Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:23 AM

From Car Wash To Transmission Problem. Help - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / From Car Wash To Transmission Problem. Help (2831 Views)

Guys Pouring Wine On New Car To "Wash" It (Photos) / 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners / Golf 4 Automatic Transmission Problem Please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

From Car Wash To Transmission Problem. Help by stpat1(m): 7:42pm On Jun 20, 2016
Hello guys I need your help.

I recently got my car engine (Honda civic 2004 model) washed some few days back. After about 10 mins drive from the car wash, I noticed that the car was not changing gears even with continuous revving.

I stopped by my mechanic's workshop only to be told that my gear oil compartment has been flooded with water. We got it drained (It was actually flooded) and replaced the oil but the problem persists.

The mechanic is already suggesting I buy a new gear box. Is there any solution? As I am still optimistic that there might be some solution.

What do you suggest. Experts pls help me out.
Re: From Car Wash To Transmission Problem. Help by stpat1(m): 7:47pm On Jun 20, 2016
I wish Ibwas in lagos or Abj where our Nairaland experts are to check it out.
Ikenna351, Gazzuz, Siena, Cardoctor. Make una suggest solutions o.
Re: From Car Wash To Transmission Problem. Help by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:09pm On Jun 20, 2016
stpat1:
I wish Ibwas in lagos or Abj where our Nairaland experts are to check it out.
Ikenna351, Gazzuz, Siena, Cardoctor. Make una suggest solutions o.

I don't think I agree with your mechanics, how much water could possibly get into a transmission when it is being washed? Or was the vehicle soaked in water? Scan and check "TPS" if tps is not functioning car could be stuck in first gear for a long time

1 Like

Re: From Car Wash To Transmission Problem. Help by mayor2013: 8:20pm On Jun 20, 2016
stpat1:

I recently got my car engine (Honda civic 2004 model) washed some few days back. After about 10 mins drive from the car wash, I noticed that the car was not changing gears even with continuous revving.

I stopped by my mechanic's workshop only to be told that my gear oil compartment has been flooded with water. We got it drained (It was actually flooded) and replaced the oil but the problem persists.

The mechanic is already suggesting I buy a new gear box. Is there any solution? As I am still optimistic that there might be some solution.

Run a scan first
Re: From Car Wash To Transmission Problem. Help by stpat1(m): 8:48pm On Jun 20, 2016
Kk guys. I'll do just that. Thanks so much
Re: From Car Wash To Transmission Problem. Help by oNj(m): 9:16pm On Jun 20, 2016
I once had a similar issue after an engine wash.
Water somehow found its way into the transmission socket and corroded some pins over time.
Result was transmission not able to move to the last gear.
So yes, scan vehicle and look in the above direction.
Re: From Car Wash To Transmission Problem. Help by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:29pm On Jun 20, 2016
stpat1:

was the car washed outside or engine bay

lets assume that water got into the transmission draining once wont do the trick

if you are doing a transmission flush you flash twice or 3 times before final refill

in your case you said drain and refilled and you didnt mention how many times

if the wash was inside the engine bay then your need to check all connection wires to the gearbox blows them with compressed air and also use contact cleaner
Re: From Car Wash To Transmission Problem. Help by stpat1(m): 8:02am On Jun 24, 2016
Thanks. I only drained once. I will try and check all connections thoroughly and reflush again. I want to explore all solution means before concluding if the gear box will be changed.
Re: From Car Wash To Transmission Problem. Help by stpat1(m): 8:35pm On Jun 28, 2016
I flushed the transmission oil again and also flushed the solenoid as attached. I think solenoid or changer. All in all, the problem still persists.

Next to do is to get someone to come do some diagnostics. I just hate the idea of changing the entire gear box. I will explore all other options as changing the gear box will be the last resort.

Re: From Car Wash To Transmission Problem. Help by Kashif(m): 10:42am On Jun 29, 2016
stpat1:
I flushed the transmission oil again and also flushed the solenoid as attached. I think solenoid or changer. All in all, the problem still persists.

Next to do is to get someone to come do some diagnostics. I just hate the idea of changing the entire gear box. I will explore all other options as changing the gear box will be the last resort.

You have been advised by many responders here to scan your car. This, you have not done. Start from there!

Meanwhile, I dont understand how washing your engine bay would flood your transmission Did they try to wash the transmission internals too? Can you post a picture of the transmission oil 'compartment' that was flooded and drained?

Have one thing in mind - Honda solenoids don't like strange fluids. So 'flushing' them might effectively be RIP!

(1) (Reply)

How To Use Driving Hand Signals Properly / Can I Use A Generator To Start A Car? Car Battery Is Dead / Are U Leaving Abroad And Needs A Reliable Person To Sell The Things U Send?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.