Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,443 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:40 AM

Difference Between State University And Federal University - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference Between State University And Federal University (53582 Views)

Lady Expelled From Federal University Lokoja Unjustly Speaks / Landmark University And NASDRA To Launch Agric Satellite / 5 Benefits Of Choosing A Private University And Polytechnic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between State University And Federal University by nwatiti(m): 6:06pm On Jul 06, 2016
state university and federal university which one is better??
give reasons for any one u support.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jul 06, 2016
1) State university is more expensive than a federal university

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by samuelshowunmi1(m): 7:06pm On Jul 06, 2016
Yeah....... but can u guys just briefly explain better pls.........

1 Like

Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by emmasege: 7:17pm On Jul 06, 2016
Federal unis, particularly the first and second generation universities. They have the best of academics in the country and attract the best of students. Secondly, there's diversity of culture & religion in federal unis which prepare you for the ideal life. Every federal university is expected to promote federal character in terms of admission & appointments, which is rarely observed in state universities. In a typical federal university, you'll find students & staff from regions other than where the university is located.

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Standing5(m): 12:42am On Jul 07, 2016
Ask NUC. They regulate State, federal and private unis. Most of the NUC men are state uni grads who had post grad studies in Federal uni.
For me, the level of funding is the most important difference between them. Fed unis have better funding compared to state unis. Private unis have no guaranteed funder and are thus most expensive.
Because the NUC men are state and fed uni grads the tend to cover for the short-comings of public schools (state and fed unis) during inspection.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by d33types: 2:09am On Jul 07, 2016
state universities mainly admit their 'indigenes' and hardly from other states.
in federal universities, you have a more heterogeneous mix of students hence encouraging versatility and cultural diversity/tolerance

eg students from AAU (edo state's university) are mainly edo residents and few indigenes resident outside the state compared to uniben which combines Lagos, kano,enugu students. you are likely to see an ab0ki or an nna boy in uniben than aau.

state schools are far more expensive than federal schools and even extra expensive for the non indigenes .
eg UNIBEN fees about 4yrs ago was 9700 for medicine when delsu was ~70k for indigenes in medicine and even more for non indigenes.

federal uni 's tend to have better standards, employ more lecturers , have more student population. and are ranked higher by employment bodies.

disadvantages? they're more difficult to get into.
State or federal, they're almost all shitty as far it's Nigerian public education.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Standing5(m): 2:30am On Jul 07, 2016
d33types:
state universities mainly admit their 'indigenes' and hardly from other states.
in federal universities, you have a more heterogeneous mix of students hence encouraging versatility and cultural diversity/tolerance
In fed VCs are local and they do admit locals through catchment area

1 Like

Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by hardbody: 7:59am On Jul 07, 2016
Interestingly all the comments are correct. They are bits or parts of a complete whole. In my uni back in time, i had guys from the core north, they were on scholarship, guys from the state where the uni is located were very few, we also had benue community, rivers, etc. Parapo meetings and parties and cultural days were the bomb, lagosians came with these their egungun and they were the best singers and drummers in all those clandestine paroles. In my next life I will still go through a federal uni. Not talking down on state unis but the competition and diversity is something else. The first set of 42 names sent by JAMB to my faculty then on a cut off of 295 had igbos, a few hausas and some yorubas only.

The rest almost 200 people came through means best known to them but it was fun and competition was rife. It was also cheap.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by ayooladee(f): 1:25pm On Jul 07, 2016
grin
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jul 07, 2016

I'm I the only one here to read comments?
btw
Where re our brothers that schooled in state Universities?
Come and defend ur state uni.
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Sirmuel1(m): 1:28pm On Jul 07, 2016
Following
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Cherishing(f): 1:28pm On Jul 07, 2016
More prof in fed than state

