Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,722 members, 7,816,973 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:48 PM

Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS (2286 Views)

Matias Messi Sentenced To 30-months In Jail For Illegal Gun Possession (Pics) / Lionel Messi Staying Put In Barcelona – Messi’s Father / Chelsea FC Transfer Report: Roman Abramovich Meets Lionel Messi's Father. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by retsonbiz(m): 11:53am On Jul 06, 2016
MADRID, July 6 (Reuters) - Barcelona soccer star Lionel Messi has been sentenced to 21 months in prison after a court in Barcelona found him guilty of three counts of tax fraud, a statement from the court said on Wednesday.

The court also sentenced the Argentine soccer player's father, Jorge, to 21 months in prison for the same three crimes. The sentence can be appealed through the Spanish supreme court, the statement said.

However, under Spanish law a prison sentence under two years can be served under probation, meaning Messi and his father are unlikely to go to jail.

The court ordered Messi to pay a fine of around 2 million euros ($2.21 million) and his father to pay 1.5 million euros for the crimes. ($1 = 0.9034 euros) (Reporting by Madrid newsroom; Writing by Angus Berwick; Editing by Sonya Dowsett)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-3676823/Barcelona-soccer-star-Messi-sentenced-21-months-prison.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36721892

Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by Nobody: 11:57am On Jul 06, 2016
All cause of bad management, never mix Business with Family
Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by ALAYORMII: 11:58am On Jul 06, 2016
They want to kill this guy

Why can't we have a working judicial system in Nigeria, corrupt people are being sent to prison
Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by dauntless15(m): 12:00pm On Jul 06, 2016
Rich dude tax fraud how much is the tax that he cant pay?

1 Like

Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by jaymichael(m): 12:01pm On Jul 06, 2016
These guys don't joke with their tax laws at all.
Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by Tolexander: 12:04pm On Jul 06, 2016
However, under Spanish law a prison sentence under two years can be served under probation, meaning Messi and his father are unlikely to go to jail.
Messi won't be jailed, his father may be.

Watch out how this thread will degenerate to Ronaldo-messi iss!
Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by Aviero: 12:05pm On Jul 06, 2016
He's very lucky.

He could have got six years. Do you know what that means? All sponsorship deals cancelled. Barcelona will have no choice but to terminate his contract. This would have been a perfect example of Grace to Grass, in fact, brown grass!

He's lucky!

Well, this just shows that nobody is above the law. And I commend the Spanish authorities for this. It's a K-leg judgement, tho.
Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by alex81(m): 12:07pm On Jul 06, 2016
from Losing out on uefa champions league to copa america, nw ds.......

d year not so looking great for messi.
Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by Lily4star(f): 12:10pm On Jul 06, 2016
He won't be in Jail but will he be able to continue playing for FCB??, someone enlighten me here please
Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by EagleScribes: 12:13pm On Jul 06, 2016
If this were to be in Nigeria, you will hear so many theories such as:

We are winning the war against corruption - APC

Messi is being witch hunted because he's opposition - PDP

Messi is our son. Leave him alone - IPOB

Messi must not go to jail or else we will roast Nigeri a - NDA

#bringbackourmessi - Oby Ezekwesili

I have evidence that Messi is victimized - Fayose

The govt has fulfilled it's promise of jailing Messi - Lai Muhammed

We will not take this! - Orubebe

Abeg add more if you get

1 Like

Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by Aviero: 12:16pm On Jul 06, 2016
Lily4star:
He won't be in Jail but will he be able to continue playing for FCB??, someone enlighten me here please
He received a suspended sentence. This means that he's been put on probation. If he does not break the law during this period, and fulfils the conditions for the probation, which includes paying the fines, the judge will dismiss the sentence.

So he continues playing football.
Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by seunlayi(m): 12:16pm On Jul 06, 2016
Nigeria is learning

1 Like

Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jul 06, 2016
Thank God it's not Nigeria, when Linda was exposed that she owes around 71 million naira tax,

Some sections of the country said they were being targeted,

Others said she should move out of the country,

Another said she should move back home.

The truth of the matter is tax defaulters are criminals, we as common men pay but the rich find I hard to pay, yet some myopic youths will still cry foul when they are exposed.
Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by Lily4star(f): 12:21pm On Jul 06, 2016
Aviero:
He received a suspended sentence. This means that he's been put on probation. If he does not break the law during this period, and fulfils the conditions for the probation, which includes paying the fines, the judge will dismiss the sentence.

So he continues playing football.

