Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,481 members, 7,770,176 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:43 AM

17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional (29467 Views)

5 Occupations That Make Most Married Women Cheat / 5 Habits That Will Make You Poor For Life / Deadly Habits That Will Make You Unsuccessful And Struggle Eternally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by dallyemmy: 4:26pm On Jun 29, 2016
1. Confidence
This was the biggest problem with the pilot's performance that day. Confidence without the ability to back it up is useless, but if you’re truly competent, own it.

2. Candor
Truly professional people are forthright. They assess the situation, calculate the risks, and offer a truthful opinion.

3. Self-awareness
This is a part of displaying confidence -- knowing who you are and where you fit in the world, and owning your strengths and weaknesses. If you do that, you can work to buttress the things you don't do as well.

4. Strategic thinking
One of the basic tenets of success is to start with the end in mind. Truly professional people identify their goals, then work backward to achieve them.

5. Anticipation
Be like Radar O'Reilly. Wait, you probably don't get that reference, because most people reading this probably weren't watching the television show M*A*S*H in the 1980s. (See? Self-awareness.) No problem. Just know that focusing on others' needs to the point that you can anticipate their challenges and solutions breeds confidence.

6. Caring
Related to anticipation: You can't truly help others if you can't bother to learn about their goals and fears.

7. Realism
"Promise me the world," the song goes. That may be a way to get the boy or girl of your dreams to pay attention, but it does nothing to make you look professional. Instead, promise the most you can, consistent with your ability to deliver.

8. Follow-through
See what I mean? These attributes are simple but not necessarily easy. Say you'll do something, then do it.

9. Enthusiasm
This one is inspired by reader comments, when I said Pollyannaishness was unprofessional. Smart enthusiasm, on the other hand, is a very positive quality. Colin Powell put it best: Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.

10. Diligence
This is related to follow-through, but it's not exactly the same thing. Be persistent, demonstrate worth ethic, and "check small things." (That’s another Powellism, come to think of it.)

11. Performance
Nothing says "professional" like accomplishments, especially repeated accomplishments over time.

12. Discretion
Caring and self-awareness, combined with good communications ability, leads to prudence and the ability to be candid without giving offense.

13. Curiosity
No professional is ever finished learning. ‘Nuff said.

14. Risk-taking
I hesitated to put this on here, out of fear of giving the wrong impression. Risk-taking doesn't mean being risky in the negative sense. Instead it’s about the realization that all courses of action involve some risk, and balancing that realization against the paralyzation of inaction.

15. Humor
You don’t need to be hilarious, but you need a sense of humor; it demonstrates perspective.

16. Fitness
This is unfortunate but true. If someone looks as if he or she doesn’t care about their health, it’s a lot harder to project professionalism -- and with it, the notion that they care about other things.

17. Authenticity
It’s good entrepreneurial advice to “fake it till you make it,” but your performance needs to be grounded in truth. Otherwise, no matter your skills, your deficits, your interests -- or frankly, even the things you aren’t interested in -- people can tell.

43 Likes 13 Shares

Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by TRADELYN: 6:10pm On Jun 29, 2016
Above all, Be Yourself. smiley

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by Taiyescott(m): 7:43pm On Jun 29, 2016
Gud..
Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by Fkforyou(m): 8:22pm On Jun 29, 2016
Nice points, but one thing that matters when it comes to developing this attributes is consistency and focus. But they are not easy to develop in all honesty.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by veekid(m): 6:28am On Jul 08, 2016
Nice write up

2 Likes

Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by VocalWalls: 6:28am On Jul 08, 2016
Nice... However, charity begins from home.
Your house needs to have a great look, with an awesome impression.
See What I Mean

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by brunofarad(m): 6:28am On Jul 08, 2016
DRESSING

CARRIAGE

SPEECH

Does it for me

1 Like

Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by Category1: 6:30am On Jul 08, 2016
Can we actually posses all these? I think not.

1 Like

Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by luciouscookie: 6:32am On Jul 08, 2016
I dey hungry abeg.
Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by seunny4lif(m): 6:32am On Jul 08, 2016
Above all
Believe in yourself cool cool cool cool
It works for me and it will keep working for me cool cool
Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by misterchris(m): 6:32am On Jul 08, 2016
Professor JohnBull.
Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by Nobody: 6:32am On Jul 08, 2016
Toking in ko jawo mo wink

1 Like

Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by dljbd1(m): 6:33am On Jul 08, 2016
Nice article.
Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by Ejehjoe(m): 6:36am On Jul 08, 2016
Great ideas from OP. As simple as they seem, they very difficult to keep. Thatz why to be a professional itself is a job of constant war.
Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by BrainnewsNg(f): 6:38am On Jul 08, 2016
Thanks dallyemmy
It is so inspiring.

1 Like

Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by BrainnewsNg(f): 6:38am On Jul 08, 2016
misterchris:
Professor JohnBull.

Hmmmmmmm
Ok
Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by timilehing(m): 6:54am On Jul 08, 2016
Ok
Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by Klare(f): 6:56am On Jul 08, 2016
Okay
Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by GoldenJAT(m): 6:57am On Jul 08, 2016
nice and articulate write up !
Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by Mckandre(m): 7:07am On Jul 08, 2016
TRADELYN:
Above all, Be Yourself. smiley
if na madman nko,I guess he shouldn't keep his sanity in check and be himself undecided
Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by ednut1(m): 7:15am On Jul 08, 2016
Be yourself. I just tire for Nigerians u have to always look like something. A womaniser has to marry to look responsible bla bla bla angry
Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by BrainnewsNg(f): 7:17am On Jul 08, 2016
Ejehjoe:

Great ideas from OP. As simple as they seem, they very difficult to keep. Thatz why to be a professional itself is a job of constant war.

You are REAL

Thats it
Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by BrainnewsNg(f): 7:18am On Jul 08, 2016
ednut1:
Be yourself. I just tire for Nigerians u have to always look like something. A womaniser has to marry to look responsible bla bla bla angry

Hehehehehehehe

Funny you
Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by olarhtunji(m): 7:34am On Jul 08, 2016
so I should be pretending... op have smoked Oshogbo weed in his dream..Please is today public holiday?

1 Like

Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by Stanbeto: 7:42am On Jul 08, 2016
To who it may Concern
Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by Emeka71(m): 7:42am On Jul 08, 2016
LinkedIn registration.
Re: 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional by Taiyescott(m): 7:43am On Jul 08, 2016
k.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Electricity Distribution Official Electrocuted In Ikotun, Lagos (Photos, Video) / Nigerian Man Without Legs Works As Driver (video) / Nigerian Uber Driver In US Returns Passenger's Lost Money (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.