Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,102 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:06 PM

Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern - Religion (45) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern (164383 Views)

Bishop (dr) Chris Kwakpovwe Of Our Daily Manna Sets Lagos Ablaze With Miracles / Daily Manna Feeding On His Word Daily 2014 / The Rapture Of Abiding Saints In Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:16am On Sep 16, 2016
Daily Manna
Friday September 16, 2016

In Season, Out Of Season

TEXT: LEVITICUS 10:12-20

"And Aaron said unto Moses, Behold, this day have they offered their sin offering and their burnt offering before the LORD; and such things have befallen me: and if I had eaten the sin offering today, should it have been accepted in the sight of the LORD? And when Moses heard that, he was content" (Leviticus 10:19,20).

In his book, "70 X 7: The Freedom of Forgiveness", David Ugsberger told a story of General William Booth, the founder of the Salvation Army. When he lost his sight, his son, Bramwell, was given a difficult task of telling him there was no recovery. Booth asked: "Do you mean I am blind?" His son replied, "I hear we must contemplate that". Booth continued, "I shall never see your face again?" Bramwell replied again: "No, probably not in this world". General Booth finally said: "I have done what I could for God and for His people with my eyes. Now I shall do what I can for Him without my eyes". That was a man who was ready to serve God both in the moment of good health and affliction.

In our text, Aaron had earlier lost his two older sons, Nadab and Abihu, who had paid dearly with their lives for disobeying God by offering strange fire unto Him. It was in this mournful situation that Moses tried to encourage Aaron and his other two sons, Eleazar and Ithamar, to continue with their God-assigned responsibilities as priests, but they refused.

Reacting to this, Moses, though the meekest of all men, was angry with them for disobeying and dishonouring God by refusing to carry out the sacrifice. However, Aaron thought contrary. Though he knew God was just for punishing the iniquity of his sons, he was downcast with their death and was not in the right mood to carry on with his priestly duty at that moment, because he believed such sacrifice would not be accepted. With this explanation, the "holy anger" of Moses was therefore, pacified.

Believers should learn from this. Like Moses, we should reason with people, be fair but firm in our judgments. Also, before taking decisions, salient issues should be considered to avoid making judgments that may cause further harm than good. However, when wronged, forgiveness is paramount.

Bible Reading in one Year: PROVERBS 1 - 3

Higher Everyday for Youths - Link: http://highereveryday.dclmhq.org/

Thought for the day: "To err is human; to forgive is divine"

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:54am On Sep 17, 2016
Daily Manna
Saturday September 17, 2016

Love Your Enemies

TEXT: LUKE 6:27-36

"But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you" (Luke 6:27).

Peter Miller, an American gospel preacher,who lived in Pennsylvania, United States, during the American Revolution was said to have travelled seventy miles on foot to plead for the life of Michael Wittman, a man who did everything to oppose and humiliate him. Wittman had ran foul of the law. He was arrested for treason and sentenced to death.

However, Miller, who enjoyed the friendship of George Washington, then President of United States, travelled seventy miles to ask for pardon for his antagonist. Washington said: "No, Peter. I can't grant you the life of your friend". The old preacher exclaimed: "He's the bitterest enemy I have!" Washington cried: "What? You've walked seventy miles to save the life of an enemy? That puts the matter in different light. I'll grant your pardon". And he did. Since then, Miller and Wittman were no longer enemies but friends.

In our text, Jesus emphasised the essence of love. The Jews despised the Romans for being oppressive. They knew God's commandment regarding love for one's neighbour, but their teachers taught them to hate their enemies and express affection only to those who love them. However, Jesus told them that they must love their enemies. Though difficult because of the hurt, it is a necessity for Christ's followers to love everyone, especially their enemies. They must not retaliate when assaulted. They must be generous to others; not selfish.

God is kind to everyone, no matter man's attitude towards Him. Therefore, He expects Christians to behave same way and show that they are His true children. As God's offspring, give to others as though you are giving to God. Do not retaliate when attacked; give freely to those who ask for help and treat others the way you wish to be treated. This will mark you out as a distinctive child of God.

Bible Reading in one Year: PROVERBS 4 - 6

Thought for the day: "The highest proof of Christian faith is love"

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:24pm On Sep 18, 2016
Daily Manna
Sunday September 18, 2016

An Inward Look, Please!

TEXT: LAMENTATIONS 1:12-22

"Let all their wickedness come before thee; and do unto them, as thou hast done unto me for all my transgressions: for my sighs are many, and my heart is faint" (Lamentations 1:22).

At a certain time, Jerusalem's sin became very grievous. She became inwardly perverse; unclean as a menstrous woman. She had digressed to an evil heart of wickedness which was now known to all, causing people to turn away from her.

Our text opens with a desperate cry for compassion; confessions were made. She confessed that her calamity led to her divine punishment. Nevertheless, she cried out from a heart of sorrow over her past transgressions. She talked about "fire into [her] bones". God's chastisement had subdued the inhabitants of the city. Her sons were woven into a yoke that was laid upon her neck. The young men had either died in war or had been taken into captivity. There was no relief from the anguish that the people were suffering. They were chocked with tears and no one came to comfort them.

However, they did not just bemoaned their woeful state and hopelessness, they also acknowledged their rebellious attitude.

Many believers are passing through needless fire of afflictions occasioned by their own errors. At some point, they carelessly allowed their robe of righteousness to be tainted by the deceitfulness of the devil. Unfortunately, many of those in distress feign ignorance of the source of their calamity. Jerusalem realised and recognised that her sinful state was the source of her ordeal. She also became conscious that she was serving a divine punishment. This provoked the beginning of her recovery.

It is said that when an adult falls, he looks back to see what caused the fall; but when a child falls, he looks ahead. Take a scrutinous look at yourself. Where and why have you fallen? Be honest to make amends where necessary and strive to live a righteous life.

Bible Reading in one Year: PROVERBS 7 - 8

Thought for the day: "Delay in making amends could cause unmitigated calamities"

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:00am On Sep 19, 2016
Daily Manna
Monday September 19, 2016

As He That Serveth

TEXT: TITUS 1:1-9

"Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness; In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began" (Titus 1:1,2).

Words are direct reflection of thoughts. They are the overflow of issues processed in the heart. There is no spontaneous in-road to destiny. The journey to destiny starts from the heart. Speech, conduct or behaviour is an expression of one's internal dynamics. Except the heart is carefully structured under God's guidance to shapen pertinent words and reaction, an otherwise glorious destiny might be subverted.

Paul the apostle had a fixed purpose in life. His thoughts were in tandem with his pursuit in life and what he said reflected his target. In our text today, he carefully chose his words. He began by saying that he was a servant of God, personally commissioned by Jesus. He talked about the blessed hope of Christians to live beyond the termination of this present sinful world. He also pointed out that the basis of the existence of the world is to prepare ourselves for eternal dwelling.

