disabilities preventing you from learning how to cook, so get yourself a cookbook or watch some youtube videos and teach yourself.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do I Go Back Home? by MRBrownJ: 9:25pm On Jun 21, 2016
i wonder why so many are looking down on the GF issue... isnt that man ripe to have a gf?! he is a 20yr old independent single ma,n and a gf would come handy in all his daily needs... aka care/affection/sex/support (cooking etc). isnt this the reason we do get GF/BF? to fill the void in our lives? that gal may also gain a bf who has his own place where she can crash whenever she desire. its a win-win situation for the both of them.

as i said, the gf will be there for CARE/AFFECTION/COMPANIONSHIP/SEX and any possible SUPPORT (yes culinary too) if she is available. no biggie!
Re: Do I Go Back Home? by telemapreye1(f): 3:11pm On Jun 22, 2016
Don't even go back
Re: Do I Go Back Home? by Neverquit(f): 4:29am On Jun 23, 2016
@ chyjio,

1) Don't move back home
2) Take a crash cooking course from your mom (probably over a slow weekend).
3) Learn to cook the basics...how to boil egg, rice, yam...simple chicken/fish stew etc.
4) Don't have a girlfriend until you're ready for a mutually benefiting partnership.

The End
Re: Do I Go Back Home? by cococandy(f): 5:15am On Jun 23, 2016
Look at what lack of home training is causing.
I DO mean to be harsh OP.
a young person who cannot take care of themselves in basic things like cooking should go back to the drawing board.
Maybe you should have learned how to cook before taking the bold step of moving out.

For those suggesting girlfriend aka cook, Whose daughter is going to be his glorified cook in the name of girlfriend? Someone like me? Psst.I'm sure if I raised all the girls in Nigeria, men like him will learn to cook by force because I ain't raising no one's maid. The nerve of those even suggesting it.
As if a girl getting a boyfriend to foot her bills won't be bashed and taunted for wanting a man for other reasons than love. But it's okay for him to get a girlfriend because of food. undecided

OP Get off your butt and LEARN TO COOK.

8 Likes

Re: Do I Go Back Home? by byvan03: 6:32am On Jun 23, 2016
cococandy:
Look at what lack of home training is causing.
I DO mean to be harsh OP.
a young person who cannot take care of themselves in basic things like cooking should go back to the drawing board.
Maybe you should have learned how to cook before taking the bold step of moving out.

For those suggesting girlfriend aka cook, Whose daughter is going to be his glorified cook in the name of girlfriend? Someone like me? Psst.I'm sure if I raised all the girls in Nigeria, men like him will learn to cook by force because I ain't raising no one's maid. The nerve of those even suggesting it.
As if a girl getting a boyfriend to foot her bills won't be bashed and taunted for wanting a man for other reasons than love. But it's okay for him to get a girlfriend because of food. undecided

OP Get off your butt and LEARN TO COOK.

Thank you! Whose daughter really? Mcchheeeww

OP why does your mum 's once in a while visit bother you so much, what kind of a person are you really? Nawaooh!! Don't go back home, build your own niche.

1 Like

Re: Do I Go Back Home? by Acidosis(m): 6:57am On Jun 23, 2016
Going back home is an alternative. Since you claimed your parents visit you often, I presumed you all live in Lagos. They wouldn't engage in frequent visitations if either of you resides in faraway north.

Consider the fact that you cannot cook.
Consider how much you spend on rent and bills on the mainland.
And to crown it all, you don't have a wife, not even in the process of getting one.

So what exactly are you doing on the Mainland that can't be done on the Island?

GO BACK to your parents home bro; MOVE OUT only when you're ready to build your marital life.

1 Like

Re: Do I Go Back Home? by cococandy(f): 7:14am On Jun 23, 2016
byvan03:

Thank you! Whose daughter really? Mcchheeeww

OP why does your mum 's once in a while visit bother you so much, what kind of a person are you really? Nawaooh!! Don't go back home, build your own niche.
Umu okorobia these days sef.

