Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,845 members, 7,813,853 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:50 PM

The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think (33941 Views)

DESOPADEC Workers Strip Unclad To Protest Non-Payment Of Bonuses (Pics) / Kogi: Children Of ‘big Men’ Among 18,471 Ghost Workers‎ – Report / Helmet Colours And Categories Of Workers That Wear Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by DjAndroid: 9:14am On Jul 05, 2016
Only footballers are what we think, others na wash especially bankers.

5 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Taiyescott(m): 9:14am On Jul 05, 2016
we are all illusionist and dix world we live in is an illusion in itself.. so??
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by freddaboh(m): 9:14am On Jul 05, 2016
Nice piece
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by mayour16(m): 9:15am On Jul 05, 2016
Yeah, everyone does. But then, there are so many other silent money spinning jobs out there.

Can you talk more about the other silent money spinning jobs out there?
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Adekanmmy(m): 9:16am On Jul 05, 2016
It's not about working in a big company, what matters is how do u utilize the little you r earning.

6 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Asylum(m): 9:17am On Jul 05, 2016
Lame excuse.... Must you do all in a year? Or even 5yrs is too short to start thinking about all that...

2 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by yousouph07(m): 9:17am On Jul 05, 2016
Its better than nothing. You just have to apply wisdom
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by ajbabs(m): 9:18am On Jul 05, 2016
Hmmm
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Goldenheart(m): 9:19am On Jul 05, 2016
Its Stupeed To Be What You Not, Be Yourself And You Will Be Fine. #shikamaru
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by oglalasioux(m): 9:19am On Jul 05, 2016
At the beginning you buy clothes and sew new natives,you buy shoes etc. After a few years you wear 1 shirt for 2 years. You spend more on people than on your self. It is to take solace in the fact that one has helped people in need at least.

Thanks for the consolation. After 8 years in the industry I practically thanked God I lost my job. At a point the whole of my village came to me for one help or the other. Stupid as I was I didn't have the power to say no.

7 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Afritop(m): 9:20am On Jul 05, 2016
joedams:

You have this career built up in your head, and you plan on working hard to achieve it, then your family members start making demands, you have social, community and even spiritual demands etc. Cost of living continues to build up (only for you), you get married, have children and need a good car for yourself, wife and a good house that befits your ‘status’ and dreams

Then you notice you cant cough out 15 million to buy a land to build house because even if your salary is N1m per month and allowances are another 6 to 8m annually, you have living expenses and so you don’t have bulk money.

INFACT it is Because they spoilt you that you have to paste rubbish. Because you earn N1m per month plus N8m annual allowance does not imply you buy land worth N15m when there are affordable lands scattered all over the country.
and you don't have to rentn a mansion to show you are an oil worker.
As for spiritual demand, I don't know which witch still dey follow you and wey still allow you to dey remain as oil worker

1 Like

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Fran6ik: 9:22am On Jul 05, 2016
@OP have u lived in warri, ph nd akwaibom? av u been to Kwale, Ughelli? Bayelsa nko My guy OIL WORKERS ARE FUCKINGLY RICH.. av u seen hw rich a Chevron worker is?? A GT staff in NNPC is way far richer dan some state politicians.. guys dere is moni in O&G

2 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by dauntless15(m): 9:23am On Jul 05, 2016
cock and bull story, our oil everyone is stealing from i choosed to work for it and someone is telling me story blah blah blah, this things are not peculiar to oil workers alone everyone takes loan, even people with lesser pay, they all have family problems too, what about bankers who has the least of job security? The bottom line is oil workers make money so if you choose to be buying car and wanting to live large and you became bankrupt its your cup of tea it doesn't mean we will all suffer same fate, i might choose to use my own millions biuld a nice duplex of four bedrooms fully and tastefully furnished and where am from five million can biuld a four bedroom and even roof it, and I'll relocate my family there, then visit once in a while then I'll keep saving and paying for my self contain apartment where I'm workin, must you buy car immediately you start working?

3 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by mmsen: 9:24am On Jul 05, 2016
It's very rare that anyone becomes wealthy working for someone else.

And it's your fault if people are draining your wallet before you can spend your money - how much you earn is none of anyone else's business. If that means keeping your job title to yourself (and a trusted few) then so be it.