Since the entire life of Christians was planned before the world's creation, we can correctly assume that it was never in God's plan for this world to be eternal. In His eternal existence, the creation of the world was not meant to be the ideal resting place for those who, through faith, would transit into eternal dwelling with Him. Paul emphasised that God "cannot lie". Since He is the Omniscient being who originated all things, He has no reason to lie. It is thus impossible to lie to Himself.

Real believers in Christ are slaves to God's will. This is opposed to slavery to sin. All Christians should give themselves as slaves for God's work in this world. When one becomes a Christian, he begins to work the will of the One who sent him forth into the world. Our faith moves us to respond to the truth of the gospel and brings our lives into agreement with the will of God.

Bible Reading in one Year: PROVERBS 9 - 11

Thought for the day: "Our mental inclination is the navigator of our life's destination"

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:40am On Sep 20, 2016
Daily Manna
Tuesday September 20, 2016

Speak Out

TEXT: 2 KINGS 5:1-6

"And the Syrians had gone out by companies, and had brought away captive out of the land of Israel a little maid; and she waited on Naaman's wife. And she said unto her mistress, Would God my lord were with the prophet that is in Samaria! for he would recover him of his leprosy" (2 Kings 5:2,3).

A song writer, moved by the inspiration of the Holy Ghost, scripted, "Make me a channel of blessing today, make me a channel of blessing I pray; My life possessing, my service blessing, make me a channel of blessing today."

Naaman, captain of the Syrian army, was a great man who had accomplished many things; but he was a leper. He may have sought healing from various quarters to no avail. Eventually, a young girl who was captured from Israel and made a maid of his wife later brought the useful information that got him healed. The faith of the little maid led to the conversion of a renowned warriors of Syria who later testified that there is only one God. Her captivity into Syria was a blessing in disguise.

This is a benefit of good upbringing. Though in a strange land, the damsel knew the potency of the God of Israel. As a young girl taken forcefully out of her country, she could have lived in fear and perpetual agony. But she knew that the God of Israel is Omniscient and Omnipresent, and was not timid to speak out the truth. She bore no grudges against Naaman whose troops captured her; rather, her intervention to his sickness caused a great change in Syria as confessions were alluded to the matchless power of the true God.

Likewise, we must emulate the boldness of the maid and declare to people that the only escape route out of their problems is Jesus Christ. We must not be intimidated by oppositions around. At all times, our prayers must be to be a channel of blessing to others. Through our prompt intervention, deliverance could be wrought in the lives of hopeless and helpless folks. We must awake and shake off the dust of lethargy and lend a helping hand to the dying.

Bible Reading in one Year: PROVERBS 12 - 14

Thought for the day: "Gospel duty demands a lifeline for the perishing"

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:22am On Sep 21, 2016
Daily Manna
Wednesday September 21, 2016

His Acceptable Sacrifice

TEXT: HEBREWS 9:11-23

"How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?" (Hebrews 9:14).

David Livingstone, a great missionary to Africa, attempted to compare the effort he put into preaching the gospel in Africa with the sacrifice Jesus made to redeem mankind from eternal damnation and concluded that there was no ground for comparison.

He said, "People thought of the sacrifice I made in spending most of my life in Africa. Can that be called a sacrifice which simply paid back a small part of the great debt owed to our God, which we can never fully repay? Is that sacrifice which brings its own reward of the consciences of doing good, peace of mind and a bright hope of a glorious destiny hereafter? Away with such thought! It is emphatically no sacrifice. It's rather a privilege: I never made a sacrifice. Of this, we ought not talk when we remember the great sacrifice He made when He left His Father's Throne to give Himself for us".

The sacrifice of Jesus Christ cannot be better explained. He paid the final and ever efficacious price for the redemption of mankind without spot or any sinful stain in His life. By implication, His blood is sufficient to purge the conscience from dead works. It reaches the soul and conscience. The blood is also sufficient to enable us serve the living God, not only by purging that guilt which separates God and the sinner, but in sanctifying and renewing the soul through the gracious influences of the Holy Spirit.

Conclusively, Christ became the mediator of the New Testament which is anchored in His shed blood. This brought about the universal atonement that redeemed mankind from their transgressions. It also qualifies those who are effectually called to receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Bible Reading in one Year: PROVERBS 15 - 17

Thought for the day: "Christ is the qualifier of the unqualified"

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:30am On Sep 23, 2016
Daily Manna
Thursday September 22, 2016

A Privilege Misplaced

TEXT: 1 KINGS 11:14-25

"And the LORD stirred up an adversary unto Solomon, Hadad the Edomite: he was of the king's seed in Edom. And he was an adversary to Israel all the days of Solomon, beside the mis- chief that Hadad did: and he abhorred Israel, and reigned over Syria" (1 Kings 11:14,25).

A prominent businessman attended several meetings organized by a minister and at the end gave the following account: "I have enjoyed all the meetings this week, but I am sorry I attended them!" "Why?" asked the astonished minister. "Here's why", he explained, "These meetings have reminded me afresh that I have missed God's best for my life. God called me to Africa. I intended to answer the call, so I began to earn money for my passage and outfit. I earned more and more money. Today, I am the owner of a large business concern. I have everything money can buy, a beautiful home, lovely wife, and children. However, down in my heart, there is a great void. My life had been a failure, not from the world's stand point, but from God's point of view!"

Our text gives a picture of the last days of Solomon. No doubt, he was well-favoured. At the beginning of his reign, God removed every adversary that could hinder his peaceful and prosperous reign (1 Kings 2:12). Sadly, later in his reign, he lost the favour, presence and peace of God. "And the Lord stirred up an adversary unto Solomon." Having lost the peace and pleasure of God; he had wars. The reason is clear: he "did evil in the sight of the LORD, and went not fully after the LORD, as did David his father". The Lord was angry with him, because "his heart was turned from the LORD God of Israel, which had appeared unto him twice" (verse 6,9).

Solomon lost out because he refused to heed the warnings of his father David. "And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and a willing mind: ...if thou seek him, he will be found of thee, but of thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever" (1 Chronicles 28:9). Here is a great lesson for all heaven-bound pilgrims whose promotion and upliftment in life depends on continued obedience to God.

Bible Reading in one Year: PROVERBS 18 - 20

Thought for the day: "There is a daily upliftment for the obedient"

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:32pm On Sep 23, 2016
Daily Manna
Friday September 23, 2016

No Question, Please!

TEXT: LEVITICUS 11:1-12

"And the LORD spake unto Moses and to Aaron, saying unto them, Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, These are the beasts which ye shall eat among all the beasts that are on the earth" (Leviticus 11:1,2).

God is the creator of heaven and earth and all that are therein. The Bible tells us that all His creation is good. It therefore, means that both the "clean" and the "unclean" animals have their individual purposes to fulfill in their existence. To that extent, no one has the right to question the wisdom of God in creation.

This chapter deals with foods that may or may not be clean for consumption. It is written to instruct the Israelites concerning clean and unclean things, an instruction which has no moral or ethical effect with reference to personal relationships, nor is the concept of "clean" and "unclean" unique.

