Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,820 members, 7,810,148 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:45 PM

Check Out These 11 Other Search Engines You Should Be Using Apart From Google - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Check Out These 11 Other Search Engines You Should Be Using Apart From Google (1452 Views)

Best File Manager App For Android You Should Be Using / Six Things To Expect From Google’s N13,000 Smartphone / 6 Cool Camon CX Features You Should Be Using (Pics Inside) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Check Out These 11 Other Search Engines You Should Be Using Apart From Google by kmcee: 1:30pm On Jun 30, 2016
“Google it!”. I bet you’ve heard that phrase or something similar like a million times (I know, you’re like…..)

Hey! Just kidding. But seriously, don’t you hear or say that often in relation to searching the web?

For most internet users, Google is the only platform they think (or know) of when it comes to making searches online – and that’s quite understandable. I mean, Google is the dominant search engine in most countries of the world.

But today isn’t Google’s day. It is for other players in the search engine game. So let me quit talking about Google.

The aim of this post is to put the spotlight on other search engines that deserve some recognition – the well-known ones and the not-so known.

And let me quickly add that, sometimes, Google may not give you the best results (or should i say, the results you are looking for), so you may have to turn to other available sources for answers. It’s like not putting all your eggs into one basket.

OK! Enough of the talk. Here are 11 other search engines you should be using besides Google.

1. Bing

This search engine doesn’t need an introduction. It is Google’s top contender in the search engine game. With a market share of over 20%, the Microsoft-owned search engine has been able to position itself as a viable alternative to Google.

Bing has an attractive homepage with frequently changing backgrounds, and does a little better than Google when it comes to basic search.

Although it has been able to convert some Google users, it still has a long way to go before it can be considered the leading search engine.

2. DuckDuckGo

If you are fed up with Google’s tracking habits and need a search engine that will respect your privacy, then DuckDuckGo is definitely worth trying out. It doesn’t keep track of your searches to serve you personalized results and ads. It promises not to use identifiable cookies, save your search history, and collect your personal data.

Aside being privacy-focused, DuckDuckGo offers a bunch of other interesting features. With !bangs, you can make searches on specific websites. For example, if you want to make a search for bluetooth speakers on Amazon, just type “!a bluetooth speakers”(without the quotation marks), and it will take you directly to the Amazon’s search result page for that query. You can even use the google bang (!g) to search google whenever you want to.

3. Wolfram Alpha

Wolfram Alpha is a computational knowledge engine. It’s the site you should be searching when you need facts. It does a lot of things Google can’t. It can handle complex scientific and mathematical problems. Just give it a problem to solve, and it’ll give you the answer, and a step-by-step explanation on how to arrive at the answer, if you care to know.

You can also enter two terms in the search box, and Wolfram Alpha will compare them for you. Whether its animals, websites, cities, countries – just anything and it will do a comparison for you.

4. ChaCha

ChaCha is a human-powered search engine. The concept is simple. Just input your query and hit the search button to get results. If you are not satisfied with the results, you can chat with someone who is knowledgeable on the topic you are researching.

The people who answer the questions on ChaCha are called Guides. They get paid for each search they conduct.

5. StartPage

StartPage is a privacy-focused search engine that returns Google search results. Although the search results are generated by Google, it does not use identifying cookies, record IP addresses, collect or share personal information.

It also uses a proxy service that allows users to anonymously view websites listed in the results. But this has a downside, pages load more slowly because Startpage has to retrieve the contents and redisplay them.

6. Ask

Formally known as Ask Jeeves, Ask is more of a question-answer platform known for accepting queries in natural language. It also lets you search the web like a search engine does, but aims to deliver answers, not just links.

7. Yandex

Yandex is Russia’s most popular search engine. It provides a lot of similar services as Google, and supports queries in several languages. Search results are displayed in a nice format with favicons placed on the left of each search snippet.

Overall, it’s a great search engine that is definitely worth checking out.

8. Dogpile

Dogpile used to be the choice search engine back in the day, until Google came along and took over. The search engine is gradually getting back on its feet and continues to aggregate its results from multiple sources like Yandex, Yahoo, and of course, Google.

Some of Dogpile’s features include search filters, white pages, favourite searches and preferences.

