Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,095 members, 7,811,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:13 PM

Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? (2568 Views)

Considering Nigeria's Economy, How Many Children Are Ideal For A Family? / Raising Children: Abroad Or Overseas / How Many Children Will You Love To Have? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? by blackspade(m): 8:50pm On Sep 09, 2009
Hello everyone, I've been living abroad since I was 10 and I still have a long way to go before I have kids, but I've been thinking, is it best to have children abroad or in Nigeria? When I get married, I want to have 5 children. Would it be best to have these children and raise them abroad, or should I go back to naija? Some people say there are a lot of bad influences in the west and its harder to have many kids here. What do you think? Can some parents who live in the west tell me your experiences and how many children you've had abroad? Thanks. smiley
Re: Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? by posakosa(m): 9:00pm On Sep 09, 2009
Give birth to your child in America, Nothing beats a U.S. citizenship, then mail your child home immediately for boarding school and then bring them back up here for UNI.

Often times though, religion help direct a child's path regardless of where they are raised.

1 Like

Re: Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? by Fhemmmy: 9:34pm On Sep 09, 2009
No matter where you give birth to a child, the presence of the father and the mother as the role model is so important.
Give birth to a child in America and neglect the child, they will be worse than Ajegunle kids, have you ever seen people with opportunities and yet have no clue how to take advantage of those?
Just love your kids and plan the best for them, and regardless of where they were born and raised, they will get to the promise land
Re: Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? by posakosa(m): 9:43pm On Sep 09, 2009
Fhemmmy:

No matter where you give birth to a child, the presence of the father and the mother as the role model is so important.
Give birth to a child in America and neglect the child, they will be worse than Ajegunle kids, have you ever seen people with opportunities and yet have no clue how to take advantage of those?
Just love your kids and plan the best for them, and regardless of where they were born and raised, they will get to the promise land

Have you ever heard stories of father= professor, mother=professor, , child= a useless Arrow.  undecided

It takes prayer and a lot of direction. Even when the parents are the perfect role models, Children do not always turn out soo well.

Location matters IMO. But prayer, direction, and understanding also help.

I hear children these days <in Nigeria> start joining cults from secondary school. not sure how true this is.
Re: Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? by Fhemmmy: 9:52pm On Sep 09, 2009
posakosa:

Have you ever heard stories of father= professor, mother=professor, , child= a useless Arrow.  undecided

It takes prayer and a lot of direction. Even when the parents are the perfect role models, Children do not always turn out soo well.

I hear children these days <in Nigeria> start joining cults from secondary school. not sure how true this is.

Being a role model is not about the kinda job the man and the woman are doing.
it is about them living by examples
Re: Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? by chic2pimp(m): 10:02pm On Sep 09, 2009
posakosa:

Have you ever heard stories of father= professor, mother=professor, , child= a useless Arrow.  undecided
Hell yea. Bring up your kids in the right way and when they grow up there is a less likely chance of them desisting from it.
posakosa:

U've got a point here. However this is less likely to happen when compared to those kids whose parents were not perfect role models.
posakosa:

Of course location matters. A child brought up in surbabian america is more likely to have been better trained @ home  than a kid brought up in ajegunle.
Re: Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? by posakosa(m): 10:12pm On Sep 09, 2009
chic2pimp:

.Of course location matters. A child brought up in surbabian america is more likely to have been better trained @ home  than a kid brough up in ajegunle.

or Urban America, undecided undecided undecided
Re: Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? by Hauwa1: 10:25pm On Sep 09, 2009
i think good environment is also important as the kid is growing up. if u raise your kids in the ghetto, they come out ghettoish. if you raise them in a good neighborhood, they will come out good. parents should not neglect their children because they want to work to make that money for building mansions in the villages. if one of them is earning good money, the other should stay home or do part time work. as long as you have the money to eat good food, pay your bills, save some, buy insurance etc you are good. when dad comes back from work, do not feel too tired to check homework/ask whatsup with school etc.

poster, born anywhere you want but make sure you and your wifey are there to bring them up.
Re: Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? by chic2pimp(m): 2:29am On Sep 10, 2009
posakosa:

or Urban America, undecided undecided undecided

Exactly. It depends on the area in which u reside. On the whole,nigeria is not a better place to raise kids.
Re: Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? by Sissy3(f): 2:39am On Sep 10, 2009
born and raise your kids in north america, east america, northern nigeria, southnorth, westeast, or southwest. wherever, all that matters most is your

parental skills, disciplinary skills, and your commitment to your role as a parent. parenting is the hardest and sometimes in many instances most rewarding job ever . and more often than none, what you put in, is what you get.

while sometimes the environment plays a role in this, to me it matters less(imho) compared to the other things listed. you will see a child raised in suburban who still turn out bad compared to the one raised in a rural area. there are bad influences everywhere. there isnt a perfect place to raise kids.
Re: Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? by sweetpie23: 10:43am On Sep 10, 2009
posakosa:

Give birth to your child in America, Nothing beats a U.S. citizenship, then mail your child home immediately for boarding school and then bring them back up here for UNI.