When God gave these instructions, there were health reasons attached to them. He often pronounced something as unclean in order to preserve the health of the people. However, in making the pronouncement that something is clean or unclean, it became a command; thus, godliness was determined by one's obedience to such command. This probably gave birth to the common phrase "cleanliness is next to godliness", a maxim not found in the Scriptures. For the Israelites, keeping the "cleanliness" command of the law was manifesting one's godliness in obedience to God.

Obedience to God's commands is not optional. He demands it, implicitly, from every believer. The standard has not diminished. Whatever instruction He gives is meant to preserve the sanctity of the society and must be obeyed.

As Israel kept this command by avoiding unclean animals and birds; believers must ensure they touch no unclean thing as they bear the mark of Christ in their bodies. The Bible is explicit on behaviours that are foul to Him. Believers must therefore, commit themselves to doing things that gladden God's heart. It is rebellious to query or probe the reasons for God's commands. As servants, our duty is to "just obey".

Bible Reading in one Year: PROVERBS 21 - 23

Thought for the day: "Obedience always brings blessings"

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:55am On Sep 29, 2016
Daily Manna
Saturday September 24, 2016

Wait For The Appropriate Time

TEXT: LUKE 7:1-10

"And when he heard of Jesus, he sent unto him the elders of the Jews, beseeching him that he would come and heal his servant" (Luke 7:1-10).

Throughout His earthly ministry, Christ never advertised Himself or His works. He believed His works would speak for Him and distinguish Him from other false prophets.

After He healed the sick, opened blind eyes, made the dumb to speak, He sometimes warn the beneficiaries never to tell anyone. When He was challenged by the tempter, the devil, to turn stone into bread or to jump from a high temple, He could have simply done all that to prove His limitless power, but He did not need to exalt Himself.

In our passage today, His brethren, those who knew Him from birth, who had followed His lifestyle and the great works He had done since childhood were amazed that He did not advertise Himself. They suggested to Him to tell the world who He was. They knew the lifestyle of the Jews and how they found joy in publicising even their minutest achievement, not to glorify God, but to show their greatness. But Jesus told His disciples to keep calm as His time had not yet come. Jesus knew that when it is time, the world would know about Him and His works; and there's no need for cheap advertisement!

Believers are called to a life of humility and simplicity, whatever God has deposited in the life of a believer must be manifested someday. It is therefore, unnecessary for people to run before God and try to present themselves to the world when it is not yet time.

Had Jesus made His Messiahship open to the world, He would not have fulfilled His ministry on earth as His life would, probably, have been terminated long before the time.

Those who believe they have the call of God must seek His grace to be humble and wait for the appropriate time.

Bible Reading in one Year: PROVERBS 24 - 26

Thought for the day: "They that wait on God shall not make haste"

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:08pm On Sep 29, 2016
Daily Manna
Sunday September 25, 2016

A Gracious Giver

TEXT: ECCLESIASTES 11:1-6

"Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days" (Ecclesiastes 11:1).

God is rich in mercy to all. Though unworthy, He gives us liberally and upbraids not. As children of God, we also should be merciful as our heavenly Father is.

Here is a pressing exhortation to works of charity towards the poor, as the best cure to the vanity which our worldly riches are subject to; and the only way to make them turn into substantial good account. Solomon impresses it upon us to do good to others and abound in liberality to the poor, with assurance that such would abound to our account someday.

Though it is cast "upon the waters", and seems lost, likely never to be found, yet "thou shalt find it after many days," as the husbandman finds his seed again in a plentiful harvest and the merchant his venture in a rich return. It is not lost, but well laid out, and well laid up. It brings in full interest in God's providence, graces and comforts of His Spirit; and the principal is sure, laid up in heaven, for it is lent to the Lord.

"Thou shalt find it [perhaps not quickly, but] after many days." The return may be slow, but it is sure and will be so much the more plentiful when it comes because "the liberal soul shall be made fat..." (Proverbs 11:25).

So, take time to look around. Certainly, there are people around you in dire need of love and touch of liberality. Discover them and cast your "bread" upon the "waters" of their lives. From today, make it a lifestyle to always show a little bit of love and sow some seeds of kindness.

Bible Reading in one Year: PROVERBS 27 - 29

Thought for the day: "Givers never lack, only misers do"

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:04pm On Sep 30, 2016
Daily Manna
Monday September 26, 2016

Majesty Of Divine Guidance

TEXT: NUMBERS 9:15-23

"At the commandment of the LORD the children of Israel journeyed, and at the commandment of the LORD they pitched: as long as the cloud abode upon the tabernacle they rested in their tents" (Numbers 9:18).

Life has been described as a journey. The journey itself is a process and a discovery. But only travellers on life's road who understand the reading of the compass will enjoy safe trips and get to their intended destinations. Life's experiences become more enjoyable and more fulfilling when we allow divine backing and illumination to continually lighten our ways and decisions.

The children of Israel were delivered from the Egyptian bondage and set out on a supposedly short trip to Canaan, the land of promise. Unfortunately, because of their continual moral failure, the journey was unduly prolonged. Yet, as a loving and caring God, Jehovah continues to guide them through the wilderness journey for forty years.

The passage today provides some very instructive lessons to present-day pilgrims on the way to their eternal home, heaven. While we remain on earth, vulnerable to challenges, temptations and trials, we can still enjoy divine presence and guidance when we allow the God of heaven to lead us.

Every Christian must closely watch and emulate the attitude of the children of Israel at this stage in their journey. The Scripture tells us that they wholeheartedly relied on the guidance of the pillar of cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night, symbolising God's presence. They moved and stopped at the direction of the two pillars.

How wonderful will it be for Christians today to seek God's guidance and instruction in all the decisions they have to take. Believers must learn from the Israelites' journey to the promise land and endeavour to be led by God in minor, medium and major matters of life.

Bible Reading in one Year: PROVERBS 30 - 31

Thought for the day: "Let your step and your stop be directed by the Lord."

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:47pm On Sep 30, 2016
Daily Manna
Tuesday September 27, 2016

That Which Is Within

TEXT: MARK 7:24-30

"All these evil things come from within, and defile the man" (Mark 7:23).

Humans have the tendency to make assessment and conclusions about events, actions and personalities from what they can see from outside. Little wonder many people put up the best in their outward actions.

But the passage today challenges us to probe further inside, to look beyond the outward show and demonstration of outward actions. The actions of men have their origins in their thoughts and minds.

Jesus Christ, the only Perfect God-man that ever lived on earth, the One who knows the heart of all men, asks us to go beyond mere religious traditions of outward shows. He responds to the queries of the disciples arising from the criticism of the Pharisees that they don't observe the Jewish tradition of washing of cups before using them. He argues that its is not the washing of cups that defiles a man. Rather the heart of men is the fountain from which good or evil proceeds.

Sinful action, corrupt behaviour and irreverent conducts that we see outwardly are a manifestation of what is inside a man. An unregenerate, unconverted individual will naturally produce sinful actions. It is not what is outside a man that defiles him but what comes out of him from the heart.

The question is, what is in your heart? The heart can only produce righteous actions and bear fruit of the Spirit after it has been cleansed with the precious blood of Jesus Christ. No amount of reformation or resolutions can make a man to produce good fruits when the tree itself is corrupt. Only Christ can make the difference in any life.

