Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,074 members, 7,821,703 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:00 PM

Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern - Religion (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern (164348 Views)

Bishop (dr) Chris Kwakpovwe Of Our Daily Manna Sets Lagos Ablaze With Miracles / Daily Manna Feeding On His Word Daily 2014 / The Rapture Of Abiding Saints In Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:45pm On Dec 08, 2014
♫ Hymn of the Week ♫

SIMPLY TRUSTING EVERYDAY (GHS 22)

1. Simply trusting ev’ry day,
Trusting through a stormy way;
Even when my faith is small,
Trusting Jesus, that is all.

Trusting as the moment fly,
Trusting as the days go by;
Trusting Him whate’er befall,
Trusting Jesus, that is all

2. Brightly doth His Spirit shine
Into this poor heart of mine;
While He leads I cannot fall;

3. Singing if my way be clear;
Praying if the path be drear;
If in danger, for Him call;
Trusting Jesus, that is all

4. Trusting Him while life shall last,
Trusting Him till earth be past;
Till within the jasper wall:

Edgar Page Stites
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:15pm On Dec 08, 2014
‪MBS2014‬ ‪BibleStudy‬ ‪

False Prophets

Click to Connect with the Blessed throng as we study God's word together.

http://webcast.dclmhq.org
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:38pm On Dec 08, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

‪MBS2014‬ ‪BibleStudy‬ ‪

False Prophets

Beware of false prophets!

"For they have healed the hurt of the daughter of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace; when there is no peace".
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:49pm On Dec 08, 2014
Thought for the day:

"All things are ready; believe and receive"
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:19pm On Dec 09, 2014
Daily Manna
Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Day of Atonement

TEXT: LEVITICUS 23:23-32

"Also on the tenth day of this seventh month there shall be a day of atonement: it shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall afflict your souls, and offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD" (Leviticus 23:27)

When we think of atonement, we are apt to think only of what man gains. We must remember what it cost God and His dear Son to redeem man. Let us not forget that the crucifixion of Christ was indeed intended to be for all. It was the most significant exhibition of the love of God. The atonement, for which the cross is the symbol, is wholly ethical in its implications. On the cross, mercy and truth met together, righteousness and peace embraced each other. The blowing of the trumpets represented the preaching of the gospel through which men are called to repentance and to accept the salvation of Christ which was signified by the Day of Atonement. The sound of trumpets at the beginning of the year was meant to call Israelites to shake off spiritual drowsiness and amend their ways.

In the atonement, God has revealed to humanity His saving love. He does not wish to condemn the world but to save it through His Son. The sinner must recognise that he is living under a sentence of death, awaiting the coming judgment. The sinner must look to Jesus as bearing the just penalty for sin on the cross. The sinner must trust that God has accepted this sacrifice on his behalf by raising Jesus from the dead (Romans 10:9). When a sinner abandons all hope of his righteousness before God and trusts in the provision of God in the death and resurrection of Jesus, he finds refuge in Christ. The sinner is now at peace with God. In fact, he is now a ‘new creature’ because Jesus died for the world.

The activity of the church should reflect the harmonious result of the atonement. Similarly, mature believers are to be careful not to offend weaker believers, for whose sake Christ died. Instead, believers are to bear with one another, forgiving one another just as God also forgave them in Christ.

Higher Everyday for Youths - Link: http://highereveryday.dclmhq.org/

Thought for the day: "In the atonement, God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:43pm On Dec 10, 2014
Daily Manna
Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Forget Not

TEXT: LEVITICUS 23:33-44

"That your generations may know that I made the children of Israel to dwell in booths, when I brought them out of the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God" (Leviticus 23:43)

Forgetfulness is an unfortunate condition of the human memory. Unless we have great events recorded as memoirs, and are constantly reminded of them, memories, even of the most celebrated cases that brought blessings our way, soon become faded and in due time, obliterated like footprints in the sandy storm of the desert.

God knew that succeeding generations of the children of Israel might soon forget the great mercies and kindness which He showed to their fathers. Therefore, He took steps to perpetuate the remembrance of His kind deeds to Israel in the wilderness by instituting the Feast of Tabernacles, which was one of three important festivals all males in Israel were obliged to commemorate.

The Feast of Tabernacles was specifically instituted to commemorate Israel’s sojourn in the wilderness when they were safely secured in tents in their journey to the Promised Land. For 40 years in the wilderness, Israel had no comfortable homes, they dwelt in tents, but God was with them to protect them. They planted no corn nor had vineyards but God fed them daily with manna and water out of the rock. Now in the Promised Land, they would dwell in the comfort of their homes and enjoy harvests of corn and of goodly fruits. Such kindness ought not to be forgotten, and for this purpose, the Lord commanded this annual memorial to draw the people’s attention back to God. Today, true Christians owe it a duty to God to constantly remember His kindness in saving them from sin and bringing them into the fellowship of His dear Son.

