Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:45 AM

United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria (16487 Views)

Nigeria Air: National Airline Unveiled (Photos, Video) / National Airline To Begin Operations This Year / United Airline Pulls Out Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria by ayanfeeledumare: 9:28am On Jun 30, 2016
timidapsin:
United and Emirates (evening flight) Airlines bids farewell to the Nigerian sky after their last flight today 30th June, 2016.

In one instance, the exit of these two world class airlines will definitely lead to loss of jobs both directly and indirectly.

In another instance, this exit would have been Nigeria's gain had it been we did not "stole" the wings off Nigerian Airways till it became a flightless bird six feet beneath the earth from 22,000 feet above sea level. It would only take a miracle to survive a fall from such a height.

13 years after the demise of Nigerian Airways, the feet of it's interred body still sticks out. A sign that it's remain refused to be ushered into gentle breeze of glory. The ghost is what is currently haunting our aviation sector.

At the pinnacle of it's operations, the asset of Nigerian Airways Limited was valued at a little over $6B all over the world. And the airline was flying to all continents with quality service at an affordable price.

The airline became a cesspit of monumental corruption when government officials took charge of it's administration. It got worst when free tickets were given to wives and concubines of government officials. Flight would be delayed for one minister held up at his girlfriend's birthday, prostitutes and pimps of ministers and airline's staffs were employed as air hostesses and aviation staffs. These among other pesky infractions killed Nigerian Airways.

With 10,000 staff strength and 32 fleet of aircraft as at 1979, Nigerian Airways was the pride of our nation back then not even our current quasi - national carrier (Arik Air) compares to it.

By 1999, the Nigerian Airways had only one serviceable aircraft left in it's fleet. By this time it had become Nigerian Airweighs, weighed down by it's debt burden.

Over N6 billion was stolen between 1993 and 1999 under the nose of two managing directors of the airline. This approximated figure is extracted from the report of the Justice Nwazota-led Commission of Inquiry that was set up shortly before the death of late President Musa Yar’Adua.

The Nigerian Airways was savagely raped like an orphan till the last straw that broke it's camel back in 2003 when # 25B mysteriously took flight from the airlines till.

Even at this point Nigerian Airways assets still far outweighs it's liabilities.

One then wonder why OBJ sold it off under the guise of "pocketization" oops! Privatization when he could have simply partnered with world class airlines like British Airways. Such arrangements is not strange in aviation as was recently witnessed between Alitalia and Etihad. Alitalia conceded some of their not so vibrant routes to Etihad. While the bailout partnership between Airfrance - KLM is also a good example.

Today, tiny countries like Rwanda, Kenya, Ethiopa, etc have a thriving national carrier. Ki lo ti wa je ni Nigeria? Rather than the senseless liquidity of Nigeria Airways, it would have partnered with some of these airlines exiting the Nigerian route on the premise of non repatriation of funds made on ticket sale. NAL would have been exchanging it's ticket sale money in those countries with partner airlines while the partner airlines would do same with NAL here in Nigeria. That way the FOREX policy won't force airlines to close business the way they are seen to be doing now, and it would be a win win situation.

Called from: http://afriwap.com/politics/united-and-emirates-airline-to-stop-flights-to-nigeria/

This is a complete rubbish report and analysis meant to cause unnecessary panic. How does Emirates reducing frequency mean its pulling out of Nigeria? Normally, they do 2 frequency per day but now, it is one. The reduction is due to unclear FOREX policy in Nigeria. And as the FOREX market gets stable, the second flight cancelled will be restored. Please stop spreading lies. Emirates is still on ground in Lagos and Abuja.

1 Like

Re: United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria by elkon(m): 9:28am On Jun 30, 2016
embarassed hmmm we never see meme..dey just started... Nigeria don finish. .its time to dey built my ship..before APC destroy Nigeria finish embarassed
Re: United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria by ajebuter(f): 9:31am On Jun 30, 2016
Keneking:
Who dem epp sef
When we are working on our national carrier already.
Ethiopian Airlines just received the first order of Airbus A850.
When we shall have our fleet transversing the Atlantic before 2019 and reduce dollar spend.
When you buy fake perfumes at dollar rate on board these flights.