Bible Reading in one Year: ECCLESIASTES 1 - 3

Thought for the day: "The unregenerate heart is the citadel of all evils."

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:02am On Oct 01, 2016
Daily Manna
Wednesday September 28, 2016

Polluted Gains

TEXT: JAMES 5:1-11

"Behold, the hire of the labourers who have reaped down your fields, which is of you kept back by fraud, crieth: and the cries of them which have reaped are entered into the ears of the Lord of sabaoth" (James 5:4).

The writer of today's text, having dealt with various issues of interest in previous chapters, now turned his attention to the wealthy class. He had stiff warning for the rich, not because of their riches but for their oppression and wicked exploitation of the poor.

The truly rich leaves no debt behind him and he definitely owes no one their just wages or due. The wicked rich is not so. His wealth is largely the result of ruthless and godless business principles and largely the result of of ruthless and godless business principles and oppression of the poor lie delaying, decreasing or keeping back the wages of labourers and workmen. This attitude offends God.

Those who become affluent through dishonesty and exploitative domination of others sin greatly against men and God. It may seem such practice is an acceptable norm in our society today; yet, the Lord puts a curse upon gains got by dishonesty. To live in affluence and luxury on the travails and labours of others who groan under oppression and poverty is the height of insensitivity and wickedness.

Christian masters and employers of labour owe it a duty not only to honour their obligation to their employees but also to help see to the removal or reduction of poverty in the society and in the church. Money, its is said, is like manure: it does no good till it is spread. The poor man's wages is for his survival and support of his family. It should be paid promptly as it is earned.

Bible Reading in one Year: ECCLESIASTES 4 - 7

Thought for the day: "God avenges the blood of the innocent and the sweat of the oppressed."

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:17am On Oct 01, 2016
Daily Manna
Thursday September 29, 2016

Folly Of Earthly Possession

TEXT: PSALM 49:1-14

"For he seeth that wise men die, likewise the fool and the brutish person perish, and leave their wealth to others. Their inward thought is, that their houses shall continue for ever, and their dwelling places to all generations; they call their lands after their own names" (Psalm 49:10,11).

A traveller from an ancient land once told a story. According to him, he saw in a desert country, the remains of a huge statue, two vast stone legs standing; and in the sand, half sank, with a shattered head whose ugly, sneering face accurately portrayed its original on the pedestal. He read the proud lines: "My name is Ozymandias, King of kings: look on my work ye mighty, and despair". Many centuries had worn down the statue; the residue was all that remained. No matter how carefully a proud despot may try to be remembered forever, he will finally be conquered by time. Nothing in this world is immutable. Pride will go down before time.

This preamble captures the psalmist's address to all and sundry. He emphasised the vanity of the things that are seen, and the weight of the invisible. In these days of high mortality rate, worldlings should be afraid. To those who set their heads upon the riches of the world, death is a dreadful thing to them. To them, it is the king of terrors. There is no way a person can buy eternal life with his riches; only God can redeem a soul. Hence, no man should count on wealth and physical comfort to make him happy.

The rich and the poor have one similarity when they die: they leave all they own on earth. At death, both the rich and poor are naked before God. The only riches believers have are resources already invested in eternal heritage. It is therefore, more profitable to invest in heavenly treasures and less on earthly possessions.

To have treasure in heaven, we must place our faith in God, pledge to obey him and utilise our resources for the good of God's kingdom. Check your investments and see where you have invested the most. Then do whatever it takes to place your investments where they really count.

Bible Reading in one Year: ECCLESIASTES 8 - 12

Thought for the day: "Earthly treasures will perish with the world."

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:24am On Oct 01, 2016
Daily Manna
Friday September 30, 2016

Supplicating Appropriately

TEXT: DANIEL 9:20-27

"At the beginning of thy supplications the commandment came forth, and I am come to shew thee; for thou art greatly beloved: therefore understand the matter, and consider the vision" (Daniel 9:23).

In many contemporary Christian assemblies, there is an over- emphasis on the place of prayer in true worship experience. Good as that trend may appear, the worrisome aspect of this modern practice of praying is the focus and content of such prayers. The Church today seems to have lost the power of purposeful supplication that will bring national revival, restoration and righteousness. Much time is spent praying against enemies, seeking personal wealth or deliverance.

In our passage, Daniel is shown as an inspiring example that believers should emulate. He lived in affluence and comfort in the palace in Babylon, but he did not allow the luxury of his circumstance or his busy administrative responsibilities to hinder him from praying and seeking the face of God. Beyond that challenging lifestyle of regular prayers, for which he was even thrown into the lions' den and divinely rescued, the content and focus of his supplications will shame modern-day Christians.

Daniel was more concerned about the fulfillment of God's promise to the Israelites before receiving the revelation of events that will happen in the latter-times. He also identified with the sins and disobedience of the people, confessed on their behalf and sought God's mercy and fulfillment of the promise of restoration for the penitent.

It is noteworthy and instructive that while Daniel sought the face of God through purposeful supplications, he enjoyed divine revelations that went far beyond his generations. If we learn to modify the pattern and programmes of our prayers, we will also enjoy divine approval and intervention in our personal, corporate and national challenges.

Bible Reading in one Year: SONG 1 - 4

Thought for the day: "Purposeful supplications secure God's special attention and move Him into action."

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:11pm On Oct 01, 2016
Daily Manna
Saturday October 1, 2016

Purveyor Of True Independence

TEXT: JOHN 8:30-36

"If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed" (John 8:36).

Freedom is a universal pursuit of people everywhere. It is the desire to be allowed to lead an unlettered life; to aspire to attain the highest goals possible without hindrance; to have the liberty to chart the course of one's life. Many people go the extra mile not just to obtain freedom for themselves, but also to defend it. They amass great wealth in the quest for financial and economic freedom; set limits to prevent any infringement, all in the search of political and social freedom. Yet, lasting freedom comes from neither political nor socio-economic well-being. It comes only from Jesus Christ.

Jesus was challenged by the Jewish religious leaders. As He spoke eloquently and convincingly, many people believed that He was the Messiah from God. But He told them that it was not enough to believe; they should also walk in the truth of His words if they must be free. By this, Christ was explaining matters of spiritual significance to them, but unfortunately, they were gripped by a patriotic zeal and belief that they were citizens of a free nation. He then told them that so long as they commit sin, they were slaves to sinful habits and lifestyle, hence, shut out of the kingdom of God. The only way they could be admitted into His Kingdom was through the Son of God Himself, who alone has power to set them free from sin.

Jesus is the perfect gift of God to mankind. He alone can rescue one from the slavery of sin and grant true freedom and enduring independence. As the Truth personified, He presents God's perfect standard of measurement for what is right. Only this can free one from the domination, control and enslavement of sin. One can never fulfill God's purpose and plan for his life until he allows Jesus to break the power of sin in his life. Only then will he be able to lead a peaceful, happy life of true freedom and secure a place in God's kingdom.

