Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,419 members, 7,836,673 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:25 AM

Nigeria: Our Too Much Dependent On Pen Is Sending Us Backward - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria: Our Too Much Dependent On Pen Is Sending Us Backward (490 Views)

What Did You Do To Be Self Dependent Financially As A University Student? / Nigeria's Problem, "Depending Too Much On Pen" / Too Much Dependent On Pen Is Sending Us Backward (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria: Our Too Much Dependent On Pen Is Sending Us Backward by Soft10(m): 4:38pm On Jun 21, 2016
Nigeria: Our Too Much Dependent On Pen Is Sending Us Backward
“If 2y(5x-7y) -6y X +6 = 45 find x.” Yesterday i was in the sitting room watching a program called China24 on CCTV NEWS, an electric lamp
manufacturer was interviewed together with his workers
in his factory. The workers are kids between the ages or
12-18. And the most beautiful part of it was that the kids can on their own manufacture same. Now let's come down to Nigeria.

Nigerian students are
busy searching for "x" while students in the developed countries are manufacturing things for the development of their country. In Nigeria, our engineering students spend nearly all their time solving difficult equations and searching for "x". In Nigeria, students will be asked to search for "x", I do smile and ask myself how can we use Algebra and simultaneous equation to boost the economy? How can we use the located "x" to solve the challenges facing
us?

In Nigeria, teacher will draw a circle having dots in it on the chalk board and tell the kids "this is an Orange"
imagine. In Nigeria, a teacher will be in the class room using acid
to change litmus paper to red on the chalk board. In fact, in Nigeria the best place to mix acid with base is on
chalk board. In Nigeria, a teacher will be in the class teaching rock
and it types and expect the students to be able to identify them in real sense how possible?
However, the above are some of the reasons why at 50+ as an oil producing country we are still importing
tooth-pick and matches. Our brain has been channel to the fact that failure to go to school will end one up as a domestic servant of the educated ones which I seriously disagree with. We can't all be in the class room at the
same time and expect us to catch up with the developed countries, it never done; we will keep depending on
them with such barbaric idea. Let those that are willing to go into sport be on the field or track not in class room, Christiano Ronaldo of Real Madrid FC was expelled from school at the age of 14
and today he is a world footballer.
Let take those that are good in construction to factories or workshops not class room. Let's take away pen from
our engineering students and send them out of class. Let's take away pen from those that are willing to take hoe, cutlass, hammer, saw, screw driver etc. Our too
much dependent on pen is sending us backward.
To me, spending 5, 6 or more years in tertiary institution is nothing but a total waste of time, 3 years is enough for engineering courses. 12 calender month is enough for food related courses and 3 or 4 years is enough to be a
lawyer. At this juncture, I will like to call on the government at all level to look into this and find a lasting
solution to it.

Lastly, our government should stop sending the talented ones away by sending them abroad for training and
failed to establish/provide where they will be
discharging what they've learnt or the skills they've acquired upon their arrival. If we can do this, I believe
that few years to come Nigeria will be the greatest country of the world while others will be on the queue at our back. But before then, I remain my humble self. God bless my father land
Re: Nigeria: Our Too Much Dependent On Pen Is Sending Us Backward by Soft10(m): 4:42pm On Jun 21, 2016
Cc lalasticala
Re: Nigeria: Our Too Much Dependent On Pen Is Sending Us Backward by littlelion(m): 5:05pm On Jun 21, 2016
Now this is your own opinion,
Education remains the best Lagacy period
Re: Nigeria: Our Too Much Dependent On Pen Is Sending Us Backward by mindworx: 5:48pm On Jun 21, 2016
To a very large extent, this guy might just be right
Re: Nigeria: Our Too Much Dependent On Pen Is Sending Us Backward by Standing5(m): 8:06pm On Jun 21, 2016
I don't agree with the OP. The answer to X and Y is related to all things around you. Algebra help create many things around today and isn't just some task concocted to test people's ''cramming ability''.
Those kids you used as example understand the place of mathematics already and don't need to be told how to apply it to their tasks. How do you explain the fact that most company auditor who handle large volume of data don't know where to get formulas in excel or that excel is a particular spreadsheet application among others? We have lazy spirit within us that's all.

(1) (Reply)

Rie Cee 2016 Result ~ Ajmer Rie Cee Counselling Schedule / Funaab's Admission Form For 2016/2017 Is Out.. / Unn Screening Form Is Out. See How To Apply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.