Life is like a journey through the wilderness. There is no resting place here, and we look forward to seeing our mansions in glory. If we believe in Jesus and follow His way which leads to that better country where there is no pain nor sorrow, hunger nor thirst, sickness nor death, it will sure be ours. Our duty is just to follow and not to forget.

Thought for the day: "Christ’s atonement is as unmerited as it is unforgettable"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:15pm On Dec 10, 2014
Thought for the day:

"Christ’s atonement is as unmerited as it is unforgettable"
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:54pm On Dec 11, 2014
Daily Manna
Thursday, December 11, 2014

Keep Shining

TEXT: LEVITICUS 24:1-9

"Command the children of Israel, that they bring unto thee pure oil olive beaten for the light, to cause the lamps to burn continually" (Leviticus 24:2)

Whitefield was one of the most zealous preachers of the gospel the world has ever seen. Fervent in spirit, instant in season and out of season, he was a burning and shining light that turned thousands to God. Yet, he says, after preaching for thirty years, “Lord, help me to begin to begin.”

The Lord commanded the children of Israel, in our text, to bring in the highest quality of olive oil to cause the lamps in the Tabernacle of the congregation to burn continually. He instructed Aaron, the High Priest to supervise both the quality and quantity of olive oil provided to ensure the fire does not go out, but burn continually upon the pure candlestick before the Lord. In the book of Revelation, Christ explained the mystery of the candlesticks to signify the church of the living God (Revelations 1:20). This clearly shows that the Lord wants His church to be zealous and fervent.

A painted fire cannot warm; a painted banquet cannot satisfy hunger; and a formal religion cannot bring peace to the soul. It is curious and instructive to observe how history repeats itself, and how sameness there is in the human heart in every generation. Many go to church to listen to sermons as a display of rhetorics, and eloquent preachers are cheered with clapping of hands, and stamping of feet. It is almost like visiting the theatres and amusement parks of the world. There is no heat in their religion.

Being members of the established church is not enough, we must have the pure oil and pure fire in our lamps to ever have the hope of eternal life. Christ was a burning and shinning light. He declared: “As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world” (John 9:5). Believers must not be cold and lethargic; we must have the constant supply of the oil of the Spirit in our lives continually till the Lord comes.

Thought for the day: "The church is not a refrigerator but an incubator"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:02pm On Dec 12, 2014
Daily Manna
Friday, December 12, 2014

Shun Blasphemy

TEXT: LEVITICUS 24:10-23

"And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certainly stone him: as well the stranger, as he that is born in the land, when he blasphemeth the name of the LORD, shall be put to death" (Leviticus 24:16)

Some of the most damning words are those we speak when provoked. When spoken against men, the words hurt greatly. They damage relationships, destroy families, and cause division in the church. It is worse when those words are spoken against God. For such is the ultimate expression of bad faith and the Almighty does not take kindly to such conduct.

The Lord had been handing down numerous ordinances to the children of Israel, all comprehensively intended to ensure that they maintained the right relationship with Him. It was at such a time that the son of a woman of Israel, whose father was an Egyptian, had a quarrel with another Israelite. In a fit of fury, he unconscionably left the man he had problems with and began swearing and making blasphemous statements against the God of Israel. Such an offence was a novelty among the people, hence they did not know how to handle it. They arrested the man and locked him up until God directed Moses on the sentence to pass on the offender. For blaspheming against God, the man was sentenced to death. And to underscore the seriousness of his offence, the man was to face public execution by stoning. The whole congregation was to participate in the execution. This sentence was decreed not just for the strangers among the Israelites (as this man who had an Egyptian father), but also for all Israelites. God did not discriminate between the Israelites and non-Israelites. Whoever blasphemed against God would face the music. This was intended to drive the fear of the Lord into all the people.

Blasphemy is a serious offence because it impugns the integrity and sovereignty of God. It speaks ill of God and reduces Him in the esteem of men. It is a breach of the first commandments of God; it takes His name in vain. God is too great and holy to be toyed with. To curse or joke with the name of God is blasphemy. Those who treat the name of God as they do with men are guilty of blasphemy. And every act of blasphemy will attract the severe judgment of God now in this life, and later in eternity. If you have blasphemed God, you must quickly repent, ask Him for forgiveness, and pledge never to dabble in such a sin again.

Thought for the day: "It is damning to venture near the border of blasphemy"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:24pm On Dec 13, 2014
Daily Manna
Saturday, December 13, 2014

Godly or Worldly Wisdom?

TEXT: JOB 32:1-10

"Great men are not always wise: neither do the aged understand judgment" (Job 32:9)

Jewish rabbis agreed that there were two wise men in this world: one was an Israelite, by name, Ahitophel; the other was Balaam, a Gentile. But both were destroyed because there was no God in their wisdom. Men of great age, learning and talents are not necessarily full of wisdom. Even up to this day, not many wise, mighty, or noble in the world have received the clarion call to salvation. On the other hand, the church teems with the “unwise and the foolish” of this world.