Learn to keep your dealings private and learn to say no. Those are tips that you will save you a lot of money.
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by twentyk(m): 9:25am On Jul 05, 2016
He better pass factory workers
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Nobody: 9:26am On Jul 05, 2016
edbor:
Please who has 50million naira to pay back 80million in 10years? cheesy
pm me
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by StevenJay01(m): 9:31am On Jul 05, 2016
nonsense post

1 Like

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by kokosheen(m): 9:32am On Jul 05, 2016
In addition to the OP, with the erratic oil price, layoffs are rampant and catch most people unawares as they still have that big loan running, they still have to pay the crazy school fees, even though they own the house, as it's in a posh estate, the service charge is enough to rent a 5 bed house in Ajah, they still need to maintain the Benz and range rovers that 1 tyre cost 150k and a shock cost 200k.
It would be worse if the oil worker's is sacked due to an infraction which means no terminal benefit to offset some of these loans and no referal opportunity as the person has wasted all his/her years of employment with that company.

5 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by lailo: 9:33am On Jul 05, 2016
I have a good gov job and a good pay but later I realised d good salary could not cater for my needs cum family needs.I ventured into difft types of busineses in addition to my gov job.Ive done catfish business b4,gone into poultry,and now I'm into laundry business.With all these im still struggling to meet up with life's demands.I dnt think someone can have one stream of income and live a comfortable life in Nigeria.It is either u engage in collecting bribes in ur job like police and other civil jobs or u engage in fraudulent activities or arm-robbery.Think I talk well.

1 Like

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by gbadexy(m): 9:33am On Jul 05, 2016
mayorchelsea:
This write-up is too fictional.Why would any sane salary earner obtain humongous loan for marriage?Why can't I own a house with the figures mentioned?I still want to be an oil worker!
Exactly. Just trying to discourage others or downplay the career for some reason.
At the end of the two loans, he at least has two buildings.

1 Like

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by goodluckebi(m): 9:34am On Jul 05, 2016
Fran6ik:
@OP have u lived in warri, ph nd akwaibom? av u been to Kwale, Ughelli? Bayelsa nko My guy OIL WORKERS ARE FUCKINGLY RICH.. av u seen hw rich a Chevron worker is?? A GT staff in NNPC is way far richer dan some state politicians.. guys dere is moni in O&G
.. Do oil worker's still make money, taught dy had a lot of problems

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by izufrancis(m): 9:35am On Jul 05, 2016
I had to read diz post 3 times, Wats ur point?

1 Like

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by afroxyz: 9:36am On Jul 05, 2016
Seriously OP, someone earns N1m monthly and is still complaining? She needs her brain examined. Always trying to keep up with the jonses. But you are very right. We are not what you think we are. This is what me and my colleagues were discussing yesterday night. The hype is too much. Those that entered the industry in the 90s and early 2000s made it big. But what I have learnt from this industry is that money is a state of the mind. Its not how much your earn, but what you do with what you earn. I see some of my co-workers who have worked on other rigs and collected huge pay-offs, some to the tune of 12m, yet they still come and hustle jobs of 200k plus and I ask myself WTF. If I have any advise for people, please no carry oil work for your head. Give yourself a target, achieve it, leave and go and do something more profitable with your life

8 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by PLEXPLEX(m): 9:39am On Jul 05, 2016
How can i b that foolish planner. Me no go live like that if i get oil job walahi
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Brightgem(f): 9:39am On Jul 05, 2016
Whatever I want to say, reasonable ones have said. Those saying we must do! Oil job or na die! lol! This isnt even abt being oil job or not, it cud refer to any other well paid job, the main thing here is to listen to the underlying message here! no matter how much u have money will finish, dnt spend beyond ur means, a life of debts is a sorry life especially debts that carries a lot interest. If u live within ur means and invest in a thing or two, u will be better off.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Nobody: 9:41am On Jul 05, 2016
I have worked in the oil and gas sector all my post-NYSC career of over 8 years. I think what the OP said is largely true.

