Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,729 members, 7,827,655 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. (5182 Views)

Felicia Chidi, Commercial Vehicle Driver And How She Lost Her Estate / Lady Who Rehabilitated A Destitute Losses Her Job, See Her Reaction / Tweet That Got A Woman Fired From Her Job Before It Even Started (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by WildOne(f): 5:59pm On Sep 03, 2009
Hey y'all.

Please, my bosom friend who works as a marketer with one of the new generation banks just lost her job and she's slipping into the throes of despondency.

According to her, the bank was downsizing and asked a lot of workers to resign, citing diverse reasons. Hers was inability to meet deposit target.

I've run out of encouraging words to give her and I really feel for her, as she was taken by surprise.

Please people, how do I make her see there's life after FCMB.
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by FunmyKemmy(f): 9:36am On Sep 04, 2009
Tell her I have been young and old. I have never seen the righteous forsaken or his children begging for bread. Tell her there is gain in her loss. She should look inward.

Self consolation is the best. A living dog is better than a dead lion.

Chikena.
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by letustalk(m): 11:55am On Sep 04, 2009
@WILDONE
You have been a very good friend encouraging her through it and all, but what are the alternative remedies you have advised her on? for instance have you encouraged her on applying for jobs? i must tell you the truth, although people say this period is an economically crushed one but in two months for instance i had about two-three offers. people are still getting juicy jobs in this period. let her throw her cv around cos the earlier the better. in any case, her marketing counts as a job experience which furthers her chances. besides, i know the easiest kind of job to get now is a marketing job. she may just be interested in continuing in same field. meanwhile, what is her qualifications and grade like?
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by Laju123: 3:04pm On Sep 04, 2009
My Bro/Sis,
Nothing done under dis planet earth is waste or lost, Thank God that your friend had one opportunity which just took him/her unaware, never mind, u r a friend indeed.
let the person know that job lost or job gone is not life gone, as long there is life, there is hope for a beta opportunity, it is beta this one had to go just like that,

why?
so that a beta one can come in, if u dnt lost something, another one will not come. ( I mean a beta one for that matter).

A pice of advice from me is that, the person should keep the faith alive not dead.

There is hope

Shola
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by WildOne(f): 4:26pm On Sep 04, 2009
Aww, y'all are just wonderful. Please keep it coming. I intend to bring her to this thread and let her see the out-poring of advices and encouragement here for her.

@ letustalk:

She has a B.Sc (Second Class Upper) in Psychology.
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by olagboye(m): 6:20pm On Sep 04, 2009
hey, tell ur friend that its not the end of the world! I actually resigned from a bank earlier this year cos I didnt like the way I was being treated(was working with my National Diploma though I have my B.Sc.) I got like 2 offers after leaving the bank but they were not up to my standard. I know that great job is very near. If you can believe it, you can achieve it. Tell your friend to start applying to other sectors cos we all know the banking sector is really hot now. Was in a friend's office today and she was telling me that if she doesnt get 50M this month for her bank as deposit, she may lose her job! its a general thing with banks now.
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by aquita(m): 6:40pm On Sep 04, 2009
@WildOne,

I really sympathise with your friend. However, let her realise that what happened to her is a blessing in disguise. Better things are in the pipeline for her (by His grace). All the best.
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by chosen04(f): 7:27pm On Sep 04, 2009
WildOne:

Hey y'all.

Please, my bosom friend who works as a marketer with one of the new generation banks just lost her job and she's slipping into the throes of despondency.

Thank God she is a marketer. That means "she is not out of Job" cos there are so many marketing opportunities out there.

