Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:53 AM

Even Pastors Use Police Security - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Even Pastors Use Police Security (4212 Views)

Photo: Court Sentences Two Pastors To 7 Years Imprisonment For Stealing N32M / Quote Me, Pastors Use Juju To Hold Their Members! --- Guru Maharaj Ji’s / Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Even Pastors Use Police Security by Nobody: 2:24pm On Sep 06, 2009
Example is Sam Osaghae of popular Believers Ministry in benin city who was kidnapped recently. He now uses police security at each church service. Even another pastor of a growing church on the same street Miracle Assembly now uses police security too.
I laugh. How can this man now preach to me about faith in divine protection when he denies the same with his actions.
This is a pity. God dosent mean anymore to "men of God" like this around Nigeria if they can rely on the corrupt police to protect them.
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by KunleOshob(m): 3:03pm On Sep 06, 2009
At least we know where they place their faith.
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by zmurda(m): 3:45pm On Sep 06, 2009
grin grin grin grin

Do you think the police can give any protection?

I tire for you o

The truth is its probably a status thing : I better pass my neighbor mentality

All the police would do is prevent the poor members from begging the good pastor for favors. The rich ones are always welcomed
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by Ogaga4Luv(m): 4:24pm On Sep 06, 2009
I will kill all the Fucking pastors. . .i hate them!! and alway's send them off where they belong. angry
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by gen2genius(m): 5:33pm On Sep 06, 2009
The problem with most cynics and skeptics like you is that you never take time to think deeply about an issue before spewing out rubbish. This is not the first time this topic is being raised and I think it's time someone cured you and your cronies of your ignoble ignorance.

Truly, the Scripture enjoins all believers to exercise faith in God in every area of their lives; but it never says we shouldn't apply our intellect, abilities and commonsense when necessary. If you're so obsessed with the issue of security, what would you say about provision of basic necessities?  God promised to supply all our needs just as he promised to protect us, but does it mean we shouldn't work for our daily bread? God promised to keep us away from every form of sickness and disease but does that mean we should neglect the rules of hygiene?

When God promises to do something for you, it doesn't imply that you become careless and negligent of your own role - because faith without works is useless! You can't expect God to do for you what he has ENABLED and EMPOWERED you to do for yourself. By doing so, you're tempting God and abusing the divine privileges he has given you. In case you don't know, this was the focus of the first and second temptations Satan posed to Christ. In the first temptation, he asked him to use his spiritual power to turn stones into bread. Christ could have done so; but that would be tantamount to abuse of spiritual power. If he needed to eat, the right thing to do was to go get food the natural way. There was plenty of foodstuff in the market; why should he expect God to turn stones to bread for him? In the second instance, he was tempted by Satan to jump down from the pinnacle of the temple - because it had been written that God would protect him. But he refused because that would be sheer foolhardy!

Back to the issue of security. Would you say Pastors and other Christians should not lock and bolt the doors of their houses when necessary because God has promised to protect them? Wouldn't that be senseless and presumptuous? And for your information, right from the Bible days believers in God have been applying their God-given wisdom to protect themselves in their own ways. I'll give you a few examples in both the Old and the New Testaments of the Bible.

1. When Nehemiah and his people were rebuilding the walls of Jerusalem, they faced serious challenges from enemies who didn't want them to succeed in the task. Now, even though they expected God to help them overcome these enemies, they were sensible enough to know that they had a part to play. Here is Nehemiah's account of the event: And I looked, and rose up, and said unto the nobles, and to the rulers, and to the rest of the people, Be not ye afraid of them: remember the Lord, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses.  And it came to pass, when our enemies heard that it was known unto us, and God had brought their counsel to nought, that we returned all of us to the wall, every one unto his work. And it came to pass from that time forth, that the half of my servants wrought in the work, and the other half of them held both the spears, the shields, and the bows, and the habergeons; and the rulers were behind all the house of Judah. They which builded on the wall, and they that bare burdens, with those that laded, every one with one of his hands wrought in the work, and with the other hand held a weapon. (Nehemiah 4:13-17).

