Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,437 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:35 AM

ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec (8118 Views)

Systemic Changes In The Nigerian Educational System / The Nigerian Educational Sector Is Finished, This Is An S.S.2 Student Sheet PICS / The Saddening Collapse Of Education In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by Passion2009: 12:36am On Dec 22, 2017
ASUU and Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse of The Nigerian Educational Sector.

Gone are those days when the Academic Staff Union of Universities used to be a platform to push for development in the educational sector. The days of sincere unionism, driven public interest and principled leadership have now made way for cheap blackmail, tissue of lies, evil and desperation driven a gang of morally bankrupt 'comrades'.

Recent events at the Lagos State University are quite disturbing. Some months ago, fifteen academic staff of the Lagos State University were dismissed by the institution's governing council for proven allegations ranging from extortion of students to alteration of student results. This action of the university authority was greeted with applauds from the general public.

Unfortunately, instead of admitting its own shortcomings and sanitizing its ranks, the Executives of the University's ASUU branch have rather chosen to toe a failed path by circulating lies and promoting falsehood. All these in a bid to blackmail the university vice chancellor; and paint a disciplinary process that followed all laid down procedures as "victimization". The Governing Council, which is the highest decision making body of the university earned a darling status from ASUU - LASU Executives a year ago for the rightful demotion of some staff but suddenly became irritating to this same crop of unionists following another rightful dismissal of erring staff (two of which used to be members of ASUU-LASU excos whose allegations against them have even been substantiated by their own students)!

I was on vanguard news page some hours ago and the statement from the ASUU Lagos Zonal leadership made me weep for Nigeria. If ASUU - LASU excos, its accomplices at the zonal and perhaps national level are shying away from hard facts and reality, on what moral grounds do they now hold the Nigerian government to accountability when its own house stinks? Of what essence is a union that frustrates processes that will bring transparency and development to the Nigerian educational system and ensure university students have a better future?

The founding fathers of ASUU who toiled to institutionalize the association in Nigeria will never forgive this crop of blackmailers and stained 'comrades' presently leading the union if they fail to retrace their steps.

Moshood Success writes from Abeokuta, Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by MrHistorian: 7:56am On Dec 22, 2017
Once a pen and a paper is accessible. . . Anyone will look for who to pour vituperations on.

3 Likes

Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by Heywhizzy(m): 7:56am On Dec 22, 2017
ASUU no just want make person graduate.. It's well o and the children of both the FG and ASUU officials are scattered round from private universities in Nigeria to prestigious universities abroad, compounding more burden for the average man's child

Now, Universities like my dear Uniben has resort in hiking every fee available from school fee, acceptance fee to hostel fee, just to cover for the money being owed by the FG

3 Likes

Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by bellazz(m): 7:56am On Dec 22, 2017
Absolutely

1 Like

Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by rs172(m): 7:57am On Dec 22, 2017

1 Like

Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by Nobody: 7:57am On Dec 22, 2017
Well ASUU brings this feeling of nostalgia for me. They've benefitted the Education system by weakening the Education system-indeed Nigeria is a strange country.
As regards allegations of abuse which is prevalent in public universities the Governing Council should stand her ground and not be intimidated into allowing abuse continue to thrive in the system. unless their are consequences and repercussions lawlessness would never stop!
This is also a call for owners of private universities to step up and ensure that ASUU's call to unionise Private University staff is DOA because it would only further weaken the system of higher education in Nigeria.

9 Likes

Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by megatronXLR(m): 7:58am On Dec 22, 2017
Na today we dey hear am.....?
Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by ultron12345: 7:58am On Dec 22, 2017
Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by DivinelyBlessed: 7:59am On Dec 22, 2017
ASUU is a sick and failed organisation

2 Likes

Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by Factfinder1(m): 7:59am On Dec 22, 2017
Well written but the government should also avoid owing our lecturers and all those doin their best in the educational sector

2 Likes

Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by DivinelyBlessed: 7:59am On Dec 22, 2017
These days, ASUU is a mere shadow of it's former glory

2 Likes

Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by minkahil(m): 8:00am On Dec 22, 2017
Make book space small

1 Like

Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by ednut1(m): 8:00am On Dec 22, 2017
Most of the ASUU executives wards are either in unilorin,private unis or abroad.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by duduade: 8:01am On Dec 22, 2017
Please resummarize

1 Like

Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by nkwuocha: 8:02am On Dec 22, 2017
Lol

Blaming the body for the rottenness of the head. Failed Nation,failed educational system,failed ASUU.

1 Like

Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by michlins(m): 8:03am On Dec 22, 2017
Dissolve ASUU and we have quality schools devoid of strike actions and quack graduates

1 Like

Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by Caseless: 8:04am On Dec 22, 2017
I see

1 Like

Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by watchwoman(f): 8:06am On Dec 22, 2017
very correct .
it is no longer news that ASUU strike is of no benefit to the average student. only to soothe the lecturers greedy interests .And the government should stop owing unnecessary arreas and pay them as at when due to avoid strikes, because majority of the strikes commenced by ASUU has little or nothing to do with students welfare

5 Likes

Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by onenaija001(m): 8:06am On Dec 22, 2017
Factfinder1:
Well written but the government should also avoid owing our lecturers and all those doin their best in the educational sector
The govt is also at fault.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by laokas: 8:07am On Dec 22, 2017
bellazz:
Absolutely
Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by vioment: 8:13am On Dec 22, 2017
I can't really blame ASUU even though one of their biggest blame is the lack of competence. My main blame goes to the leadership which are the elected govt which is also why i am against any unelected govt eg oba, eze, emir, etc. An opinion for another day.