Bible Reading in one Year: SONG 5-6

Thought for the day: "True freedom is not the right to live as you please, but to please God at all times."

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:22pm On Oct 02, 2016
Daily Manna
Sunday October 2, 2016

The Promised Glory

TEXT: LEVITICUS 9:1-14

"And Moses said, This is the thing which the LORD commanded that ye should do: and the glory of the LORD shall appear unto you" (Leviticus 9:6).

Jim Elliot, a martyred missionary, wrote in his personal journal: "I walked out on the hill just now. It is exalting, delicious, to stand embraced by the shadows of a friendly tree with the wind tugging at your coattail and the heavens hailing your heart, to gaze and glory and give oneself again to God - what more could a man ask? Oh, the fullness, pleasure, sheer excitement of knowing God on earth! I care not if I never raise my voice again for Him, if only I may love Him, please Him... If only I may see Him, touch His garments, and smile into His eyes".

The hopeful fashion in which Aaron and his sons started their work as priests of God in earnest expectation of His glory is commendable. When the consecration was completed on the eighth day, Moses directed them to take for themselves a sin offering and a burnt offering, and receive similar offerings from the hands of the people. In addition, he urged for a bullock and a ram for peace offerings, with the usual accompaniment of a meat offering. This is done in expectation of the glory of God to come down at the conclusion of the service. He declared to the Israelites that God would visit them that day.

A penitent, yet consecrated priesthood was seen here, acting on behalf of a penitent and consecrated people, which was the basic requirement in expecting a sign from God Himself. The first priestly service is thus filled with hope which was realised at the end. The glory of the Lord should be seen in our families. However, for that glory to be revealed, we must come to God with real consecrated and purified hearts. And when the glory comes down in our homes, His joy will fill our hearts and many signs and wonders will be done as in Bible days.

Bible Reading in one Year: HEBREWS 1 - 4

Thought for the day: "God's glory falls upon the penitent and the contrite."

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:16pm On Oct 04, 2016
Daily Manna
Monday, October 3, 2016

Feed The Hungry

TEXT: MARK 8:1-9

"I have compassion on the multitude, because they have now been with me three days, and have nothing to eat" (MARK 8:2).

From available records, about 13 percent of the world's population is hungry. That is, about 925 million people go undernourished daily, consuming less than the recommended 2, 100 calories a day. Although the world produces enough food to feed all 7 billion people who live in it, those who go hungry either do not have land to grow food or money to purchase it. Therefore, hunger kills more people then AIDS, malaria or tuberculosis put together.

In our text, a crowd came from far and near to the wilderness to hear Christ preach the Word. Having spent three days with Him, they were hungry. Jesus had compassion on them and arranged for their feeding by a miraculous multiplication of bread and fishes, ignoring His disciples' advised to send them away to get food for themselves since they may not have enough to feed them all.

Like Christ's disciples, we often see problems and impossibilities when ministering to people. Sometimes, we say in our hearts, and sometimes with our voices, "Send the people away", "There's not enough money", or "There aren't enough teachers for the youth or children programmes; send them away".

All around us in the entire world, there are people who are physically in need - hungry, physically disabled, oppressed, lonely, grieving, scared, etc. Our duty as Christ's followers is to have compassion on them as our Master had. This compassion can be cultivated by simply meditating on their plight.

We cannot claim to be Christians when we see the agonies and pains people go through and remain unmoved towards them. Such a stance will amount to walking at cross-purposes with the compassionate deportment of the Saviour.

Bible Reading in one Year: HEBREWS 5 - 9

Thought for the day: "Brighten the corner where you are with Christlike compassion."

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:10am On Oct 05, 2016
Daily Manna
Tuesday, October 4, 2016

A Costly Service

TEXT: JOHN 12:1-11

"Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped His feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment" (John 12:3).

Miguel Guzman, a family man from Argentina passed away more than six years ago. To add to the family's grief, the family dog, a German Shepherd named Captain, disappeared just days later. The family frantically searched for him but to no avail.

Then, one Sunday, they made a trip to the cemetery to visit Miguel's grave. There, to their great surprise and delight, they found Captain sitting atop the freshly mounded burial plot. They mused how he could have ever found the cemetery on his own since he had never been taken there. Cemetery officials (who were feeding and caring for Captain) say an official, "but always rushes back to the grave. And everyday at six o'clock sharp, he lies down on top the grave and stays there all night".

Six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany where Lazarus, whom He had raised from the dead, was. While Jesus was at the table with Lazarus, Martha was occupied with serving as usual. Meanwhile, Mary took a vial of an expensive ointment and anointed Jesus' feet, and wiped it with her hair. Judas Iscariot found it a waste to commit such a huge amount to this anointing instead of giving to the poor. Jesus saw Mary's action in reference to His coming death.

Why did she do it? Many may ask. Mary was worried. She was afraid this might be the last time she would see Jesus. She needed to show her devotion to Him in an unmistakable way. It was an act of deep humility.

To what extent are you prepared to go today in showing your gratitude to Jesus? Why not be like Mary by exploiting every opportunity to service Him and do good to mankind?

Bible Reading in one Year: HEBREWS 10 - 13

Thought for the day: "Nothing is too much to give to appreciate God."

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:49am On Oct 05, 2016
Daily Manna
Wednesday October 5, 2016

Vanity Of Fame

TEXT: 1 CHRONICLES 8:33-40

"And the sons of Ulam were mighty men of valour, archers, and had many sons, and sons' sons, an hundred and fifty. All these are of the sons of Benjamin" (1 Chronicles 8:40).

A commentator once said: "People have had mountains named after them, but a following generation changes the names. People have had their names etched into buildings, but in time the buildings will be demolished and the names forgotten.

People write books to be remembered by posterity, but in time the books will be replaced by other books and the authors will be forgotten". Today's text is a continuation of the list of descendants of Benjamin. Obviously, the most familiar name there is Saul, the son of Kish who became the first king of Israel. Unfortunately, he died along with his children in battle because he disobeyed the Lord and consulted with a woman with familiar spirit. Concluding the list also were the sons of Ulam who were said to be mighty men of valour, archers with many sons and grandsons numbering up to one hundred and fifty. However, there was no mention of their faith or devotion to God.

Vanity means "vapour" or "breath". It is what comes out when you blow your breath on a freezing winter morning. You see it for a while, and then it disappears. Vanity is "whatever is left after you break a soap bubble". So, it refers to that which is meaningless, futile, ephemeral and transient.

From the world's point of view, without God in the picture, we are all in competition to obtain the scarce resources of life in order to meet our needs. We want to feel that we are important or significant in life and that we count for something. In that system, only a few make it to the top, and those who do will soon be replaced by generations that follow.

Life can only have meaning when we commit it into the hands of God who only can make something good out of it.

Bible Reading in one Year: JAMES 1 - 5

Thought for the day: "Your life is nothing; only God can make it something."

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:27am On Oct 07, 2016
Daily Manna
Thursday, October 6, 2016

A Coalition Of The Willing

TEXT: JOSHUA 10:1-11

"Come up unto me, and help me, that we may smite Gibeon: for it hath made peace with Joshua and with the children of Israel" (Joshua 10:4).

