Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

One Person Any Writer Should Not Do Without - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / One Person Any Writer Should Not Do Without (478 Views)

See Why Every Writer Should Publish Online In Nigeria / Any Writer Of Children's Books? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

One Person Any Writer Should Not Do Without by ttopswag(m): 10:43pm On Jul 04, 2016
RSON A WRITER SHOULD NOT DO WITHOUT. 

After so much scrutiny and practical works. I jumped into a sequitur that one person, a writer can't and should not do without is not the Editor. 

Fine, Every writer needs an editor no doubt about that. Either you employ one or you do the editing yourself. There is a limit to what the editor can do. They can't go far beyond correcting visible errors. Like punctuations, grammatical errors and the likes. 

Late 2015 i was working on one of the biggest series of my life "MASSIVE HIT" which i had to stop after the 120th Episode. I continued working on it after then. But i decided not to expose it to the public for reviews. But i still had to write over 10,000 more words after the 120th Episode which till today i haven't broken down into Episodes. 

Now this was what happened. Around the 17th episode i wrote something about one of my characters breaking into a room which i took time to describe. I painted my description so well, and to every one reading, the room must have been somewhere no one had been into in a time bound of one century. Then i went along saying my character broke into the room and Bats flew out. Wao.. then i blew the horn i went against my self. You only noticed this because i am doing the analysis . Fortunately i had so many good comments that day. But just one guy locked himself deep into the details of the story i was telling. Then he commented this way. "How come the bat entered."

Coming in on my next episode i had to defend myself by Making my character notice an hole in the roof of the room he broke into. Right there i made it clear that the bats that flew out the previous episode came in through the hole.

But just one person noticed the error at first. It was the reader. You as a writer should not always write without putting the readers in mind. But that isn't the main message. As a writer, you should always have a person close to your script. Standing in the shoes of the first reader, always screening your works and putting your works on the check. Most time you get your self shot while trying to make your stories complex or you are trying to link up scenes. 

Plan the complexity of your story well. That's why you need a story plot. 

That person every writer should not do without is the First reader. There should be someone else reading your scripts digging out invincible errors, someone else must be in search of something else you don't have enough patience and time to look for. Let him criticize you. Give him the power to tell you what needs to be changed. You necessary don't have to change all what he ask you to change. But you need to process all what he has pointed out. Work on it and see if it should be changed. 

The first reader might really not have to be harsh while pointing out errors to you, but he has to be honest with you.

your's in writing
Okhuoya temitope

pls visit www.ballspedia.com for similar updates

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Widow's Plight / Beyond The Door / The Story Of Eve

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.