9. Internet Archive

This isn’t the kind of platform you’ll need to visit frequently for regular searches. You’ll find it most helpful when you need materials for academic research or want to go down history lane. This digital library houses millions of valuable information including images, software, books, videos and more.

It also lets users check how a website looked like at different times in the past.

10. Mahalo

Just like Chacha, its results are human-powered. It relies on a committee of contributors who sort out and submit search result pages to a centralized database for publishing.

The results Mahalo provides will certainly be fewer than that of Google and the like, but it promises to deliver higher quality content and relevant results.

11. Yippy

Yippy is technically a metasearch engine that is also dedicated to personal privacy and conservative values. It also searches out those contents that are not indexed by conventional search engines. So whenever you need to explore the deep web, Yippy will gladly be at your service.

CONCLUSION

There you have it. 11 other search engines you should be using besides Google. Which of the search engines do you love to use? Or is there any search engine you love that wasn’t mentioned in the article.

Source: http://www.techrade.com/11-search-engines-using-besides-google/
Re: Check Out These 11 Other Search Engines You Should Be Using Apart From Google by youngest85(m): 1:43pm On Jun 30, 2016
ok
Re: Check Out These 11 Other Search Engines You Should Be Using Apart From Google by robinicule(m): 4:59pm On Jun 30, 2016
12. Women
Re: Check Out These 11 Other Search Engines You Should Be Using Apart From Google by Dclique(m): 5:15pm On Jun 30, 2016
Wow, Out of all the search engines listed, I only know 3. In my opinion, Google and Bing are the best and the others are still learning.
Re: Check Out These 11 Other Search Engines You Should Be Using Apart From Google by Dclique(m): 5:15pm On Jun 30, 2016
Wow, Out of all the search engines listed, I only know 3. In my opinion, Google and Bing are the best and the others are still learning.
Re: Check Out These 11 Other Search Engines You Should Be Using Apart From Google by bolaji3071(m): 5:39pm On Jun 30, 2016
Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Check Out These 11 Other Search Engines You Should Be Using Apart From Google by kmcee: 9:10pm On Jun 30, 2016
Dclique:

That may be true, but you never can tell what will happen in the near future.
Re: Check Out These 11 Other Search Engines You Should Be Using Apart From Google by Skykid1208(m): 11:26pm On Jun 30, 2016
kmcee:
“Google it!”. I bet you’ve heard that phrase or something similar like a million times (I know, you’re like…..)

Hey! Just kidding. But seriously, don’t you hear or say that often in relation to searching the web?

For most internet users, Google is the only platform they think (or know) of when it comes to making searches online – and that’s quite understandable. I mean, Google is the dominant search engine in most countries of the world.

But today isn’t Google’s day. It is for other players in the search engine game. So let me quit talking about Google.

The aim of this post is to put the spotlight on other search engines that deserve some recognition – the well-known ones and the not-so known.

And let me quickly add that, sometimes, Google may not give you the best results (or should i say, the results you are looking for), so you may have to turn to other available sources for answers. It’s like not putting all your eggs into one basket.

OK! Enough of the talk. Here are 11 other search engines you should be using besides Google.

1. Bing

This search engine doesn’t need an introduction. It is Google’s top contender in the search engine game. With a market share of over 20%, the Microsoft-owned search engine has been able to position itself as a viable alternative to Google.

Bing has an attractive homepage with frequently changing backgrounds, and does a little better than Google when it comes to basic search.

Although it has been able to convert some Google users, it still has a long way to go before it can be considered the leading search engine.

2. DuckDuckGo

If you are fed up with Google’s tracking habits and need a search engine that will respect your privacy, then DuckDuckGo is definitely worth trying out. It doesn’t keep track of your searches to serve you personalized results and ads. It promises not to use identifiable cookies, save your search history, and collect your personal data.

Aside being privacy-focused, DuckDuckGo offers a bunch of other interesting features. With !bangs, you can make searches on specific websites. For example, if you want to make a search for bluetooth speakers on Amazon, just type “!a bluetooth speakers”(without the quotation marks), and it will take you directly to the Amazon’s search result page for that query. You can even use the google bang (!g) to search google whenever you want to.