Often times though, religion help direct a child's path regardless of where they are raised.

now people go by mail also grin
Re: Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? by posakosa(m): 10:45am On Sep 10, 2009
sweetpie23:

now people go by mail also grin

yes na!
Re: Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? by blackspade(m): 6:53am On Sep 11, 2009
Thank you for all of your replies. Giving my kids American citizenship is something I should never pass up, especially knowing how unstable things are in naija. . .

. . .firm upbringing is another good point many of you touched on. Discipline along with strong belief in god is a good recipe for good kids. Environment plays a role too, but now that I think about it, it's not the most important aspect of bringing up children. I've lived here in South Central since I was 12, and I'm doing well despite all of the COUNTLESS bad influences around me. My parents always discipline me when needed; they make sure I stayed clear of gangs and others vices (but they couldn't stop me from discovering what to do with ganja cheesy), keep me very active in church (mostly when I was younger, not so much anymore), they make sure I always keep a grade point average of at least 3.0 (if not, thrashing of a lifetime, and I would get no leisure time), and they always want to know who my friends are and who their parents are. I think if I follow my parents model one day when I have kids, they will come out good too (no matter the environment).

So yeah, I think upbringing is much more important than environment. Thanks again. smiley
Re: Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? by iice(f): 12:33pm On Sep 13, 2009
~Sissy~:

born and raise your kids in north america, east america, northern nigeria, southnorth, westeast, or southwest. wherever, all that matters most is your

parental skills, disciplinary skills, and your commitment to your role as a parent. parenting is the hardest and sometimes in many instances most rewarding ever. and more often than none, what you put in, is what you get.

while sometimes the environment plays a role in this, to me it matters less(imho) compared to the other things listed. you will see a child raised in suburban who still turn out bad compared to the one raised in a rural area. there are bad influences everywhere. there isnt a perfect place to raise kids.

Word though i would like them to experience survivor style boarding school grin
Re: Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? by mrsb(f): 2:15pm On Sep 14, 2009
Really tough question. My kids are half Nigerian half British. We are in Lagos for now and we'll keep them there here til eldest is a wee bit older and education becomes more critical. For now, I feel like they are getting the best of the cultural and spiritual side but not getting the best education and healthcare. They are learning about their African heritage, they are growing up in a wonderful Christian environment (my family don't do the whole churchy thing) and they have a huge amount of respect for their elders, etc. They are growing up into great kids. I have my in-laws to thank for speaking Yoruba to them and taking them to the "village" etc.

Our aim is for them to get their core education in the UK (we'll obviously have to pay through the nose for it) - but always spending school holidays back in Nigeria - and when it comes to Uni, it will be up to them.

I recently met a Dr in London who does loads of NHS work in Hackney and most of the Nigerian families he looks after are sending their kids back to Lagos for boarding school as standards in the local schools are so bad. He claims to have seen a massive reversal in the past 5 years especially.
Re: Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? by tRoOE(f): 4:39am On Sep 15, 2009
damnnnnnnnnn 5kids shocked shocked shocked,gudluck

@topic
It doesn't matter were you have your children, what they need is guidance from you and prayer.
"Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it"
Children needs love,affection,discipline and guidance.
when a child needs are not met, they lead to problem.
Re: Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? by AniLee(f): 7:38am On Sep 15, 2009
Well, myself have been living abroad ever since ever and its not bad. It jus depends on where you get comfortable. Some countries have really good international relations so if u in a country like dat, no worries but if you ever been to a country like Bw (a substantial amount of xenophobism exists there) then you wouldnt wanna live there. And getting married would also contribute greatly to wear and whom you are marrying. Your husband may want you to gain his citizenship or it may be beneficial in itself. But thats really up to you. And since naija dont giv dual citizenship you may wish to reconsider before denouncing your citizenship by right. You sound young, so just take your time and make the right decisions. Ultimately I say, raise your kids where you feel most comfy aite Mama. And I dont approve of boarding schools btw. Myself, settling i been to so many countries and so far I have found Italy and Mauritius suiting my needs. And I wouldnt regret/hesitate raising my kids in any of these. Maldives is also too good to be true, but eish i dont them kids will really pay attention to study and will turn out into permanent vacationers instead.
Re: Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? by blackspade(m): 11:43pm On Sep 20, 2009
Thanks.
Re: Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? by bawomolo(m): 2:17am On Sep 22, 2009
boarding school is overrated. 