Let me finish raising this my omoge and see which one will come to date her because he needs someone to cook for him. He will tell me whether if he doesn't know the address to catering schools around him. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Do I Go Back Home? by EfemenaXY: 7:32am On Jun 23, 2016
MRBrownJ:
i wonder why so many are looking down on the GF issue... isnt that man ripe to have a gf?! he is a 20yr old independent single ma,n and a gf would come handy in all his daily needs... aka care/affection/sex/support (cooking etc). isnt this the reason we do get GF/BF? to fill the void in our lives? that gal may also gain a bf who has his own place where she can crash whenever she desire. its a win-win situation for the both of them.

as i said, the gf will be there for CARE/AFFECTION/COMPANIONSHIP/SEX and any possible SUPPORT (yes culinary too) if she is available. no biggie!

What void are you referring to?

He stated very clearly that he does not want a girlfriend yet, neither is he ready for one. So why try and rope him into a relationship he neither cares for nor wants at this time of his life?

Relationships come with responsibilities and are time consuming at best. Here we have a very focused young man who just wants to get on with his projects and self development and all you can think of is how he should start scouring for a girl to bed, cook, and clean up after him? Is that how lowly your perception of women is?? angry And before you shout 'companionship', did the @op mention any where in his post that he is lonely??

@Cjyjio: I like what I've read about you so far and will advice as I would one of my sons.

You seem to know exactly what it is you want from life and have taken a couple of bold steps towards achieving these - all of which appear to be paying off, albeit slowly, so Kudos to you.

The only 'issue' you have right now is learning how to cook. Notice I put the word in quotes because it really shouldn't be a problem. These days, you can learn almost anything for free via you tube. I'll suggest dedicate an hour or two each day watching some help how to cook videos on the net. You're a techie geek so you won't have any problems finding your way round.

Start with the basics i.e: Boiling (easiest to do) - how to boil rice, yam, beans, eggs, and how to make Eba. Then how to cook stew. It's really not that hard. All you need is:
Some vegetable oil
Tomatoes
Pepper
Onions
Spices (salt, curry, thyme, nutmeg, and DeRica{tomato purée})
Meat/fish/chicken (any one would do).

Watch this a couple of times and practice a bit on your own too. Once you've mastered this, you can use your stew to eat almost anything. Rice, yam,beans, plantain, bread, or Eba with a little okro.

Arrange to visit home on weekends or when you're less busy. Insist on following your mum to the market so you know what to buy and what quantity to buy. When you get home, insist on not just helping out but doing it yourself in the kitchen while your mother directs you. This can also be a fun activity between you both and an opportunity to alleviate any fears your mum might have about you living alone.

If your older siblings or anyone comes in the kitchen to taunt you, ignore them. You're there for a reason and this is a brief learning phase in your life which you'll overcome in no time. In fact I'm quite sure your mum would be pleased when you show off the bits you learnt on YouTube. She'll correct any mistakes you make with love. That's what we mothers do. smiley

In the meantime, stay away from girls and their wahala, continue with you path to self development and above all, remain focused.

All the best. smiley

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Go Back Home? by byvan03: 7:37am On Jun 23, 2016
cococandy:

Umu okorobia these days sef.

Let me finish raising this my omoge and see which one will come to date her because he needs someone to cook for him. He will tell me whether if he doesn't know the address to catering schools around him. cheesy

Dating who? When she is already betrothed to the finest of men? Nobody go smell near, they know their cooks when they see them cheesy.
Re: Do I Go Back Home? by cococandy(f): 10:45am On Jun 23, 2016
cheesy
byvan03:

Dating who? When she is already betrothed to the finest of men? Nobody go smell near, they know their cooks when they see them cheesy.

1 Like

Re: Do I Go Back Home? by FreeWorld23: 10:48am On Jun 23, 2016
Morning mrs, i have been looking for you for a long time now wink

Agarawu23
cococandy:
cheesy
Re: Do I Go Back Home? by postmann: 12:30pm On Jun 23, 2016
byvan03:

A wonderful afternoon to you dearie. I'm sorry I'm coming late but I have to thank you for your support and kindness, for indulging me despite the odds.

I'm forever grateful! Thank you!

We made it to the final which is on Saturday.

And I'll need you again.

Bless you!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Spitting Blood After Been Punched By Husband / Would You Date A Potential Step-sibling? / I Am Here To Answer All Your Personal Finance Questions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.