Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,458 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] (8379 Views)

New Study Shows Ancient Israelites Didn't Wipe Out The Canaanites / Astronomy In The Ancient World. / Wonders Of The World; World's Current Biggest Ship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by johnydon22(m): 6:36pm On Jul 04, 2016
Modern man has always boasted of superior technology and knowledge than ancient human but as these ancient societies were also just as human as us with same brain and curious nature they achieved remarkable feats that we still stand in awe at their mastery.

They have been stupendous feats achieved with such a crude technology [so very rich in slave labour] that mostly how they pulled it off without modern technology and tools still remain a massive bugging question humbling our intellectual ego.

there are several thousands of such remarkable ancient masterpiece but let us mention the few we can spare.
Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by johnydon22(m): 6:50pm On Jul 04, 2016
Great Pyramids of Giza In Egypt

The Pyramids were built at the pinnacle of the flourishing period of the great ancient egyptian civilizations, up to 130 them still stands till this day though there is still chance that very many more still lurk buried deep in the desertic lands of the nile.

The pyramids held the record for the tallest man made structures in the world for more than 4,000 years after there were built and up to this day remains one of the few outstanding work of ancient architecture and engineering mastery standing nearly intact.

The Pyramids were developed from small temples dedicated to dead pharaohs which slowly evolved in height to be closer to Ra [Sun God] and developed to what we have today.

The pyramids of Giza attributed to an ancient egyptian architect Imhotep built 2584 and 2561 BCE for the Egyptian Pharaoh Khufu.

Though massive slave labour was certainly utilized, how they managed to pull of such engineering feat with remarkable geometrical mastery still is awe striking to us.

[P.s: Several other civilizations also built pyramids even the small Igbo pyramids at Nsudde.]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by RobinHez(m): 6:59pm On Jul 04, 2016
Takes front seat....
Na this kin thing I dey like! cheesy
Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by RobinHez(m): 7:03pm On Jul 04, 2016
Er... Uncle Johnny, I saw this piece of info on my G+ feed... I dunno how true it is (heck! I seriously doubt it's authenticity! angry)

Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by johnydon22(m): 7:05pm On Jul 04, 2016
Hanging Towers of Babylon

You have probably heard about King Nebuchadnezzar - viewed as one of the most powerful King to have ruled in ancient kingdoms.

This is not about his military or masculine power this is about Love, the beast in love.

Nebuchadnezzar married the young beautiful Amtis from the kingdom of Media a very tropical land with beautiful green veiled moutains, trees, green grasses, flowers.

The new queen became very home sick and missed the usual green beauty of her hometown in contrast to the harsh sun baked sandy lands of Babylonia.

King Nebuchadnezzar decided to bring media to her - he had a tower built almost 75feet tall, filled with flowers, trees, grasses to give the queen a little slice of home.

Such edifice certainly is a masterpiece that shows architectural wizardry of the Babylonians..

the irrigation system of such work in ancient times is still a thing of wonder..

Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by johnydon22(m): 7:07pm On Jul 04, 2016
RobinHez:
Er... Uncle Johnny, I saw this piece of info on my G+ feed... I dunno how true it is (heck! I seriously doubt it's authenticity! angry)

2ft wall around the earth? that almost certainly untrue no doubt... A severe lie that is

1 Like

Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by RobinHez(m): 7:09pm On Jul 04, 2016
johnydon22:

2ft wall around the earth? that almost certainly untrue no doubt... A severe lie that is
Obviously...
Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by johnydon22(m): 7:21pm On Jul 04, 2016
Statue of Zeus at Olympia

In order to show the full splendor and majesty of the father of the Gods the Greeks had to go extra miles to produce a world of art and architecture that is so majestic and beautiful that it's very reputation lingers to this day.

The Statue of Zeus at Olympia was 40 feet (12 metres) high and presented the
great god seated on a throne with skin of ivory and robes of hammered gold .