The friends of Job had come to visit him when they heard the calamities that lately befell him but none of them could comfort him nor rightly give reasons why his calamities befell him. Although, they all possessed the wise sayings and reasoning of the ancients, they lacked both discernment of the secret plot of the devil against Job, and the way of God, perfectly. Elihu, though younger in age than the others, was more enlightened about the way of God. He distinctly spotted the fault of his friends and also showed the error of Job. This knowledge, he claims was by the inspiration of the Spirit of God (verse 8.)

Old age with accompanying life time experiences is not the only source of knowledge and wisdom. Every person, however, old or learned, that is not taught by the Holy Spirit, is exceeding ignorant and destitute of wisdom concerning divine things.

The foundation of all true wisdom is the knowledge of God. True wisdom is to know the will of God in His word and to do it. The wisdom that comes from God is founded on grace and divine blessedness for which neither age nor education could qualify anyone. Give your life to Jesus today and devote quality time to read, study and meditate on His word for the needed wisdom and divine inspiration.

Thought for the day: "The Word of God is His Wisdom"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:08pm On Dec 13, 2014
Thought for the day:

"The Word of God is His Wisdom"
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:59pm On Dec 14, 2014
Daily Manna
Sunday, December 14, 2014

Speak Out

TEXT: JOB 32:11-22

"Behold, my belly is as wine which hath no vent; it is ready to burst like new bottles" (Job 32:19)

A little lad sat at the lobby in a king’s palace and watched as some of the king’s attendants were conspiring to kill the king. The conspirators knew he was dumb and therefore, did not mind his presence. Knowing what the men were up to, the handicapped child got so infuriated by their mischievous moves and looks that, at length, he voiced out, “Don’t you know he is the king?!” So intense was his emotion that his vocal cord opened instantaneously.

Similarly, Elihu, after patiently listening to the disputations between Job and his friends concerning divine providence, was painfully uneasy and could not hold back his own opinion. Although he had a superior insight, he also erred with the view that Job might be suffering for his sin. But he had some adorable attributes. He had respect for elders; therefore, he waited for his elders to speak till they had exhausted their ideas. He was a good listener. He was prudent – he knew the appropriate time to speak. He was impartial and God-fearing.

Elihu was “full of matters” and was constrained to speak. Oh that we, who have the truth that sets free, are so constrained to speak out in these days of error. We have listened to and watched the prevailing ignorance even among religious front-liners, intellectuals, elders of the land and political leaders. We have found that truly, “Great men are not always wise: neither do the aged understand judgment”. But the grace of God has endowed us with the secret of abundant life. We cannot afford to watch on as ignorance drags others to eternal perdition. We who know the terror of God upon sinners must persuade men. The love of Christ should constrain us to open up and speak the saving truth.

In declaring the gospel, we must, like Elihu, be filled with a sense of accountability to God. We should neither flatter men of influence and wealth nor excuse the poor and suffering.

Thought for the day: "Concerning gospel preaching, sealed lips often signify absence of fire in the heart"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:25pm On Dec 15, 2014
Daily Manna
Monday, December 15, 2014

Vain Struggle

TEXT: JOB 33:1-13

"Why dost thou strive against him? for he giveth not account of any of his matters" (Job 33:13)

Man has displayed so much ingenuity in his creative ability over the years. From the beautiful works of Arts, to sometimes astonishing scientific and technological inventions, man has fully explored the creative ability with which he was endowed. These scientific breakthroughs have been designed to serve man, advance his course and make life better and easier for him. There are a few things to note here. No time has man’s invention risen to challenge or question his claim and authority over it. When his invention fails to function the way it was intended, it often leads to chaos, calamity and catastrophe.

Elihu, in our passage, wonders why man struggles against his Maker and questions His sovereignty. God is the Creator. He made man for His purpose. Though man was not made a robot (a machine without a mind and a will of his own), for him to be able to attain to his best and enjoy all the provisions of God, he has to follow God’s laid down principles.

Unfortunately, man has, over the years, rebelled against God, challenging His sovereignty and questioning His authority. No wonder our world is in disorder! No wonder there is chaos, calamity and catastrophe. No wonder we look for peace and behold we get confusion, insecurity and apprehension.

Man has malfunctioned, questioning God’s authority, striving against His will in our lives and living in disobedience to His word. The simple remedy is for man to retrace his steps back to God through repentance from sin and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. That is the only time we can know peace.