A number of points I want to make

1, There is tendency to be ostentatious among oil and gas workers to live up to societal expectation of "oyel" worker. But personal discipline makes a difference. I have a junior colleague that was earning less than me and living in a 2.5m rented apartment in Lekki Phase 1, while I lived in a 500k rented house in innner Ajah while doing projects.Although we can argue these are personal choices, convenience comparison etc. Unfortunately, the friend was affected by a recent job cut.

2, There is pressure from friends and family, but this is the case for every working person irrespective of sector. In fact, maybe bankers even have more pressure (well, until recently).

3, Banks chase you with personal loans because they know you have a means to pay back.

4, Many oil and gas worker feel too arrogant to engage in side businesses. I spent the first 6 years of my career having that mentality too. It was only recently that I converted. Despite working in the industry, I run 2 small businesses (career consulting and a barbing salon), whose combined annual turnover is less than my 2 months salary. But I know I have something by the side.

Many oil workers "pity" me. A colleague, an HR person that knows my pay, reading my personal text (on my career consulting) saw where I sent sms to someone to pay 3k for CV review service and was shocked. She doesn't know what the little drops from side business can do.

Overall, I think if you get a good job in an oil and gas company, especially upstream, with proper discipline, you can do wonders with your life in few years.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by freezyprinzy(m): 9:46am On Jul 05, 2016
I still wantu b an oyel worker illusion or not
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by tushbobo(m): 9:49am On Jul 05, 2016
Working in an oil firm is good but the mentality that it will solve all your problems is what you should guard against. Even billionaires have similar issues because the bigger the engine,the bigger the exhaust.

The oil firms take safety and controls seriously and sometimes to extremes.
Controls will tell you what you should and should not do with your life and if you are not careful your life may roll by without you having motivation to start your own thing especially since you work in a condusive environment with relatively good pay.With the current drop in oil prices and massive layoffs in oil firms, reality has dawned on many to take their own decisions.

But overall the pros of working for an oil company outweigh the cons.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by MrEverest(m): 9:51am On Jul 05, 2016
Wow, what an eye opener! I studied Geology at FUTO, then the dream of everyone in our department was to work in an oil firm but on graduation only an insignificant fraction of us were able to succeed. Needless to say that I envied them but later, I went into business & today I have diversified into enterprenueship, property agent & agriculturist(plantain plantation). I consider myself to be relatively successful based on the fact that I barely crossed 3 decades in life. Well not all that glitters are gold, its all about focus, smart work & contentment to live a good life.

6 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by alt3r3g0: 9:53am On Jul 05, 2016
Everyone needs to plan their lives

3 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 9:56am On Jul 05, 2016

1 Like

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Izonpikin: 9:57am On Jul 05, 2016
AnakinSkywalker:
Hard Truth. We all thought we could do better. Yes while some are very disciplined, you still have to do a lot of things based on financial power and status. You want the best schools for kids, you want the best areas to live at. You dont want to be driving a range rover home in Ajegunle.

And, wow, 20 % interest on cooperative Loan? Which Oil Company is that? They must have raised their own capital. No, boss. In ours they get it for that from the bank and add their own interest of about 2-5 percent. Making it between 22 to 25 per cent for the loan.

While, I will not discourage anyone from getting a job in the industry whether as Regulator, Contractor or Operator, they must plan their lives properly.

At the beginning you buy clothes and sew new natives,you buy shoes etc. After a few years you wear 1 shirt for 2 years. You spend more on people than on your self. It is to take solace in the fact that one has helped people in need at least.

It is why I swore I must delve into business. A lot of workers have damned the conflict of interest bla bla bla and gone ahead to set up business establishments. "We cannot come and go and die"

exactly Bro. ..there's really much illusions associated with working with oil workers...but I think the most conservative persons thrive the best...talking about marriage a very resourceful and hardworking wife can cushion much of the financial burdens associated with loans and acquiring properties...

The one that kills is having to help relatives all over the place because of much suffering in the country....finally make our government help cut down poverty rate make we fit work enjoy our money without having to over worry about relatives....its so damp hard...

But for sure business is vital to create many revenue streams to cope with financial burdens

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Carrying 5 Bags Of Cement On His Head. .. / Nigerian Army 87RRI Shortlisted Candidates 2024/2025 / 7 Ways To Make Money Online Without Being Scammed…

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.