In state its very easy for any politician to get this their annoying doctorate award even when its very obvious that the person can't even pass a school cert .
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by ajalawole(m): 1:28pm On Jul 07, 2016
State and private university are for the fantastically kworrupt, whole federal university are those who are suffering and smilling cheesy
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by bright007(f): 1:28pm On Jul 07, 2016
k
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by bigerboy200: 1:28pm On Jul 07, 2016
1)Federal unis are way cheaper. The highest school fees I paid was 15,000 naira and that was in 100 level, subsequent fees were between 7,000 - 9000. even accommodation was and it's still cheap (2650 per session). I doubt if that is obtainable in any state school in Nigeria..
2)In terms of infrastructural facilities such as lecture theatres, The federal universities are very much equipped that their state counterparts cos they are funded by the federal Government..I once entered one of the SW state uni's lab(make I no mention d name..lol) and I can confidently state that the chemistry lab of a private school I once taught in is more equipped that that Uni's chemistry Lab.
3)The cultural diversity is more in the fed univ than state uni.
4)The best lecturing brains are "'arguably" in the fed univ.
5)The bragging rights is something for another day grin grin...If u present U.I and Adekunle Ajasin Univ to an SS3 student hoping to get a univ plavement next year,we all know what his/her choice would be....
before I leave let me just state that your worth isn't truly defined by the Univ u attended but by how u develop yourself fit in with the stars. I have seen pple from private univ smash records at postgraduate levels and I hav also seen pple from UK who couldn't answer basic and fundamental questions related to their field of study.. in the end,it's all depends on you...

7 Likes

Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by shamack: 1:28pm On Jul 07, 2016
HNN
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Cherishing(f): 1:29pm On Jul 07, 2016
ayooladee:
grin
Try this brain boaster for meaningful comment next time.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Godswillnwaoma(m): 1:29pm On Jul 07, 2016
State universities are very expensive compared to federal universities.
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by shamecurls(m): 1:29pm On Jul 07, 2016
State universities re Advanced secondary schools while Federal universities re the standard universities.

Just like saying Unilag VS Lasu grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Zico5(m): 1:30pm On Jul 07, 2016
Ok
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Thobiy(m): 1:31pm On Jul 07, 2016
SETHWORLD:
1) State university is more expensive than a federal university
Yeah
This is only correct reason
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by teewai3(m): 1:33pm On Jul 07, 2016
Difference? One is FEDERAL, the other is STATE. grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by pointstores(m): 1:33pm On Jul 07, 2016
state university is very expensive why federal is affordable and standard
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Femich18(m): 1:34pm On Jul 07, 2016
Federal govt uni is better...its cheaper and have got a serene and conducive environment for learning.
Also the standard in Federal Uni can't be compared to that of the state owned institutions

1 Like

Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by xender(m): 1:35pm On Jul 07, 2016
undecided

1 Like

Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by biz9ja(m): 1:35pm On Jul 07, 2016
Decide for yourself
OAU vs LASU
Unilag vs IMSU
UI vs OOU

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by MrCow(m): 1:36pm On Jul 07, 2016
well, they are different due to; Diversity, Funding, swagg, educational quality

Diversity: we have more ethnic mixture in federal compared to state counterpart

funding; Federal Uni are better funded and cheaper unlike state uni

Swagg: common, the difference is always clear. there is a way students in federal uno Swagg up. You will sha depict
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Adesiji77: 1:36pm On Jul 07, 2016
cool
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Sunnycliff(m): 1:41pm On Jul 07, 2016
For any of my kit and kin schooling in Nigeria, I would always want him to go to a Federal School! The experience is awesome!
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Shobizz(m): 1:48pm On Jul 07, 2016
Fed Uni are more cheaper dan state uni.

Dat nt even d issue, d issue is d seggregation btw Poly n Uni.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by duality(m): 1:53pm On Jul 07, 2016
Federal or state. You, as an individual have the responsibility of making greatness out of yourself. I've seen good people from both federal, state and private universities. I've also seen those who couldn't measure up from same universities. In nigeria, the university, does very little. It's all about you... The little i meant was, it's easier to get 1;1 and 2;1 in some universities than others. Nothing more.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Have A Very Low Second Class Lower, Can I Go For Masters Direct? / Moment A Graduating Lady Ignored Handshake From Her Teachers / 9 English Words You Might Be Pronouncing Incorrectly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.