Thought for the day: "Sin is a malfunction in man and will only result in disaster"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:54pm On Dec 15, 2014
♫ Hymn of the Week ♫

I’LL TELL THE WORLD (GHS 105)

1. I’ll tell the world that I’m a Christian -
I’m not ashamed His name to bear;
I’ll tell the world that I’m a Christian
I’ll take Him with me anywhere.
I’ll tell the world how Jesus saved me,
And how He gave me a life brand-new;
And I know that if you trust Him
That all He gave me He’ll give to you,
I’ll tell the world that He’s my Saviour,
No other one could love me so;
My life, my all is His forever,
And where He leads me I will go.

2. I’ll tell the world that He is coming -
It may be near or far away;
But we must live as if His coming
Would be tomorrow or today.
For when He comes and life is over,
For those who love Him there’s more to be;
Eyes have never seen the wonders
That He’s preparing for you and me.
O tell the world that you’re a Christian
Be not ashamed His name to bear;
O tell the world that you’re a Christian,
And take Him with you ev’ry where.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:03pm On Dec 15, 2014
OLAADEGBU:
‪MBS2014‬ ‪BibleStudy‬ ‪

False Prophets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHM5vdvXZPU
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:09pm On Dec 16, 2014
Daily Manna
Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Be Attentive!

TEXT: JOB 33:14-33

"For God speaketh once, yea twice, yet man perceiveth it not. In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumberings upon the bed" (Job 33:14,15)

A management consultancy and training outfit, in a professional effort to justify the importance of staff training by employers, had this maxim in their manual: “An ignorant person is a dangerous person…but if you don’t train him, don’t blame him”. Does the omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient God ever leave humanity in their ignorance and then turn around to judge them? The answer is NO.

God never leaves man to wallow in his ignorance. He has various ways by which He reaches out to us with His message and instruction. He warns through His chosen prophets, pastors and other church leaders today. He speaks directly to man in dreams and visions “That he may withdraw man from his purpose and hide pride from man (verse 17). Yet, if man “perceiveth it not, he is chastened also with pain upon his bed and the multitude of his bones with strong pain”.

When all His entreaties fail, God then uses chastisement: “So that his life abhorreth bread, and his soul dainty meat… his flesh is consumed away”. Have you allowed yourself to get to this level? Jesus Christ came to the world to give His life a ransom for many (Matthew 20:28). He is the acceptable ransom to plead your case before God.

You do not need to wait until pain and anguish come upon you. God is speaking to you, this time, not through dreams and visions, but through His word. Please, hear Him. Even so, many people are so dull of hearing that when God speaks to them through various means, they hardly hear. They also lack understanding of the word that they hardly appreciate whatever they read and hear whenever it is preached to them. Your eyes and ears of understanding can be opened today if you will come to God in earnest prayer.

Thought for the day: "The dog that will be lost can hardly hear the hunter’s whistle"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:39am On Dec 18, 2014
Daily Manna
Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Just Reward

TEXT: JOB 34:1-17

"For the work of a man shall he render unto him, and cause every man to find according to his ways. Yea, surely God will not do wickedly, neither will the Almighty pervert judgment" (Job 34:11,12)

There can be no better way to explain the faithfulness of God in giving commensurate reward to men in all ages than the way Elihu presented it in the passage we are considering today. Elihu, one of the friends of Job eulogized God as not only being faithful but just. Miscarriage of justice sometimes occurs in the earthly courts but can never happen in the courts of heaven. The Bible affirms that every man that had ever lived in this world will appear before God to give account for deeds done in the body and “every transgression and disobedience will receive a just recompense of reward” (Hebrews 2:2).

In the inspired scriptures, justice and judgment are scarcely to be distinguished from each other. Judgment is the application of equity to moral situations and may be favourable or unfavourable according to whether the one under examination has been equitable or inequitable in heart and conduct. When the destruction of Sodom was announced, Abraham interceded for the righteous within the city, reminding God “that be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked... shall not the Judge of all the earth do right” (Genesis 18:25).

Our Lord Jesus was also consistent in affirming the justice of God when He gave a glimpse of the manner the entire world will be judged. “And before him shall be gathered all nations... And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left” (Matthew 25:32,33).

It is important to note however that Elihu emphasized spiritual truth without comprehending the situation Job found himself. The truth of the word of God must be emphasized but not without proper investigation into the facts of issues we are commenting on. “Prove all things; hold fast that which is good” (1 Thessalonians 5:21).

Thought for the day: "It is wise to think well before jumping to conclusions"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:38pm On Dec 18, 2014
Daily Manna
Thursday, December 18, 2014

Don't Despair

TEXT: JOB 34:18–30

"For he will not lay upon man more than right; that he should enter into judgment with God" (Job 34:23)

Job’s suffering and excruciating pain emanating from the loss of his belongings and afflictions to his flesh were legendary. Equally noteworthy was his attempt to vindicate himself of any wrongdoing. But it was easier for friends and neighbours alike, who heard Job complaining, to either rebuke him or seek to correct him, than to go through same experience.