2. When Herod beheaded James and his Jewish supporters expressed their approval, he wasted no time in arresting Peter, with the aim of beheading him too! What did the rest of the apostles do? They simply converged in the house of John Mark and LOCKED the gate while they prayed for Peter's release.  And when Peter was come to himself, he said, Now I know of a surety, that the Lord hath sent his angel, and hath delivered me out of the hand of Herod, and from all the expectation of the people of the Jews. And when he had considered the thing, he came to the house of Mary the mother of John, whose surname was Mark; where many were gathered together praying. And as Peter knocked at the door of the gate, a damsel came to hearken, named Rhoda. And when she knew Peter's voice, she opened not the gate for gladness, but ran in, and told how Peter stood before the gate. (Acts 12:11-14).

3. When Paul was to go to Rome and he got the report that some people were plotting to kill him, he did not take the matter for granted in the name of "faith." Instead, he asked that the case be reported to the Chief Captain, so he could be provided with adequate security. And guess what the Chief Captain did? He ordered that 470 security guards be assigned to Paul on the journey and Paul gladly agreed to the arrangement. Here is the account: And when it was day, certain of the Jews banded together, and bound themselves under a curse, saying that they would neither eat nor drink till they had killed Paul. And they were more than forty which had made this conspiracy. And they came to the chief priests and elders, and said, We have bound ourselves under a great curse, that we will eat nothing until we have slain Paul. Now therefore ye with the council signify to the chief captain that he bring him down unto you to morrow, as though ye would enquire something more perfectly concerning him: and we, or ever he come near, are ready to kill him. And when Paul's sister's son heard of their lying in wait, he went and entered into the castle, and told Paul. Then Paul called one of the centurions unto him, and said, Bring this young man unto the chief captain: for he hath a certain thing to tell him. So he took him, and brought him to the chief captain, and said, Paul the prisoner called me unto him, and prayed me to bring this young man unto thee, who hath something to say unto thee. Then the chief captain took him by the hand, and went with him aside privately, and asked him, What is that thou hast to tell me? And he said, The Jews have agreed to desire thee that thou wouldest bring down Paul to morrow into the council, as though they would enquire somewhat of him more perfectly. But do not thou yield unto them: for there lie in wait for him of them more than forty men, which have bound themselves with an oath, that they will neither eat nor drink till they have killed him: and now are they ready, looking for a promise from thee. So the chief captain then let the young man depart, and charged him, See thou tell no man that thou hast shewed these things to me. And he called unto him two centurions, saying, Make ready two hundred soldiers to go to Caesarea, and horsemen threescore and ten, and spearmen two hundred, at the third hour of the night; And provide them beasts, that they may set Paul on, and bring him safe unto Felix the governor.

So, get this into your head. You pray to God for victory in battles; but you must keep your gunpowder dry!
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by zmurda(m): 5:54pm On Sep 06, 2009
@gen2genius

i feel for the Nigerian pysche. Gaddammit!!!

Do people still think like you do?

Being an apologist for what is clearly wrong, justifying police protection for 'men of God'

I do hope the story about police protection is not true though. We don't have a other sources, so I'll calm my mind and assume its just a joke!
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by gen2genius(m): 6:09pm On Sep 06, 2009
That's all bigoted critics do - rant, rant and rant without considering other people's views. I posted a comprehensive explanation for you with the hope that you'd be reasonable enough to read, analyse and make sensible remarks. Unfortunately, you seem to be contented with languishing in your cocoon of ignorance and irrationality. Ramble on. . . wink
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by Ogaga4Luv(m): 6:27pm On Sep 06, 2009
. . . The next time someone tells me that Jesus died for my sins, I'm tempted to reply, "Oh yeah? Well,OGAGA spent several thousand years getting his liver ripped out just so you could cook your food-- and HE doesn't threaten to punish you if you don't worship him!. . .