In November 2002, U.S. President George W. Bush, visiting Europe for a NATO summit, declared that, "Should Iraqi President, Saddam Hussein choose not to disarm, the United States will lead a coalition of the willing to disarm him". Thereafter, the Bush administration briefly used the term "Coalition of the Willing" to refer to the forty-nine countries who supported, militarily or verbally, the 2003 invasion of Iraq and subsequent military presence in post-invasion Iraq since 2003.

Alarmed over the news of the victories of Israel, at Jericho and Ai, and hearing of the Gibeonite's defection to Israel, Adonibezek, king of Jerusalem, persuaded four kings to join him in fighting against Gibeon. His strategy was to organize a coalition of willing and like- minded nations to stem the advancement of Israel into their territory. He believed that numbers will count in the battle and that punishing Gibeon will send the right message to other nations that they are a formidable force. But the Lord gave victory to Israel in the battle, casting hailstones from heaven upon those who trusted in their strength.

From evidences in the Scriptures, Christians know that they are not just faced with one enemy. We face a coalition of evil forces that banded together in attempts to destroy us. Those enemies are commonly called "the world", "the flesh" and "the devil". The devil is the master strategist of the assault against us and sometimes attacks us openly, sometimes craftily, but always with an unerring sense of where our weaknesses lie.

Together, the world, the flesh, and the devil make a tough combination, but for the saving intervention of Christ. Without God, victory against such an alliance is impossible. With God, victory is assured. Therefore, endeavour to always stand on the side of God to remain victorious.

Bible Reading in one Year: ISAIAH 1 - 4

Thought for the day: "With God on our side, victory is assured."

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:30am On Oct 08, 2016
Daily Manna
Friday, October 7, 2016

Ignore And Continue

TEXT: PSALM 94:1-11

"The LORD knoweth the thoughts of man, that they are vanity" (Psalm 94:11).

A judge was constantly annoyed by the sneering remarks of an abusive attorney. Instead of cracking down on the lawyer and silencing him, he would only smile and chew his pencil until people wondered at his patience.

One day at a dinner someone asked him, "Judge, why didn't you slap down that lawyer?" The judge laid down his knife and fork and resting his chin on his hands said, "Up in our town, there lives a widow who has a dog which whenever the moon shines, goes out and barks all night at the moon. But the moon just keeps shining on!"

In our text, the psalmist had a lot of questions and brought them before God in prayer: How long will the wicked and the proud be allowed to gloat in their evil? How long will they be allowed to maintain their arrogance? How long will evil people continue to boast? He goes on to describe their evil actions. They are crushing God's people. They hurt the righteous. Some evil doers even kill widows and orphans.

Though painful, suffering should be used as God's training tool. God knows the thoughts and actions of all. Everyone will be repaid. No one gets away with anything. The wicked will be judged and the righteous will be vindicated. With this understanding, just ignore the wicked and keep shinning the light knowing that your moon cannot be dimmed by a barking dog.

Do not repay evil for evil. We are not to fight fire with fire, but rather with cool water. We leave all vengeance to God and try to overcome evil by doing good to our enemy or opponent.

Bible Reading in one Year: ISAIAH 5 - 8

Thought for the day: "Your moon cannot be dimmed by a barking dog."

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:54am On Oct 09, 2016
Daily Manna
Saturday, October 8, 2016

Exchange Of Power

TEXT: ESTHER 9:29-32

"Then Esther then queen, the daughter of Abihail, and Mordecai the Jew, wrote with all authority, to confirm this second letter of Purim" (Esther 9:29).

"No one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it", says George Orwell, 1984.

When Haman was promoted to great honour and power in the palace at Shushan, he used it to crush the innocent with no intention of relinquishing it. But power eventually changed hands; the authority now firmly in the hands of Esther and Mordecai, who wrote to confirm the Feast of Purim to all the Jews in the one hundred and twenty-seven provinces under king Ahasuerus. The document which was now a 'decree' was treated as an official document and an authentic law that must be obeyed. This was a dramatic change of circumstances when one considers the state of things just a few weeks from thence.

Haman eventually came to his waterloo. He became an embarrassment to the nation by his draconian use of delegated authority to promulgate a decree to crush poor and innocent Jews. A day eventually came when he must keep the inevitable appointment with fate. He was hanged on his own gallows, which he prepared to hang Mordecai, this significantly altering the power equation that existed at the time. Not only was Haman's estate handed over to the queen, but the king's ring that was given to him was given to his archenemy, Mordecai. With the tables now turned, Mordecai could now govern with justice, equity and the fear of God.

As a believer, you may be languishing under the yoke of the tyranny of man or the many afflictions brought by the devil to crush and shame you. Like Esther and Mordecai, you must take your matters to God until there is a change in your circumstances. You must never give up until your victory is secured.

Bible Reading in one Year: ISAIAH 9 - 12

Thought for the day: "God has the capacity to change the power equation in every life."

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:51am On Oct 12, 2016
Daily Manna
Sunday October 9, 2016

Inescapable Sentence

TEXT: LAMENTATION 3:1-10

"Also when I cry and shout, he shutteth out my prayer" (Lamentation 3:8 ).

Although Prophet Jeremiah's grieving poetry in our text is a recall of his bitter experience in the 20th and 38th chapters of his earlier book, it is really an expressive symbolism of the sufferings of Judah, following God's judgment on the people. The servant of God is lamenting how Pashur, the son of Immer the priest who was also the chief governor in the house of the Lord, smote him because he delivered God's word concerning the impending divine judgment. Eventually, Pashur put Jeremiah in confinement, leading the prophet to make a futile threat that, "I will not make mention of him [God], nor speak any more in his name" (Jeremaih 20:9). There is also an allusion to the time the prophet was thrown into an empty water pit in a prison yard (Jeremiah 38:6) until he was rescued of God by Ebedmelech, an Ethiopian eunuch.

On a broader sense, because Jeremiah's cry is located in inspired Scripture written at the time of the captivity of Judah, it speaks to the suffering of a nation whose people have wronged God and are bearing the burden of judgment. The writer says there is darkness instead of light around him. He speaks of the unrelieved weight of divine fiery judgment upon a person who has turned down all entreaties to forsake rebellion against God. There is some apocalyptic angle to his condition when he declares in his lamentation. It will be too late to cry for help in hell.

Inescapable sentence accompanied by unbearable sufferings and torment await the transgressor who refuses to embrace the salvation arrangement of God. The plague, persecution and pestilence that have assailed man since the existence of the world would not be compared to what hell holds in store for sinners and backsliders (Revelation 21:8; 20:15).

Bible Reading in one Year: ISAIAH 13 - 17

Thought for the day: "There is no alternative to accepting Jesus as one's Saviour and Lord."

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:01pm On Oct 12, 2016
Daily Manna
Monday, October 10, 2016

Preparing For Heaven

TEXT: TITUS 2:9-15

"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world" (Titus 2:11,12).