Elihu appealed directly to Job himself. Could he suppose that God was like those earthly princes who hate right, who are unfit to rule, and prove the scourges of mankind? It was daring presumption to condemn God’s proceedings as Job has done by his discontents. Elihu suggested diverse considerations to Job, to produce in him high thoughts of God, and so to persuade him to submit.

Job often wished to plead his cause before God directly. Elihu asked: “To what purpose?” All is well that God does, and will be found so. What can make those uneasy whose souls dwell at ease in God? All the smiles of this world cannot quieten those at whom God frowns.

We are only fortunate to know how Job’s case arose and who exactly was behind his suffering. Applying the lessons to ourselves today, how far can we go suffering before we rail at, abuse or condemn what/whoever causes our problems? Are we quick to complain rather than to pray? Do we seek God’s face for explanations to the unknown? Or, as counsellors, are we quick to condemn rather than to console a believer undergoing suffering? We will do well to develop the right attitude, either to personal anguish or to others in distress. The good Lord will open our eyes, ears and understanding to give the right interpretations to His dealings with us always.

Thought for the day: "Trust God in pleasure and in pain"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:34pm On Dec 18, 2014
Thought for the day:

"Trust God in pleasure and in pain"
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:20pm On Dec 19, 2014
Daily Manna
Friday, December 19, 2014

Look Inward

TEXT: JOB 34:31-37

"That which I see not teach thou me: if I have done iniquity, I will do no more" (Job 34:32)

The saying goes that ‘life is not a bed of rose.’ Trial often comes when we can see no particular sin which has led to it and no special reason why we should be afflicted more than others.

The principal character in our narrative for meditation today, Job, challenges us to put up the right attitude when we are going through some unpleasant and inexplicable experiences like he did. Although pressured by his wife to curse God, accused unjustly by his friends, despised by his neighbours and afflicted by Satan, Job, still unable to explain the cause of his predicament, decided to reflect on his life and was quick to repent, confessing to God that if he had done any sin, he would not continue in the unrighteousness (verse 32). He could not point to any outright wrongdoing in his life, yet he was willing to repent.

Rather than murmur or accuse God wrongly, the first step is to look inward and look backward, then to look upward. We look inward to search our heart whether we have done anything wrong. We look backward to consider what led us to where we are now - mistakes made, wrong steps taken, reckless or careless decisions made. Then, we look upward to heaven to plead for God’s mercy and favour to bring us out of the affliction.

Do you attempt to blame others for what you are going through now? Are you experiencing some things you cannot just explain? Before you begin to accuse men or God, why not look inward, look backward and in true repentance, look upward.

Thought for the day: "Affliction makes the wise to reflect on his ways"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:46pm On Dec 20, 2014
Daily Manna
Saturday, December 20, 2014

Catch Them Young

TEXT: LUKE 18:9-17

"And they brought unto him also infants, that he would touch them: but when his disciples saw it, they rebuked them" (Luke 18:15)

A young mother once asked a Christian counsellor, “When should I start training my child for Christ?” “How old is he?” asked the counsellor. “Five”, she replied. The counsellor said to her: “Sister, hurry, you have already lost five years”. How marvellous it would be if all parents saw the need to present their children early to Christ; it will render unnecessary the need for iron-hand training few years later.

In verse 15 of our text, we see some wise parents bring their children to the Saviour to touch and to bless them. What a splendid decision that was to introduce the child to Christ very early in life. Surprisingly, however, the disciples would not allow the children to come. They probably thought children are not called, they are too young to need a Saviour, but the Saviour interposed by saying, “Let the children come to me and do not keep them away…” (verse 16). It is the desire of Christ that little children should be brought to Him and every Christian parent should contend against and overcome those elements that seek to influence the child’s heart in the opposite way. The heart of a child is delicate and vulnerable in this wild and wicked world. If Christ be not his Friend, he has no friend that can aid, protect and keep him from the snares of the devil.

The greater majority of children in all places today grow up into adolescence and young adulthood without Christ. No wonder crime rate, immorality and rebellion remain unabated all over the place. Only a few children are put under the care of the Saviour by serious-minded believing parents.

Children who have been led to Christ early in life, who became genuinely converted and have remained devoted to God usually grow up to be mightily used of Him. The parents of Timothy in the New Testament, and those of Matthew Henry, Jonathan Edwards and many others cannot all be wrong. Lead your children to make a definite decision for Christ early.

Thought for the day: "Jesus loves little children; present yours to Him"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:58pm On Dec 21, 2014
Daily Manna
Sunday, December 21, 2014

Surrender All

TEXT: LUKE 18:18–30

"Then Peter said, Lo, we have left all, and followed thee" (Luke 18:28)

Man’s attitude is always to make a big deal of the little he does.