Infact, she will be Thanking God for being affected by the downsizing in few years time if she can her marketing spirit intact.
Let her start marketing items like:- Diesel, Cement, Building materials etc

Its really a recreative venture. Its really paying my bills.
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by horlla(m): 7:36pm On Sep 04, 2009
Tell her NOT to give up. There is hope for a tree that is cut down immediately it senses water it sprouts again. Tell her to be closer to the fountain of water(Life) the Lord jesus and It will be well with her "better is the end of a matter than the beginning thereof"
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by babanassy: 8:29pm On Sep 04, 2009
Jesus is behind every thing, just tell your friend to take heart and that something good will come her way by the Specail Grace of God Amen
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by lekanbill(m): 10:11pm On Sep 04, 2009
my dear, please let your friend know that there is life after FCMB. let her acknowledge that her sack is a blessing in disguise. i am a living example. may 9th 2009, i was given a letter (layoff) in zain all in the name of cut-costing and outsourcing. But by his grace, july 15th 2009, i resumed work at chevron. who say there is no God.
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by namun(f): 10:14pm On Sep 04, 2009
she should look inwards. she can covert her passion opr hubby toa gold mine probably even better than a salaried job
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by whassup: 8:45am On Sep 05, 2009
what type of job was she doing was she a full staff or a dsa.if a dsa she doesnt need to worry she will get sometin better infact they just relieved her of her problems
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by Sagamite(m): 3:47pm On Sep 05, 2009
Sorry to hear that.

It is a tough market for jobs at the moment around the world. If she has some savings tell her to explore what kind of business she thinks she might be able to do, even if just for the mean time.

She is free to contact me if she needs guidance or indicators on how to make her business idea successful.
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by WildOne(f): 4:57pm On Sep 05, 2009
lekanbill:

my dear, please let your friend know that there is life after FCMB. let her acknowledge that her sack is a blessing in disguise. i am a living example. may 9th 2009, i was given a letter (layoff) in zain all in the name of cut-costing and outsourcing. But by his grace, july 15th 2009, i resumed work at chevron. who say there is no God.

Congrats ooo.

whass up:

what type of job was she doing was she a full staff or a dsa.if a dsa she doesnt need to worry she will get sometin better infact they just relieved her of her problems

She was a full staff for over 2 years. The most painful part is that she was even promoted on this job early last year. Then, all of a sudden, this.
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by aristocrat(m): 5:42pm On Sep 05, 2009
she doesnt av much problem, so far she once had a banking experience and besides dis fact, in d course of her marketing she must av known influential people who can help her. just tell her dat she can even still work in a better bank, all she needs to do is to b prayerfull and trust god
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by mamagee6(f): 6:12pm On Sep 05, 2009
Is she going to get a job on Nairaland?
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by tunnytox(m): 11:00am On Sep 06, 2009
Nigerian Banking sector is a joke! forcing people to meet some deposit targets to me is evil and very unprofessional. You friend case is not the first and will not be the last, my broda too who works in a bank always complains of the same thing. However, i sympathise with your friend i hope God will open a new way for her.
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by sley4life(m): 2:01pm On Sep 06, 2009
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by letustalk(m): 8:41am On Sep 07, 2009
@Wildone
How did your friend do over the weekend? I just read through the posts this morning and i have heard the comments of all. I want to tell you however that there is a bank i know she can drop her cv and will be invited for a test in a short while, well that is just in case she doesnt mind still working in a bank. My bank does not give targets and the requirement is strictly 2.1 or 1st class. as a matter of fact, that is one of the reasons why i was asking about her grade. Note that i am not making any guarantee but only giving one additional advice piece like others. I may not be able to give details of the place as that is where i work and i have official reasons thereto. the way i am giving you this advice was how i was once given the advice. you can hit me through my email on my profile for further details i will give you which i cant post here due to its confidentiality. however, i will only be able to read the mails by weekend cos we are banned from public mails. alternatively, post your email and i will send you my phone number so you can call me. but pls i really may not be able to read till weekend. i only check my phone for urgent mails, else, weekend. so it's up to you if you are okay with that, but like i said, i am not making any guarantees. i do not own the bank but can only give her some help which outsiders cannot have access to.
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by DMD(m): 8:57am On Sep 07, 2009
[b]How did your friend do over the weekend? I just read through the posts this morning and i have heard the comments of all. I want to tell you however that there is a bank i know she can drop her cv and will be invited for a test in a short while, well that is just in case she doesnt mind still working in a bank. My bank does not give targets and the requirement is strictly 2.1 or 1st class. as a matter of fact, that is one of the reasons why i was asking about her grade. Note that i am not making any guarantee but only giving one additional advice piece like others. I may not be able to give details of the place as that is where i work and i have official reasons thereto. the way i am giving you this advice was how i was once given the advice. you can hit me through my email on my profile for further details i will give you which i cant post here due to its confidentiality. however, i will only be able to read the mails by weekend cos we are banned from public mails. alternatively, post your email and i will send you my phone number so you can call me. but pls i really may not be able to read till weekend. i only check my phone for urgent mails, else, weekend. so it's up to you if you are okay with that, but like i said, i am not making any guarantees. i do not own the bank but can only give her some help which outsiders cannot have access to.[/b]