Thanks dear, so he won't be starting the season cos of the Probation right??, don't mind my too many questions, I ask what I don't know or understand, that's how I learn so I don't make a fool of myself when having an argument with friends or something
Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by Aviero: 12:25pm On Jul 06, 2016
Lily4star:

Thanks dear, so he won't be starting the season cos of the Probation right??, don't mind my too many questions, I ask what I don't know or understand, that's how I learn so I don't make a fool of myself when having an argument with friends or something
He'll start the season. He'll continue with his usual life. But he's been told to pay a fine. If he doesn't, then he'll go to jail.

Also, if he fvcks up within the two years he's been given, he will go to jail.
Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by Lily4star(f): 12:31pm On Jul 06, 2016
Aviero:
He'll start the season. He'll continue with his usual life. But he's been told to pay a fine. If he doesn't, then he'll go to jail.

Also, if he fvcks up within the two years he's been given, he will go to jail.

Thanks so much, who's winning tonight's Euro Semi Final Game, I go with Portugal all the way to the Trophy, you??
Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by Aviero: 12:34pm On Jul 06, 2016
Lily4star:

Thanks so much, who's winning tonight's Euro Semi Final Game, I go with Portugal all the way to the Trophy, you??
Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by Lily4star(f): 12:39pm On Jul 06, 2016
Aviero:
Força Portugal! We're on the same path.

I see you are active here (sports). You play football?

Nah, but a die hard Man United fan, I try in terms of Playing the Play Station tho, I love football
Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by Aviero: 12:50pm On Jul 06, 2016
Lily4star:

Nah, but a die hard Man United fan, I try in terms of Playing the Play Station tho, I love football
Die hard? Wow, I just hope Mourinho wouldn't cause trouble for you and bail, as usual. grin grin
Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by Lily4star(f): 12:54pm On Jul 06, 2016
Aviero:
Die hard? Wow, I just hope Mourinho wouldn't cause trouble for you and bail, as usual. grin grin

Mou will succeed , I can bet anything on that, I am sure of at least a trophy next season
Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by Aviero: 12:57pm On Jul 06, 2016
Lily4star:

Mou will succeed , I can bet anything on that, I am sure of at least a trophy next season
You are ready to bet anything? This'd be fun.

And I'm sure you'll lose the bet. I'm in.
Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by Lily4star(f): 1:01pm On Jul 06, 2016
Aviero:
You are ready to bet anything? This'd be fun.

And I'm sure you'll lose the bet. I'm in.

Deal
Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by Aviero: 4:23pm On Jul 06, 2016
Lily4star:

Deal
Lol. So what's the bet?
Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by Omero(m): 4:54pm On Jul 06, 2016
Hmmmmmmmm! what shld I say now! someone help me out.
Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by Lily4star(f): 4:58pm On Jul 06, 2016
Aviero:
Lol. So what's the bet?

No idea , what ideas do you have??
Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by Aviero: 5:27pm On Jul 06, 2016
Lily4star:

No idea , what ideas do you have??
Errm, first off, do you receive PMs? i sent one. This is going to be a season-long bet
Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by Lily4star(f): 5:50pm On Jul 06, 2016
Aviero:
Errm, first off, do you receive PMs? i sent one. This is going to be a season-long bet

I don't, why not say it here??
Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by Aviero: 6:50pm On Jul 06, 2016
Lily4star:

I don't, why not say it here??
There might be a need to keep track of u.. Lol. So that when it fails, you don't run.. grin

But to he honest, the deal will make more sense offline..
Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by Lily4star(f): 10:34pm On Jul 06, 2016
Aviero:
There might be a need to keep track of u.. Lol. So that when it fails, you don't run.. grin

But to he honest, the deal will make more sense offline..

I don't roll Luke that, I don't have any reason to run, btw I'd extremely happy tonight, my team Portugal has finally gotten to the Final, the job is one step away, I want them win it, I pray they do
Re: Barcelona Soccer Star Messi & Father Sentenced To 21 Months In Prison - PHOTOS by Aviero: 10:54pm On Jul 06, 2016
Lily4star:

I don't roll Luke that, I don't have any reason to run, btw I'd extremely happy tonight, my team Portugal has finally gotten to the Final, the job is one step away, I want them win it, I pray they do
I am very happy too. I believe they will. . smiley smiley

(1) (Reply)

WWE, Supersport Agrees With Gotv And Dstv To Televise Raw And Smackdown / Ex-soccer Star, Uche Okechukwu And His Dad Flee Home For Fear Of Being Kidnapped / 8 Of The Best Players Never To Have Won A Top-flight League Title

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.