This religious ruler came to Jesus to seek the way to eternal life. What he got shocked him. He knew the commandments and declared gleefully: “All these have I kept from my youth up.” Like every self-righteous person, he thought of how great he must be standing before God. As a keeper of the law, he thought the kingdom of God must be his already. But a shocker awaited him. With excitement, he waited to know “the one thing”, he lacked. If he had been able to do all the others, this one thing won’t be a big problem. He must have felt sure that he would pass the test. Then the shocker came: “Sell all that thou hast and come, follow me.” He became very sorrowful because he possessed great material wealth.

Many of us professing Christians are like this ruler. We make much noise of our Christianity while really we are only playing religion. We do the convenient and leave the needful undone. What does God want? To enter into the kingdom, we cannot hold anything away from the Lord. We can’t set boundaries for the Lord. God wants “all” not “a part”. It is either all or none. He wants the best of you and not the worthless.

Examine your dealings with the Lord. What have you given to the Lord? What is it that you are holding back? The Lord’s conditions are: one, we should not be possessed by our possessions – money, gold, spouse, children, career, etc. Two, we need to share what we have with others who are less privileged. Three, lay up our treasures in heaven. Four, take up our cross and follow Him. If we do these, with God’s grace upon our lives, we shall be accounted worthy to enter into the Kingdom of God to live with Him eternally.

Thought for the day: "Entrance into heaven demands more than mere religion"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:53pm On Dec 22, 2014
Daily Manna
Monday, December 22, 2014

Cry Aloud

TEXT: LUKE 18:31-43

"And he cried, saying, Jesus, thou Son of David, have mercy on me" (Luke 18:38.)

In her song, “Mercy Said No,” Cece Winans captured the determination of a desperate heart: “Mercy said no, I’m not going to let you go; I’m not going to let you slip away; you don’t have to be afraid; Mercy said no; sin will never take control; life and death stood face to face; darkness tried to steal my heart away; thank you Jesus, mercy said no.” Indeed, the mercy of God has always availed for those who believe in the power of God to do all things.

The blind man in our text knew he had to do everything to receive his sight at that point in time. It was the most desperate moment in his life. He was sure that if God’s mercy joined his faith, he would receive his needed miracle. This was why he refused to be silenced by the crowd that shouted at him to keep his peace and to stop disturbing the Master. He increased the tempo of his cry. His unusual cry attracted Jesus’ attention. And then HE STOOD and commanded Bartimaeus to be brought to him.

The passage today has great lessons for us. One, the blind man was at the right place at the right time. Two, strong determination can draw the attention of God to our lives. Three, when our faith meets God’s mercy, we receive the best from Him. Four, we must always endeavour to be present in places where God does His work.

The passage today tells us that we need to be desperate to receive from God. Many of those who received healing or other blessings were desperate about their need. The woman with the issue of blood waded through the crowd to enable her touch the hem of Jesus’ garment; the friends of the paralytic man had to tear the roof to lower the man into the room where Jesus was; the Centurion’s servant got healed because of much pestering of Jesus by his boss. And it took Zacchaeus climbing a tree to receive pardon and become a friend of Jesus.

What is your need this hour? You must persevere in prayer and cry desperately for your miracle. And the Lord will ‘stand still’ for you.

Thought for the day: "Desperate prayers invariably attract heavenly intervention"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:26pm On Dec 22, 2014
Thought for the day:

"Desperate prayers invariably attract heavenly intervention"
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:13pm On Dec 23, 2014
Daily Manna
Tuesday, December 23, 2014

True Repentance

TEXT: LUKE 19:1-10

"And he made haste, and came down, and received him joyfully. And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord; Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold" (Luke 19:6,8.)

The decisions man makes in life determine his future. His determination to do the right thing at the right time brings fortune across his path. On the other hand, his refusal to make the best use of the opportunities available to him makes his life miserable.

The case of Zacchaeus is an indication that God will save the vilest of men, provided he grabs the opportunity of salvation offered by God, through the sacrificial death of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Zacchaeus was the chief among the publicans (or tax collectors) of his day. He had fed fat on corruption which made him very rich. However, when he heard that Jesus would pass through Jericho, his place of residence, he made up his mind to see Jesus and receive a new life from Him.

Despite the seeming obstacle that stood in the way of his ambition, he was determined to brace all odds and go all the way to achieve his goal. The crowd was large and his stature would constitute a hindrance but he climbed a sycamore tree that stood strategically along the path Jesus was to pass. As the Lord saw him on the tree and invited him down, he promptly obeyed and received Him joyfully. He did not stop there, he also made up his mind to correct his past: “…if I have taken anything from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold” (verse 8b).

Zacchaeus’ commitment shows the meaning of true repentance. He who truly wants to be with God eternally, should not only repent of his sin but should also be prepared to do all his restitutions. Repentance without restitution is like a man who accidentally slips into a pool of mire, rolls over and gets his entire body messed up. Although he manages to get up, removes his dirty clothe and washes himself with soap and sponge, instead of discarding the messed clothe and putting on a clean one, he wears the same. At that state, it is obvious he still remains in his mess, if not a greater one. Is your repentance genuine?