Thank you lestalk for offering to help. In all, I would like to tell her to remain assured that God will definitely give her a job soon.
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by letustalk(m): 9:16am On Sep 07, 2009
@DMD

You are welcome.
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by Nobody: 10:25am On Sep 07, 2009
I FEEL FOR HER AND OTHERS IN THIS SITUATION.
MY DEAREST COUSIN IS ALSO INVOLVED
FCMB BUT WHY? MY COUSIN WAS INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT(NOT MOTOR) AND WAS ABSENT FROM WORK BUT WHEN SHE RESUMED,SHE WAS HAS TO GO BECOS OF TARGET
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by Nezan(m): 12:14pm On Sep 07, 2009
This is bad.
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by modath(f): 3:19pm On Sep 07, 2009
@wildone,
Your friend's story is better,i was asked by my bank[yellow brand]not to return from leave, i am an operations person[who has no issue] and the only one singled out,to make the issue worse,i am married,have two kids,siblings e.t.c and i have been looking for over seven months,i went for an interview and immediately family entered,the carmaraderie cooled and i have received no feedback since may.
my advice to your friend is to find something to occupy her for now[till the banking sector brouhaha dies down] pray and wait on the Lord.
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by WildOne(f): 11:26am On Sep 08, 2009
letustalk:

@Wildone
How did your friend do over the weekend? I just read through the posts this morning and i have heard the comments of all. I want to tell you however that there is a bank i know she can drop her cv and will be invited for a test in a short while, well that is just in case she doesnt mind still working in a bank. My bank does not give targets and the requirement is strictly 2.1 or 1st class. as a matter of fact, that is one of the reasons why i was asking about her grade. Note that i am not making any guarantee but only giving one additional advice piece like others. I may not be able to give details of the place as that is where i work and i have official reasons thereto. the way i am giving you this advice was how i was once given the advice. you can hit me through my email on my profile for further details i will give you which i cant post here due to its confidentiality. however, i will only be able to read the mails by weekend cos we are banned from public mails. alternatively, post your email and i will send you my phone number so you can call me. but pls i really may not be able to read till weekend. i only check my phone for urgent mails, else, weekend. so it's up to you if you are okay with that, but like i said, i am not making any guarantees. i do not own the bank but can only give her some help which outsiders cannot have access to.

Thanks so much for the offer to help. I just did you a mail. You can send your GSM number to me @ heatherobieze@yahoo.com so I can call you.
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by letustalk(m): 11:53am On Sep 08, 2009
@wildone

Hello there, check your mail. Just hit you with my number.
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by letustalk(m): 12:13pm On Sep 08, 2009
@Wildone
Pls confirm that you have gotten it.
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by modath(f): 4:09pm On Sep 08, 2009
@let us talk
Thanks for your assistance,not very many people will volounteer to help someone they aren't close friends with let alone a total stranger!!!!!!!.
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by WildOne(f): 4:36pm On Sep 08, 2009
@ letustalk

Mail recieved. Thanks so much.
Re: My Best Friend Just Lost Her Job. by letustalk(m): 5:34pm On Sep 08, 2009
@Modath
Thanks for the compliments.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Careers That Graduates Of History And International Relation Can Take In Nigeria / 9 Ways To Improve Safety Performance In Your Organization / Top 5 Highest Paying Engineering Jobs.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.