Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,219 members, 7,836,063 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:12 PM

3 Reasons Why The Post-utme Ban Is Bad For The Nigerian Educational System - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 3 Reasons Why The Post-utme Ban Is Bad For The Nigerian Educational System (1450 Views)

Ghana Adopts Chukwuka Okonjo's Double Intake Educational System / ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec / The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Reasons Why The Post-utme Ban Is Bad For The Nigerian Educational System by Nobody: 7:08am On Jul 05, 2016
As I watched my parents narrate their old-school education experience, I couldn’t hide my admiration. What was I admiring from their school experience? It is simply the values placed on reading habits, sincerity, integrity and hard work which engender academic excellence.
In the third week of June 2016, I went to a business café to print a document; a young lady in her early 30’s came in with her two children. The young lady was looking for a person that will assist her to carry-out her children’s school assignments.
The assignment involved simply using a cardboard paper to construct a laptop computer; using a ply wood to draw sol-fa notes scale in ascending and descending order; and summarising the high points of the recommended novel.
Initially, I felt, maybe she is an illiterate – which is pardonable. But she isn’t. Even if she is; I felt she would be looking for a person to teach her children how to carry-out the assignments. On the contrary, she wasn’t; she was eager to carry her children home and paid for the cost of the assignments.
While leaving the café, I felt so sorry for the little children whose mother will go to any length to enroll them in West Africa Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (WASSCE), West Africa Examination Council (WAEC), National Examination Council (NECO) and Joint Admission and Matriculation Board(JAMB) special centres for examination malpractice to gain unmerited academic excellence.
It is against this kind of anomaly that Post Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (Post-UTME) was introduced. Its major objective is to serve as a platform where Nigerian tertiary institutions will conduct an internal examination for prospective students before admission purpose, since the credibility of JAMB was given vote of no confidence.
The news of the Federal Government ban on Post-UTME was somehow not taken seriously by the public. This has prompted the Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu to reiterate the Federal Government ban on Post-UTME recently.
He said “the ban is with immediate effect and under no circumstance should any institution violate the directive. Those who have already advertised for the conduct of the Post-UTME under any guise should stop the exercise immediately. If any tertiary institution has already conducted Post-UTME, such an exercise stands annulled and money taken from candidates must be refunded immediately”
He further said that ‘for the avoidance of doubt, any educational institution’ after secondary education is regarded as a tertiary institution. Therefore, all tertiary institutions, by whatever name it is called, after secondary school, must be subjected to admission through JAMB.
With the ban of Post-UTME by the Federal Government, is it a step backward in the Nigerian education system?
Post UTME filters the chaff from the wheat
A Professor in one of the tertiary institutions in the East once confided in me that the Post-UTME is one of the best things that have ever happened to the Nigerian education system.
Prior to the introduction of Post UTME, according to the Professor, a significant proportion of the students admitted into the institution of higher learning could not make or write a simple sentence; their handwritings were so poor that it took forever to make a script; and their examination scores were equally very poor.
However, he noticed a great improvement as Post-UTME was introduced. The Professor was so excited that students can brainstorm during lectures, ask questions and share ideas, as well as make outstanding grades in course and research works.
This aptly shows that Post UTME serves as a filter, selecting the chaff from the wheat and bringing in the qualified best brains into the institutions of higher learning for further intellectual development and empowerment.
Post-UTME offers a level competing ground for rich and poor kids
Post-UTME offers equal opportunity for rich and poor kids to scramble for the limited admission quota of the various tertiary institutions in Nigeria.
Equal opportunity! I know the poor kids will be puzzled by my assertion. They will argue that the rich kids bribe their way into the admission list. Yeah, it is indisputable. But have the poor kids considered using the arsenals in their armories?
Arsenals such as studying diligently, and scoring above the cut off marks. Achieve this and then you will see that Post-UTME offers an excellent platform for the “haves” and “have not”
Post-UTME encourages old-school values
What are these old school values that the new school students have thrown to the wind? They are simply cultivating a reading habit, hard work and integrity. Post UTME encourages these values which are triggers of academic excellence.
A serious minded student will not hesitate to imbibe a reading habit to effectively cover his/her syllabus and work extremely hard to prepare for WASSCE, NECO, JAMB and P-UTME.
Such student will definitely shun examination malpractice because his/her hard work has effectively enhances his/her capacity to achieve excellence in any examination.
This is Nigeria. Of course I am aware. There is inherent corruption in the administration of Post-UTME in most tertiary institution in Nigeria. Like the Minister said that there was no empirical evidence to show that the inception of Post-UTME, universities has been having better students, adding that students were being expelled annually for low performance, even as they gained admission through Post-UTME.
There is no wisdom in killing a fly with a sledge hammer.
Rather than banning Post-UTME, effort should be channel towards dealing squarely with its inherent corruption.
This is because Post-UTME is a veritable platform for encouraging students’ reading culture, hard work and academic excellence.
Hence Post-UTME ban is certainly a step backward to our battered education system.