3. Wolfram Alpha

Wolfram Alpha is a computational knowledge engine. It’s the site you should be searching when you need facts. It does a lot of things Google can’t. It can handle complex scientific and mathematical problems. Just give it a problem to solve, and it’ll give you the answer, and a step-by-step explanation on how to arrive at the answer, if you care to know.

You can also enter two terms in the search box, and Wolfram Alpha will compare them for you. Whether its animals, websites, cities, countries – just anything and it will do a comparison for you.

4. ChaCha

ChaCha is a human-powered search engine. The concept is simple. Just input your query and hit the search button to get results. If you are not satisfied with the results, you can chat with someone who is knowledgeable on the topic you are researching.

The people who answer the questions on ChaCha are called Guides. They get paid for each search they conduct.

5. StartPage

StartPage is a privacy-focused search engine that returns Google search results. Although the search results are generated by Google, it does not use identifying cookies, record IP addresses, collect or share personal information.

It also uses a proxy service that allows users to anonymously view websites listed in the results. But this has a downside, pages load more slowly because Startpage has to retrieve the contents and redisplay them.

6. Ask

Formally known as Ask Jeeves, Ask is more of a question-answer platform known for accepting queries in natural language. It also lets you search the web like a search engine does, but aims to deliver answers, not just links.

7. Yandex

Yandex is Russia’s most popular search engine. It provides a lot of similar services as Google, and supports queries in several languages. Search results are displayed in a nice format with favicons placed on the left of each search snippet.

Overall, it’s a great search engine that is definitely worth checking out.

8. Dogpile

Dogpile used to be the choice search engine back in the day, until Google came along and took over. The search engine is gradually getting back on its feet and continues to aggregate its results from multiple sources like Yandex, Yahoo, and of course, Google.

Some of Dogpile’s features include search filters, white pages, favourite searches and preferences.

9. Internet Archive

This isn’t the kind of platform you’ll need to visit frequently for regular searches. You’ll find it most helpful when you need materials for academic research or want to go down history lane. This digital library houses millions of valuable information including images, software, books, videos and more.

It also lets users check how a website looked like at different times in the past.

10. Mahalo

Just like Chacha, its results are human-powered. It relies on a committee of contributors who sort out and submit search result pages to a centralized database for publishing.

The results Mahalo provides will certainly be fewer than that of Google and the like, but it promises to deliver higher quality content and relevant results.

11. Yippy

Yippy is technically a metasearch engine that is also dedicated to personal privacy and conservative values. It also searches out those contents that are not indexed by conventional search engines. So whenever you need to explore the deep web, Yippy will gladly be at your service.

CONCLUSION

There you have it. 11 other search engines you should be using besides Google. Which of the search engines do you love to use? Or is there any search engine you love that wasn’t mentioned in the article.

Source: http://www.techrade.com/11-search-engines-using-besides-google/
Re: Check Out These 11 Other Search Engines You Should Be Using Apart From Google by 44: 12:01am On Jul 01, 2016
I kwn 5 up there. Duck Duck go does it 4 me.

1 Like

Re: Check Out These 11 Other Search Engines You Should Be Using Apart From Google by Flashh: 12:38am On Jul 01, 2016
I still prefer Google to these on your list.

2 Likes

Re: Check Out These 11 Other Search Engines You Should Be Using Apart From Google by mjames: 6:06pm On Jul 01, 2016
How do you enter their home page?
Re: Check Out These 11 Other Search Engines You Should Be Using Apart From Google by kmcee: 6:23pm On Jul 01, 2016
mjames:
How do you enter their home page?

Just search for any of them on google(or any other search engine you use). Most of them are either the first or second in the search results. Then click on the link to go to the homepage.
Re: Check Out These 11 Other Search Engines You Should Be Using Apart From Google by Slatemsk(m): 6:51pm On Jul 01, 2016
Nice one
Re: Check Out These 11 Other Search Engines You Should Be Using Apart From Google by kmcee: 7:51pm On Jul 01, 2016
Slatemsk:
Nice one
Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Airtel’s Smartconnect 2.0 Offers New Customers 6times Value Per Recharge / Resurrection Remix For Techno L8 Users / How Do I Know If Iphone 5 Is I Cloud Is Locked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.