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion." kiss
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by bawomolo(m): 11:04pm On Sep 06, 2009
every business empire has to protect it's most valuable assets.
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by chic2pimp(m): 11:18pm On Sep 06, 2009
@ POST Hehehehe. Na so we see am for naija oooo. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by Akanniade(m): 10:24am On Sep 07, 2009
gen2genius:

The problem with most cynics and skeptics like you is that you never take time to think deeply about an issue before spewing out rubbish. This is not the first time this topic is being raised and I think it's time someone cured you and your cronies of your ignoble ignorance.

Truly, the Scripture enjoins all believers to exercise faith in God in every area of their lives; but it never says we shouldn't apply our intellect, abilities and commonsense when necessary. If you're so obsessed with the issue of security, what would you say about provision of basic necessities?  God promised to supply all our needs just as he promised to protect us, but does it mean we shouldn't work for our daily bread? God promised to keep us away from every form of sickness and disease but does that mean we should neglect the rules of hygiene?

When God promises to do something for you, it doesn't imply that you become careless and negligent of your own role - because faith without works is useless! You can't expect God to do for you what he has ENABLED and EMPOWERED you to do for yourself. By doing so, you're tempting God and abusing the divine privileges he has given you. In case you don't know, this was the focus of the first and second temptations Satan posed to Christ. In the first temptation, he asked him to use his spiritual power to turn stones into bread. Christ could have done so; but that would be tantamount to abuse of spiritual power. If he needed to eat, the right thing to do was to go get food the natural way. There was plenty of foodstuff in the market; why should he expect God to turn stones to bread for him? In the second instance, he was tempted by Satan to jump down from the pinnacle of the temple - because it had been written that God would protect him. But he refused because that would be sheer foolhardy!

Back to the issue of security. Would you say Pastors and other Christians should not lock and bolt the doors of their houses when necessary because God has promised to protect them? Wouldn't that be senseless and presumptuous? And for your information, right from the Bible days believers in God have been applying their God-given wisdom to protect themselves in their own ways. I'll give you a few examples in both the Old and the New Testaments of the Bible.

1. When Nehemiah and his people were rebuilding the walls of Jerusalem, they faced serious challenges from enemies who didn't want them to succeed in the task. Now, even though they expected God to help them overcome these enemies, they were sensible enough to know that they had a part to play. Here is Nehemiah's account of the event: And I looked, and rose up, and said unto the nobles, and to the rulers, and to the rest of the people, Be not ye afraid of them: remember the Lord, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses.  And it came to pass, when our enemies heard that it was known unto us, and God had brought their counsel to nought, that we returned all of us to the wall, every one unto his work. And it came to pass from that time forth, that the half of my servants wrought in the work, and the other half of them held both the spears, the shields, and the bows, and the habergeons; and the rulers were behind all the house of Judah. They which builded on the wall, and they that bare burdens, with those that laded, every one with one of his hands wrought in the work, and with the other hand held a weapon. (Nehemiah 4:13-17).

2. When Herod beheaded James and his Jewish supporters expressed their approval, he wasted no time in arresting Peter, with the aim of beheading him too! What did the rest of the apostles do? They simply converged in the house of John Mark and LOCKED the gate while they prayed for Peter's release. And when Peter was come to himself, he said, Now I know of a surety, that the Lord hath sent his angel, and hath delivered me out of the hand of Herod, and from all the expectation of the people of the Jews. And when he had considered the thing, he came to the house of Mary the mother of John, whose surname was Mark; where many were gathered together praying. And as Peter knocked at the door of the gate, a damsel came to hearken, named Rhoda. And when she knew Peter's voice, she opened not the gate for gladness, but ran in, and told how Peter stood before the gate. (Acts 12:11-14).