SOURCE
http://myedumata..com.ng/2016/07/3-reasons-why-post-utme-ban-is-bad-for.html

2 Likes

Re: 3 Reasons Why The Post-utme Ban Is Bad For The Nigerian Educational System by delishpot: 7:11am On Jul 05, 2016
So did your parents write Post UTME exams?
Can't the educational system improve like the time of Old without the Post UTME exam? That same bad trend you believe it is helping solve can still creep in on it if the problem is not solved from ground up. Why place band aid on a wound and as it festers, keep covering it with more and more band aid? Why not just treat the wound and carry on?
To me, the educational system should be revamped and upgraded because if we continue to patch patch before long, another system would be put in place to check the decay in Post UTME.

Why not teach students properly and equip them with enough knowledge to prepare them for higher education before hand? Post UTME is set to sieve the chaff out of the wheat? That same responsibility could be carried out by Jamb, Ssce and GCE if all things are put in their proper place.

Those same lecturers that frustrate students and proudly tell you how you can never get an A in their course no matter how hard you read and learn? They open their mouth to talk about quality of education? Tbe ones that accept sex for grades? That accept bribe for score? That you need to bribe before they look at your project? That ask for some favours before they score your sheet? That slap their students at will? That place strict rules blocking the average student from approaching them if they encounter problems in their course? That will ask for favours if you happen to miss a test and go to talk with them about the way forward in your studies?
Maybe they should first re educate themselves. Cos even they, need a stricter Post -UTME to qualify them for lecturing.

4 Likes

Re: 3 Reasons Why The Post-utme Ban Is Bad For The Nigerian Educational System by Nobody: 7:24am On Jul 05, 2016
Ah... I don forget wetin I bin wan write sha
Re: 3 Reasons Why The Post-utme Ban Is Bad For The Nigerian Educational System by gozmok1(m): 7:36am On Jul 05, 2016
Federal agencies and parastatals are setup with various responsibilities. NDLEA oversees hard drug related activities, NAFDAC oversees food and soft drug related activities. JAMB was set up, like other agencies/parastatals, to handle admission and matriculation activities. No federal or state university has the right to conduct any entrance examination. It is the responsibility of JAMB to conduct credible entrance examination, and handle matriculation in various federal, state, and private universities. Universities can work with JAMB in making the UTME examination fair and credible. Our children shouldn't be made to pay twice for entrance examination. secondly Post UTME is just a corrupt means for Universities to make money from students! Why should a candidate pay twice to be admitted into the University? The question I'm asking and will still continue to ask is, since the inception of Post UTME don't we still have people graduating with Third Class and Pass or some even Fail and drop out? So what's this noise about selecting good and bad students? ASUU should go and sit down or they go on their useless strike as usual Damn it!

2 Likes

Re: 3 Reasons Why The Post-utme Ban Is Bad For The Nigerian Educational System by xender(m): 8:14am On Jul 05, 2016
I have nothing to say.
Re: 3 Reasons Why The Post-utme Ban Is Bad For The Nigerian Educational System by Nobody: 9:43am On Jul 05, 2016
FUNNY
Re: 3 Reasons Why The Post-utme Ban Is Bad For The Nigerian Educational System by Drdonzeez(m): 10:20am On Jul 05, 2016
delishpot:
So did your parents write Post UTME exams?
Can't the educational system improve like the time of Old without the Post UTME exam? That same bad trend you believe it is helping solve can still creep in on it if the problem is not solved from ground up. Why place band aid on a wound and as it festers, keep covering it with more and more band aid? Why not just treat the wound and carry on?
To me, the educational system should be revamped and upgraded because if we continue to patch patch before long, another system would be put in place to check the decay in Post UTME.