Yes na.. who dem epp?

We can do without their services and trek na..

Jonathan sef! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria by ajebuter(f): 9:32am On Jun 30, 2016
SeverusSnape:

Sounds like the kind of thing modath or PassingShot or sweetlemon would say grin

Check out Kene-queer

He already said it.. grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:36am On Jun 30, 2016
@op ur being disingenuous. We all know dt d privatization of d very dead Nigeria airways was one of d successes of obasanjos regime. You completely ignored d years of virgin Nigeria, which was a partnership between Nigeria & an international line, which is one of ur solutions. Lol! We already did dt & corruption by yaraduas thugs chased virgin out of dt alliance by 2008.

Iberia & united airlines are out now. Emirates is not out of Nigeria yet. Dt is a lie. I can still get a ticket from Abuja to DC.
Re: United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria by giles14(m): 9:36am On Jun 30, 2016
one of objs legacies
Re: United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:51am On Jun 30, 2016
giles14:
one of objs legacies

True story. He attracted all these direct flights to Nigeria dt never came to our country before then. Really opened up d economy. With d airlines, came d destination hotels. Obasanjos for all his faults, had smart economic policies.

This forex situation is not being handled properly. It's very complicated dt d country doesn't have enough forex to give these airlines, but experts need to be involved in this situation. I'm not seeing any economic experts advising this administration.
Re: United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria by mannobeGod: 10:06am On Jun 30, 2016
Nigeria Jaga. Jaga
Naija - Ojojumo Ni anji riya
Re: United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria by Nobody: 10:11am On Jun 30, 2016
rufaikoko:
Idiot! Those damages were not done today. Its the handiwork of your Pas and Grandpas.
fool! These damages were done today cuz one year ago dey were hellbend on staying in Nigeria and doing business till u pipo bought about a curse illiterate to mess everything up. So thank you idiot

1 Like 1 Share

Re: United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria by ontruth(m): 10:25am On Jun 30, 2016
Cc: lalasticlala, Mynd44 and all the mods,my question is do you people only concern about banning?what about fake misleading news headlines like this?Can't anything be done about it to avoid putting unnecessary tension on concerned peeps?
Re: United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria by PassingShot(m): 10:34am On Jun 30, 2016
fulanimafia:

When you're called wailing zombies, you complain as if that is not exactly what you lots are.

Who said Emirates have stopped flights to or from Nigeria? A disoriented writer who named an article with such a false malicious headline and states the headline in ONE sentence without backing, and then launches a tirade lamenting the death of Nigerian Airways? Was it not the PDP that ruled for the past 16 years of Nigerian Airways's ruin? Who is surprised that we still don't have a national carrier after 16 years of PDP misrule?

What did Jonathan do about Nigerian Airways despite presiding over a period of fantastic oil price boom? Why are you screaming Buhari? Last time he ruled NA was a thriving airline with dozens of aircrafts. You zombies are so daft that you cannot verify the simplest of facts and swallow every trash you're fed.

Below is a screenshot of a return flight I just booked from London to Abuja on Emirates for July 15th to return August 31st. Emirates still flies to and from Nigeria.
You mind the brain-damaged mourning wailers?

I just booked Emirates from Doha to Lagos for Sep 15th to Oct 6th and even made a thread of it here https://www.nairaland.com/3197056/claim-emirates-stops-flights-nigeria#47062741

But guess what, the mods don't want to take it to FP because they don't want to expose their own folly.

This site is full of sadists nowadays.

