Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,027 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:56 PM

How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) (8552 Views)

Setting Up Pc To Pc Lan And Sharing A Usb Modem Internet Services In The Network / When Will Nigerians Get Good Unlimited Internet Services In This Country? / Broadband Internet Services in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by elaiho: 4:45pm On Nov 21, 2005
I here NITEL offers Bulk Bandwidth via SAT3. How can I get this service? Is there a website or email contact info? Or better still, does any one have contact phone numbers for the operators of this service?

Also, I intend to use this service outside Lagos. Please, advise.
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by Seun(m): 8:06pm On Nov 21, 2005
[s]The official name of the service is 'IP Wholesale' and you can read about it on Thisday Online:

"The IP Wholesale service provides bandwidth to the worldwide internet using the NITEL IP Gateway in Lagos. The Gateway is connected via the SAT-3 cable to the worldwide internet and will provide access to a broad range of clientele who are increasingly deploying as the platform for their businesses in the networked global information economy."
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=15076
(login with username nairaland, password nairaland)[/s]
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by Seun(m): 8:17pm On Nov 21, 2005
NITELNET, the Internet arm of the National Carrier has concluded plans to launch its wholesale internet service next week. Nitelnet wholesale internet service would sell bandwidth on wholesale basis to Internet Service Providers (ISPs), Private Telecom Operators (PTOs) and Application Service providers at discounted rates designed for volume customers.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/features/technology/tec512042005.html (April 13, 2005)

The Nigerian Telecommunications Limited (NITEL) on 28 April in Lagos launched its Wholesale Internet Services (WIS).

WIS is a set of Internet connectivity services that will enable Internet Service Providers (ISPs), Application Service Providers (ASPs) and Carriers with an Internet Protocol (IP) carriage capacity throughout Nigeria to provide IP-based services.

The standard delivery point of the services is at NITEL’s IP Gateways in Lagos and Abuja. Both Gateways are connected to the SAT-3 IP connection to the World Wide Internet.
http://www.nigeriafirst.org/article_3910.shtml (April 29, 2005)
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by elaiho: 7:12am On Nov 22, 2005
thanks for the info Suen but i've already read about the service all over the web, i actually need to start using it. I need to migrate from GILAT/ISPEED, I actually want to buy about 1Meg so do yu have any info that can help me ( Customer care number, sale email address, or any way i can contact NITELNET ) ?
I have made several attempts but everydody keeps given me a phone number for an "Afolabi" but i cant get thru to him.
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by Bibi(m): 3:12pm On Nov 22, 2005
@elaiho, be careful to commit all your eggs to Nitel. Try Globacom. A friend of mine is using 2mb link with them. Pretty reliable with more than 99.9% uptime so far in last 6 months or so.
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by elaiho: 7:52am On Nov 23, 2005
@Bibi
does Globacom terminate outside lagos ?
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by delarontus(f): 9:46am On Nov 23, 2005
You can call Shehu on 08044191091. People have started buying the bandwidth on SAT-3 from NITEL already. I know a couple of companies including oil companies who are presently using this bandwidth.
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by Komputa(m): 4:38pm On Nov 23, 2005
elaiho:

I need to migrate from GILAT/ISPEED, I actually want to buy about 1Meg so do yu have any info that can help me...

Where exactly do you need the service? I know a company already dealing with Nitel and providing IP Wholesale pricing on SAT-3. You can get connected within few days at some cities and towns outside Lagos like Ibadan, Benin, Port Harcourt, Jos etc. For more information you can send a mail to fastadsl@gmail.com
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by delarontus(f): 9:47am On Nov 25, 2005
Its better to deal directly with NITEL because you get wholesale rates and you're not short changed. The quality is also full duplex.
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by leighcon(m): 6:33pm On Nov 25, 2005
Hello evryone, I think Bibi-2 mentioned something about broadband link from Globacom, Does anyone has information on how I can explore that, Am just tired of the local ISPs
Leighcon
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by experto: 1:40pm On Nov 26, 2005
delarontus:

Its better to deal directly with NITEL because you get wholesale rates and you're not short changed. The quality is also full duplex.

Dealing with Nitel to secure access to SAT-3 or E1 telephone access is not an easy thing or a task for faint hearted, It take a long time, lots of running around, between Abuja and Lagos, dealing with Nitel Headquarters, Filling and submitting documents and NCC licenses, Chasing and pushing documents. It will cost you lots of money as well. If you can go through all this headache go ahead, 1Mbps full duplex will cost you a little bit under $7,000 plus connection fee of a bit under $4,000 per location

My recommendation is to get SAT-3 bandwidth from organizations connected to Nitel and that can offer you wholesale pricing.
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by experto: 2:08pm On Nov 26, 2005
leighcon:

Hello evryone, I think Bibi-2 mentioned something about broadband link from Globacom, Does anyone has information on how I can explore that, Am just tired of the local ISPs. Leighcon

I tried to explored that about six months ago with Globacom IP and Fibreoptic Engineering Manager, I found out that Globacom connect to the outside world not by SAT-3 but by Satellite.