The statue was created by the sculptor Phidias, who also worked on the
Parthenon of Athens. Visitors to the site were dwarfed by the immense statue
which was situated, and probably lighted, to produce great feelings of awe,
wonder, and humility.

After the rise of Christianity , the Temple at Olympia was increasingly neglected and fell into ruin and the Olympic Games , then considered `pagan rites' were banned by the church.

The statue was carried off to Constantinople where it was destroyed at some point in an earthquake in the 5th or 6th centuries CE.

Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by bqlekan(m): 7:25pm On Jul 04, 2016
Booked
Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by iykekelvins(m): 7:32pm On Jul 04, 2016
Juss in case
Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by johnydon22(m): 7:33pm On Jul 04, 2016
The temple of Artemis of Ephesus

If you lived in the Greek city of Ephesus in the 500 -400BCE's you'd best describe your city by the majesty and jaw dropping majesty of the temple of Artemis.

Artemis was the goddess of chastity, virginity, the hunt, the moon, and the
natural environment. She was the daughter of Zeus and Leto, twin sister of
Apollo [The greek sun God]

The Temple of Artemis at Ephesos was completed in 550 BCE and was 425
feet (129 metres) high, 225 feet (69 metres) wide, and supported by 127 60
foot (18 metres) columns.

The temple is described by every ancient writer who mentions it with awe and reverence for its beauty. It was destroyed 21 July 356 by a man named Herostratus who set fire to the temple in order that his name be remembered.

Because of this, the Ephesians executed him and prohibited his name from being spoken or written down. The historian Theopompus, however, wishing to write a complete history of the temple, recorded his name for posterity.

The temple was re-built twice, on a more modest scale, and the first building was later destroyed by the Goths while the second was completely laid to waste by a Christian mob led by Saint John Chrysostom in 401 CE.

[img]http://www.ancient.eu/uploads/images/display-180.jpg[/img]

2 Likes

Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by johnydon22(m): 7:39pm On Jul 04, 2016
The Mausoleum of Halicarnassus

was built in 351 BCE as the tomb for the Persian Satrap Mauslos.It was 135 feet (41 metres) tall and ornamented with intricate sculpture.

Mauslos and his wife, Artemisia, chose Halicarnassus as their capital and devoted themselves to making it the most beautiful and impressive city in the world.

When Mauslos died in 353 BCE, Artemisia commissioned the tomb be built to match the splendor of the city the two of them had created.

She died two years after him and her ashes were entombed with him in the building.

It was destroyed by a series of earthquakes and lay in ruin until it was completely dismantled by the Knights of St. John of Malta in 1494 CE who used the stones in building their castle at Bodrum.
It is from the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus that the English word `mausoleum' is derived.

1 Like

Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by johnydon22(m): 9:03pm On Jul 04, 2016
The light House of Alexandria

The Lighthouse at Alexandria was completed c. 280 BCE and stood 440 feet
(134 metres) high.

Built at the shores of the ancient beautiful city of Alexandria in Egypt to aid ships to navigate safely to the port at night.

It was the tallest man-made structure after the pyramids of Giza and its light could be seen 35 miles out to sea. Ancient writers agree that the lighthouse was so beautiful they could not find words adequate to describe it.

It was severely damaged in an earthquake in 956 CE and, by 1480 CE after
further damage by earthquakes, it was gone.

1 Like

Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by hahn(m): 9:22pm On Jul 04, 2016
Johnnydon22, don't forget to add Aso rock grin

The corruption that has erupted from there is truly a "wonder" tongue

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by surrogatesng: 9:59pm On Jul 04, 2016
very beautiful
Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jul 04, 2016
RobinHez:
johnydon22:

It's true.

mathematically verified. as long as the width of the wall does not exceed 10 centimeters.
Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by RobinHez(m): 10:50pm On Jul 04, 2016
Teempakguy:

It's true.

mathematically verified. as long as the width of the wall does not exceed 10 centimeters.