Thought for the day: "Repentance without restitution may not guarantee eternal life"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:29pm On Dec 23, 2014
♫ Hymn of the Week ♫

THERE SHALL BE SHOWERS OF BLESSING (GHS 151)

1. “There shall be showers of blessing:”
This is the promise of love;
There shall be seasons refreshing,
Sent from the Saviour above.

Showers of blessing,
Showers of blessing we need;
Mercy drops round us are falling,
But for the showers we plead

2. “There shall be showers of blessing:”
Precious reviving again;
Over the hills and the valleys,
Sound of abundance of rain.

3. “There shall be showers of blessing:”
Send them upon us, O Lord!
Grant to us now a refreshing;
Come, and now honour Thy Word.

4. “There shall be showers of blessings:”
Oh, that today they might fall,
Now, as to God we’re confessing,
Now as on Jesus we call!

5. “There shall be showers of blessings:”
If we but trust and obey;
There shall be seasons refreshing,
If we let God have His way.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:09am On Dec 24, 2014
Daily Manna
Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Saved to Serve

TEXT: LUKE 19:11-27

"And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come" (Luke 19:13)

God possesses double claim to the life of all those who are born again. In the first place, He created them in His own image, and again He redeems them from sin and Satan and grants them eternal life (He is their God and Father by redemption). The obligation thrown upon the redeemed, therefore, is to worship God and serve Him all the days of their life.

From our passage today, we read that a “certain noble” travelling to a “far country”, called His servants and gave them “talents” expecting them to be faithfully engaged and productive during His absence. Upon His return, He would give them rewards. The parable tells of what Jesus’ followers were to be doing during the period between His departure and His second coming. It shows that we are to be occupied with the work of evangelism. When Jesus commanded us to occupy till He comes, what He meant was that we must see the work of preaching the gospel as more important than any other job on earth. Having been redeemed, we owe it a duty to our generation to preach the gospel of salvation so that they can be redeemed from the coming judgment. We are to spare no effort at reaching those on their way to hell through one-on-one sharing of the good news, distribution of Christian literature, video and audio materials and other means by which they can be reached.

We have been given excellent resources to build and expand God’s Kingdom. Jesus expects us to use the talents He has given us to enlarge His Kingdom. While awaiting the coming of the Kingdom of God in glory, we must do His work.

Thought for the day: "Having enlisted in the Lord’s army, are you actively serving Him?"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:45pm On Dec 25, 2014
Daily Manna
Thursday, December 25, 2014

You are Free!

TEXT: LUKE 19:28-40

"Saying, Go ye into the village over against you; in the which at your entering ye shall find a colt tied, whereon yet never man sat: loose him, and bring him hither. And if any man ask you, Why do ye loose him? thus shall ye say unto him, Because the Lord hath need of him" (Luke 19:30,31)

Well said the Jewish Rabbi in ancient days: “If the sea were ink and the world parchment, it would never serve to describe the praises of liberty”.

From our text, Christ sent His disciples to a particular village to loose a colt (young ass) tied and unable to regain its freedom. Miraculously, the owners of the colt dropped their objections and claim over the animal as soon as they were told that “the Lord has need of it”. It was upon this young ass, “whereon never man sat”, that Christ rode during His triumphant entry into Jerusalem with pomp and glory. The multitudes, on seeing King Jesus ride into town, welcomed Him with songs of praise, rejoicing for the mighty works they had seen. This young ass was tied, limited to one place and unable to get its freedom to move around.

The want of freedom has been mostly the cause of misery to nations in every age. Every reader of the Bible will remember the sorrow and anguish of the children of Israel, when they were bondmen in Egypt, or under the Babylonian captivity. Surely, no misery is certainly as great as the misery of slavery.

So are many who, today, are in Satan’s bondage. They are so tied to different kinds of sins that they sometimes cry: “O wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from the body of this death?” Christ paid all our debts of sin by allowing the chastisement of our peace to be laid on Him. He satisfied every demand of the law against us to the uttermost and cleared us from every imputation of sin by becoming sin for us. As our Champion, He spoiled principalities and powers, and made a show of them openly at Calvary. He has purchased the full right of redemption for us. All we have to do is to manifest faith in His finished work at Calvary and trust His Word which is able to set us free from every bondage of sin, self and Satan.

Thought for the day: "No one knows the full value of freedom until he loses it?"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:43am On Dec 27, 2014
Daily Manna
Friday, December 26, 2014

Full of Compassion

TEXT: LUKE 19:41-48

"And when he was come near, he beheld the city, and wept over it" (Luke 19:41)

A father had a son over whom he had laboured greatly. He provided all that the son needed, sent him to the best schools and invested greatly in estates to prepare him for a better future. Then one day, while looking through his son’s room, he saw strange substances and documents. His son was a cocaine user and a member of a deadly secret cult. As he considered the implications of this discovery - a wasted future, investment gone down the drain, lost privilege, and so on - he wept. The boy wasted his life because he could not appreciate or discern the heritage he had.