3. When Paul was to go to Rome and he got the report that some people were plotting to kill him, he did not take the matter for granted in the name of "faith." Instead, he asked that the case be reported to the Chief Captain, so he could be provided with adequate security. And guess what the Chief Captain did? He ordered that 470 security guards be assigned to Paul on the journey and Paul gladly agreed to the arrangement. Here is the account: And when it was day, certain of the Jews banded together, and bound themselves under a curse, saying that they would neither eat nor drink till they had killed Paul. And they were more than forty which had made this conspiracy. And they came to the chief priests and elders, and said, We have bound ourselves under a great curse, that we will eat nothing until we have slain Paul. Now therefore ye with the council signify to the chief captain that he bring him down unto you to morrow, as though ye would enquire something more perfectly concerning him: and we, or ever he come near, are ready to kill him. And when Paul's sister's son heard of their lying in wait, he went and entered into the castle, and told Paul. Then Paul called one of the centurions unto him, and said, Bring this young man unto the chief captain: for he hath a certain thing to tell him. So he took him, and brought him to the chief captain, and said, Paul the prisoner called me unto him, and prayed me to bring this young man unto thee, who hath something to say unto thee. Then the chief captain took him by the hand, and went with him aside privately, and asked him, What is that thou hast to tell me? And he said, The Jews have agreed to desire thee that thou wouldest bring down Paul to morrow into the council, as though they would enquire somewhat of him more perfectly. But do not thou yield unto them: for there lie in wait for him of them more than forty men, which have bound themselves with an oath, that they will neither eat nor drink till they have killed him: and now are they ready, looking for a promise from thee. So the chief captain then let the young man depart, and charged him, See thou tell no man that thou hast shewed these things to me. And he called unto him two centurions, saying, Make ready two hundred soldiers to go to Caesarea, and horsemen threescore and ten, and spearmen two hundred, at the third hour of the night; And provide them beasts, that they may set Paul on, and bring him safe unto Felix the governor.

So, get this into your head. You pray to God for victory in battles; but you must keep your gunpowder dry!

Stop darkening counsel by words without knowledge. The authorities could not even recognise Jesus until he was pointed out by judas. if all the pastors keep a low profile like Jesus asked us to, they wouldnt need the mopols and bodyguards.
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by Maykelly(f): 10:43am On Sep 07, 2009
is not bad at all. they should be the one in the best places cool
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by Ogaga4Luv(m): 10:46am On Sep 07, 2009
[size=40pt]. . . The next time someone tells me that Jesus died for my sins, I'm tempted to reply, "Oh yeah? Well,OGAGA spent several thousand years getting his liver ripped out just so you could cook your food-- and HE doesn't threaten to punish you if you don't worship him!. . .[/size]
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by cheries: 11:12am On Sep 07, 2009
They do not know the God that they serve.
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by steroid: 11:13am On Sep 07, 2009
people must understand that christianity does not make u a fool. In the bible, Joseph and Mary went and hid with baby JESUS when king herod was looking for him. that is nothing short of wisdom. Let me ask those talking out of ignorance what do you have to say about it. PLS PLS PLS!!!, be wise. God has giving us brains and U dont expect him to come and use it for U guys.
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by spikedcylinder: 11:21am On Sep 07, 2009
z-murda:

The truth is its probably a status thing : I better pass my neighbor mentality

No more, no less.
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by GEW: 11:41am On Sep 07, 2009
steroid:

people must understand that christianity does not make u a fool. In the bible, Joseph and Mary went and hid with  baby JESUS when king herod was looking for him. that is nothing short of wisdom. Let me ask those talking out of ignorance what do you have to say about it. PLS PLS PLS!!!, be wise. God has giving us brains and U dont expect him to come and use it for U guys.
thank you.  most nigerians say what they wont do. someone didnt notice the OP said the man has been kidnapped before.  when did foolishness become fashionable in lawless nigeria?

when you live in the midst of greedy get rich quick and at all cost people like nigerians who think it is their God given right to have access to wealth they cant create what you begin to see are anormalies like this.

nigeria is a failed lawless state so you have to expect behaviours like these pastors are  exhibiting.
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by remoranger(m): 11:41am On Sep 07, 2009
of course they need security

like most dubious businessmen. they need to be protected from those they have DUPED, ARE DUPING AND INTEND TO DUPE
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by soloqy: 11:51am On Sep 07, 2009
Akanniade:

Stop darkening cousel by words without knowledge. The authorities could not even recognise Jesus until he was pointed out by judas. if all the pastors keep a low profile like Jesus asked us to, they wouldnt need the mopols and bodyguards.