Source for the bolded pls. .
Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jul 04, 2016
RobinHez:

Source for the bolded pls. .
LOL, na wa o.

I did the math myself.

The volume of a pyramid is given by a third of it's containing cuboid. enter the dimensions of the Great pyramid, you find the volume of the pyramid to be approximately equal to 2.56 x 106m3

Of course, the Pyramid isn't a full Solid. So, the result we must get with a mathematical modelling of a full Solid pyramid must allow us to calculate the fence' length to be greater than 2feet.

The wall around the earth is an annulus. the formula for Calculating the Area of a 2 dimensional Annulus is pi x (2dr + d2). Calculating where d is the height of the wall, and r is the radius of the earth.

the formula for calculating the volume of a ring(3D Annulus) is the above multiplied by the width of the ring, here, the width of the wall.

using the Volume of stone from the pyramid, we arrange for the Annulus to be above 2ft if we use that volume to build it. hence,

2.56 x 106 = pi x w(2 x 6.371 x 106d + d2)

in the equation, d and w are unknowns. put replace d with 2ft(0.6meters) and solve for w, and you will find that the width of the wall is approximately 10centimeters.

The claim says almost 2ft. this is accounted for with the fact that the pyramid in fact, has passages and hollow spaces which will decrease the volume a bit and place it just under 2ft.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by johnydon22(m): 11:06pm On Jul 04, 2016
Teempakguy:

It's true.

Proof please. i'd like to see the calculations.
Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jul 04, 2016
johnydon22:

Proof please. i'd like to see the calculations.
I've provided them to RobinHez's post above.
Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by Oxytocin(m): 12:16am On Jul 05, 2016
Teempakguy:
LOL, na wa o.

I did the math myself.

The volume of a pyramid is given by a third of it's containing cuboid. enter the dimensions of the Great pyramid, you find the volume of the pyramid to be approximately equal to 2.56 x 106m3

Of course, the Pyramid isn't a full Solid. So, the result we must get with a mathematical modelling of a full Solid pyramid must allow us to calculate the fence' length to be greater than 2feet.

The wall around the earth is an annulus. the formula for Calculating the Area of a 2 dimensional Annulus is pi x (2dr + d2). Calculating where d is the height of the wall, and r is the radius of the earth.

the formula for calculating the volume of a ring(3D Annulus) is the above multiplied by the width of the ring, here, the width of the wall.

using the Volume of stone from the pyramid, we arrange for the Annulus to be above 2ft if we use that volume to build it. hence,

in the equation, d and w are unknowns. put replace d with 2ft(0.6meters) and solve for w, and you will find that the width of the wall is approximately 10centimeters.

The claim says almost 2ft. this is accounted for with the fact that the pyramid in fact, has passages and hollow spaces which will decrease the volume a bit and place it just under 2ft.

How many stones makes up the pyramid?? I think that should be our first concern.

Nice thread Johnnydon

BTW.. Please Vote @IamDotune for Mr Nl
Thanks in anticipation
Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by RobinHez(m): 12:21am On Jul 05, 2016
Teempakguy:
LOL, na wa o.

I did the math myself.

Somethings are not just right about this calculation....lipsrsealed

But since u're the only one to come up with a proof(however wrong) for the above claim in the entire www, I'll give it to you. tongue
Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by Nobody: 12:26am On Jul 05, 2016
RobinHez:

Somethings are not just right about this calculation....lipsrsealed

But since u're the only one to come up with a proof(however wrong) for the above claim in the entire www, I'll give it to you. tongue
You are free to submit it to your best mathematics lecturer. grin

he'll probably be confused at first with the strange formula I used for the calculation of the Annulus. But after a few moments, he'll suddenly light up with excitement.

"Robin . . . where did you get this formula? it's brilliant!"

and you'll say, with the most shocked expression possible.

"Some . . . guy . . . "
Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by Nobody: 12:28am On Jul 05, 2016
Oxytocin:

How many stones makes up the pyramid?? I think that should be our first concern.