1 Like

Re: United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria by OlujobaSamuel: 10:44am On Jun 30, 2016
agitator:

Na GEJ corruption rundown nigerian airways. grin grin grin

You no shout GEJ ineffectual buffoon, as him name no show and the thiefing happen stop before 2007. all these ofemennu people sef wink wink wink
abeg swerve. I've got no time for una thrash. what's my business with una apc/pdp weyrey show? as much as I wish my nation well, if una like kill una sef finish, I will continue to prosper, because my God whom I serve with all sincerity will not make me suffer loss.
I will not use the mouth I use for blessing to curse myself by cursing my nation.
go join your mates outside.
fyi, the writer is a Yoruba, obj is a Yoruba, the crook Jimoh is a Yoruba,
Re: United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria by dejavubobo1(m): 10:57am On Jun 30, 2016
Reference:

Every government since independence did it in every commercial sector in Nigeria. If Nigeria Airways existed till this day, it will have continued. So we should be glad it is dead and not there further eroding our public finances. If you are an undisciplined man, it is pointless going into business. It is better you seek employment where you will be compelled to perform. Nigeria is not a disciplined nation so we cannot have national businesses.
Very correct, I just hope we can change or divide the country so every tribe can seek there common goal
Re: United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria by GreatManBee: 11:04am On Jun 30, 2016
timidapsin:
United and Emirates (evening flight) Airlines bids farewell to the Nigerian sky after their last flight today 30th June, 2016.

In one instance, the exit of these two world class airlines will definitely lead to loss of jobs both directly and indirectly.

In another instance, this exit would have been Nigeria's gain had it been we did not "stole" the wings off Nigerian Airways till it became a flightless bird six feet beneath the earth from 22,000 feet above sea level. It would only take a miracle to survive a fall from such a height.

13 years after the demise of Nigerian Airways, the feet of it's interred body still sticks out. A sign that it's remain refused to be ushered into gentle breeze of glory. The ghost is what is currently haunting our aviation sector.

At the pinnacle of it's operations, the asset of Nigerian Airways Limited was valued at a little over $6B all over the world. And the airline was flying to all continents with quality service at an affordable price.

The airline became a cesspit of monumental corruption when government officials took charge of it's administration. It got worst when free tickets were given to wives and concubines of government officials. Flight would be delayed for one minister held up at his girlfriend's birthday, prostitutes and pimps of ministers and airline's staffs were employed as air hostesses and aviation staffs. These among other pesky infractions killed Nigerian Airways.

With 10,000 staff strength and 32 fleet of aircraft as at 1979, Nigerian Airways was the pride of our nation back then not even our current quasi - national carrier (Arik Air) compares to it.

By 1999, the Nigerian Airways had only one serviceable aircraft left in it's fleet. By this time it had become Nigerian Airweighs, weighed down by it's debt burden.

Over N6 billion was stolen between 1993 and 1999 under the nose of two managing directors of the airline. This approximated figure is extracted from the report of the Justice Nwazota-led Commission of Inquiry that was set up shortly before the death of late President Musa Yar’Adua.

The Nigerian Airways was savagely raped like an orphan till the last straw that broke it's camel back in 2003 when # 25B mysteriously took flight from the airlines till.

Even at this point Nigerian Airways assets still far outweighs it's liabilities.

One then wonder why OBJ sold it off under the guise of "pocketization" oops! Privatization when he could have simply partnered with world class airlines like British Airways. Such arrangements is not strange in aviation as was recently witnessed between Alitalia and Etihad. Alitalia conceded some of their not so vibrant routes to Etihad. While the bailout partnership between Airfrance - KLM is also a good example.

Today, tiny countries like Rwanda, Kenya, Ethiopa, etc have a thriving national carrier. Ki lo ti wa je ni Nigeria? Rather than the senseless liquidity of Nigeria Airways, it would have partnered with some of these airlines exiting the Nigerian route on the premise of non repatriation of funds made on ticket sale. NAL would have been exchanging it's ticket sale money in those countries with partner airlines while the partner airlines would do same with NAL here in Nigeria. That way the FOREX policy won't force airlines to close business the way they are seen to be doing now, and it would be a win win situation.