Awesome post. The highlighted part. Simply splendid.
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by r231(m): 11:52am On Sep 07, 2009
KunleOshob:

with a policeman dat will run wen dey hear gun shot
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by MrCrackles(m): 12:04pm On Sep 07, 2009
What the fuc.k do pastors need bloody police security for angry
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by darlous(m): 12:08pm On Sep 07, 2009
Are pastors not human being; Even policemen seek for spiritual prortection from pastors
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by AKO1(m): 12:21pm On Sep 07, 2009
KunleOshob:

Not exactly, at least not for everyone of them.

We might all as well refuse to take security precautions, no matter how basic or 'advanced' they are.

Shebi after all, God protects us.
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by Nobody: 12:23pm On Sep 07, 2009
darlous:

Are pastors not human being; Even policemen seek for spiritual prortection from pastors

I think its the other way round now. I wonder why a pastor would have a long line of security men and what he will preach to his congregation. Its so sad but these pastors are so decietful and nothing in their lives matches the scriptures. They are just businessmen seeking for opportunities to increase their wealth.
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by Oluschenco(m): 12:25pm On Sep 07, 2009
The Lord is my own shepherd.
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by Nezan(m): 12:27pm On Sep 07, 2009
How godly are the claimed men of God? It is your personal relationship with God that matters.
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by agitator: 12:40pm On Sep 07, 2009
darlous:

Trade by barter. interesting grin
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by oluajana(m): 1:14pm On Sep 07, 2009
Churches now operate like business outfits; I will not be surprised when they start giving workers/members target-newcomers/souls.
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by Maykelly(f): 1:53pm On Sep 07, 2009
Ogaga4Luv:

[size=40pt]. . . The next time someone tells me that Jesus died for my sins, I'm tempted to reply, "Oh yeah? Well,OGAGA spent several thousand years getting his liver ripped out just so you could cook your food-- and HE doesn't threaten to punish you if you don't worship him!. . .[/size]

[size=50pt]I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins! [/size] John 8:24
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by stevemike1: 1:56pm On Sep 07, 2009
These critics should go and stay in front of a moving car and believing that with faith that the car will not kill them or rather they should take a cup of cyanide believing that it will not kill them

This country is very bad, we should balme the government for not doing their home work very well rather than the men of God, come to look at it is because of hardship that are making some men of God to go into ministry whether they have th calling or not, if the government have done their home work very well probably some of these fake men of God would have venture into some thing good for them.

please send your criticism to the past government rather than the men of God
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by becomrich15: 3:33pm On Sep 07, 2009
Re: Even Pastors Use Police Security by spikedcylinder: 3:40pm On Sep 07, 2009
steve mike:

These critics should go and stay in front of a moving car and believing that with faith that the car will not kill them or rather they should take a cup of cyanide believing that it will not kill them

This country is very bad, we should balme the government for not doing their home work very well rather than the men of God, come to look at it is because of hardship that are making some men of God to go into ministry whether they have th calling or not, if the government have done their home work very well probably some of these fake men of God would have venture into some thing good for them.

please send your criticism to the past government rather than the men of God

This is embarrassing. You are seriously comparing using Police escort to drinking cyanide? embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Messi: I Did Not Donate Money To Those Who Kill Children(isreal) / The Sadistic Nature Of Earth-life / Defending The Misquoted Noble Quran Verses & Eemaan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.