Since the tension between Nitel and Globacom regarding control and access to SAT-3 came to a stand still. Globacom could not offer a direct Internet bandwidth from Europe to Nigeria thru fibre cable yet.

They have been building and completed some fibreoptic cable link between some cities within Nigeria. They planned to lay fibre cable from Europe to Nigeria to compete with SAT-3 may be in few years from now.

My recommendation is to get SAT-3 bandwidth from organizations connected to Nitel and that can offer you wholesale pricing.
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by leighcon(m): 8:29pm On Nov 26, 2005
Yea am actually aware that Globacom still uses satellite to link Europe for their bandwith, I feel however that it has been well optimized for internet usage because I have seen it work well via their GPRS modem and the speed was pretty o.k.
I just want to have the idea of how an ISP can get hooked to gloxpress broadband. May be the Globacom IP and Fibreoptic Engineering Manager friend of yours can help out
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by elaiho: 8:14pm On Nov 27, 2005
I've actually started talks with COMPUTEL recommened by 'Komputa'. They say they can handle everything so i dont have to deal with NITEL.
I've called also the Guys at NITEL thrice , they promised to send a detailed quotation; "as soon as our server comes back up" he say's. NITEL wants to give me service and their office block wasn't online.. strange
Till now i'm still expecting word from them.

Globacom at the moment will not be able to suit my purpose, since they have a terrestrial link, which would give higher response times even at the same bandwidth, with a fibre link.
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by leighcon(m): 9:57am On Nov 28, 2005
Elaiho I can't figure out what you mean by the statement below:
"Globacom at the moment will not be able to suit my purpose, since they have a terrestrial link, which would give higher response times even at the same bandwidth, with a fibre link."

I have gone to make enquiries at the Nitel Zonal office in Ibadan and I discovered that the members of staff there do not even have as much information as I have. Infact before this year the Ibadan office was being provided email facility by skannet, Imagine!!. I was directed to about 9 different offices in Nitel and I was able to site something that looked like a computer running windows 95 in one office. They have facilities they do not know about. So bad to the extent that some of them even demonstrated ignorance of the benefits of SAT -3. I have decided to leave nitel alone for now but my fear is that these guys who claim they resell might end up short changing one in terms of bandwidth. I still think we should be able to explore globacom's gloxpress @ least they advertise it every now and then claiming they have started selling to banks
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by joftech(m): 12:16pm On Nov 28, 2005
SAT-3 in the hand of NITEL is pure rubbish. I have said it in one of my earlier posts that NITEL does not seem to have the technical manpower to provide reliable access to the Internet via SAT-3. I wonder how good their engineers are with router configuration and stuffs like that.

By now i expect them to have install routers in all the major zones where they will be having a distribution points. If the local staffs in their offices does not know the meaning of SAT-3 i wonder how they will respond to isssues when it crop up.

I saw an advert in last Wednesday Guardian by one Naira.com for SAT-3 services, will anyone pls shed more light on the company/service. It's very bad they don't have a website. rolleyes
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by delarontus(f): 12:35pm On Nov 28, 2005
There's no point calling a dog a bad name. If the other operators like Starcomms and Computel can buy the SAT-3 from NITEL, why can't everyone else do the same. people just like to be spoon-fed sometimes and that's why this thread will keep growing because all people will be doing is making enquiries and more enquiries.

I know NITEL is not really business inclined but that's because they are being run by government. However that doesn't mean the product is not available.

@leighcon: If you want the service urgently, you can post your location and requirements.
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by joftech(m): 12:49pm On Nov 28, 2005
That Starcomms and Computel are able to get it does not mean just everybody can get it.

I doubt if elaiho will ever be able to get SAT-3 access directly from NITEL, it seems they only sell to high networtht service providers (and i think that's the way it should be)

I need how much it will cost to get just 128/64 KBPS.
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by delarontus(f): 1:20pm On Nov 28, 2005
1MB is the minimum for IP wholesale. Your requirement can be taken care of through ISDN i suppose undecided Alternatively, since you're in Ondo State, you can try Computel and let's get a feedback.
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by joftech(m): 1:27pm On Nov 28, 2005
I don't know if computel is in Ondo State. Am looking for a service provider that can give a WIMAX access to me but they must have a fibre optic link to the Internet.
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by delarontus(f): 2:41pm On Nov 28, 2005
I don't know about how to get Wimax but you have two options to get the 128/64 which are Computel in Akure or Nitel in Abuja.
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by leighcon(m): 3:30pm On Nov 28, 2005
SAT-3!! SAT-3!! SAT-3!! SAT-3!! SAT-3!!,
Everyone wants to know but the information seems to be hoarded by the privileged few. I think they are only selling to the big folks "who also have the right information" But at least Nitel should be able to put some information on their website, but even the website I can't comment on it anyway but can somebody please visit www.nitelnet.com and see what a shameful national carrier can look like. Anyway I have decided to focus on what computel has in stock for me.
Somehow everyone has been avoiding comment on the ability of globacom to offer broadband.

