Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,486 members, 7,836,896 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:15 PM

Nigerian Man Killed In Italy Racist Attack - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian Man Killed In Italy Racist Attack (624 Views)

Photos Of The Man Killed At Onitsha Main Market / Vikings And Eiye Fight In Italy: 3 Nigerian Cultists Arrested (Video) / Nigerian Man Killed For Selling Drugs In South Africa. Graphic Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Killed In Italy Racist Attack by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jul 07, 2016
A man has been arrested by Italian police investigating the killing of a Nigerian immigrant which the government has condemned as a racist attack.
Police say a row broke out at Fermo on Italy's west coast when racist abuse was hurled at the partner of Emmanuel Chidi Namdi, 36.
The violence escalated when a traffic pole was pulled from the ground. The victim later died in hospital.
A local man described as a well-known "ultra" football fan is being held.
Amedeo Mancini, 35, was arrested on Thursday on suspicion of racially aggravated manslaughter. His lawyer said he "did not mean to kill" and that he had punched the Nigerian in self defence.
Fleeing Boko Haram
Emmanuel Chidi fled Nigeria with his partner Chinyery, 24, after their families came under attack from jihadist group Boko Haram.
Their families were killed in an attack on a Nigerian church in 2015, Italian media reported.
The prime minister tweeted that the government was against racism and hatred
As the couple made their way across the Mediterranean, their baby died.
They finally arrived in Fermo last November and were taken in by a local Christian charity. They had a wedding ceremony in January, conducted by local priest Father Vinicio Albanesi, which was unofficial because they had lost their documents, Rai TV reported.
What happened on Tuesday evening is unclear. However, it is thought that the attacker subjected Chinyery to racist chanting and then grabbed her.
At that point the traffic pole was pulled out of the ground as Emmanuel Chidi and his attacker came to blows. He was taken to hospital in a coma but never recovered.
#Emmanuel trending across Italy
Local churches which have worked with migrants have recently been targeted by small bombs, according to Father Vinicio Albanesi.

Reform Minister Maria Elena Boschi said Emmanuel's wife Chinyery had "the embrace of all Italy. We must remain human"
Prime Minister Matteo Renzi was among many across Italy who took to social media to express disgust at the killing, using the hashtag Emmanuel.
"The government today is in Fermo with Don Vinicio and the local institutions in memory of Emmanuel. Against hate, racism and violence," he wrote.
Visiting the town, Interior Minister Angelino Alfano told reporters on Thursday that the seed of racism had to be stopped before it could bear fruit. "The heart of Italy isn't represented by those who carried out this murder."
He also announced that Emmanuel Chidi's partner Chinyery had been granted refugee status.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36733575

Re: Nigerian Man Killed In Italy Racist Attack by datGuyJoo: 9:31pm On Jul 07, 2016
Thanks for posting this. This is really sad.

I read this on the NY times paper and was pissed about the headline. it read “Killing of Nigerian Asylum Seeker Stuns and Saddens Italy”

I get people can be sad but it is a bit insensitive to the family. Feels like Italy is sad and stunned to be seen as racists when the focus should be on the family that just lost a Husband, Father, Son, Uncle, Cousin.

http://www.naijarepublic.com/killing-of-nigerian-asylum-seeker-who-was-with-his-family-is-sad/
Re: Nigerian Man Killed In Italy Racist Attack by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jul 08, 2016
I've always known the Italians to be racists, however I thought they had gone over that page. Really saddening, moreso considering that our Government would pretend nothing has happened.

(1) (Reply)

Should I Cry???? I Got Scammed Yesterday / Shocking Video Of Police Killing Alton Sterling - GRAPHIC / Man Who Dresses Himself Like A Lady To "Hustle" Arrested In Ghana (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.