Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,778 members, 7,817,207 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? (3273 Views)

Ever Heard Of Ajax Programming And Development? / Help Me Solve This AJAX Problem. / Help- My Wordpress Website Forum Text Is Overlapping On Mobile Device (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by teampregar(m): 8:28am On Jul 06, 2016
There is a project am working on that uses ajax, i have not yet deployed it to a live server, and i have no experience of ajax on a mobile browser before..But i noticed in instagram's web app the ajax works on computer, but when i try click the follow button on my opera mini it just refreshes the page and nothing happens(Android phone) ..I would like to know if ajax work on a mobile browser also, if i does not work tell me so that i can remove the ajax functions and change it with normal programming scripts..
Re: Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by gidimasters(m): 8:31am On Jul 06, 2016
teampregar:
There is a project am working on that uses ajax, i have not yet deployed it to a live server, and i have no experience of ajax on a mobile browser before..But i noticed in instagram's web app the ajax works on computer, but when i try click the follow button on my opera mini it just refreshes the page and nothing happens(Android phone) ..I would like to know if ajax work on a mobile browser also, if i does not work tell me so that i can remove the ajax functions and change it with normal programming scripts..
it works with the use of advanced browsers like chrome, uc browser i doubt firefox. and note opera mini is a mini browser. (few features)

2 Likes

Re: Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by DisturbNot: 8:48am On Jul 06, 2016
gidimasters:
it works with the use of advanced browsers like chrome, uc browser i doubt firefox. and note opera mini is a mini browser. (few features)

This answers it!
Re: Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by teampregar(m): 9:04am On Jul 06, 2016
gidimasters:
Wow, nd the problem is that most africans use opera mini browser
Re: Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by bot101(m): 11:42am On Jul 06, 2016
It works in all browsers, but does so differently in operamini since it is technically not a real browser. Opera mini has an intermediary, server based browserlike engine that all your requests pass through to its destination server. All responses from the destination server also goes through this remote browser which receives the html response data, parses it and executes all javascript to create a new lightweight file (an obml file) and sends same to your Opera mini 'browser'. This is how opera mini compresses large webpage into tiny 30kb files. The downside with this approach is that all javascript is stripped of the resulting obml file making it impossible to execute any javascript in the client's browser (AJAX is javascript). So your client side AJAX calls although cannot be executed in your Opera mini browser, is triggered in the remote server, executes there, a new obml file generated and sent to your browser, hence the reload.

3 Likes

Re: Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by winar(m): 5:40pm On Jul 06, 2016
teampregar:
It actually works on opera mini. My website's login is ajax powered. And it works on opera mini browsers. The downside is that it's not interactive. That is, the whole page loads before you see any changes. But you know that of course
Re: Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by lekropasky(m): 8:30pm On Jul 06, 2016
I have a question puzzling my mind. The instagram native app has a 'follow button' which when clicked sends some request to server in an AJAX-like mode, i dont understand how this works, is there a way to implement AJax funtionality using Java and Android Sdk...Thanks
Re: Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by teampregar(m): 9:14pm On Jul 06, 2016
Re: Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by teampregar(m): 9:15pm On Jul 06, 2016
lekropasky:
I have a question puzzling my mind. The instagram native app has a 'follow button' which when clicked sends some request to server in an AJAX-like mode, i dont understand how this works, is there a way to implement AJax funtionality using Java and Android Sdk...Thanks
Java can also handle events, if you develop android apps u will notice that in the xml activity files there are onclick listeners an more.. These events are also asynchronous(it does not affect user interface)

1 Like

Re: Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jul 07, 2016
teampregar:

Opera Mini on mobile phones is f**king retarded, do not use it to test your projects..i repeat do not use it for testing purposes.

It doesn't have good support for JavaScipt.
Re: Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by VenantCode(m): 9:00pm On Jul 08, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Opera Mini on mobile phones is f**king retarded, do not use it to test your projects..i repeat do not use it for testing purposes.

I do agree, even uc browser has better javascript support
Re: Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by Cooldude68(m): 7:58am On Jul 09, 2016
It depends on the browser the user is using... if the browser supports JavaScript, then there will be no problems.
I'll advise that you develop another version of that web app...for those that their browsers doesn't support Ajax

1 Like

Re: Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jul 09, 2016
Cooldude68:
It depends on the browser the user is using... if the browser supports Ajax, then there will be no problems.
I'll advise that you develop another version of that web app...for those that their browsers doesn't support Ajax

Nope, the browser can't support AJAX without supporting JavaScript.

Remember AJAX stands for A synchronous J avaScript And X ml .
Re: Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by Cooldude68(m): 10:11pm On Jul 09, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Nope, the browser can't support AJAX without supporting JavaScript.

Remember AJAX stands for A synchronous J avaScript And X ml .
Sorry I wanted to say if the browser supports JavaScript
Re: Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by WhyAmISoQuiet: 11:49am On Jul 13, 2016
teampregar:

Opera mini supports Ajax. The old versions will require a page reload but the new version doesn't require page reload . It's fast for even 2G with webview and has better layout. Opera mini is not like before. I'm speaking for android.