@joftech: naira.com's site used to be naira.net but I think it's down for now may be you should give them a call.

@delarontus: I am located in Ibadan, need between 512kbps and 1mb
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by elaiho: 8:38pm On Nov 28, 2005
leighcon:

Elaiho I can't figure out what you mean by the statement below:
"Globacom at the moment will not be able to suit my purpose, since they have a terrestrial link, which would give higher response times even at the same bandwidth, with a fibre link."

@ leighcon
Explanation: Glo uses satellite, it will most likely take about 500-700ms to send data fro my pc here in Nigeria to a server in Europe and back.
I have a perculiar situation on my network, there's a general increase in bandwidth usuage, especialy on the Uplink. So i need a full deuplex link , that has lower latency (ping time from lagos to london on sat-3 is less than 105ms). so 1mbs on a fibre link (SAT-3) will be faster than 1Mbps on a satellite link.

I'm already using 1.5M on my downlink, and need to upgrade going fibre will definately be best.

I believe Globacom wuold be a better option only if they had working Fibre link to Europe/Asia or America.

Here's a link to a Latency calculator for SAT-3
http://www.safe-sat3.co.za/Configuration/Configuration.asp#LatencyCalculator
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by joftech(m): 8:49pm On Nov 28, 2005
The cost implication for SAT-3 access is what that has been making me to shiver. I hope the price will go way down for small time users like me.
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by delarontus(f): 9:19am On Nov 29, 2005
@leighcon: 1MB costs $6,500 monthly and $3000 for deployment which is a one-off payment. However, the higher the bandwidth, the lower the price.
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by leighcon(m): 8:16pm On Nov 29, 2005
@ Elaiho: Na you biko, you can afford to be buying 1.5mb downlink on vsat and u still dey follow us hustle for SAT-3. If you can afford that on VSAT I don't think attempting to have SAT 3 link should be a problem for you. Well I no know ooo

People Elaiho has spoken about globacom using satellite, but if the reliability is there, is it not a better option to VSAT vendors ripping us off?
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by joftech(m): 11:14pm On Nov 29, 2005
Getting any bandwidth capacity on VSAT is a very very simple task. As soon as you make your payment they will upgrade your site in less than a day.

For small time bandwidth users VSAT seems to be the only affodable way to the Internet these days.
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by leighcon(m): 8:32am On Nov 30, 2005
But Joftech someone who buys a 1.5mb downlink shouldn't be refered to as a small time user now. I mean such a fellow should be able to take the bulls of SAT3 by the horns
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by tomcat: 1:52pm On Dec 14, 2005
apparently VGC is offering broadband in SAT-3....false or true I don't know..

I phoned them today...to see what internet options they have...they say they have dsl broadband internet...with different speeds...

when I asked about the backbone if it is SAT-3 or VSAT...they said that it can be SAT-3 if i want and VSAT as a backup...

now if that's wright or wrong...i do not know...
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by bigspif(m): 2:26pm On Feb 27, 2006
IP Wholesale is very much available even outside lagos, just go to any of their zonal offices or the headquaters and you'll surely get the service. Its fast and reliable and full duplex link. Yeah the minimum bandwidth on IP Wholesale starts from 1Mbp up to 155 (STM-1). The price is also competitive 1Mb starts from $6,500. I learnt also that they are building a second landing point soon and have made provision for backup.
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by leighcon(m): 5:49pm On Feb 28, 2006
The problem of nitel is not in their`capability but the bureaucratic bottle necks that hinder their ability. Let's wait for their privatisation first for the SAT-3 link to be better, I understand they don't even have enough IPS
Re: How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) by holyghost(m): 1:07am On Mar 04, 2006
I market Broadband internet conections as well as bandwidth and IPs

I setup office or home users @70,000 cost of equipment no more no less and 24/7montly subscriton @=N=11,000

i can set you up an Fully active cafe with just =N=280,000 Link and 10systems of PIII with 5web cams how? very easy like reading ABC in the university
well, let's get down

the total cost for equipment and installations is @ =N=150,000
the cost of 10 PIII systems is @=N=13,000
and Five(5) web cam @ =N= 2,000
total = =N=280,000

then montly subscription @=N= 60,000

contact for details samholyghost@gmail.com
080 34 73 23 23

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? / We Buy And Sell Laptops / How Do I Connect Two Pcs For Offline File Transfer.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.