Called from: http://afriwap.com/politics/united-and-emirates-airline-to-stop-flights-to-nigeria/
Re: United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:12am On Jun 30, 2016
truthspeaks:
Guy u r inviting insults (plan B) wen he can't offer a meaningful argument (plan A). Moreover they r paid agents so no matter wat u say, they must do their job even wen their family members r groaning under d economic hardship. They r all suffering n smiling
As in ehn their mata dey tire me. The worst they would do is get me banned, which wouldn't be a new thing.
Re: United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria by fulanimafia: 11:23am On Jun 30, 2016
PassingShot:

You mind the brain-damaged mourning wailers?

I just booked Emirates from Doha to Lagos for Sep 15th to Oct 6th and even made a thread of it here https://www.nairaland.com/3197056/claim-emirates-stops-flights-nigeria#47062741

But guess what, the mods don't want to take it to FP because they don't want to expose their own folly.

This site is full of sadists nowadays.

Lol did you actually create it in the travel section or have the 'mods' shown their colors again? grin
Re: United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria by donphilopus: 11:35am On Jun 30, 2016
idupaul:
Buhari shows why he is a monumental failure again

How far? You now see you're the monumental failure for failing to do your research before blaming the Presidency as usual?!

1 Like

Re: United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria by PassingShot(m): 11:41am On Jun 30, 2016
fulanimafia:

Lol did you actually create it in the travel section or have the 'mods' shown their colors again? grin
I created it in travel section first. Saw Lalasticlala on the thread but he didn't move it to FP. I then created it also in Politics section.

I guess they're ashamed to accept their error.

1 Like

Re: United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria by idupaul: 11:46am On Jun 30, 2016
donphilopus:

How far? You now see you're the monumental failure for failing to do your research before blaming the Presidency as usual?!

Na you sabi oo...i voted for the man so I know he is a monumental failure ..till he improves I will call him a failure at every given opportunity. ..oya go and hustle
..it's not like I am suffering sef it because of people like you I want Nigeria to become great so you can have sense small
Re: United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria by sasural: 11:56am On Jun 30, 2016
hazyfm:

Can't read the bold caption, is that English or Suweto?

Just asking though

Can you read it now?
Re: United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria by hazyfm: 12:14pm On Jun 30, 2016
sasural:

Can you read it now?

Yea, I can.
Your opinion though.

No life is great, only God is Great. No life is perfect, only God is. The fact i complained of Emirate being too expensive doesn't mean I am poor, maybe I'm just being prudent. Please tell that to the dumb head who tried insulting me, but ended up insulting himself.

Cheers
Re: United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria by dikeigbo2(m): 2:46pm On Jun 30, 2016
According to my uncle,in the dying days of Nigeria airways, one aircraft suffered it most...which they christened "The only son' ...dem dey load am like say tomorrow no dey.
But Emirates airline only stopped two flights a day ....particularly that of the evening flight..now they are on one flight a day.
Re: United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria by donphilopus: 3:12pm On Jun 30, 2016
idupaul:

Na you sabi oo...i voted for the man so I know he is a monumental failure ..till he improves I will call him a failure at every given opportunity. ..oya go and hustle
..it's not like I am suffering sef it because of people like you I want Nigeria to become great so you can have sense small

Hahahahaha.....

I'm the one suffering oooo....!!!

IdlePaul
Re: United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria by idupaul: 4:06pm On Jun 30, 2016
donphilopus:

Hahahahaha.....

I'm the one suffering oooo....!!!

IdlePaul

Yes na you were sounding like suffer don reach ya side at last grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

LASG Announces Traffic Diversion At Marina For Lagos Rail Mass Transit / Tipper Lorry Smashes Car In Benin City / The Dilapidated State Of Isu Okoma Roads In Ebonyi State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.