The Bible has a word for every situation, whether past, present, the earthly tomorrow or the eternal future. This is because it was written by the One Who has always been in these circumstances. The Bible says our God is the "same yesterday, and today and forever" (Hebrews 3:8 ).

As heaven-bound Christians, the presentation in Titus 2:11-14 should be our spiritual handbook. What we do on earth should be in favorable response to what the Lord has done for us. He brought salvation through Jesus Christ's death on the cross at Calvary. Without it, we are lost and would have remained so for eternity. This unmerited love (grace), should now move us to deny ungodliness, worldly lusts and vices which have taken hold of mankind. We are expected to live "soberly,righteously, and godly, in this present world"(verse 11).

This way of life, sharply different from what obtains outside the Church, is to keep us watchful in expectation of "that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ" (verses 13,14). Consequentially, if we are constantly watching for our Lord's second coming, we must not fail to obey what He taught us, beginning with the injunctions in the Sermon on the Mount through His commandment on the Great Commission to His final word in Revelation: "Surely I come quickly".

The implication is that since He is coming "quickly" (soon), we must "Watch... therefore, and pray always, ...[and] be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man" (Luke 21:36). The chief evidence of faithful stewardship and waiting is to heed the word of Christ: "If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed" (John 8:31).

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: ISAIAH 18 - 21

Thought for the day: "Faithfully waiting for Jesus' return amounts to preparing for heaven."

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:33pm On Oct 12, 2016
Daily Manna
Tuesday, October 11, 2016

The Ideal Marriage

TEXT: SONG OF SOLOMON 1:5-8

"Look not upon me, because I am black, because the sun hath looked upon me: my mother's children were angry with me; they made me the keeper of the vineyards; but mine own vineyard have I not kept" (Song of Solomon 1:6).

Although King Solomon had many women in his life (700 wives and 300 concubines), the opening passage in Song of Solomon indicates that he had a powerful affection for only one, the dark-skinned Shunamite woman. David's son makes emotional and irresistible overtures to let the woman know that she would remain his sole object of attention in preference to the other members of the harem in the palace. But the woman insists on the sanctity between a man and a woman: it should be one man to one woman.

This mega-theme of the Song of Solomon is a foreshadow of the New Testament. Jesus Christ refers to how marriage was from creation: "...He which made them at the beginning made them male and female, And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh" (Matthew 19:4,5). Also Apostle Paul, moved by the Holy Ghost, writes in Ephesians 5:25, "Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it". A strong train of thought in the Song of Solomon is directed against polygamy.

The devotion which a man can offer in marriage is only to one spouse. It cannot be shared among concubines or wives. Most women who go into polygamous homes are lured by money and empty promises of a so-called blissful future. They fall for short-lived prosperity that does not go beyond this world. Polyandry (marriage of a woman to more than one man), is also not the answer.

A marital relationship not based on pure and sacrificial love would flounder. Marital love should not be constructed in external considerations as superficial beauty contrived by makeup, wealth, position and materialism "for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth" (Luke 12:15). Even so, our union with Christ must be holy and righteous, from all polygamist intrusions.

Bible Reading in one Year: ISAIAH 22 - 25

Thought for the day: "Chastity is the qualification that qualifies Christ's glorious Church."

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:49pm On Oct 12, 2016
Daily Manna
Wednesday October 12, 2016

Giving At Its Best

TEXT: 2 CORINTHIANS 9:8-15

"Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown,and increase the fruits of your righteousness" (2 Corinthians 9:10).

Among many stories told about the Great Chicago fire of 1871, the one involving Evangelist D.L. Moody remains etched in most people's memory. The respected cleric proceeded to New York to raise financial help for the victims of the inferno. Homes, factories and industries were destroyed, with value of lost property running into tens of millions of dollars. Moody was led to a rich and generous man in the economic and commercial capital of the United States. The affluent man did not disappoint him and gave Moody a cheque for a large amount in response to the massive need in Chicago. The benefactor did more: he directed Moody to several other wealthier men who also gave heavy contributions.

The evangelist was impressed and as he left New York, he told his host: "If you ever come to Chicago, be sure to call on me, I'll return your favour". But the man replied, "Mr. Moody, don't wait for me to come. Do it to the first man who comes along". Years later when the clergyman recalled this experience, he said: "I never forgot that remark. It had the ring of the true Good Samaritan".

Giving, for Christians is taking after God Who gave His best (His only begotten Son) to unworthy mankind. Giving for evangelism, Church work and to the needy, with no intention to please self or the world, moves God to give more to the donor.

When you give, you become an ally of the original Giver. You put yourself in a commanding position to rise above lack even in the midst of local and global financial crisis. That has been the testimony of those who practice cheerful and bountiful giving. This would also be your testimony as a real and unpretentious child of God.

Bible Reading in one Year: ISAIAH 26 - 29

Thought for the day: "Give until giving produces hurts."

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:22pm On Oct 13, 2016
Daily Manna
Thursday October 13, 2016

Prompt Execution

TEXT: EZEKIEL 11:1-13

"And it came to pass, when I prophesied, that Pelatiah the son of Benaiah died. Then fell I down upon my face, and cried with a loud voice, and said, Ah Lord GOD! wilt thou make a full end of the remnant of Israel?" (Ezekiel 11:13).

Ecclesiastes 8:11 says: "Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil."

The leaders of Israel during Prophet Ezekiel's ministry were stunned that fulfilment of prophecy could sometimes be executed speedily depending on God's unimpeachable wisdom. Ezekiel, led by the Spirit of God, had prophesied that Jerusalem's rebellion and idolatry would be punished with a captivity at the hands of the Babylonians. But twenty-five princes of Judah in Jerusalem, deceived by Jaazaniah and Paletiah, told the people that Jerusalem was too fortified to fall. They contemned the prophecies of Ezekiel and Jeremiah.

This unbelief pushed them to look up to Egypt for support. God saw through them and declared in verse 2: "Son of man, these are the men that devise mischief, and give wicked counsel in this city," referring to the two men instigating the people to disbelieve the word of God as delivered by His servant. The outcome was the prophesy that: "Ye shall fall by the sword; I will judge you in the border of Israel; and ye shall know that I am the LORD." This came to pass immediately in verse 13. It is impossible for God's word concerning the unrepentant sinner not to manifest. The Lord says with firmness that "Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away" (Mark 13:31). Also in Luke 16:17, He said: "it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail."

To avoid God's wrath, "Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon" (Isaiah 55:7). Jesus will soon return to the world to judge sinners. This prophecy will be fulfilled as that of His first coming was. How prepared are you?

Bible Reading in one Year: ISAIAH 30 - 33

Thought for the day: "It is deadly to be caught on the wrong side of prophecy."

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:33am On Oct 14, 2016
Daily Manna
Friday October 14, 2016

Unspeakable Prosperity

TEXT: PSALM 72:1-20

"His name shall endure for ever: his name shall be continued as long as the sun: and men shall be blessed in him: all nations shall call him blessed" (Psalm 72:17).