Nice thread Johnnydon

BTW.. Please Vote @IamDotune for Mr Nl
Thanks in anticipation
Of course not.

The issue is that of Volume. Not that of material.
Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by dejavubobo1(m): 2:27am On Jul 05, 2016
The Greeks whr just awesome...
Majority of the structures didn't make it to ds day..

. Great wall of China should make d list. & there's a man who walked around Japan & drew d map of Japan even b4 man travelled to space to view d world frm outside..

Super medieval brains
Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by MightySparrow: 4:05am On Jul 05, 2016
Any wonderful feat from blacks?

Note: Egyptians are not black.
Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by MightySparrow: 4:05am On Jul 05, 2016
Any wonderful feat from blacks?

Note: Egyptians are not black.
Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by johnydon22(m): 7:06am On Jul 05, 2016
The Colossus of Rhodes

At the Island of Rhodes a statue of the Greek titan-sun god Helios stood at a height shoulder to should with that of the modern day stature of liberty.

built by Chares of Lindos, the 3rd century BC. The reason for the
construction of the Colossus of Rhodes was the victory of the Rhodians
over the Macedonian general Demetrius the Conqueror, which was
attributed to the god.

The magnificent statue, made of bronze, had a height of 33 meters [110 meters], and was visible from afar, had a wide gap between it's legs to allow ships passage.

However it collapsed around 226 BC due to an earthquake.

No attempt was made for its restoration (the oracle of Delphi warned against it) and so his body remained cluttered to the ground was for many years. The final end came in 654 AD when the Saracens pillaged Rhodes and sold the relics as metal.

a wonder relic of the ancient art mastery and engineering wizardry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by johnydon22(m): 7:32am On Jul 05, 2016
Leaving the conventional count of 7 let us continue.

The great wall of China

It's not just one wall built at the same time by the same dynasty, the great wall of china has seen many enhancements, rebuilding and maintenance, the first walls dating back to 7th century BC

The most popular was started in the Qin dynasty 220BC though little part of this first wall still remain to this day most of the remaining part of the wall was built during the Ming Dynasty.

it's span reaches about 21,196 km [13,171 miles]

Built for boarder control, city fortification, trade check into the chinese empire.

At its peak, the Ming Wall was guarded by more than one million men. It is
believed somewhere in the range of 2 to 3 million Chinese died as part of
the centuries-long project of building the boundary.

1 Like

Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by johnydon22(m): 8:25am On Jul 05, 2016
the walls of benin

The walls of benin is a collection of mud walls, moats built to protect the ancient benin Kingdom and a good part of this still stands to this day.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by johnydon22(m): 8:31am On Jul 05, 2016
lalasticlala
Re: Wonders Of The Ancient World - [pictures] by RobinHez(m): 9:14am On Jul 05, 2016
Teempakguy:
You are free to submit it to your best mathematics lecturer. grin

he'll probably be confused at first with the strange formula I used for the calculation of the Annulus. But after a few moments, he'll suddenly light up with excitement.

"Robin . . . where did you get this formula? it's brilliant!"

and you'll say, with the most shocked expression possible.

"Some . . . guy . . . "

This guy and his bragging rights! grin

Anyways... Just a few questions.

1. Does the earth being an Oblated Spheroid allow for an 'annulus-wall'?

2. If we're to go by ur calculations, where do we start building the walls from? Equator or Poles...

3. On the case of calculating with volume, the claim is that' the-number-of-stones-in-the-pyramid' and we all know, the volume does not reflect the number of stones, seeing that some parts of the pyramid are blank... More like an hollow of some sort. How do u wish to resolve that...

Er... These are the questions I can think of. But seriously I admire ur zeal!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mtn Simple Server Still Working / How To Resolve The Error "Call Service Person" On Your Photocopy Machine / Any, With Opera Mini 4.2 Handler Mtn Cheat Code. Thanks As U Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.