If you want to send your kids to boarding schools, send them to the private ones like Lifeforte and co.

You can gain "survival" skills without going through unnecessary heart ache. Nigeria is a rotten country so i don't see how those survival skills have produced results.
Re: Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? by canuck(m): 10:44pm On Sep 23, 2009
@Poster

It's one thing for your future kids to have US citizenship, and another to have them raised in Naija.

Why would you live in the US since age 10 and even consider the thought of having your wife deliver kids in Nigeria (or France or Germany)?? I'll bet a buck you're not currently in a serious relationship, otherwise, your babe will give you one dirty look at such a ludicrous suggestion. S Central is definitely not a place to plan to raise kids. . .Glad to know you turned out OK.

Parents who send their kids to naija boarding schools have no clue what they're exposing their kids to - From personal experiences of my contacts who did so, only about 20% of the kids turn out well, The majority of the kids are wayward because papa/mama dey obodo oyinbo dey slave for dollars/sterling.
Re: Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? by Joan4427(f): 5:03pm On Jan 12, 2010
canuck:

Parents who send their kids to naija boarding schools have no clue what they're exposing their kids to - From personal experiences of my contacts who did so, only about 20% of the kids turn out well, The majority of the kids are wayward because papa/mama dey obodo oyinbo dey slave for dollars/sterling.

It all depends on the situation, kid, the parents, and the school.

In most cases, especially where the kids raised in foreign countries are demonstrating head-strong behaviors, schooling in Nigeria may very well be a great idea. Nigerian boarding schools, at least the ones I've heard of, help to clip a rebellious child's wings and teach them that they are not the most important thing on the surface of the earth.

These days, children bred in Western countries pick-up bad behaviors from their peers, internet, etc, and the easy availability of computers and cell phones are not helping matters. However, if willing to send your kid back to Nigeria for secondary school education, you ought to decide if boarding school may even be a better shelter for your kids than public or private day schools.

A good instance of where boarding school has helped a rebellious teen turn out good is well-documented in the "Feddie Girl" novel by Nona David. Check it out. It's about the hilarious adventures of an American teen in a Nigerian Federal School and documents the whole juicy details from a fresh angle you've never imagined.

Those of you considering whether or not to send your kids to boarding schools can make up your mind after reading through this book. It is a non-biased fictionalized recount of an American girl's experiences prior to, during, and after the boarding school exposure.

Novel Back Blurb:

FEDDIE GIRL is an international adventure/thriller about the experiences of an American teenager in a Nigerian boarding school. This novel offers a unique reading experience--witty, fun, and exhilarating. The masterful suspense, action, and sub-plot will curl your toes, keep you reading all night, and leave you thirsting for more.

Carlotta Ikedi (A.k.a Feddie Girl) has never liked school. Not in California. Not in Oklahoma. When her exasperated parents ship her off to boarding school–in West Africa–Carlotta faces a life, culture, and existence unlike anything she’s ever known.

School rules and regulations, rising bell, lights-out, manual labor, inspections, dining time, prefects, punishments, mean bunkmates, and visiting days–it’s all here. But author Nona David takes Carlotta’s story a step further when her adventures lead to unfortunate incidents that threaten to drive her American family into the clutches of infidelity and organized crime.

Boarding school doesn’t get any better than this…

For those who have experienced the boarding school life, the adventures of Feddie Girl will bring those memories crashing back… For anyone else, get ready to see the world as Feddie Girl.

This novel is available on the publisher's website: https://bernardbooks.com/links.html

Also available in Nigeria at an affordable price. See location and contact details on the publisher's site. (Use link above)

Read sample Chapters and reviews on the publisher's site or go to this thread on this forum: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-365502.0.html
Re: Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? by mamagee3(f): 7:48pm On Jan 12, 2010
It doesn't matter where you train a child
It's just the parenting skills, you use in training them
Re: Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? by Joan4427(f): 4:37pm On Jan 17, 2010
Peer pressure and outside influences can make or break a child. The kids spends up to half of each day with his/her friends, so go figure.
Re: Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? by coolier(f): 7:08pm On Jan 17, 2010
You live abroad, have your children there. You'll agree with me they have the best medical facilities and manpower.
Re: Is Having Children Abroad Best? How Many Children Have You Had Abroad? by mamagee3(f): 3:41am On Feb 10, 2010
posakosa:

Couldn't have said any better. . .

(1) (Reply)

Please Vote For My Baby She Deserves It This Time / Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? / How Can I Overcome Stage Fright

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.