Indescribable but exciting emotions must overwhelm a genuine believer as he reads Psalm 72. It is a prophetic psalm composed as directed by the Holy Spirit, Who knows the history of the universe. It presents a picture of the idyllic reign of the Messiah.

Its immediate historical application was the first appearance of our Lord Jesus Christ Who came to die for the sinner. He brought salvation and put an end to the bondage the devil kicked mankind into.

He fulfilled verses 4 and 12: "He shall judge the poor of the people, he shall save the children of the needy, and shall break in pieces the oppressor. For he shall deliver the needy when he crieth; the poor also, and him that hath no helper". The post-historical interpretation is when our Lord comes back for the millennial rule where "There shall be an handful of corn in the earth upon the top of the mountains; ...the city shall flourish like grass of the earth" (verse 16). But there is a larger and infinite image in verses 7 and 17: "In his days shall the righteous flourish; and abundance of peace so long as the moon endureth. His name shall endure for ever: his name shall be continued as long as the sun: and men shall be blessed in him: all nations shall call him blessed".

This letter takes us to the premises of heaven. Although written to capture the prosperous era of King Solomon, it is really a figurative portrait of a period far beyond his days. It speaks about a greater Son of David.

We who have been redeemed by Jesus are already savouring the power in His Name. We have peace in our hearts even in the midst of turmoil. His promises to provide for our needs, heal and shield us from evil, give us power to overcome sin, comfort and rescue us in moments of danger are all being met. This is sufficient comfort, consolation and motivation for us to fight the good fight, finish our course and keep the faith to make it to heaven.

Bible Reading in one Year: ISAIAH 34 - 37

Thought for the day: "Heaven is God's eternal abode for the pilgrim who overcomes."

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:56pm On Oct 15, 2016
Daily Manna
Saturday October 15, 2016

Lean Not On Your Wisdom

TEXT: DEUTERONOMY 1:19-33

"The LORD your God which goeth before you, he shall fight for you, according to all that he did for you in Egypt before your eyes" (Deuteronomy 1:30).

The Bible admits that the Sinai Peninsula through which the children of Israel journeyed on their way to the Promised Land was "great and terrible" (v. 19). It was foreboding; yet God asked them to move on and pass through it to possess the land before them, because He set up special escape plan for them.

Yet these descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob did not listen to God. Rather, they devised an arrangement to first send spies to check on the land. This was a rebellion against God's command to immediately take the land. They had no faith in a God who had worked out everything for their conquest and instructed them to: "go up and possess it... [and] fear not, neither be discouraged."

It upsets God when man underestimates His love. It is an abomination to draw up plans for our safety outside the way of God even in seemingly impossible challenges. Israel doubted God's assurances, even after He expressed His awareness of the wild conditions of the Sinai wilderness. They failed to juxtapose His awesome Omnipotence with their puny circumstances. They didn't recall the great miracles He did to deliver them from centuries of bondage in Egypt; how through His mighty powers He divided the raging Red Sea to enable them escape the fearsome army of Pharaoh, and also commanded the waters to come back to drown the Egyptian chariots. How about the pillars of clouds and fire that guided them as they travelled on foot day and night?

Jesus assures believers that He is with them in the midst of their troubles. If we believe He is playing the part of a Father and Master, we ought to play ours too by having faith in Him in all circumstances. Any relationship is a two-way affair which can only be deepened if each party is faithful to the ground rules of trust. As God is faithful to His, so must we be committed to ours.

Bible Reading in one Year: DEUTERONOMY 1:19-33

Thought for the day: "The arm of flesh will not suffice in the face of life's challenges."

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:44pm On Oct 17, 2016
Daily Manna
Sunday, October 16, 2016

But For His Mercies

TEXT: LAMENTATIONS 3:22-30

"It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness" (Lamentations 3:22,23).

"If you complain that you do not have shoes, think of those who do not have legs!" This is the advice often given to those who often complain of lack. Truly, nothing stops us from being in a worse situation than we are now, but for the mercies of God. This is why we should always give thanks in the midst of any situation we find ourselves.

Before now, prophet Jeremiah had lamented over all that had befallen Jerusalem. He also cried for all he had suffered personally from the people because of his involvement in the prophetic ministry. However, he still had reasons to thank God. In fact, he testified that were it not for the mercies of God, the nation would have been in a far worse situation. So, instead of continuing to muse and mourn over their predicaments, he admonished them to give thanks.

Jeremiah's attitude and resolve should be a challenge to everyone. We must learn to stop complaining about our seeming unfortunate lots and losses in life and learn to give thanks to God for His preserving mercies. Think about it, what hope is there for the dead? As long as we have life, we still have hope. So, if the Lord has shown us enough mercy, keeping us alive to still have hope, how we need to give thanks, notwithstanding our present predicament.

Beyond this, God has given Himself to Christians as their portion. This means that as long as believers have God, they have all they can ever need. If you truly understand this, then there won't be the need to worry or fret over what you have or what you don't have. God's faithfulness and mercies cannot run out as they are new every morning. This is enough reason to keep our faith in God and give thanks always.

Bible Reading in one Year: ISAIAH 42 - 45

Thought for the day: "Better to count your blessing than to enumerate your losses."

See more HERE:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:15am On Oct 18, 2016
Daily Manna
Monday October 17, 2016

Be Careful Of What You Say

TEXT: TITUS 3:1-8

"To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men" (Titus 3:2).

One of the most cherished human rights is "freedom of expression" - having the liberty to express oneself without fear. Many however misjudge this freedom to think that it includes the liberty to malign, falsely accuse and slander others. This has caused many conflicts that have created bitter enmity among many. Most common in the wrong use of this freedom is the way most people talk about the government and people in position of authority. Many times, people who criticise do not have the correct fact on the things they comment about, but pick up rumours and hearsay. Unfortunately, many so-called Christians indulge in this uncharitable behaviour as well.

Our text today spells out the expected conduct of the believer. We are not to be uncharitable in the way we use our words. The Bible forbids us from speaking evil of anyone, regardless of who the person is. Christians are expected to show forth good examples for others to follow in the society. They must give due respect and honour to those in authority. Our responsibility as believers is to say nothing ill about them, whether they do well or not. Rather, the Scripture enjoins us to pray for them and obey them in all they instruct us to do as long as it does not conflict with our Christian faith.

Apart from those in authority, we should not speak evil of anyone at all. Many times, Christians forget that they were once graceless and had lived the same way sinners do. It is the grace of God in a Christian's life that makes him different from a sinner. In fact, some believers would have been worse off! Instead of being critical of others, we should pray for them and more importantly, be careful to maintain good works for all to see. Nothing is as challenging and convincing as a manifestly exemplary life. We can model through our lifestyle what we expect from others.

Bible Reading in one Year: ISAIAH 46 - 50

Thought for the day: "Do good, talk good, see good and expect good!"

See more HERE:

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (52) (Reply)

MY Experience With The Supernatural, Ghost And Spirits Do Exist. / Synagogue Church Of All Nations Building Collapses (Picture) / Issues About Sex In Dream, Spirit Wife, Spirit Husband, Spirit Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 273
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.