1 Like

Re: Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by WhyAmISoQuiet: 12:10pm On Jul 13, 2016
teampregar:
I just checked instagram web app now with operamini , clicked the follow button and the page didn't reload. You must be using the old version which all about extreme data savings or a newer version with extreme data savings turned on. High data savings won't require page reload. I'm speaking for opera mini not opera browser on android.
Re: Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by ukorsimplicity(m): 4:29pm On Jul 13, 2016
teampregar:

You have to look for a better way to handle those browsers, especially when your target are Africans. Most times what I do is to detect the user browser at the server end than redirect or serve accordingly, or somethings i use css to detect user device type and serve basic html to mobile phone, not the best way but it sure does solve the problem.

I wish all browsers are like Google chrome.

1 Like

Re: Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by ukorsimplicity(m): 4:42pm On Jul 13, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

If you don't test with opera mini how will you know how your web app is render to users that use that browsers and how do you handle users from that end?

Most user will just review your app as bad if it render bad on that platform and you will definitely have less users or visitors.

So test with almost all platform and look for a work around for issues arising from each platform (browsers).

1 Like

Re: Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by Booyakasha(f): 5:51pm On Jul 13, 2016
Opera mini has Ajax support, but it solely depends on the weight of the ajax call... opera mini uses cloud acceleration so it acts like a screen grabber of the real browser on cloud, since that's what it does (download the overly compressed version of the webpage from cloud to accelerate your access to webpages) which makes browsing really fast.. think of it like a low quality video.
Re: Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by WhyAmISoQuiet: 7:08pm On Jul 13, 2016
Booyakasha:
Opera mini has Ajax support, but it solely depends on the weight of the ajax call... opera mini uses cloud acceleration so it acts like a screen grabber of the real browser on cloud, since that's what it does (download the overly compressed version of the webpage from cloud to accelerate your access to webpages) which makes browsing really fast.. think of it like a low quality video.
It's not like a low quality video...it uses WebKit now...so you're still getting the real thing after compression. Unless you set it to Extreme data savings then it uses the Presto engine which has many browser features stripped off
Re: Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by Booyakasha(f): 10:08pm On Jul 13, 2016
WhyAmISoQuiet:
It's not like a low quality video...it uses WebKit now...so you're still getting the real thing after compression. Unless you set it to Extreme data savings then it uses the Presto engine which has many browser features stripped off
I was clearly talking about low end opera mini for phones not the updated android opera mini version you're using.. who cares if it uses webkit.. opera mini is for users in third world countries..
Re: Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jul 13, 2016
ukorsimplicity:

If you don't test with opera mini how will you know how your web app is render to users that use that browsers and how do you handle users from that end?

Most user will just review your app as bad if it render bad on that platform and you will definitely have less users or visitors.

So test with almost all platform and look for a work around for issues arising from each platform (browsers).

Well I won't give a shit about the 5.6% of people that refuse to use my web app if a good number of the remaining 94.34% are using it.
The 5.6% will be forced to change their browser. Imagine if Facebook decided to quit Opera support, a lot of people will migrate to other browsers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers
Re: Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by ukorsimplicity(m): 12:08am On Jul 14, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Well I won't give a shit about the 5.6% of people that refuse to use my web app if a good number of the remaining 94.34% are using it.
The 5.6% will be forced to change their browser. Imagine if Facebook decided to quit Opera support, a lot of people will migrate to other browsers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

For startup web app, test on all platform.

2. Facebook is a full blown web app and I have use the website on almost all platform and in different conditions ( bad network, good network, MTN free Facebook browsing, USSD etc) you won't believe the Almighty facebook also support basic layout in case of slow internet or poor browser( Google gmail also did the same) ...

I am just saying it is good practice to test on all platform and conditions.

Do you know Facebook have a lab where they test their service on poor internet connection and GPRS phone.
Re: Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by WhyAmISoQuiet: 4:39pm On Jul 14, 2016
Booyakasha:

I was clearly talking about low end opera mini for phones not the updated android opera mini version you're using.. who cares if it uses webkit.. opera mini is for users in third world countries..
Third world or not , I'm not sure but what's important is that they are users therefore there is a market

1 Like

Re: Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by ugo2016: 6:36am On Jul 15, 2016
like mad fool!
Re: Does AJAX Technology Work On Mobile Phones??? by stack1(m): 11:46pm On Jul 16, 2016
It works an all recent android browsers (Opera mini, Opera mobile, Chrome, Firefox etc, and also on IOS safari and IE for mobile) i use it extensively on my site www.greenhouze.xyz check it on mobile and see (on opera mini the data save mode can sometimes disrupt XMLHttpREquests, since their proxy sits in the middle on the browser and the website being viewed

(1) (Reply)

A Little Javascript Problem / Metroframework For C# Applications In Visual Studio / Collection Of Nigerian Programming Gurus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.