Jesus looked at the children of Israel and saw how they wasted their heritage. Israel is God’s special and peculiar vineyard, fenced for protection, planted as the choicest vine with tower and winepress (Isaiah 5:1-7). The law and prophets came from them.

As Jesus looked at Jerusalem and the pain and anguish that was going to befall them, He wept. He saw pain instead of peace, gloom instead of gain and blight instead of blessings. He said: “If thou hadst known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes” (Luke 19:42). Many people like Jerusalem waste their lives, golden opportunities and the things that belong to their peace and then attract destruction.

Maybe, you have gone away from the Lord already, despite all that He has invested in you or reserved for you in glory. You need to retrace your steps back to Calvary. If, as a prodigal son, you have wandered away from the sheepfold, today you can return to the Chief Shepherd and all that the enemy has taken away from you will be restored. And you can pledge to live the rest of your life for God, while expecting to be with Him in eternity for greater, richer rewards.

Thought for the day: "Be careful so that you will not cry, "had I known."?"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:37am On Dec 27, 2014
Daily Manna
Saturday, December 27, 2014

Glorious Hope

TEXT: PSALM 119:113-120

"I hate vain thoughts: but thy law do I love" (Psalm 119:113)

In his expression of hope, Habakkuk, one of the minor prophets in Israel, said: “Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meet... Yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will joy in the God of my salvation” (Habakkuk 3:17,18). “While there is life, there is hope,” goes an old saying. As long as there is hope of life, man will part with anything to save or prolong his life. He will cling to the hope of survival even in spite of all the evidence that he is not going to live. That is how important hope is to the continued existence of man. The natural man’s hope is all in this life, but it is all a fleeting, dismal hope.

There is a hope that is founded on the truth and unfailing word of God. That is the good hope, which is the hope that never disappoints. This is the same hope expressed by King David in our text. It is a hope that keeps you pure and separate from sin. Those who do not have God, do not have this hope. The people that have it are genuinely converted, for without this hope, the pain of persecution, trials and misunderstanding would have been unbearable.

The Bible is the word of God and a Book of hope. It promises us eternal life through faith in the atoning sacrifice of the Lord Jesus Christ and depicts the wonderful reward that awaits all those who believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour.

Hope is essential to our perseverance, our getting through tough times in life; for without hope, we soon give up. A trust in God is the essential ingredient to build up our hope. This trust grows in us as we learn more of the promises He has given to us in His word. Give your life to Jesus and refuse to take it back and study daily in His word, fully trusting in Him to perform what He has promised.

Thought for the day: "Salvation is the route to the harbor of Good Hope"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:21pm On Dec 27, 2014
Thought for the day:

"Salvation is the route to the harbor of Good Hope"
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:16am On Dec 28, 2014
Daily Manna
Sunday, December 28, 2014

Our Supreme Court

TEXT: PSALM 119:121-128

"Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way" (Psalm 119:128)

“And differing judgments serve but to declare that truth lies somewhere, if we knew but where.” So wrote William Cowper, the British poet, in his poem, “Hope”. Yes, differing judgments will always exist among men because even the best of brains suffers partial understanding. And most of men’s opinions are stained with ignorance and limitations. How then can mortal man search out the whole truth in every sphere? This prerogative belongs to the omniscient God, Who also has revealed His mind to us in His word.

God’s word is perfect and far superior to the views of our best thinkers. Lovers of truth, like David, cannot but fall in love with this eternal word. “Therefore, I love thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold”, was his remark. It was by the guidance of this word that David got a right standing with God. He was certainly buoyed by his righteousness to confidently enter “boldly unto the throne of grace” and sought to obtain mercy and grace in time of need. He sought divine intervention against the evils of wicked men who flagrantly flouted God’s word.

That David was truly committed to the word of God is evident in his declaration: “Therefore, I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way.” To him, God’s word, like the Supreme Court of a nation, has the final ruling on every matter. He held the whole word to be inerrant and did not pick and choose from it nor make it a subject for debate.

David’s attitude here is instructive for every Christian believer. We have to love God and His word more than earthly treasures. This will translate to living a saintly life in accordance with God’s righteous standard. In our decisions – in every area of life – God’s word should be our reference point as well as the highest and final court in every argument.

Thought for the day: "If God said it – it doesn’t matter who does not believe – it is right!"

See more at:

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (52) (Reply)

MY Experience With The Supernatural, Ghost And Spirits Do Exist. / Synagogue Church Of All Nations Building Collapses (Picture) / Issues About Sex In Dream, Spirit Wife, Spirit Husband, Spirit Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 167
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.