Why not teach students properly and equip them with enough knowledge to prepare them for higher education before hand? Post UTME is set to sieve the chaff out of the wheat? That same responsibility could be carried out by Jamb, Ssce and GCE if all things are put in their proper place.

Those same lecturers that frustrate students and proudly tell you how you can never get an A in their course no matter how hard you read and learn? They open their mouth to talk about quality of education? Tbe ones that accept sex for grades? That accept bribe for score? That you need to bribe before they look at your project? That ask for some favours before they score your sheet? That slap their students at will? That place strict rules blocking the average student from approaching them if they encounter problems in their course? That will ask for favours if you happen to miss a test and go to talk with them about the way forward in your studies?
Maybe they should first re educate themselves. Cos even they, need a stricter Post -UTME to qualify them for lecturing.
This is a typical African man mentality.An African man tends to stick to his old ways just he's probably afraid of future contingencies..yes,most of our parents didn't sit for post ume but does that mean we should remain stagnant forever.The minister that paved way for post ume knew that jamb examinations was not credible enough,hence,the introduction of post ume.Every stakeholder including jamb itself agreed that post ume will be conducted..It's quite ludicrous that jamb now realised that post ume exam is unconstitutional.. Lol.where were they before?Till today, jamb has not commented on the arbitrary awarding of 40 extra marks to some candidates,or does that mean others that couldn't get the extra marks didn't face the same challenges ..This is exactly where jamb got it all wrong...It shouldn't have done so in the first place or better yet award 40 marks to all candidates that sat for the examination for equal playing ground.FG is plausible but not hitting the main target.
Re: 3 Reasons Why The Post-utme Ban Is Bad For The Nigerian Educational System by delishpot: 10:25am On Jul 05, 2016
Drdonzeez:
This is a typical African man mentality.An African man tends to stick to his old ways just he's probably afraid of future contingencies..yes,most of our parents didn't sit for post ume but does that mean we should remain stagnant forever.The minister that paved way for post ume knew that jamb examinations was not credible enough,hence,the introduction of post ume.Every stakeholder including jamb itself agreed that post ume will be conducted..It's quite ludicrous that jamb now realised that post ume exam is unconstitutional.. Lol.where were they before?Till today, jamb has not commented on the arbitrary awarding of 40 extra marks to some candidates,or does that mean others that couldn't get the extra marks didn't face the same challenges ..This is exactly where jamb got it all wrong...It shouldn't have done so in the first place or better yet award 40 marks to all candidates that sat for the examination for equal playing ground.FG is plausible but not hitting the main target.

Hahahaha, so upgrading Jamb and SSCE to modern standard is backward and old ways and also fearful African man way of avoiding new things. But to leave the rot in Jamb and SSCE while bringing new bodies and system to the equation is modern way of thinking?
The students that are expected to write the post UTME are they not the products of the educational system in the first place? So what is the big deal if SSCE and JAMB does the weeding out of those students who fall short of the expected standard?
Hahahahaha, I can't shout abeg.

My dear, I did not say let us go back to using slates and chalk. I only said schools, JAMB and the rest should be upgraded and worked upon to give better quality education with quality standard setting, marking and grading of students exams and scores.
Let me tell you, as long as naija is concerned, nothing is corruption and man know man free. There is still long legs, bribery and corruption going on in the post UTME

1 Like

Re: 3 Reasons Why The Post-utme Ban Is Bad For The Nigerian Educational System by Nobody: 10:36am On Jul 05, 2016
delishpot:

Hahahaha, so upgrading Jamb and SSCE to modern standard is backward and old ways and also fearful African man way of avoiding new things. But to leave the rot in Jamb and SSCE while bringing new bodies and system to the equation is modern way of thinking?
The students that are expected to write the post UTME are they not the products of the educational system in the first place? So what is the big deal if SSCE and JAMB does the weeding out of those students who fall short of the expected standard?