The govt gets the most blame because like the majority of many other issues, they remain incompetent. How can you not have teachers and security payments or civil servant payment a priority? Pay them, train them, and give them your expectations as a nation. Nigeria is never serious at anything. It is very scary because if Nigeria is not serious, so is the rest of Africa especially west and central Africa. Congo (the richest natural resources nation) has failed and is not wanting to help their situation. Africa is just what somebody will call an idiot, a fool, if we were watching a movie and every continent/nation was a human.

5 Likes

Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by texazzpete(m): 8:19am On Dec 22, 2017
Why would any right-thinking person blame ASUU for the rot in our tertiary education system?
Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by Nobody: 8:21am On Dec 22, 2017
Many of you venting anger and hate on ASUU should do a bit of research before towing that path. ASUU, SSANU, NASU, NAAT are all unions in the Nigerian Universities setup for the purpose of protecting it's members interests. You should all direct your anger and frustration on the Government of the Country. I am not completely absorbing these Unions of some blames but most times, strikes are embarked on by these Unions because FG renegade on its promise to the Unions. FG are major causes of most of these strikes across embarked on by these Unions and truthfully you can't blame them for these course of actions. From time immemorial, the FG understand no other language than the use of Force. negotiation has never worked with the FG. You want to get your entitlement from the FG, embark on industrial action. I make bold to say that the minimum wage committee that the FG constituted will yield nothing good until the leadership of NLC come together and embark on Nation-wide strike actions. FG does not bend to peaceful negotiations, they have never. The ongoing strike of Non Teaching Staff of Federal Universities in Nigeria is an evidence of FG perpetual and incurable propensity to renegade on contracts and agreements with Unions. I just weep for Nigerians because our leaders travel to developed nations of the world, yet we have not learnt a thing from them. If we emulate and replicate some of the practices and standards in Nigeria Universities system, our future will be the better for it.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by Nasir123(m): 8:22am On Dec 22, 2017
Factfinder1:

Agreed. But this is not about the gov now,its about ASUU.
Do you want to know how students is been abuse on campus?
Do you know that in our institution some of these lectures operate as if they are in cult? What kind of future leaders will they produce?

Go into some university, you will pity the students who are in them.

ASUU for now like many other organization is not helping matters.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by Nobody: 8:25am On Dec 22, 2017
Hh
What is ASUU?

Osustech gave me Admission
Buh I will b writing jamb again nxt yr
Imagine 200k fpr skul fees+ 50k acceptance
Deh dnt even have hostel ooooo
When no b private skul
I go spend reach
550 for 100l alone

If I swear for d vc ,it will.surely catch him
From 80k to 200k
Efcc will.nt.see dis now oo

2 Likes

Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by Factfinder1(m): 8:28am On Dec 22, 2017
Nasir123:

Agreed. But this is not about the gov now,its about ASUU.
Do you want to know how students is been abuse on campus?
Do you know that in our institution some of these lectures operate as if they are in cult? What kind of future leaders will they produce?

Go into some university, you will pity the students who are in them.

ASUU for now like many other organization is not helping matters.

I agree with you and its all as a result of the oppression and wickedness of the black man to his kind
Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by Wiseandtrue(f): 8:35am On Dec 22, 2017
[b]There is an adage that says "if the head is affected, the remaining parts of the body becomes useless"

Where is the minister of education

Infact I don't even know if it is a he or she, talk more of the name undecided

That ministry is not active!

Those day they use to send unannounced inspectors to the school who will carry out thorough inspections and you will see the results of the feedbacks

Then, ALL is on their toes because they know that their job is at stake undecided

But now what do we have? People in authority singing problems without solutions in sight

As if they don't know what their job entails in the first place undecided

If you are paying workers regularly and someone is somewhere extorting or making the lives of students unbearable, won't you know what to do?

ASUU is misbehaving, channel your complains to the minister of education and lets see if there will be response

Just like chief Justice is saying that he is yet to be briefed about INNOSON's case when the Senates have already deliberated on the case can you imagine

Can't you see that the whole thing is wrong The system is turned upside down undecided

I really don't want to blame it on a WAEC certificate[/b]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by Nobody: 8:36am On Dec 22, 2017
Factfinder1:

Right on!
The government understands only this word - STRIKE.
Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by churchee: 8:38am On Dec 22, 2017
We are talking about ASUU then came NASU. Maybe the next will be ZASU, whatsoever it means, I don't know.
Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by Pavore9: 8:41am On Dec 22, 2017
Factfinder1:

Unfortunately only few in their ranks are putting in their best.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec by Nasir123(m): 8:44am On Dec 22, 2017
Factfinder1:

I agree with you and its all as a result of the oppression and wickedness of the black man to his kind
Agreed.

But some of us who are awake should call for a change in the way we reason for the betterment of our society.

Thanks.
God bless Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Some Weird Facts You Probably Don't Know 2 (photos) / Prince Ishola Foundation Earmarks N500million To Fund Education For Orphans / List Of Jamb Cbt Centres & Contacts In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.