My dear, I did not say let us go back to using slates and chalk. I only said schools, JAMB and the rest should be upgraded and worked upon to give better quality education.

let the government put everything in place before implementing any policy,
They can just do things without considering the masses......
Re: 3 Reasons Why The Post-utme Ban Is Bad For The Nigerian Educational System by delishpot: 12:43pm On Jul 05, 2016
MyEduMata:

let the government put everything in place before implementing any policy,
They can just do things without considering the masses......

Now, I support this talk. It is the same thing we are saying. Upgrade, Upgrade, Upgrade.
Re: 3 Reasons Why The Post-utme Ban Is Bad For The Nigerian Educational System by Drdonzeez(m): 2:58pm On Jul 05, 2016
delishpot:

My dear, I did not say let us go back to using slates and chalk. I only said schools, JAMB and the rest should be upgraded and worked upon to give better quality education with quality standard setting, marking and grading of students exams and scores.
Let me tell you, as long as naija is concerned, nothing is corruption and man know man free. There is still long legs, bribery and corruption going on in the post UTME
I never said there is no bribery and corruption in our pume exams..And Nigeria as a nation is not even ripe for a national CBT examinations.I wrote jamb last year and what I passed through was nothing to write home about:power outage every 30 minutes,system logging us out every 10 mins..Other centres were not exempted..And to say jamb gives scores randomly is not an overstatement-A subject i could solve more than 35 questions I had 74..Despite the fact that post ume is not hitch-free,It gives a glimmer of hope..Now,even jamb itself is confused.
Re: 3 Reasons Why The Post-utme Ban Is Bad For The Nigerian Educational System by Drdonzeez(m): 2:59pm On Jul 05, 2016
delishpot:

I never said there is no bribery and corruption in our pume exams..And Nigeria as a nation is not even ripe for a national CBT examinations.I wrote jamb last year and what I passed through was nothing to write home about:power outage every 30 minutes,system logging us out every 10 mins..Other centres were not exempted..And to say jamb gives scores randomly is not an overstatement-A subject i couldn't solve more than 35 questions I had 74..Despite the fact that post ume is not hitch-free,It gives a glimmer of hope..Now,even jamb itself is confused.
Re: 3 Reasons Why The Post-utme Ban Is Bad For The Nigerian Educational System by delishpot: 4:36pm On Jul 05, 2016
Drdonzeez:
I never said there is no bribery and corruption in our pume exams..And Nigeria as a nation is not even ripe for a national CBT examinations.I wrote jamb last year and what I passed through was nothing to write home about:power outage every 30 minutes,system logging us out every 10 mins..Other centres were not exempted..And to say jamb gives scores randomly is not an overstatement-A subject i couldn't solve more than 35 questions I had 74..Despite the fact that post ume is not hitch-free,It gives a glimmer of hope..Now,even jamb itself is confused.

I understand you and accept your point of view. But I still think if Jamb decides to clear it's clutter and re organize it's closet to provide adequate quality screening of students and do away with Post UTME it should be allowed to do so. My only worry is that they do not neglect their duty and remain stagnat and inefficient while pointing finger at Post UTME calling it unnecessary. Would be nice if all Nigerian aspiring undergraduates should go through a uniform and equal standard exam. This would enable the country grade the progress of it's students and also a mirror into the quality of education provided by state run secondary schools.
Re: 3 Reasons Why The Post-utme Ban Is Bad For The Nigerian Educational System by Edroom: 5:21pm On Jul 05, 2016
Nice write up bros, JAMB exam needs upgrading, screening is very important. Some schools admit candidates based on blind credentials, let face practical, let students defend themselves before panel. If you score 400 in JAMB, come for oral screening , defend yourself...

(1) (Reply)

Please I Need Help The Answers Of Noun Tma On; Math102, Stt102, Phy192, Chem192, / YABATECH FEMALE HOSTEL ON FIRE THIS MORNING (PHOTOS) / Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme At UK Universities Study In UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.